• Create Account

Akil Baddoo crushes Homerun in first major league at bat

I'm sorry, but you are wrong.  When the Twins protected players from the Rule V draft, they finished with 37 players protected from the draft.  They easily could have added a few more but chose not to

I think that you're somewhat right on Baddoo vs Garlick -- but it doesn't stop there. It's also Baddoo vs every non-40-man prospect that's ahead of him in the Twins system.

At the time of the Rule 5 draft, the Twins were probably expecting Royce Lewis to make a debut in 2021, as well as Larnach, maybe Winder, Sands, and other guys we don't even know about. The Twins don't have to leave 40-man spots open for all of these guys, of course, but they do need to keep some flexibility. Every guy like Baddoo that you add makes the roster less flexible at a high cost -- you basically have to plant him on the 40-man for at least the next year or lose him on waivers. Garlick is no star, but he doesn't have to offer much to offset the cost of rostering Baddoo in that scenario.

So leaving off a guy like Baddoo, and challenging other teams to keep him on their 26-man roster for the whole season in Rule 5, is a perfectly understandable choice. Rule 5 is a much more difficult for teams than simply claiming a guy on waivers.

Of course, if you absolutely love Baddoo, you can find a way to protect him too. But if he's just another guy with potential, with virtually no shot to play in 2021 and well behind others on the org depth chart, you sometimes have to take a chance with exposing them in Rule 5.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard not to be happy for Akil from my perspective. He would have been behind Rooker, he would have been behind Kirilloff, and if he wasn't already he likely would have found himself behind Larnach, Wa

The Twins did no such thing. They exposed Baddoo at the beginning of the offseason and claimed Garlick at the beginning of spring training. Between those two dates, an entire offseason happened, reple

I would prefer the Twins to be the franchise that is losing guys in the rule 5 than the one that is adding with the rule 5 draft every year.

I think everyone makes a good point. He was very much blocked from the majors on the Twins AND the Twins could have found a way to keep him on the 40 man if they really wanted to.

I think if you had a nice private conversation over a glass of good scotch with the FO, they would tell you that they thought there was a very small chance he would get selected due to his experience level... AND that they were surprised and disappointed that he was taken!

It happens....

I don't like scotch. How about bourbon?

If a front office leaves decent but risky prospects unprotected in Rule V, it means almost by default they're doing a hell of a lot right because if they're risking players like Baddoo in the draft, it means they have 35+ better, or at least higher floor, players in front of him on the 40-man roster.

And that means they're probably a very good team.

It could also mean that the FO is not very good at grading their own talent. This isn't the first minor leaguer that they let go who became a solid MLer on another team. 

My guess is the Twins thought no one would take Baddoo since he missed so much time and, even if they did, he would have a lot of rust and not look great so they'd get him back. That seems like a reasonable guess but it's not right to say the Twins had 35+ better than him since, IIRC, we had some open spots and a handful of fungible relief pitchers. Again, I didn't pay enough attention at the time to say what the Twins did wrong but the PR the FO gets here is becoming a bit much.

It could also mean that the FO is not very good at grading their own talent. This isn't the first minor leaguer that they let go who became a solid MLer on another team. 

My guess is the Twins thought no one would take Baddoo since he missed so much time and, even if they did, he would have a lot of rust and not look great so they'd get him back. That seems like a reasonable guess but it's not right to say the Twins had 35+ better than him since, IIRC, we had some open spots and a handful of fungible relief pitchers. Again, I didn't pay enough attention at the time to say what the Twins did wrong but the PR the FO gets here is becoming a bit much.

PR? Oh, come on.

There's a difference between "PR" and refusing to knee-jerk over a handful of games.

It's entirely possible the front office made a mistake with Baddoo. Historical context says it's more likely they didn't.

Have you looked at this 40-man roster? There's not a lot of room to take on marginal prospects who looked (extremely) unlikely to contribute to the 2021 team.

And if you're suggesting they should have replaced a fungible reliever with an (eighth?) outfielder on the 40-man, it's you who doesn't really understand how 40-man roster management works, not the front office. Offloading pitchers and replacing them with position players is a good way to start putting potentially valuable players on the waiver wire in May because, like every season, pitching depth inevitably becomes an issue and you need viable arms on the roster to throw innings in Minneapolis.

Solid MLBer? He's had 8 PAs above A ball. 

He very well may end up as such (or anything else for that matter), but one can hardly label him at this point. 

Solid MLBer? He's had 8 PAs above A ball. 

He very well may end up as such (or anything else for that matter), but one can hardly label him at this point.

They had room on the roster, I think he is saying, and a minor trade involving some fringe guys could have made more room.

I don’t have an opinion on Baddoo but I would have taken a chance on Tyler Wells over a handful of other pitchers currently on the 40-man. Chalmers and Ober were obvious keepers and have a promising future.

