Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Would you sign Andrelton Simmons to a one-year, $5m contract?

Brock Beauchamp

First, I *hate* the idea of bringing him back but after missing out on a bunch of shortstops (to be fair, at not-great prices compared to the starting pitchers they also missed out on), would you consider Simmons an acceptable fall-back candidate?

Frankly, out of the remaining options (excluding Story, which I'm now convinced the Twins have a zero percent chance to sign because they appear averse to any long-term free agent deal this offseason), he may be the best remaining option on a bang-for-buck basis.

I don't like Simmons and would prefer him not to return to the Twins but frankly, he's a pretty solid bounce back candidate given his ridiculous offensive underperformance in 2021.

7 minutes ago, beckmt said:

NO!!  I would rather fly with Gordon, and use Polanco as a stopgap until midseason and we find out if Lewis or Martin is ready and can be a shortstop.  Palcious might be the other option and he should be in the mix also.  Spend money on pitching.

The Twins should have so much money available that $5m to Simmons shouldn't change their pitching plans, though.

After Polanco's monstrous 2021 campaign at second, I think it's foolish to even consider him at short in 2022, especially considering how bad he is at playing the position now.

The Twins need a shortstop. I'm not sure Simmons is the guy but they need a shortstop and they don't have one. Neither Gordon nor Polanco are really legitimate options as MLB shortstops, or at least the Twins are convinced of that being the case.

On offensive stats he looks week but has outstanding defensive  stats. It goes back to the old argument which came first the chicken or the egg. Depends on what type of club house personality he has.. I can tolerate him a 1 yr. contract. I do not like idea of flirting with moving Polanco back to ss. Gordon may  have greater value as a utility player than at ss. 

If the Twins don’t like Simmons or the other cheap ss. Then go spend some money on Story which maybe a wise investment since there is concern that Lewis & Martin will not be able to handle ss on the long term. How about an outfield of Buxton, Martin & Lewis. An in field of Kiriloff, Polanco, Story & Miranda would be pretty darn good. If your afraid that Lewis &Martin aren’t able to perform, then trade them, now, for #1 pitcher.

I get that the options are slim and if he bounces back some with the bat he could be the best left out there but I have to say I hated his black hole, near automatic out of a bat last year.  He was a rally killer pitcher type bat.  I just don't know if I want to put myself through that again this year.  The defense he provided was good but he had his share of bonehead plays as well IMO.  He isn't pristine in the field but yeah one of the better defenders out there.  Given the current construction of this team though maybe it doesn't matter whether they sign him or not because it doesn't look like a playoff caliber team at this point anyway.

Personally I might hate myself later but given the basic three outcome game I think the Twins should look for more offense out of the position versus defense.  I think Simmons bat is bad enough that I would pass on him.  Just one guys opinion.

The stories heard from people closer than me, Simmons is a really good team mate. You can see him chatter and direct the infielders on the shifts, he appears to be a smart fielder and leader. Looking at FG, his GB/FB, BB%, K% in 2021 don't look terribly different from his averages. Hard hit rate plummeted. He does look like a good bounce back candidate.

If I didn't watch that trainwreck happening (and didn't have strong opinions about vaccination) I would be begging the FO to take a flier on him.

I just can't do it 

We signed Buxton, we have a lot of potential core and we have a packed 40 man roster so we have to go for it and not fool around. Therefore it's  definitely a bad idea to go in house until Lewis  is ready. I don't think it's a bad idea to pursue Story if he's available but if not I'd definitely pursue Simmons.

Simmons got late to spring training last season but he started the season pretty darn good in hitting. After his  pause it looked like some one got a hold of his swing and changed it, he was swinging out of his shoes! I don't doubt he'll find his swing and bounce back as long as no one messes with him.  Since we signed Simmons last season, I've stated that there isn't anyone better to mentor Lewis.

There's a big demand for Simmons and I don't doubt a team like the Yankees will gobble him up and we'll be standing around wondering what happened and be scrambling around trying to scrape up a below average SS.

10 minutes ago, Sconnie said:

The stories heard from people closer than me, Simmons is a really good team mate. You can see him chatter and direct the infielders on the shifts, he appears to be a smart fielder and leader. Looking at FG, his GB/FB, BB%, K% in 2021 don't look terribly different from his averages. Hard hit rate plummeted. He does look like a good bounce back candidate.

If I didn't watch that trainwreck happening (and didn't have strong opinions about vaccination) I would be begging the FO to take a flier on him.

I just can't do it 

Hahahah, exactly my thoughts. Literally everything I've read about Simmons is that he's a great clubhouse guy with extraordinary baseball IQ (which we saw on display regularly in 2021). Unfortunately, I'm less convinced of the rest of his IQ (for pretty obvious reasons) given how April 2021 played out.

I have been thinking this same thing after watching the absurd contracts the top tier SS have gotten.  Simmons gives the Twins great defense, which will be critical with their pitching staff.  He is a clear bounce back candidate offensively, and if he hits at his career average next year, the Twins will have a bargain while giving their young SS time to develop.  If Simmons repeats last year offensively, then we still have a great defensive SS and a below average #9 hitter. 

