Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted
Image courtesy of Matt Blewett-Imagn Images

The Twins have 10 players eligible for arbitration this offseason, meaning those players remain under team control but the club must decide whether to tender them contracts at a potentially increased salary, or non-tender them and make them free agents.

Notably, the deadline to tender or non-tender falls in late November, before the expected lockout commences on December 1st. In a winter where some decisions may be delayed, these ones will need to be made on time. Some are very straightforward, while others have plenty of room for debate. 

Here's a look at the 10 players the Twins will need to decide on, from most service time to least. For each, I included which year of arbitration eligibility they're in (i.e. how far away from free agency), their projected 2027 salary per MLB Trade Rumors, and the percentage of likelihood they'll be tendered a contract by the Twins. 

The last one is of course my subjective opinion, briefly explained for each, but I'd love to hear in the comments section if others have differing takes.

Who stays and who goes for the Minnesota Twins in arbitration?

Anthony Banda: Final year of eligibility
MLBTR projection: $2.3M
Likelihood of tender: 40%

A borderline case, like many in the bullpen. Banda was rounding into form after a bad start before he went down with a season-ending lat injury. The 33-year-old's track record is unexceptional aside from a couple solid years with the Dodgers. The projected salary is not exorbitant, but not necessarily a great deal either. I see this as basically a coin flip, dependent on the front office's broader ambitions for upgrading the relief corps.

Dean Kremer: Final year of eligibility
MLBTR projection: $6.5M
Likelihood of tender: 80%

Not quite a lock but close. Kremer's one additional year of team control was part of the reason Minnesota parted with an intriguing prospect to acquire him at the deadline. He looked as good as they could have hoped after the trade. 

Bailey Ober: Final year of eligibility
MLBTR projection: $6.9M
Likelihood of tender: 30%

I would view this as more likely if the Twins didn't add Kremer. As things stand, the two are pretty redundant as back-end veteran starters with similar price tags. Ober held his own this year but Kremer demonstrated a lot more upside in the second half. That said, we know the Twins like Ober, and keeping them both for $14 million is not totally outlandish — you can never have too much pitching depth.

Joe Ryan: Final year of eligibility
MLBTR projection: $9.6M
Likelihood of tender: 100%

No-brainer. The only way Ryan is not a Twin in 2027 is if he gets traded (which I consider a very real possibility). Notably, his contract does have a mutual option for $13 million, but I have to assume the Twins will decline and pay the $100K buyout to save a few million bucks.

Trevor Larnach: Final year of eligibility
MLBTR projection: $6.3M
Likelihood of tender: 30%

He was a borderline candidate last time at this year, and generally made the Twins look smart for it. Posted a career-high OPS that ranked third on the team. But with Walker Jenkins and Emmanuel Rodriguez having arrived, there's just no room for him in the Minnesota outfield. I can see a reasonable chance of a sign-and-trade situation, but the Twins have notoriously struggled to find a market for their lefty corner outfielders in the past. I don't think they want to head into the lockout with Larnach on the books for next year.

Royce Lewis: Second-to-last year
MLBTR projection: $5.1M
Likelihood of tender: 60%

The trickiest and most weighty decision among this group. The notion of simply letting Lewis go for nothing over $5 million coming off his healthiest season would've been incomprehensible a few short years ago, but it's where we are at. Money is not the issue. He's turned into a poor offensive first baseman on a team that needs to improve its lineup, and he finished the year looking as bad as ever. I think there's a slightly better than 50/50 shot of a tender because the Twins could probably get something in a trade, but from my view there's little chance of him being on this team next Opening Day.

Cole Sands: Second-to-last year
MLBTR projection: $1.3M
Likelihood of tender: 30%

Again: cost not an issue, but more so realistic upside at this point. Good as he looked in 2024, he has a 5.04 ERA since, and lost almost all of this past season to injury. You almost wonder if they could non-tender and re-sign him to a minor-league deal.

Tommy Nance: Third-to-last year
MLBTR projection: $1.2M
Likelihood of tender: 50%

The $1.2 million figure isn't much, but it's probably enough to pencil him into a role in the 2027 bullpen. Nance was fine but he's nothing special. If the Twins want to meaningfully invest as they claim, spending money to upgrade this spot feels like a clear opportunity. Then again, nothing wrong with keeping him around as an inexpensive lower-leverage option.

Kody Clemens: Third-to-last year
MLBTR projection: $3.6M
Likelihood of tender: 100%

He's got an argument for team MVP. There's no question he's coming back with that modest salary increase. This is Clemens' first year of arbitration eligibility, meaning he won't be a free agent until after the 2029 season. What a find.

