Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Get to know each other

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Poll: Twins Daily on Social Media (68 member(s) have cast votes)

I follow Twins Daily on...

1. Twitter (6 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

2. Facebook (3 votes [4.41%])

Percentage of vote: 4.41%

3. Both (9 votes [13.24%])

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

4. Neither (50 votes [73.53%])

Percentage of vote: 73.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 SydneyTwinsFan

SydneyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

1.) Where are you from? Born and grew up in the UK. Lived in Sydney, Australia for the past 19 years. Have family in the Twin Cities

2.) Age Range? 47

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily?BYTO

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Never played, other than a few social/corporate softball games. Got taken to a game at the old Met in about 1980 when visiting family and loved it.

5.) Favorite Twins Player? Justin Morneau. It was also great having Jim Thome, even if only for a short while

Favorite under appreciated Twin? Brad Radke. As an adopted Australian, Glenn Williams and his .400 batting average!

Favorite current Twin? Jose Berrios

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? Joe Posnanski, Molineux Mix (fan site for my favorite UK soccer team), Scandinavian crime writers

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? Don't do Twitter

8.) Other interests outside of baseball? Soccer, reading, travel, good food, wine, beer, poker, golf, snorkeling, hanging out with my kids

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily? Game threads, tolerance (usually!) for a wide range of posters' views, cameraderie generated amongst regular posters, daily game and minor league reports

• Carole Keller, Seth Stohs, Blake and 3 others like this

#42 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

So far the consensus is no one has a favorite anything on Twitter.

It's the platform I spend the least amount of time on.

That is so weird to me, and I have noticed that in those that have entered so far as well. I can't even imagine life before Twitter... It's my news source for baseball and other stuff... Why wait an extra X minutes or even hours when the information is available there right away? I'll stop short of saying that it's the best thing that's every happened to me. That's my daughter... but it's probably second...(Hopefully my parents and siblings don't read this)

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Blake and 4 others like this

#43 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,086 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

1.) Where are you from - Grand Forks, ND -- 3rd Biggest City in North Dakota and there is no way Minot will catch us. 

2.) Age Range - You want a Range? OK... I'm Between 52 Years 290 Days and and 52 Years 300 Days. 

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily - I followed Seth Stohs over here. It's his fault. 

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played - Junior College Baseball 

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player - Rod Carew was my first hero and remains my favorite of all time. Favorite Under Appreciated player was Ben Revere. Current Favorite is Eduardo Escobar because I am the President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility Club". 

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site - I spend an odd amount of time cruising around Roster Resource. By Odd I mean that I only spend time segments that end in odd numbers.  

7.) Favorite Twitter follows - My son is pretty funny on Twitter but then I started following a bunch of baseball writers and they started drowning out his posts. 

8.) Other interests outside of baseball - Campaign Finance Reform! It is pretty much me being interested in it and watching it go absolutely nowhere for decades and decades. 

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily - The depth of knowledge. Normal folks just can't speak Twins at the level spoken here. Without Twins Daily... who can you debate Kennys Vargas with? 

10.) Tell us what we can do better - More Human Interest stories on the players. What they went through to get where they are. Anything that can transform them from a collection of statistics to flesh and blood. Also... If you can talk, trick, blackmail Batgirl out of retirement to make an occasional appearance. She was the best ever, absolutely brilliant and I assume that she still is. It doesn't have to be about Baseball... anything she chooses. 

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events" - I have... I didn't recognize anyone. Everybody looks different on the internet. 

• Carole Keller, Seth Stohs, Blake and 5 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#44 bldewald

bldewald

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

1.) Where are you from? Tripp, SD but currently live in the Chicago suburbs

2.) Age Range? 52

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? I used to read SethSpeaks all the time and came over when it did.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? None really, but coached my kids

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Favorite - Harmon Killebrew.Underappreciated - Gary Gaetti. Current - Eddie Rosario

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? MLB Trade Rumors

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? Non Twitter user

8.) Other interests outside of baseball.Fishing, Music, Soccer

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... forums, blogs, articles, topics... wahtever you like.The articles are the best part.There is a huge amount of good writing and good knowledge out there. 

10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season?An out of season "Best Twins of all time" feature would be cool.Could start some great arguments!

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?"Unfortunately no. 

