• Create Account

Akil Baddoo crushes Homerun in first major league at bat

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard not to be happy for Akil from my perspective. He would have been behind Rooker, he would have been behind Kirilloff, and if he wasn't already he likely would have found himself behind Larnach, Wa

The Twins did no such thing. They exposed Baddoo at the beginning of the offseason and claimed Garlick at the beginning of spring training. Between those two dates, an entire offseason happened, reple

I would prefer the Twins to be the franchise that is losing guys in the rule 5 than the one that is adding with the rule 5 draft every year.

Hard not to be happy for Akil from my perspective. He would have been behind Rooker, he would have been behind Kirilloff, and if he wasn't already he likely would have found himself behind Larnach, Wallner and Sabato in short order.

Due to injury and Covid he hadn't played in nearly two years and never above A ball. The Twins are winning and have a talented roster. Detroit is rebuilding and doesn't. He would have been buried on the Twins roster. This is EXACTLY what the Rule V draft was created for. 

I didn't pay enough attention this offseason so I can't go back and second guess the FO but I've always been a huge Baddoo fan. I thought our 2016 draft (Kiriloff, Miranda, Baddoo, Rortvedt, Balazovic, Jax, Benninghoff + guys like Wells and Poppen) was going to rival 2012 and I'm happy for Baddoo. I'm sure he'll struggle since he's missed so much time and the pitching he's facing now is so much better but he has talent and seems like Detroit and Hinch are committed to keeping him. He has a good eye and that might make the transition easier for him.

Many players homer on their first at bat, this happened to be first pitch.  That does not mean he will be perennial all-star.  Link shows list of all who did it.  Some are big names, some I have never heard of.  This is 1 at bat.  He failed to get hit next two times.  In 1 game he is hitting .333 and if he goes 0-7 over next two games he will be hitting .100.  I wish him no ill will and maybe letting him go in a rule 5 draft will come back to bite Twins.  However I find that unlikely.  

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats5.shtml

I think every MLB team loses someone that goes on and becomes a serviceable, good, even great player. Johan Santana comes to mind.

Shane Mack comes to mind for me. But I do agree that, as infrequent as it is, losing someone like Baddoo is bound to happen to teams with a ton of depth in the system. Frankly, I'd be happy to see Baddoo have a Shane Mack-like career. It's not probable though.

BTW, the Tigers are probably going to be respectable this year. I think the entire ALC may be under-estimated.

Ya'll are weird - Badoo was blocked in the system and left unprotected for a reason. Garlick has nothing to do with Baddoo and--given his history in the minors--Baddoo likely won't look all that great the rest of the year. 

For his sake I hope he ends up being a useful player, but odds are against it.

But the small sample size drama is always entertaining :)

I didn't pay enough attention this offseason so I can't go back and second guess the FO but I've always been a huge Baddoo fan. I thought our 2016 draft (Kiriloff, Miranda, Baddoo, Rortvedt, Balazovic, Jax, Benninghoff + guys like Wells and Poppen) was going to rival 2012 and I'm happy for Baddoo. I'm sure he'll struggle since he's missed so much time and the pitching he's facing now is so much better but he has talent and seems like Detroit and Hinch are committed to keeping him. He has a good eye and that might make the transition easier for him.

I think they could have kept him if they wanted to.  They had 6 spots open at one point and they ended up trading Wade and still carrying 7 outfielders on the 40 man.  I think that like others have said he had never played above A ball and they figured no one would pick him because teams rarely carry position player rule V picks for an entire season as the bench is light and you need productive players there.  It was a calculated risk but it looks like it didn't work out.

As Nicks A Viking said this is what the Rule V is for as Baddoo didn't have an easy path to the Twins 26 man and borderline for the 40 man.  The Twins like Celestino's defense in center better and he profiles to stay a centerfielder and Baddoo does not.  Baddoo doesn't have a great arm so likely limited to left field and as we all know the Twins have a plethora of options there.  So as Birdwatcher said the Twins have really good depth on the farm right now and so some of that talent was bound to shake loose.

