Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Who is your top position player FA target?

wsnydes

Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to look into the upcoming free agent class much, so my lack of time has turned into curiosity.  The pitching on this squad gets most of the attention, and rightfully so.  But, what position player(s) are you most interested in the Twins bringing in?  

Javy Baez. Gold glove defense at SS and will be the cheapest of the "big name" SSs that will allow for the Twins to sign more pitching. 

Don't want to add Seager to the list of walking wounded that populate the top of the Twins talent list even though I think he's the best player available. Love Story, and trust his glove, but think he'll make more than Baez and don't know if I'd want to be the one to pay to see what he is on a team that doesn't play 81 games a year in Denver. But if he's comparable contract wise to Baez he may be my pick. Correa is in the same boat as Seager. Better than Baez and Story, but injury waiting to happen. I think Semien re-signs with Toronto so he doesn't make my list. 

No other position players peek my interest. SS or bust for me. Starling Marte is intriguing, though.

4 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

Javy Baez. Gold glove defense at SS and will be the cheapest of the "big name" SSs that will allow for the Twins to sign more pitching. 

Don't want to add Seager to the list of walking wounded that populate the top of the Twins talent list even though I think he's the best player available. Love Story, and trust his glove, but think he'll make more than Baez and don't know if I'd want to be the one to pay to see what he is on a team that doesn't play 81 games a year in Denver. But if he's comparable contract wise to Baez he may be my pick. Correa is in the same boat as Seager. Better than Baez and Story, but injury waiting to happen. I think Semien re-signs with Toronto so he doesn't make my list. 

No other position players peek my interest. SS or bust for me. Starling Marte is intriguing, though.

SS is my prime target too, as it likely will be for many.  I'm not entirely sure I want a long term deal, but I know that I'm not immediately opposed to it.  It'll depend on who they sign.  I really like Seager, but your rationale for Baez makes a ton of sense.  Pitching being the obvious priority, spending a ton on a SS doesn't make a lot of sense unless they've already loaded up on pitching and somehow have room in the budget.

1 minute ago, gunnarthor said:

None, if we have the money to bring in a big free agent, I want it to be a pitcher.

That said, to answer this thread, Carlos Correa would look great in a Twins uniform.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a BIG free agent.  Maybe there's someone that's under the radar that might be a good fit somewhere in the lineup.  

2 minutes ago, wsnydes said:

SS is my prime target too, as it likely will be for many.  I'm not entirely sure I want a long term deal, but I know that I'm not immediately opposed to it.  It'll depend on who they sign.  I really like Seager, but your rationale for Baez makes a ton of sense.  Pitching being the obvious priority, spending a ton on a SS doesn't make a lot of sense unless they've already loaded up on pitching and somehow have room in the budget.

I think there'll be room to spend some on a SS. There are some big name, aging vets on the pitching market, but the Twins should have 60M at least to spend this year. If that's the case they aren't going to be able to get all the arms they target and if they're spending all that on pitchers they're likely overpaying for some middling arms. I'd prefer to grab the glove to put behind the pitchers if they can't get the top arms they want. Ideally they get a handful of top arms and spend almost all of their money there, but I don't think that's realistic and having a glove like Baez at SS can help with run prevention as well.

3 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I think there'll be room to spend some on a SS. There are some big name, aging vets on the pitching market, but the Twins should have 60M at least to spend this year. If that's the case they aren't going to be able to get all the arms they target and if they're spending all that on pitchers they're likely overpaying for some middling arms. I'd prefer to grab the glove to put behind the pitchers if they can't get the top arms they want. Ideally they get a handful of top arms and spend almost all of their money there, but I don't think that's realistic and having a glove like Baez at SS can help with run prevention as well.

Baez also makes sense in attempting to lure Berrios back when he hits free agency. More likely we sign Simmons back for 1 year at $2M, and hope to see a prospect by the middle of the season. I think they go cheap and temporary at SS. More likely make a splash at starting pitching, after trying to go cheap and temporary last winter w/Happ and the Shoeless one.