• nicksaviking likes this

#45 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" Not unless driving through Warroad is considered an event :)

I think an "event" should probably take longer than 5 minutes. 

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Blake and 2 others like this

#46 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

1.) Where are you from? Minnesota - St. Louis Park to Princeton to Grand Rapids to Bemidji to Remer/Longville to Thief River Falls
2.) Age Range? I'm as old as the 2nd AL Rookie of the Year Award won by a Twin

Making us THINK...I like it! Well, if we count the Bob Allison 1959 ROY as the first, you were born in 1964 (Oliva). But, the Twins weren’t the Twins in ‘59...so you were born in 1967 (Carew). A very young grandfather. Good for you!

#47 tvagle

tvagle

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:06 PM

Making us THINK...I like it! Well, if we count the Bob Allison 1959 ROY as the first, you were born in 1964 (Oliva). But, the Twins weren’t the Twins in ‘59...so you were born in 1967 (Carew). A very young grandfather. Good for you!

Faith in Humanity restored once again...people can think/infer/deduct from clues...thanks jk

Carew was also a fave especially when the back of his baseball card had him living in the same city I did!

• Carole Keller and jkcarew like this

"We were open for business on several players, but just couldn't put a deal together that we liked...our biggest pickups will really be the return of All-Stars Sano and Santana as well as the Platinum Defensive player of the year in Buxton...adding those three to our lineup in the second half without mortgaging any future assets is really the best of both worlds"

#48 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

I'll take a stab at this, using my usual internet vagueness about my personal life.

I did this once about 2-3 years ago, but it was during the offseason and well, it's been a long time ago... Let's get to know each other a little bit... Who are the Twins Daily readers and contributors. Obviously don't tell any more than you want to... here are some questions to consider answering, with my answers:

1.) Where are you from? Grew up in SW MN, college in SE MN. Live in Mpls now.

2.) Age Range? 39

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? I think the Star Tribune blogosphere thing.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? neighborhood pick-up games

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? All-time? Maybe Morneau. Underappreciated: Escobar 2017. Current: Escobar 2018.

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? For baseball? Too many sites lack originality and just rehash national stories. Maybe MLB Trade Rumors when they aren't doing polls.

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? I use Twitter, but not for sports.  

8.) Other interests outside of baseball. Music, beer, travel

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... forums, blogs, articles, topics... wahtever you like. Articles, daily wrap-ups

10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season? Eliminating redundant articles (3 separate "get rid of slumping player X" articles)

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" no

• Carole Keller and nicksaviking like this

#49 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:08 PM

That is so weird to me, and I have noticed that in those that have entered so far as well. I can't even imagine life before Twitter... It's my news source for baseball and other stuff... Why wait an extra X minutes or even hours when the information is available there right away? I'll stop short of saying that it's the best thing that's every happened to me. That's my daughter... but it's probably second... (Hopefully my parents and siblings don't read this)

I would guess that those who are avid/addicted Twitterheads would answer the above poll very differently. Most of us onsite here are onsite here because we aren’t Twitterers. (Trying to find the appropriate noun ... Tweeters?) I was on Twitter very early on, before it was quite ‘the thing’ at the urging of a friend of mine who told me to follow everyone. It drove me nuts the amount of useless stuff that enters your head in a very short period of time doing that. My follows now are strictly baseball related and a few work-related follows. But I still can’t keep up and I just find it too disorganized for how I like to learn/read/discover information. Also there’s just too much stuff tweeted by my follows that are not on subject and I’m back to receiving too much useless tidbits of information I don’t need and don’t want in my head. So I follow in spurts, usually when there is breaking news on the horizon.

I guess it’s good you promote yourselves on various platforms to reach the broadest audience.
  • pbrezeasap, nicksaviking, TheLeviathan and 2 others like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#50 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:37 PM

I would guess that those who are avid/addicted Twitterheads would answer the above poll very differently. Most of us onsite here are onsite here because we aren’t Twitterers. (Trying to find th appropriate noun ... Tweeters?) I was on Twitter very early on, before it was quite ‘the thing’ and a friend of mine told me to follow everyone. It drove me nuts in the amount of useless stuff that enters your head in a very short time doing that. My follows now are strictly baseball related and a small bit of work-related follows. But I still can’t keep up and I just find it too disorganized for how I like to learn/read/discover information. So I follow in spurts, usually when there is breaking news on the horizon.
I guess it’s good you promote yourselves on various platforms to reach the broadest audience.