Taj Bradley: Third-to-last year
MLBTR projection: $4.5M
Likelihood of tender: 100%

Next to Clemens atop the list of candidates for MVP of the 2026 Twins. Also three years away from free agency. Bradley has become a building block for the rotation. The only way he doesn't get tendered a contract is if he's already reached agreement with the team on an extension before then, which is on the table. One way or another, he'll be back.

There are some easy calls here, but also a handful where reasonable minds can differ, especially with the Twins promising a more aggressive approach to improving the roster. Who would you tender, who would you cut loose, and where do you disagree with my percentages? Share your arbitration predictions in the comments.


View full article

Posted

I generally agree with your probabilities. Just a couple observations.

1. I think the Twins pick up Ryan's option. Why cause bitterness and slam the door on an extension over a few million bucks. And he may get the higher amount from an arbitrator anyway.

2. I'm fine moving on from Ober. As stated above, he and Kremer are redundant. I have no faith in his ability to get batters out. I would rather watch Matthews and Prelipp.

Old-Timey Member
Posted

Every player they have is priced below free agent retail price. 
Take Banda, for example. For that price in free agency the Twins can probably get Taylor Rogers to return and not much better. Nance is projected to earn $1.2M and the union is pushing for a $1M minimum wage.

Even Larnach at $6M is a much better buy than what they gave Josh Bell last winter. I doubt they can find a $7M reliever who would pitch better than Ober could out of the bullpen.

Posted

Well laid out Nick, it's hard to argue with any of your conclusions.  I had been mistakenly thinking we would actually trade Larnach but you're right, with Jenkins and E-Rod having arrived there is no need to even offer him arbitration and risk being stuck with him again.  It's time to clear the table and go with younger players.  Larnach will probably end up being a value singing for some team willing to invest $6-$6.3 million in a LH DH/LF with a little pop.

There really are very few tough decisions here.  I would keep Kremer because he can throw harder than 88 mph and move on from Ober.  Ober DOES have some value, so offering them both and trading Ober is OK with me.  I can envision seeing Lewis at 1B, but just have to believe they can find a much better option.  

Posted

I would non-tender Banda, Ober, Larnach and Lewis. Each will go to another team and have brief flashes of success and some brief flashes of failures, and we will have to read posts saying, "We should have kept him", but Lewis and Larnach have had multiple chances and are owed too much in arbitration at their respective positions, to justify  another season with the Twins. Plus it will be a message to the other Twin players. That message is: "Veterans who have been given multiple opportunities, but who can't play defense, must produce offensively at a very high rate, (i.e. Keaschall) or move on." Banda and Ober, while potentially in 2027, need to step aside for higher ceiling, more talented and younger pitchers with more potential. For every Brent Rooker, there are a dozen Dave McCarty's and Anthony Slama's. That's the nature of professional baseball. 

Posted

When does the new pitching coach get named?  I’d want that person involved on the decisions on the pitchers.  
 

The Twins helped add velocity to some pitchers in the past.  Is there any hope that mechanics could help reverse the lost velocity that Ober has had.  He can pitch.  I include him on my team next year as the Twins regularly need a lot of starters.  

Posted

Which of those players realistically could be on the ‘28-‘30 Twins?  Bradley and Clemens only:  Keep.

Which of those players could realistically help significantly in ‘27 and be possible valuable trade bait during the season? Ryan and Kremer only. Keep.

Which of those players are so cheap and may have some legitimate upside to possibly be a contributor in ‘28-‘30? Only maybe Sands.

Everyone else should be gone.

Posted

It feels like we ask ask this question every year, and every year the answer is the same: Players that have any value at all will be tendered.

Despite all of the hate he seems to get on this website, Ober continually meets or outplays his contract. Does anyone here really think the Twins will let him walk with nothing in return? Insane...

Nance and Banda are replaceable. Everyone else on this list will be tendered. That does not mean they will be on the roster come spring, but they will be tendered.
 

Posted
28 minutes ago, rv78 said:

Bradley and Clemens for sure. Kremer probably. Ryan will be traded. The rest need to go if TP is serious about improving the team.

I think we can sign Ryan and still move him before the deadline

Old-Timey Member
Posted
35 minutes ago, tarheeltwinsfan said:

I would non-tender Banda, Ober, Larnach and Lewis. Each will go to another team and

get a bigger contract in free agency than they would have in arbitration. 
 