I looked at the situation at your point of view. And I believe that I was harsh in saying that it was mismanagement or error in dealing with Baddo the way they did because that's the way the vast majority of teams deal with this problem.

But to really compete we need to think outside the box. I've debated in a prior threads. We need to be proactive in trading from our strength to strengthen our weaknesses and constantly upgrading. Upgrading allows more room on the 40 man. Which allows us to develop as many prospects as we can eventually to play on the MLB team or trade them

To clarify my point, I'd like to use SD as an example. They are a team with a ton of prospects and big 40 man problem. Also they want to compete against LAD so they need to upgrade their pitching. They didn't go after FA because that wouldn't help their 40 man problem. They attacked the trade market. Using 4 prospects they landed Snell, using 7 players they landed Darvish (plus his private catcher for free) and 5 players to land Musgrove. That's 16 low valued players, (quite a few lotto tickets with non in their top 5 prospects) for 3 top of the rotation pitchers. Some may argue that Musgrove isn't that good looking at his stats but looking at under lying conditions and being SD most dominating pitcher out of the gate, I believe he is. Instead of going for the bragging rights to the rule 5 loser's award they made themselves highly competitive and helped their 40 man problem, now in the near future.

I'm not insinuating the FO is terrible and need to be fired. Their development is one reason why we have this talent. I'm just showing an area where we need improvement. Where we can protect prospects like Baddo and Wells until we are ready to play them or trade them. Another interesting point about Baddo is that he bats left where our others CFers batright.

To clarify my point, I'd like to use SD as an example. They are a team with a ton of prospects and big 40 man problem. Also they want to compete against LAD so they need to upgrade their pitching. They didn't go after FA because that wouldn't help their 40 man problem. They attacked the trade market. Using 4 prospects they landed Snell, using 7 players they landed Darvish (plus his private catcher for free) and 5 players to land Musgrove. That's 16 low valued players, (quite a few lotto tickets with non in their top 5 prospects) for 3 top of the rotation pitchers. Some may argue that Musgrove isn't that good looking at his stats but looking at under lying conditions and being SD most dominating pitcher out of the gate, I believe he is. Instead of going for the bragging rights to the rule 5 loser's award they made themselves highly competitive and helped their 40 man problem, now in the near future.

I'm not insinuating the FO is terrible and need to be fired. Their development is one reason why we have this talent. I'm just showing an area where we need improvement. Where we can protect prospects like Baddo and Wells until we are ready to play them or trade them. Another interesting point about Baddo is that he bats left where our others CFers batright.

These are all very fair points and I would definitely like to see more trade action from this FO.

Except it doesn’t really apply in the singular case of Baddoo (but perhaps made sense with others in the past).

There simply isn’t a market out there for decent prospects who haven’t played above A ball, haven’t really played in two years, and need to be added to the 40-man roster.

That’s a hard sell and a situation that probably doesn’t arise often if we don’t spend a year in a global panoramica.

These are all very fair points and I would definitely like to see more trade action from this FO.

Except it doesn’t really apply in the singular case of Baddoo (but perhaps made sense with others in the past).

There simply isn’t a market out there for decent prospects who haven’t played above A ball, haven’t really played in two years, and need to be added to the 40-man roster.

That’s a hard sell and a situation that probably doesn’t arise often if we don’t spend a year in a global panoramica.

Totally agree with you, we can't luck out like SD and be able to trade so many unproven prospects. I only mentioned them to prove it can be done. If you read more carefully, I stated that I'd like to protect and develop prospects like Baddo and Wells, not necessarily trade them (only if they are strongly requested by the trading partner) I'd prefer to trade players which we've developed and find that they'd be better off playing on a different team. Seek out teams which could use such players and have players which fits our needs.

I think we all would like to see some trades, but I agree, I don't think these trades are available to be had. We see fringe prospects MUCH closer to MLB ready like Lewin Diaz and Jalyin Davis only get average at best relief pitchers with only two months of control left. 

You're also talking about an organization in San Diego with a potentially historically deep farm system. You say that they traded away "low-valued" players. Multiple players traded away were top 100-150 prospects in various lists this offseason by Fangraphs, PIpeline, Baseball America, etc.

The Twins right now are not a great comparison because their top 100 guys are all fairly close to the major leagues, but if the team chose to move Balazovic, Jeffers, and Lewis (pre-injury) to acquire pieces, I'm pretty sure the fanbase on here would not be so forgiving, yet a few of those guys ranked similarly across lists.

I will be the first to tell you that I was a huge fan of both Akil Baddoo and Tyler Wells. When I covered the Twins for Pucketts Pond, both ranked very highly in my org top 100 list, but I left Pucketts Pond after the 2018 season, and I've missed a combined 29 appearances in-game between the two of them, all by Baddoo in 2019. I've watched any video I could of either since, but there hasn't been anything to show that either made the type of strides that would have you anointing one of them as the next coming.