This. My work tried to ram Twitter down our throats a few years back. My experience was similar...some interesting possibilities...but, in the end, too much like having a spoon full of food (of which you can never be 100% sure of the origins) waved in front of your face constantly. Foods good, but I’ll eat when I’m hungry thanks, and when I can asses how the foods been prepared. My college+ kids don’t use it anymore either.

#51 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

1.) Where are you from? Born in St Paul, moved to CT before I turned 1, joined the Air Force at 21, last assignment was in OK and we stayed.

2.) Age Range? 53
3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? SethSpeaks.net, although I did read the Twins Geek blog regularly too. (Still love the family names - Voice of Reason and Chatty Chatty Princess, although the latter would probably kill dad if he dug that one out again.
4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Baseball through 18 in regional Babe Ruth league, then softball in the military through age 44. Now I umpire, mainly HS (baseball and softball.)
5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Carew, I'm a bad judge of underappreciated - Lawton? Does another vote for Radke make him no longer underappreciated?Berrios (until Buxton gets back up)
6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? 
7.) Favorite Twitter follows? I think I have followed 5 and I ignore them all. (Congrats Seth - you're in my top 5)
8.) Other interests outside of baseball. Bible, hiking, history, starting to appreciate art and dance thanks to daughters who have shown interest and talent 
9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... forums, blogs, articles, topics... wahtever you like.The discussion that ranges from incredibly insightful to extremely crazy.I also like chicken.
10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season? More blog post and article links in the right margin (maybe smaller font/less preview)
11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" No

• Carole Keller, Seth Stohs, Blake and 1 other like this

#52 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:58 PM

1. From near Iowa City though I’ve lived in northern Indiana my entire adult life.
2. 52.
3. Don’t remember what brought me here, but I’m glad for whatever did.
4. You decide what’s the highest level — member of regular-season undefeated Little League team, D league Slow Pitch, or unaffiliated Vintage Base Ball (1856 rules) at local county park.
5. Tony Oliva. In the national eye, I consider Joe Nathan underrated, but I could also go with Butch Wynegar, Jerry Terrell, Juan Berenguer, and probably some others. That night’s winning pitcher.
6. Probably baseball-reference.com or rotoworld.com. CBSSportsline if my fantasy team has a night like tonight when I got 5 HRs and 14 RBIs.
7. My son’s tweets are great.
8. Financial stewardship and other issues of faith. My wife and kids. Traveling. Ice cream, barbecue, pizza, chili, and the pursuit of Iowa’s Best Tenderloin.
9. Game threads and game recaps. I’m starting to enjoy the minor league stuff. But the thing I most enjoy is the civility and spirit of communithy that is present.
10. Nothing immediately comes to mind.
11. One.
  • Carole Keller, Blake, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#53 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:46 AM

Okay, here goes...

1.) Where are you from? Minneapolis native.
2.) Age Range? 61.
3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? Star Tribune.
4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? High school.
5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Tony Oliva, Joe Mauer, and Jose Berrios, respectively.
6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? A great many; few of them sports-related.
7.) Favorite Twitter follows? Artists, scientists, and scholars I find interesting.
8.) Other interests outside of baseball. Superhero movies, history and philosophy.
9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... The strength of the community, even when things are bad.
10.) Tell us what we can do better. Offer a subscription based, ad-free option.
11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" Yes, and hope to again.
  • Carole Keller, Seth Stohs, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#54 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,170 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:40 AM

That is so weird to me, and I have noticed that in those that have entered so far as well. I can't even imagine life before Twitter... It's my news source for baseball and other stuff... Why wait an extra X minutes or even hours when the information is available there right away? I'll stop short of saying that it's the best thing that's every happened to me. That's my daughter... but it's probably second...(Hopefully my parents and siblings don't read this)

In my case, I've got enough distractions as it is (this site included).I'm not on Facebook or any other social media platform aside from LinkedIn and I was reluctant to get on that.I keep up with friends and family the old fashioned way.I talk to them!Catching up on the news is something I do when I get home from work.I'd never get anything done at work otherwise.I survive just fine!:)

I can see where someone like yourself would find it extremely useful though.I definitely see the potential positives in certain cases, I just don't fall into any of them.

