Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Twins Daily Contributor
Posted

Ryan Jeffers has spent his entire professional career in the Twins organization, dating back to Minnesota selecting him in the second round of the 2018 MLB Draft. After nearly a decade with the organization, though, the veteran catcher could be approaching the end of his time in Minnesota.

Jeffers is not closing the door on a return. In fact, he made it clear that he would welcome the opportunity to stay with the only organization he has known. At the same time, he wants to experience free agency and find out what opportunities exist beyond Minnesota.

“I’ve worked too hard to corner myself into one team or two teams,” Jeffers said Sunday, via The Athletic’s Dan Hayes. “I love the idea of a reunion. I also love the idea of going out there and seeing what else is out there.”

There should be plenty of interest. Jeffers enters the offseason as arguably the top catcher on the free-agent market and one of the better offensive players available at the position. Since his breakout 2023 season, he has posted a 119 wRC+ across 1,632 plate appearances. That ranks eighth among catchers during that stretch.

His 2026 season was particularly encouraging considering the circumstances. A hamate fracture suffered in May cost Jeffers roughly two months and limited him to 92 games. Despite the lost time, he hit .256/.353/.461 with 14 home runs in 368 plate appearances.

More importantly, several underlying numbers moved in the right direction. Jeffers posted career-best strikeout and walk rates, striking out in just 17.9% of his plate appearances while walking 12.5% of the time. His 128 wRC+ means he was 28% better than the league-average hitter, while the average MLB catcher finished at just 91.

The defensive questions remain. Jeffers has generally been a below-average defensive catcher, and 2026 followed that trend. He caught only 10.6% of potential base stealers and ranked in the 37th percentile as a pitch framer. He performed well with ABS challenges, finishing 12th among 107 catchers in Overturns Vs. Expected.

Now the Twins must decide whether Jeffers is worth a $23.1 million qualifying offer. The decision will come shortly after the World Series, and Hayes reports Jeffers is unlikely to accept it.

That could leave Minnesota with Victor Caratini as its most experienced catcher heading into 2027. Vahn Lackey, the third overall pick in the 2026 draft, represents the organization's long-term answer, but he is probably still a couple of years away. If Jeffers leaves, the Twins could look for a short-term veteran through free agency or trade. Several experienced catchers, including Tyler Stephenson, Austin Hedges, Jonah Heim, James McCann and former Twin Christian Vázquez, could be available.

For now, Jeffers is keeping both possibilities open. After spending his entire career in Minnesota, he has earned the opportunity to see what the rest of baseball thinks he is worth.

 


View full rumor

Posted

This is the biggest question of the offseason.  Are the Twins willing to offer the qualifying offer, or a significant extension?  Then if its offered does Jeffers turn it down.   It is clear they view Jackson as a 3rd catcher and not a true backup catcher on the big league team.   Jackson will be hitting free agency in the minor leagues - however all in all the Twins treated him pretty well so I would not be surprised at all if he were to sign a minor league deal with the Twins and maybe a slightly lower rate than last year.    So if no Jeffers who will be the other Catcher?  

Posted
25 minutes ago, Hawkeye Bean Counter said:

This is the biggest question of the offseason.  Are the Twins willing to offer the qualifying offer, or a significant extension?  Then if its offered does Jeffers turn it down.   It is clear they view Jackson as a 3rd catcher and not a true backup catcher on the big league team.   Jackson will be hitting free agency in the minor leagues - however all in all the Twins treated him pretty well so I would not be surprised at all if he were to sign a minor league deal with the Twins and maybe a slightly lower rate than last year.    So if no Jeffers who will be the other Catcher?  

Based on the quotes I saw from the end of the season press conference, Tom Pohlad has given Zoll the green light to extend a QO to Jeffers.  It's now up to Zoll to decide if the late season struggles muddy those waters a bit.  I still think it's prudent to extend a QO.   

Posted

Jeffer's value for the Twins was trading him @ last year's deadline rather than resigning him long term or a QO. He is over priced for a rebuilding small market team. Twins need to shop @ the value menu not @ Dayton's.

Posted
50 minutes ago, Chembry said:

Based on the quotes I saw from the end of the season press conference, Tom Pohlad has given Zoll the green light to extend a QO to Jeffers.  It's now up to Zoll to decide if the late season struggles muddy those waters a bit.  I still think it's prudent to extend a QO.   

I think it's prudent but I also don't believe he will accept it. 

I also think it's prudent to make a strong 3 or 4 year offer to him. I view him as a premium option at his position and those are exactly the types of players that a team that wants to be a contender should target. We have lots of cheap guys on our 2027 roster. We can afford to splurge for Jeffers.

But at the end of the day, the Twins don't really have the final say. Jeffers does. I hope he's back, but I feel like the realistic chances of that are about 20%

Old-Timey Member
Posted

The best case scenario for the Twins is if Jeffers turns down the QO and signs elsewhere for $50M or higher. They can spend the money more wisely elsewhere.

Posted

I currently would guess 90% chance we give him the QO and 80% chance he turns it down.  He was producing at a 5 WAR pace this year, 4 years of being above-average and will still be 29 on opening day.  Realmuto got 3/45 last offseason coming off a slightly worse 3 year span and being 4 years older at the time of FA.

Verified Member
Posted
2 hours ago, PuckettPond said:

Jeffer's value for the Twins was trading him @ last year's deadline rather than resigning him long term or a QO. He is over priced for a rebuilding small market team. Twins need to shop @ the value menu not @ Dayton's.

You hit the Target dead center.

Posted

Jeffers has certainly earned the right to explore his options. It will be the only time he can cash in... 

I will be interested to see the contract projections from Fangraphs and MLBTR. Right now I'm assuming 4 years is the minimum, and probably 5 years for the winning bid. If Tom P is hell bent on meaningfully investing in the team, will he go 5 years for Jeffers?

Posted
3 hours ago, Chembry said:

Based on the quotes I saw from the end of the season press conference, Tom Pohlad has given Zoll the green light to extend a QO to Jeffers.  It's now up to Zoll to decide if the late season struggles muddy those waters a bit.  I still think it's prudent to extend a QO.   

I read that too. I'd go a step further and suggest that means they've already decided to extend the QO. In the context of what they were trying to communicate in the press conference, I don't think they'd put themselves in the position of Tom saying, "Yeah, you can do it if you want to," and then having Zoll later say, "Nah, I don't want to." If the plan is not to make the offer, I think they would have said less on Monday. 

But hey, I'm not in the meetings and I'm not staying at a Holiday Inn until Saturday. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

Jeffers has certainly earned the right to explore his options. It will be the only time he can cash in... 

I will be interested to see the contract projections from Fangraphs and MLBTR. Right now I'm assuming 4 years is the minimum, and probably 5 years for the winning bid. If Tom P is hell bent on meaningfully investing in the team, will he go 5 years for Jeffers?

If so, and I'm OK with that, the plan has to be to move him to first base in 2 years or so....

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

If so, and I'm OK with that, the plan has to be to move him to first base in 2 years or so....

The nice thing about doing it with catcher is that it can be done in a gradual way. You can go from being the guy who gets 2/3 of the catcher starts one year and then be the 1/3 guy the next year while getting another 80-90 starts at 1B/DH, followed by being the full-time 1B. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...