Why do you want the team to destroy value by giving away players who are earning less than they would on the open market? Get international bonus money in return if nothing else.

Banda is the best LHRP on the roster. Ober provided $15M of value in 2026. Larnach had a better year than Bell. Lewis is worth $5M if he repeats last season and a lot more if he improves at all.

Verified Member
Posted

In Lewis' case, I don't see them non-tendering unless they sign a much better first baseman.  Who might that be?  Not seeing that happen.  They will tender him and "IF" they later sign a 1B in free agency(highly unlikely),  they could then trade him.  But as a servicable 1B and 3B, they will keep him.  He still has potential with the bat, but losing him before the start of free agency is highly unlikely IMHO.

Ryan, Taj and Clemens are definate tenders.  Kremer is highly likely.  The rest could go either way, again IMHO.

Posted

I'd trade all of them except Bradley & Clemens but that is a little different topic. If we can't trade them unfortunately, we have to make some decisions. It'd be tough to let Larnach go for nothing but most likely it'll happen. I agree with TwinsGFP, RPs that can be easily replaced are gone.

Posted

With Lewis being able to play 1B, 2B and 3B would he not be a candidate for an utility role? He has decent speed and a decent glove. I am hoping the Twins find a left handed 1B to possible platoon with Lewis. He is too young to give up see Larnach and Lee from last year. If the Twins are going to play in October they must strengthen the back end of the roster. At 5 million I think Lewis can help in that area.

Posted

Im tendering a contract to everyone except Sands and Larnach. Do not want to get stuck with Larnach again. Sands has been terrible. 

Lewis has value as a trade candidate. He shouldn't be on the team opening day. 

Banda, Nance, and Ober can battle for BP spots. I know it was 1 appearance, but Ober got it up to 91mph during that outing and pitched great. Shorter stint with higher velocity on his fastball may work. Banda was pitching very well when he got injured. If he can do that again, he would be a welcomed arm in the pen. Nance can be a low cost low leverage arm. If we upgrade from any of these guys, its easy to trade relievers. 

Ryan, Clemens, Taj are no brainers. 

Kremer I keep around in case of injury. He can fill a rotation spot or be good trade bait. He pitched well after coming over from Baltimore. 

Posted

I sign them all for the total of $45.5M. ……..10 guys that are all roster worthy, IMO.

Buxton - Lopez - Hoffman - Caratini will make roughly $58M between them.

That’s $104M ……… 11 guys at $900K minimum salary & the total spen is $114M.

There ZERO reason to think the Team Organization can’t afford or needs to trim payroll.

This assumes correct 25 …….plus a handful of other young guys at $500K for the year, plus Correa’s $10M brings total to $125M.

The spending budget should be $140M at a minimum. Can sign all these guys as insurance and then trade, as preferred, after labor negotiations.

If a new FLOOR is established ……. there was talk mid-summer of $175M being the bottom end mandatory spend…….probably doesn’t take place immediately but $110M can’t be the budget goal!!

Verified Member
Posted
32 minutes ago, Linus said:

None of the dollar amounts are anything to worry about. The decision is simply do you want the player back. 

And if you can easily upgrade that player's roster spot, you do not want that player back. We must IMPROVE!

Verified Member
Posted
5 minutes ago, PuckettPond said:

If Royce Lewis accepted coaching would he be a better hitter?

Not only does he compulsively swing at the low outside slider. he tries to PULL it. He's 27 years old. Coaching is not his problem.

Verified Member
Posted
18 minutes ago, soyouresayingtheresachance said:

Im tendering a contract to everyone except Sands and Larnach. Do not want to get stuck with Larnach again. Sands has been terrible. 

Lewis has value as a trade candidate. He shouldn't be on the team opening day. 

Banda, Nance, and Ober can battle for BP spots. I know it was 1 appearance, but Ober got it up to 91mph during that outing and pitched great. Shorter stint with higher velocity on his fastball may work. Banda was pitching very well when he got injured. If he can do that again, he would be a welcomed arm in the pen. Nance can be a low cost low leverage arm. If we upgrade from any of these guys, its easy to trade relievers. 

Ryan, Clemens, Taj are no brainers. 

Kremer I keep around in case of injury. He can fill a rotation spot or be good trade bait. He pitched well after coming over from Baltimore. 

You said almost exactly what I'm thinking.  Several of the guys that are tendered should be shopped aggressively like Lewis and Ober.  I doubt you get much in trade for them, but they could be part of a bundle trade or take a flyer on a player.  100% on non tendering Sands and Larnach.