It's akin to the David Ortiz thing all over again. He went to Boston, where a hitting coach significantly changed his swing. He wasn't even signed to be their starting DH in Boston that season. No one thought Ortiz would become what he did. Player growth is never linear, and a team cannot protect everyone. For all you and I know, the FO had a deal lined up that was "crossing t's" away from being done that fell apart just ahead of the Rule 5 that would have filled up the 40-man. We won't know, and standing here and shouting about it after literally a week of play does no one good. Enjoy the success of both young men and cheer them on.

It hurt for years to watch Jermaine Dye on another team, knowing he could have been next to Andruw Jones in the outfield for the Braves, but that's part of baseball. I ended up working with a guy who hated the same trade initially because he was a fan of Michael Tucker and hated seeing him go. He learned to enjoy watching Dye with the Royals instead.

I think we all would like to see some trades, but I agree, I don't think these trades are available to be had. We see fringe prospects MUCH closer to MLB ready like Lewin Diaz and Jalyin Davis only get average at best relief pitchers with only two months of control left. 

Just wait until you see the value Trevor Story brings in July. Rockies fans are going to cry and wish for an Arenado return.

Just wait until you see the value Trevor Story brings in July. Rockies fans are going to cry and wish for an Arenado return.

It's a shame how poorly run that organization is. Unlike terribly run teams like Pittsburgh or Miami, it appears to be all incompetence and not greed. They've had so many controllable players that were peaking over the past three years they could have traded and reloaded and have been ready to compete already. That franchise looks doomed for a long dry spell.

It's a shame how poorly run that organization is. Unlike terribly run teams like Pittsburgh or Miami, it appears to be all incompetence and not greed. They've had so many controllable players that were peaking over the past three years they could have traded and reloaded and have been ready to compete already. That franchise looks doomed for a long dry spell.

Sadly, the return for Story would be bad even for a well-run org just because he's an impending FA going into a CBA year, so teams will see him as just a two- or three-month rental.

You're also talking about an organization in San Diego with a potentially historically deep farm system. You say that they traded away "low-valued" players. Multiple players traded away were top 100-150 prospects in various lists this offseason by Fangraphs, PIpeline, Baseball America, etc.

The Twins right now are not a great comparison because their top 100 guys are all fairly close to the major leagues, but if the team chose to move Balazovic, Jeffers, and Lewis (pre-injury) to acquire pieces, I'm pretty sure the fanbase on here would not be so forgiving, yet a few of those guys ranked similarly across lists.

I agree that SD has a vastly better farm system than us and their approach is different than ours, I envy them. Although there were some that could have ranged from med.- med./high range (especially in the Snell trade, a trade I wouldn't have done) but non in the Kiriloff/ Lewis (pre-injury) bracket, maybe Larnach to Balavich/ Jeffers/ Duran level. Darvish and Musgrove trade I'd rate those players mainly low level & lotto tickets and very doable trades. Trades we could've done better w/ players that are expendable. I wouldn`t trade Lewis because he's in a position which we desperately lack,Balavich/ Jeffers/ Duran would have to be a very good deal.

My point isn't to rate these trades but to point out the need to be proactive like San Diego to compete and help solve the 40 man problem.

I agree that SD has a vastly better farm system than us and their approach is different than ours, I envy them. Although there were some that could have ranged from med.- med./high range (especially in the Snell trade, a trade I wouldn't have done) but non in the Kiriloff/ Lewis (pre-injury) bracket, maybe Larnach to Balavich/ Jeffers/ Duran level. Darvish and Musgrove trade I'd rate those players mainly low level & lotto tickets and very doable trades. Trades we could've done better w/ players that are expendable. I wouldn`t trade Lewis because he's in a position which we desperately lack,Balavich/ Jeffers/ Duran would have to be a very good deal.
My point isn't to rate these trades but to point out the need to be proactive like San Diego to compete and help solve the 40 man problem.

Patino was a top 20 prospect pre-2020. He was barely beyond rookie qualifications or he would be a top 20-30 prospect still. He'd be in the same ranking level as a Lewis/Kirilloff.

• 3 weeks later...

Teams that expect to contend for the division and are trying to make a deep postseason run don’t fill their 40-man with players like Baddoo.

I wish him the best and hope he has a nice career but I’m not going to think too hard about the “loss”, nor am I going to make any declarations over a single home run. Nor should anyone else, frankly. It’s a nice couple of game stretch, good for him, let’s check back on this in a month.

Since Baddoo last hit a homer on 4/13, his slash is:

.100 / .151 / .240 / .391 OPS