2 minutes ago, In My La Z boy said:

Baez also makes sense in attempting to lure Berrios back when he hits free agency. More likely we sign Simmons back for 1 year at $2M, and hope to see a prospect by the middle of the season. I think they go cheap and temporary at SS. More likely make a splash at starting pitching, after trying to go cheap and temporary last winter w/Happ and the Shoeless one.

I wouldn't be surprised by that outcome at all. I think their main goal in a SS signing is a glove that can support the young pitching coming up, and Simmons is still the best in that regard if they're doing a short, cheap deal. So I think that's abundantly possible.

6 minutes ago, In My La Z boy said:

This is what I'm worried about.  The biggest reason that I'd like them to go long term at SS is because I fear they'll go ultracheap on a short term deal.  If they're going to do that, I think I'd rather they just start the prospect on Opening Day.  Going ultracheap just seems like a total waste to me.

And I agree that they're more likely to make a splash on pitching.  

Chris Taylor, he can play just about anywhere on defense, he would be a good guy to have start the year in LF, and if Larnach forces his way up, he can become a super utility guy. ( he basically has played every where for the Dodgers this year) Plus he strikes out quite a bit, and the FO seems to love guys that that.

They need a quality Left Fielder, period.

Larnach is slow, has a weak arm and is on the Baseball Reference leader board for errors in left field.

Simmons is among the top  BR leader board for SS players and the  Twins cannot afford any one above  him.

I would love Seager or Correa. If they can't get one of the top tier SS I also like the Chris Taylor option.

A lot of comments here along the lines of "I don't want them to spend so much money on a SS, I want pitching." While that's fine in theory it disregards the fact that the Twins actually need to convince any FA to sign here. You can't just say "I want a pitcher" if all good pitchers say no. And the SP free agent class seems far weaker compared to all the shortstops that are available, so there will probably be a lot of competition. 

If the Twins find a real top tier SS who is willing to sign here for a reasonable amount they should just do it instead of waiting for another FA who might never sign or a prospect who may never reach his ceiling. 

I would rather see if Martin is ready and role multiple players thru SS.  That will get us another year to Lewis or Palacous,  We need to spend money on pitching.  To me we have to extend Buxton or we might as well go to a 3 year plan.  I am more in a trade mode to identify a pitcher (Marlins, Cleveland, TB) and send Kepler and others for a decent starting pitcher.  Most players on the Twins are decent moneywise, so it could work.

For the SS if you are going to buy one, I would look higher up the list, Baez might just get a QO and accept it.

53 minutes ago, beckmt said:

I would rather see if Martin is ready and role multiple players thru SS.  That will get us another year to Lewis or Palacous, 

Do you mean, see if Martin is ready to play SS? He's probably the least likely to end up a shortstop of the 3 players mentioned, and they're all more or less at the same level of the minors (Lewis would be a level ahead at least, if not in the majors now, but the injury basically puts him back a year, so in a similar spot to the others.)

I do like the general logic of leaving flexibility at shortstop, though, and not spending lots of capital on an older player who would tie up the position for multiple years.

I go along with pitching first and SS next. At this time it seems there will be a few high quality SS on the market so maybe a mid tier SS could be signed on a reasonable deal. Otherwise, the trade option would seem to be the way to go. Just please leave Polo at 2nd. Try Gordon, Martin, Polacios, or whoever but let Polo stay at 2nd.

Everything @chpettit19said.  This team has a ton of money to spend and they should spend half of it on the most important position on the field defensively.  We have some arms near-ready but nothing ready at SS anytime soon.  (The kid from Toronto is a LF)

We can still spend 30ish million to bring in one good starter and Pineda and some filler to help pitching depth.

As for names, Correa is the best defensive player, Story might be the best overall player, but let the big fish circle them.  We should throw a ton of money at Baez or Seager and lock that position in place for a half a decade.  They'll be a better fit and value for us.