Posted
2 hours ago, HrbieFan said:

See you later Banda, Ober and Trevor! 

no offense man to you but I've never forgotten this and it was 40 years ago in Baltimore. My son had a Hrbek t-shirt on with his number. Trevor being 4 years old at the time so at that age you're giving them a little rope walking around but be very watchful and he walked up to Hrbek. he looked at my son. oh no! not here he said. you know that's okay if that's what you want as a player but in comparison Greg Gagne took the baseball. signed it and under his name he puts John 3:16. Nice nice guy. I pulled my son away and he would from a slight distance. staring me down more than once. that's the only player in my following the Minnesota twins history I ever had a problem with which has been going on now for 61 years.

Verified Member
Posted

Lopez, Ryan, Bradley, Able, Prilipp, Kramer, Mathews.  Where do you fit Ober into this list.  Maybe you trade Ryan, but with his last half of last year, would that be selling lower than necessary.  Do you want other clubs to look at the Twins and say, at the end of spring Training I can get a major league bottom half starter for pennies on the dollar.  

Clemens will be tendered, Launach hopefully traded, but probably non-tendered, Lewis is 50-50, but finding a value 1B for $5 million is not easy.  Nance maybe, Banda depends on whether you can resign Minter.  

I am guessing MLB will have to get about a $120 minimum payroll just to get labor piece, don't see how owners will get a salary cap unless they are willing to lose all of next year. 

Posted

If they're genuinely, earnestly trying to win in 2027, Royce has to go. It's a shame and an incredible waste of talent, but a team that's trying to win can have his level of 1B production in the lineup.

I hope he revives his career, but it likely won't happen here.

If they're trying to nibble their way into WC contention, then I can see them keeping Royce and continuing to kick the can down the road. It's possible that he comes back fairly strong and makes himself a better trade chip. Unlikely, but possible.

But why would you nibble when you're at the end of the Lopez and Ryan contracts? It's 2027 or bust for this team - barring some starting pitching miracle that emerges next year.

 

Old-Timey Member
Posted
1 minute ago, SE23 said:

And if you can easily upgrade that player's roster spot, you do not want that player back. We must IMPROVE!

That's a really simple perspective. How are you going to upgrade that roster spot? Free agents will cost more for less value. They can replace Larnach with prospects but they don't have enough depth anywhere else to let players go for nothing. 

Posted
2 hours ago, DJL44 said:

Every player they have is priced below free agent retail price. 
Take Banda, for example. For that price in free agency the Twins can probably get Taylor Rogers to return and not much better. Nance is projected to earn $1.2M and the union is pushing for a $1M minimum wage.

Even Larnach at $6M is a much better buy than what they gave Josh Bell last winter. I doubt they can find a $7M reliever who would pitch better than Ober could out of the bullpe

 

1 minute ago, DJL44 said:

That's a really simple perspective. How are you going to upgrade that roster spot? Free agents will cost more for less value. They can replace Larnach with prospects but they don't have enough depth anywhere else to let players go for nothing. 

I don't know. it says I got a reply from something I said to you. I'm sorry I don't recall that and it's not showing here. what I may have said. I don't know what you were replying to. I'm sure your reply is good but I don't think it came from me

Posted
2 hours ago, DJL44 said:

Every player they have is priced below free agent retail price. 
Take Banda, for example. For that price in free agency the Twins can probably get Taylor Rogers to return and not much better. Nance is projected to earn $1.2M and the union is pushing for a $1M minimum wage.

Even Larnach at $6M is a much better buy than what they gave Josh Bell last winter. I doubt they can find a $7M reliever who would pitch better than Ober could out of the bullpen.

well this is good except about Josh Bell. I know he doesn't play the field much cuz he can't very well but people can make huge money if they can come up the bat and get some runs in only. I would love to have a team full of 96 run batted in a season. he led the team in RBIs with 96. that's valuable. can he do it again? probably not but his value this season was what any team is looking for. he also has a very nice kind attitude. if I receive more than one message I can only tap on one and the others are gone just like to put that in there.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
3 minutes ago, beckmt said:

Lopez, Ryan, Bradley, Able, Prilipp, Kramer, Mathews.  Where do you fit Ober into this list. 

You fit Ober in the bullpen. He can regain his lost velocity pitching in relief. Even if he doesn't, I'll take his numbers the first time he faces a batter (.630 OPS against, 3.75 ERA). Those are better than Yoendrys Gomez' numbers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...