Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

whosafraidofluigirussolo

Verified Member
  • Posts

    673
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by whosafraidofluigirussolo

  1. Postseason starts in half an hour. The two intra-divisional matchups in the wild card round, ATL vs PHI and BOS vs NYY, seem like great matchups and potentially great series. I looked at all the matchups to try to separate who I'd like to see win from who I predict will win, but at this point it's actually not that hard to see all my sentiment picks winning this round. Maybe I think that every year. Anyway, I'm going to say PHI over ATL; BOS over NYY; HOU over CWS (reluctantly); and SD over CHC in this round. And give me Tampa Bay or Boston against Milwaukee in the world series. The Brewers have done so much well and it would be fun to see them finally get over the hump this year.
  2. With the bullpen getting the use it has in this series and the next off day not until Thursday, I half expected to see a fresh arm swapped in today. I suppose the best choice to option might be Adams and he’s thrown less in recent days. Maybe he goes a couple innings today and we see Raya for the next series?
  3. Having Funderburk throw only 2 pitches looms large now that Rogers is going a second inning. Especially since they ended up parading out all the lefty relievers in a row anyway.
  4. Wonder what the calculation was on letting Ross bat for himself in the DH spot (taken over via pinch running for Bell) in the last half-inning. If one of the previous hitters had gotten on base, would Shelton have gone to Roden or Clemens? Seems like taking any chance to extend a one-run lead would have been worthwhile regardless, and subbing another hitter for the rookie utility player batting .140, in a spot where you don't have to worry about defensive substitution, wouldn't have hurt.
  5. Total armchair managing, and Clemens' sac bunt worked okay, but I might have used Jeffers to pinch hit in that spot rather than Rodriguez' spot... They had two men on, the lefty reliever wasn't at the 3-batter minimum yet, and he was less likely to walk the pinch hitter with no outs. Seems like the time to use the RH PH was when conditions were really good to really pull away.
  6. Minnesota will have to carry him on the Opening Day roster or expose him to waivers This is technically true, but there’s essentially zero chance a legit prospect gets waived after three weeks in the majors, no? The exposure to MLB now is valuable, but I doubt anything they see in three weeks will make them give up on Rodriguez before, say, trading Larnach, non tendering Wallner, even maybe DFAing Roden.
  7. Why lol Edit: In seriousness, I guess I'm excited about Culpepper and Houston and think they're likely to get Neto-like production with 6 years of control from one of them within the next year or so. So, not seeing it, but that's absolutely an armchair GM perspective.
  8. Absolutely - seems like Gausman to the Cubs could be the single deal at this deadline that most makes me say "why couldn't the Twins do that?" The prospects going the other way seem modest (MLB is somewhat higher on them than Fangraphs.) Gausman is a rental, but so what? He's good!
  9. In the upcoming pitching matchups for next week, I assume it should be Kremer (not Matthews) going against KC on Thursday?
  10. I’m not sold that any single deal like this means convincingly that the game’s economics are broken—but it’s a bummer that someone other than one of the very biggest-market, biggest-payroll teams didn’t make this deal, regardless of the reasons. Among others, Fangraphs had a well written argument for the Brewers or Rays to deal for Skubal: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-rays-or-brewers-must-trade-for-tarik-skubal/ Certainly the Brewers’ player development is good enough that I’d expect they could replace the contribution of Hope and Ryan-like prospects in short order.
  11. Here's hoping - like a prayer, if you will - that the Twins send Cecconi off to his bedtime stories early tonight.
  12. Counterpoint: If Tom Pohlad wants to show he’s serious about taking steps forward in competitiveness rather than steps back, a QO to Jeffers would show that intent without hampering roster building or budget long-term.
  13. Possibly interesting bit from a chat run by one of Fangraphs' prospect writers today: 2:09 richwp01: I know there are too many draft questions, but can you weigh in on time to MLB? Roguh approximation: Roch, end of 2027 to get feet wet Emerson, end of 2028 Lackey 2029 if he spends 2 years developing as catcher (Will Smith, Cal Raleigh, Adley Rutchsman, Drake Baldwin, Shea Langeliers all took 3 years in minors , Dingler 4.) 2:10 Brendan Gawlowski: Those all seem like reasonable baselines; we’ll know a lot more about each of them when they get to the minors. Obviously this is all just guesses, but maybe a reminder that even as an advanced college catcher, Lackey is likely not a Jeffers replacement next year.