Resigning Simmons might kill my fanhood.  Seriously.

While Baez would be tempting on a one year deal(if possible), Twins need pitching, period, as well  as resigning Bux.  With a probable $40-50MM available to spend this offseason(hopefully after Bux's incentives), they must add two top-of-the-rotation starters plus one closer-type and a second good pen arm.  While they should be able to trade for one #2 pitcher, a top starter like Stroman, Ray, Rodon, Gausman is going to cost $20-25MM/yr.  A closer-type, like Kimbrel, maybe $15 MM, so there simply isn't enough money for one of the good SS FAs.  Resigning Simmons for a lesser amount makes the most sense.  Baez might be the most available FA SS but adding him would only mean the lineup is even less contact-hitting oriented.  We need more high OBP players, not more all or nothing ones.

Of course, if Pohlad and Falvey are not serious about contending as soon as next year, then forget the above narrative.  In either case, it still makes little sense to spend big on the SS position.

20 hours ago, RpR said:

Agreed. I think Kepler is moved for pitching so Kiriloff is in right with Sano at first. That being said, I don’t know who. Reunion with Eddie Rosario? He should be cheap, and as much as we hate his blunders, he is beloved here, and I think the feeling is mutual.

Am happy going into 2022 with the current team of position players under contract.  If they believe they can contend AND they aren’t comfortable with Polo or Gordon at short, sign a veteran who is strong defensively to a one year contract.  Not a big Simmons fan, but no problem bringing him back.

The Twins need to make attempts to trade for a couple of decent starting pitchers. They will need to offer more than another team is willing and then fill with free agents and prospects. Thus, my top choice for a position free agent is Starling Marte who brings a glove, speed, contact, and a decent on base percentage to the team. He also fills the holes left by players I am trading to acquire pitching. My alternate choice is Trevor Story.

20 hours ago, RpR said:

Larnach is slow, has a weak arm and is on the Baseball Reference leader board for errors in left field.

Simmons is among the top  BR leader board for SS players and the  Twins cannot afford any one above  him.

Larnach is a right fielder. They need to find a way to play him there. If I had to guess, I'd say that one of Celestino or Martin is our long term LF.

I like Chris Taylor as our opening day shortstop. He won't command the money or term that one of the top guys will, but he will likely provide the competence we're lacked all year from Simmons while we wait for Lewis and/or Martin to emerge. And, because he won't cost a ton, he will afford us the opportunity to invest in the pitching we desperately need.

No way I spend money on an outfielder. Martin is your every day left fielder day one, or after they can use the system to keep his rights another year. Celestino is your backup. Larnach is a right fielder, as is Kepler. 

SS is the only non pitching position I'd spend money on, and Buxton.....

I'm in the Galvis, Iglesias, Simmons camp for a one-year SS deal - someone who will play the position every day but who we wouldn't freak out if he was displaced at some/any point of the season.  I do not trade any of the players who had "down"  or injured seasons (Kepler, Garver, Sano).  Larnach stays in AAA, OF is an extended Buxton, Kepler, Celestino, and Martin.  IF is Kiriloff, Polanco, SS, Donaldson - Arraez, Gordon.  Sano is everyday DH, plus 1b and emergency 3b. 

That makes the bench Jeffers, Arraez, Gordon, Martin, but all guys who will get rotation time and ABs.  Still trying to figure out how we get Miranda into the lineup, but I think that happens (either this off-season or mid-season next year) when we eat money and deal Donaldson.  I think your quality LF is Celestino/Martin, creating a strong defensive outfield with no plodding sluggers.

Dollars are spent on Pineda (1yr/$9M), Rodon (5 yrs/$125M, and yes I realize that is a huge leap of faith, but he's young and built for the long haul), to couple with Ober/Ryan and I think Winder or Balazovic or Duran fills the 5 slot, Sands/Vallimont/Woods Richardson/Strotman; some combination of Jax, Barnes, Dobnak, Smeltzer, Thorpe, Burroughs, Gant are still around (some not) for depth.  Maybe Maeda late in the year.

