• Create Account

Twins option their third-best reliever and activate Buxton

I hope this is just the first step in clearing the useless players off the roster. Shoemaker needs to be released and Dobnak sent to AAA. Simmons, Happ, and Colome should be traded if deals can be found to get out some small part of of their salaries.

51 minutes ago, beckmt said:

This was bound to happen at some point, when the young outfields seem to be doing ok, and Arraez can cover most of the infield.  Next man out could well be Sano.

No way they are giving up on Sano.  Its a lost year.  They are not flushing that money.  Plus, stranger things have happened than Sano finding his 2019 form.

I would like to think there is a method to the madness, but right now I don't see a method or a madness.  

A wild guess:  since no one keeps 7 outfielders (when they come back from the IL), is it possible that they are playing Kepler and Buxton to showcase them for trades?  If not, do they plan to sign Buxton to an extension before the trade deadline?  Because if not, his trade value drops considerably.  Or are they planning on trading Larnach or Garlick (Kiriloff appears to be one of their chosen prospects making good)?  Forget about the other 3 outfielders we have used, they don't appear to be in the long term plans.  But you don't send down a 3rd catching option (which gives a lot of flexibility in late innings substitutions) as well as other positions he can play, unless you have an idea of how to use (or move) 7 outfielders.  Maybe move Kiriloff to first base full time, moving Sano to DH/3rd/1st and open up the outfield for the other 4?  Oh, crap, now they have ME playing musical chairs with the roster!  I still say play the guys in the positions they play best, and use trades to fill holes when needed, NOT stock your minor leagues with "prospects".  

And maybe we wouldn't be in this mess if we would ask our starters to carry us deeper into games so we don't have to keep an 8 man bullpen, not to mention the shuttle bus between here and the Saints, leaving us with only a 4 man bench (one of them being the only other catcher as of now).  But then, who ever heard of a starter facing a lineup a 3rd or 4th time?  Their computers might overheat.

I enjoy watching him play.  He could have one of the catching positions and be ready if they need him at another position.  He may not be the best but he plays his heart out every single at bat or play.  Those are the types of players fans go to see.  For some of us it is not about numbers but heart and the love of the game shines through all the time.  We have so many below average players with zero personality.

I'm always rooting for Astudillo, but there's not really a spot for him on the roster, except as "emergency fill-in guy". He's not hitting, doesn't get on base, has no power, no speed, and is below average defensively at every single position he plays.

Would rather see what we have in guys like Rortvedt, Gordon, Jeffers, Kirilloff, Larnach etc then toss in La Tortuga just for fan service. Because that's what it feels like at this point. He's just not really a major league player at this point.

Well played Broc...well played!

Just my opinion, but I ABSOLUTELY believe Astudillo is a ML player. And I have watched his defense closely every single time I've watched him, except that I have missed him at 2B and CF. And I ABSOLUTELY believe he brings something to this team beyond being an OK hitter and OK/solid/decent defender wherever he plays. He is that last guy on a MLB roster who can fill in wherever you need. He is that last guy on an NFL roster who is a great ST player and brings energy. And he is that last guy on an NBA roster who seldom plays, but brings that passion and energy to play who sits for days and then comes in to play hard and give or get fouls and sets a tone.

Astudillo is more than a decent/mediocre player. And if you've ever played on a team at any level you understand what I mean. Hell, just being a fan of any sport at any level you knkw tbere are just those guys who contribute and fill in here and there and help but also are part of the construction of the TEAM .

I've said for a while, however, that I thought the Turtles time with the team was limited simply due to an eventual roster crunch. 40 man or not, I can still see a place for him yet this season and maybe 2022. And while I like him and appreciate all he does and brings to the team, I am also very surprised and happy to see him sent down to allow Gordon to remain.

My feelings on Gordon have always been mixed. Despite his lineage, his draft report card had him 50/55 in all categories. That's a top 5 pick??? But then he put up solid numbers. And like a lot of young prospects, he started slow at his next level and then acclimated and did well. He made steady progress. And then he was hampered by an intestinal disorder. As a father of a child with Crohn's Disease, I can assure you that an intestinal disorder is nothing to dismiss. But he get's his life habits under control, has a great start to 2019, and then has a bum ankle just when the Twins need someone. Enter Arraez with about 2 weeks of AAA time and the rest is history.

Gordon then misses ALL of 2020 due to Covid and is hospitalized and loses....by reports...25lbs....which he couldn't afford to lose to begin with. So he finally gets his shot in 2021, this mixed up season, and hits, plays defense OK, steals bases, and adapts at least decently to CF on the fly. Wow! How mixed up could this kid's life, much less his baseball career life be, and he's here NOW showing there might actually be a reason the FO stuck by him?