  14. Thankfully "who is the backup CF" is not the biggest question in Twins lineup and roster construction because Buxton has been relatively healthy - but seeing Kreidler in that spot is a reminder of how fascinatingly shifty that role has been, even in half a season. It seems that the current evaluation is they're better with Gray at SS, Clemens at 2B, and Kreidler in CF than with Kreidler at SS, Gray at 2B, and some combo of Clemens and Martin in CF/RF...? And/or maybe this is how they prioritize OF defense, based on Ryan's fly-ball tendencies?
  15. Ha, came here to post this too. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2026/05/marlins-designate-chris-paddack-for-assignment-dfa.html Most of the Twins Paddack experience was not great, but the MLBTR article does underline that he’s rarely been tried in short relief and he’s done well in that limited experience. Worth a call if he clears waivers?
  16. Not arguing that Arcia won't get the backup IF slot, but I'm curious how the 40-man roster decisions will shake out, the more veterans on minor-league deals that get spots. This roster has (IMO) a large middle tier of players who aren't reliable building blocks but have some upside, and players with a little less upside who have seemed at some point to be in serious consideration as MLB depth. In other words, it's not a great team as built now, but there's not a lot of true end-of-roster chaff. Potentially or likely they need to make room for: one or two relievers, if Chafin and Hendriks show anything even close to old form, or if someone else from the non-roster group (Altavilla et al) steps up; and then Arcia if he's really the best IF backup.... Cuts: Alex Jackson is likely (as covered in the article); Outman maybe, if the team trusts someone else to be the backup CF; Zak Kent was another team's 41st man a couple weeks ago and could probably be dropped. Hard to see a lot of other easy cuts, absent an unfortunate injury or a late trade.
  17. Do they DFA Kent to make room for Altavilla? In the roster projection here, Jackson ends up DFA and Chafin needs a spot, so that series of moves is neutral, but the 40-man is currently full. I could see a late trade changing the calculus, but I'm not sure Altavilla (or any of the non-roster pitchers other than Chafin or a healthy Hendriks) offers enough promise to force a roster decision otherwise.
  18. If one of the team's big bullpen acquisitions gives up a left-on-left grand slam to a minor-league infielder wearing #90 ... Is that good?
  19. Gray is interesting, in that he seems to have some potential to hit enough not to be an offensive black hole for a utility guy, and that raises the floor of the bench. However, I remember talk when the Twins picked up Kreidler that he was capable of playing both SS and CF (he's currently listed as an outfielder on the official team roster.) If they decide in spring training that Kreidler can back up both spots, then I think he starts the year in the backup SS gig. It makes for an efficient use of a bench spot and gives them more flexibility to use corner-only (or corner-mostly) guys like Roden, Martin, Larnach, et al.
  20. Seeing Andújar’s contract, I wondered whether the Twins would rather have done that deal (or, say, beat it by $1M) than Bell at $7M.
  21. If money is truly no object to the Dodgers, I wonder how much of Teoscar Hernández' contract they would eat in a trade...
  22. I'm trying to squint and see this as comparable to acquiring Willi Castro a few years ago (because I assume the Twins imagine Bruján starting out in a role like Castro did with the team.) The comparison doesn't quite work. Castro was a better hitter with the Twins than before, but was also a meaningfully better hitter than Bruján has been prior to joining the team, and was a couple years younger than Bruján is now. Bruján does have just 600-some PAs over 5 years in the majors (Castro had almost 1100 before joining the Twins), if that adds any glimmer of hope for him making real improvements, unlikely as that is. In any case, if the Twins think Bruján can back up shortstop, then I imagine he is ticketed for the Castro role or at least has inside track on a bench spot over Ryan Kreidler and Orlando Arcia. Low bar to clear, but that seems fine.
  23. So under this scheme, Wagaman gains at-bats while Martin and Roden lose them - I still don't get why that's a good thing.
×
×
  • Create New...