2 high-level relievers.  Yup, once Miranda and Lewis (hope, hope, hope) man the left side of the infield, this is a shockingly young and athletic team built much more for 2023-2024; Kiriloff, Polanco, Lewis, Miranda, Celestino, Buxton, Kepler, Garver, Sano - Jeffers, Martin, Arraez, Gordon (though all 4 OFs can play center so maybe the 4th bench spot goes to that plodding slugger).  Rodon, Ober, Pineda, Ryan, Winder.  I think Buxton extension, Rodon, Pineda, 2 relievers plus SS spends all the money.

I still like the core of this team when healthy and getting a fresh start in 2022, WITH help on the mound. The Twins projected payroll for 2020 would have sat almost dead on at $150M. Two years later, with fans back and the game back to a full season, and the FO stating they want to compete and believe they can, that means $50-60M available to re-tool the 2022 Twins and only MATCH the projected 2020 payroll.

That means $18-22M, roughly, for a top SP. Might even have to bump it up slightly. Secondly,  unless they just want to toss $ at the bump, they need to make a move similar to Odorizzi/Maeda where they acquire a good, solid SP for some young talent. What the cost would be is just too hard to predict. Third, they really need to add a decent 3rd rotation piece. Think Pineda or similar for what, $6-8M if you get lucky? Fourth, you almost have to spend a combined $5-8M on a couple decent BP arms.

I understand this is about PLAYERS and not pitchers, but I use this as a reference point in regard to what the team needs and what is affordable. I just don't see where the $ is available for one of the TOP SS on the market to effectively build a team. 

Unless the FO just knocks it out of the park in a rotation re-build, or gambles on TWO experienced arms and trusts the other 3 spots to young talent, Baez or anyone else just don't fit payroll wise.

I love the Taylor idea on a 1yr, or 1+1 type of deal. Maybe even a 2yr. Galvis is my #2 SS option, and might be the most practical fit. My #3 is, somewhat grudgingly, Simmons with the hope his bat would more clearly resemble his previous 4yrs, but at a reduced salary. 

After that I can't give you an exact name right now, but I want a RH 4th OF for $2-4M who can play defense and provide some solid offense to spell Kepler/Kirilloff/Larnach. Think Pillar on a rebound or someone similar. 

Spend the $ on pitching but bring in a good defensive SS who can handle a bat and that quality 4th RH OF. I'm happy with that.

7 hours ago, Sconnie said:

Freddy Galvis can man the fort at SS adequately for 2 mil year to year. He’s not flashy with the glove, hits OK, and is cheap.

buy pitching in the offseason. A whole lot of pitching

Yep go from top line SS to , a , what the hell was he thinking level SS.

He we got that just put Polanco or Arraez as Short.

I lean toward pitching but if pitching isn’t available or the market is absurd, SS is the obvious hole to fill. Lots of very good candidates, many arguments to be made for signing any of them.

Except Simmons. If Simmons is on this roster in 2022, I will start flipping tables. 

37 minutes ago, RpR said:

Yep go from top line SS to , a , what the hell was he thinking level SS.

He we got that just put Polanco or Arraez as Short.

Galvis UZR150 is 2.6, and was 1.4 in 2021. World class? No, but not bad.

For comp Polanco - career, -10.7, 2021, -7.4.. Simmons - career, 15.9 absolutely awesome, but 2021 -2.2. 
Arraez career -30.8, doesn’t have 2021 stats at short

fielding stats vary a lot, but Galvis will bring a decent glove.

Galvis wRC+ 81, and 2021 is 97.

Simmons career wRC+ 87 and 2021 58! 
Polanco career wRC+ 110, 2021 129 Arraez career wRC+ 112, 2021 100

Simmons has been awful in every facet. I’m so done with him.

Arraez, hits well, but not enough to overcome his fielding deficiencies.

Polanco isn’t a short stop. He is an awesome 2B, let’s see him stay there