I know there are doubters about Baddoo's ability but he had a really good spring.  He can hit pull side with power and hit Oppo as well.  Being well rounded he shouldn't face much shifting. He has a good eye at the plate. He is fast enough to play center field right now and steel bases.  He has a lot of solid tools to be successful at the MLB level.  Personally I wouldn't bet against him.

Ya'll are weird - Badoo was blocked in the system and left unprotected for a reason. Garlick has nothing to do with Baddoo and--given his history in the minors--Baddoo likely won't look all that great the rest of the year. 

For his sake I hope he ends up being a useful player, but odds are against it.

But the small sample size drama is always entertaining :)

Barrio was drafted in December 2020 and Garlick was signed in February 2021. No correlation there.

You are wrong. They were absolutely correlated.  The twins had a few spots open and decided to leave them open for "flexibility" to take guys like Garlick.  The right comparison will always be do we keep our prospects or do we want guys like Garlick?

Hard not to be happy for Akil from my perspective. He would have been behind Rooker, he would have been behind Kirilloff, and if he wasn't already he likely would have found himself behind Larnach, Wallner and Sabato in short order.

Due to injury and Covid he hadn't played in nearly two years and never above A ball. The Twins are winning and have a talented roster. Detroit is rebuilding and doesn't. He would have been buried on the Twins roster. This is EXACTLY what the Rule V draft was created for. 

I'm happy for Akil.  I had posted similar before.  The kid needed a chance and was behind many on the depth chart.  

If you look at the list of MLBers who have homered in their first at bat...it's a pretty forgettable list.  Great for Akil, hope he does well, but I doubt he has a career as good as Kirilloff/Larnach/Celestino.  

You are wrong. They were absolutely correlated.  The twins had a few spots open and decided to leave them open for "flexibility" to take guys like Garlick.  The right comparison will always be do we keep our prospects or do we want guys like Garlick?

Sorry, but you are wrong. The Twins 40-man was full and they had to DFA Brandon Waddell when they added Garlick. Waddell was claimed off of waivers October 30th but the Twins didn't have to make their 40 man call pertaining to the Rule V Draft until November 20th.

Garlick, nor Waddell nor any of the other waiver claims had anything to do with the Baddoo decision.

Sorry, but you are wrong. The Twins 40-man was full and they had to DFA Brandon Waddell when they added Garlick. Waddell was claimed off of waivers October 30th but the Twins didn't have to make their 40 man call pertaining to the Rule V Draft until November 20th.

Garlick, nor Waddell nor any of the other waiver claims had anything to do with the Baddoo decision.

He is just saying and I agree with him that the Twins had room to carry to Baddoo during rule V.  If the reason for not adding him was they would need to carry 7 outfielders on the 40 man it doesn't make sense because they added Garlick on a waiver claim and now have 7 outfielder's on the 40 man.  If they had kept Baddoo then they likely wouldn't have had room to claim Garlick but they would still have 7 outfielder's on the 40 man and Baddoo.  That is the difference.  Would you have rather had Baddoo protected or Garlick on a waiver claim?  The Twins ended up with Garlick. The Tigers with Baddoo because he was not protected.

I think everyone makes a good point. He was very much blocked from the majors on the Twins AND the Twins could have found a way to keep him on the 40 man if they really wanted to.

I think if you had a nice private conversation over a glass of good scotch with the FO, they would tell you that they thought there was a very small chance he would get selected due to his experience level... AND that they were surprised and disappointed that he was taken!

It happens....

A lot of missing the point here, though. The Twins...as a major contender in 2021...were NOT going to put themselves in a position to rely on someone with Baddoo’s experience (lack thereof) in a pennant race or the postseason. Same with Celestino.

They went and got some corner backup with more of a track record...and, in the end, were left with a choice of protecting only one of their higher-upside guys, Celestino or Baddoo. The price of being a club expected to compete for a championship. They chose Celestino. A classic example of keeping the toolsier player in lieu of the one who seemed a bit ahead on the hit tool.

It was Celestino or Baddoo...they weren’t going to roster both in 2021. Completely defendable decision, IMO. Now, might it turn out that they chose the wrong guy? Of course it could.