I know it's SSS,  but how can you not be excited for this kid? He's one of just a few we've seen in this lost season with others to come. I feel bad for Astudillo, but I feel GREAT for Gordon.

My hope for him is not only continued playing time....you played him at SS in ST so let him play there there now in a lost year to see if he could be at least decent there....but I hope he will work with a strength coach to add good muscle and get his body back to what it should be and could be. A few more pounds of man-muscle, still only 25yo and his past considered, he could find a little more power and maybe his arm even gets stronger.

7 hours ago, puckstopper1 said:

Assuming no additional injuries (BIG assumption), it will be interesting to see what the Twins do when Garlick, Refsnyder (both in the next week or so) and Cave (possibly mid July) are healthy enough to play again.

I would like to see Gordon, Kirilloff and Larnach stay on the big league roster.

I agree that the latter are all keepers while the former all question marks.

15 hours ago, Mark G said:

I would like to think there is a method to the madness, but right now I don't see a method or a madness.  

A wild guess:  since no one keeps 7 outfielders (when they come back from the IL), is it possible that they are playing Kepler and Buxton to showcase them for trades?  If not, do they plan to sign Buxton to an extension before the trade deadline?  Because if not, his trade value drops considerably.  Or are they planning on trading Larnach or Garlick (Kiriloff appears to be one of their chosen prospects making good)?  Forget about the other 3 outfielders we have used, they don't appear to be in the long term plans.  But you don't send down a 3rd catching option (which gives a lot of flexibility in late innings substitutions) as well as other positions he can play, unless you have an idea of how to use (or move) 7 outfielders.  Maybe move Kiriloff to first base full time, moving Sano to DH/3rd/1st and open up the outfield for the other 4?  Oh, crap, now they have ME playing musical chairs with the roster!  I still say play the guys in the positions they play best, and use trades to fill holes when needed, NOT stock your minor leagues with "prospects".  

And maybe we wouldn't be in this mess if we would ask our starters to carry us deeper into games so we don't have to keep an 8 man bullpen, not to mention the shuttle bus between here and the Saints, leaving us with only a 4 man bench (one of them being the only other catcher as of now).  But then, who ever heard of a starter facing a lineup a 3rd or 4th time?  Their computers might overheat.

We as fans tend to look for the perfect solution in the moment.  This is a lost year.  What really matters is managing assets and roster construction for 2022 and beyond. A 3rd catching option means squat in the grand scheme.  They also don't know exactly who they can trade.  So, there are a number of players who will be on the roster for the sake of auditioning them for other teams as well as our own team.

16 hours ago, puckstopper1 said:

Assuming no additional injuries (BIG assumption), it will be interesting to see what the Twins do when Garlick, Refsnyder (both in the next week or so) and Cave (possibly mid July) are healthy enough to play again.

I would like to see Gordon, Kirilloff and Larnach stay on the big league roster.

I have been thinking about that too.  Just let Cave go.  I don't expect Refsnyder to continue to play at the level he has played but I still like him.  I thought he was better than Cave or Wade in CF and he has position flexibility.  Garlick is the one that is tough.  Maybe they find a trade partner but I am torn because he fits well with our LH corner OFers.  If they could get a good return for Kepler that might be ideal. 

I think optioning Astudillo was the right call, because it shows the organization is committed to using this year as a development/retooling year. While I love his versatility and personality, having him on the team would take away at bats from guys like Gordon, Rortvedt, and Jeffers. We need to evaluate those guys more than anything else this year so we know what we have. Same for Larnach and Kirilloff. We know what Astudillo can do, and what he can’t do, and we have him under control for next year if we need his services. Sending him to AAA is the right call if your goal this year is to evaluate your next wave of young players. Same for Shoemaker (DFA), Cave, and Garlick. Keep Refsnyder around when he’s ready. 

We will miss Astudillo because like my fried the mushroom he us a fun guy (fungi). Anybody? Is this thing on? I’ll see myself out. 

On 6/19/2021 at 1:32 PM, Thegrin said:

Turtle was fun, but his fielding isn't good.  His speed isn't good. His pitch selection isn't good and he is a double play waiting to happen.  I wish him well and hope he loses all his fat.

Here are the players who have played for the Twins this year with a worse dWar than Astudillo.  Astudillo's hitting has been worse than his defense.

Astudillo is performing as well as any other player in the 26th roster spot is expected to perform.

I expect his minors stint will last about a month, after the Twins are done giving as much playing time as they can to the players who are trade bait.

image.png.393fef6f167ca09388184d843932294c.png

20 hours ago, Dodecahedron said:

Astudillo is performing as well as any other player in the 26th roster spot is expected to perform.

Which is a way of saying he should not have an assured spot on the roster and the team should be looking to upgrade at all times.