• Blake likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#55 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:32 AM

1.) Where are you from? From the cities, went to college in the cities, moving to Eagan in 2 weeks. Haven't ventured far. 

2.) Age Range? 34

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? I like the Twins and baseball in general

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? varsity baseball, slow pitch softball until a few years ago when i retired in favor of a golf league

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Favorites of all time; Kirby, Chuck Knoblauch, Justin Morneau

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? Barstool Sports, Gopherhole, Fantasy football / baseball websites

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? I'm on twitter all the time, mostly to follow national sports reporters and local beat writers

8.) Other interests outside of baseball?Golf, Family, married with 1 young kid and 1 on the way

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... forums, blogs, articles, topics... wahtever you like. Talking baseball

10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season?

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?"No

• Seth Stohs, nicksaviking and Sconnie like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#56 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,153 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

I think an "event" should probably take longer than 5 minutes. 

An opinion also held by Mrs Chief.

• Seth Stohs, Yoke, Blake and 18 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#57 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,481 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:00 AM

By Odd I mean that I only spend time segments that end in odd numbers. 

That's pretty much the definition of every odd number, Brian. I'm married to a math major, and I checked.

• USAFChief, Blake and Riverbrian like this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#58 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,481 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:09 AM

or unaffiliated Vintage Base Ball (1856 rules) at local county park.

Oh yeah! I totally forgot to mention that phase of my life. Switching from slow-pitch to 90-foot basepaths just about killed me, first time I had to leg it on a slow roller in the infield - expected to be safe and was out by 15 feet. Anyone here ever watched the Quicksteps play in the Twin Cities area? They're still around, 20 years later.

• IndianaTwin likes this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#59 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,153 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

1.) Where are you from?  Born and raised in Cosmos. ... Which is 17 miles west of Hutchinson, on Hiway 7. ...... Born and raised in west central MN. Left for the Air Force after some time at Willmar State Junior College, lived in CA, TX, WY, AZ, Okinawa, Korea, mainland Japan, and now back in AZ. Hope to move back to MN, at least part time, soon.

2.) Age Range? Upper

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily?  I migrated from DTFC (the Dickie Thon Fan Club) to Battle Your Tail Off (BYTO), then followed many folks here. I remember arguing with Nick Nelson back before he made the big time.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Junior College baseball. Air Force level fastpitch futility infielder, back in the days when there was both fastpitch softball played and the Air Force had a service level team. In both cases, I could pick it, but I was doomed by poor equipment... I seemingly always got a defective bat.  

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? 

Favorite ever: Kirby, natch. Also Harmon, Gary Gaetti, Hrbek, Cesar Tovar. 

Underappreciated: Shane Mack, Bob Allison, Jim Perry. Even though he's been elected to the HOF, I think people underrate Bert Blyleven.

Current: Buxton. Watched him go from first to third in an AFL game and my jaw dropped.

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? Gopherhole, Startrib. BaseballReference is also a pretty awesome thing.

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? N/A. I don't Twit.

8.) Other interests outside of baseball. I love poker. Bowling. Grandkids. Overeating. Napping.

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... forums, blogs, articles, topics...  Game threads.

10.) Tell us what we can do better.Concur with above...hire better moderators. Perhaps you should consider upping the pay? 

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" I haven't made it to any. Yet. But I will.

• Seth Stohs, Blake, Mike Sixel and 5 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#60 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:31 AM

1.) Where are you from? Born in Minneapolis, lived in Murdock, MN for 11 years, then moved back to Minneapolis. Currently reside in Chisago City.

2.) Age Range? 38

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? Gleeman and the Geek … but mostly Parker on Twitter #PimpEverything

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Minnesota Twins RBI League.

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player?

• Favorite: Kirby
• Underappreciated: Shane Mack
• Current: Jose Berrios

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? hrltwincities.com and wifflinforwishes.com … oh … mprnews.org

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? @HRLBlueJays

8.) Other interests outside of baseball: My family, wiffleball, home brewing with greater aspirations. I also collect game-used, mostly current, Twins memorabilia. 

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... forums, blogs, articles, topics... whatever: All the different perspectives, opinions, and the vast baseball (in general) knowledge. 

10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season? It's all good.

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?": Not yet.

• Seth Stohs, Blake and nicksaviking like this