We could perhaps even throw in a 2nd year team option similar to Bundy's.  Polanco at SS should be avoided at all costs.  Don't mess with the comfort and groove he found last year. 

33 minutes ago, Sconnie said:

I just can't do it 

Yep. I have a hard time getting excited about signing a guy who's most likely praise will be, "well, at least he isn't as bad as last year." My sleeper pick here is Jermaine Palacios who is tearing it up in Venezuela right now with a .333/.422/.541 slash line playing 3B, LF, SS for Cardenales de Lara. Luciendo Bien!

Story

Villar

Iglesis

Palacios

Simmons

I have no confidence in him. And if the other players actually think he's a good teammate, I want him and his antivaccine stance far, far away from the rest of the young impressionable guys. I don't want to see the season getting derailed with guys out all year.

16 minutes ago, mnfireman said:

So when did they start letting posts go into politics (vaccinations). I've seen threads get shut down for less, but now its the admins and moderators going against community standards so it must be OK.

Like the guy or don't like guy, that's fine. Keep the politics out of it. 

This is all I'm going to say on the subject and we all need to move on afterward:

No one has mentioned politics here except you. Two people gave their opinion on bringing back a player who was quite outspoken about vaccinations (not politics), a guy who put the on-field product of the team in jeopardy early in the season and did some damage to the Twins' ability to compete at a crucial point in the season.

Maybe that doesn't matter to you and that's fine. That's your opinion. Others may feel differently based on the actions and opinions of the player in question, actions and opinions he has publicly stated on multiple occasions.

Jermaine Palacios is rated by Baseball America as being the best infield defender and best infield arm in the organization.  That may not make him a better choice than Simmons but I think he could be a real good option. He has some pop in his bat with 19 homers last season and as "AceWrigley" mentioned he is doing very well in winter ball.

13 minutes ago, gman said:

Jermaine Palacios is rated by Baseball America as being the best infield defender and best infield arm in the organization.  That may not make him a better choice than Simmons but I think he could be a real good option. He has some pop in his bat with 19 homers last season and as "AceWrigley" mentioned he is doing very well in winter ball.

As of now, it doesn't seem like we will be spending on Story.  If the Twins plan on bringing Simmons back, I would offer a Minor League deal (I think he had a -.5 WAR last year).  Bring in Palacios, Lewis, Martin, and Simmons to duke it out during spring training.  If no one steps up, Simmons is back for another year.  

1 hour ago, Monkeypaws said:

I'd do it - perfect stopgap until Lewis is there, ready or not.

Can't overstate the importance of a good fielding shortstop with what looks to be a young and largely unproven pitching staff.

With the Pitching staff we will be rolling out, you won't need to worry about S.S. defense.  The defense we are going to need will be pushing the fences back and raising them higher.  Maybe we can keep some of those HR's in the yard then.  

Mentioning the word "vaccinations" is NOT about politics. It is about health and safety - for yourself and those around you. 

That being said, let's move on. Would he contribute to the Twins pennant run? Is there a pennant run? I think we would be just as served with, say, Palacios as shortstop to see what we have before Martin & Lewis.

Right now, we lack a leftfielder, too. Although Larnach is a prospect. Wallner is a prospect to watch. We have Arraez without a position. And there is no gaurantee that Miranda will open the season with the Twins as he has options options options remaining.

Yes, I also don't want to see Polanco moved to short so we can play Arraez everyday. But what are the Twins to do with this luxury of riches everywhere but in positions that they really need players.

1 hour ago, Rosterman said:

Mentioning the word "vaccinations" is NOT about politics. It is about health and safety - for yourself and those around you. 

That being said, let's move on. Would he contribute to the Twins pennant run? Is there a pennant run? I think we would be just as served with, say, Palacios as shortstop to see what we have before Martin & Lewis.

Right now, we lack a leftfielder, too. Although Larnach is a prospect. Wallner is a prospect to watch. We have Arraez without a position. And there is no gaurantee that Miranda will open the season with the Twins as he has options options options remaining.

Yes, I also don't want to see Polanco moved to short so we can play Arraez everyday. But what are the Twins to do with this luxury of riches everywhere but in positions that they really need players.

I think a moderator bringing up their stance on vaccines, should open up the conservation the opposite way. (I am in no way making that case)

I made the argument on a different thread that starting a rookie SS on opening day is not a good idea, because what is the back up plan if said rookie is terrible? Somebody like Miranda (if we didn't have Donaldson) could be a plan A at 3B because of a year long success at AAA, as long as you have somebody in AAA if you be comfortable bringing up if he isn't good.

As for Larnach I also don't feel comfortable with his as Plan A or B. That doesn't mean I want them to sign free agent to a long deal, it just mean sign somebody for a year or two that you are OK with losing his job if Larnach forces his way back to the team.

For those of you suggesting Jermaine Palacios as the Twins starting SS, what is the back up plan if starts out not good or gets hurt?

IMO they have to sign a vet, and it should be the cheapest one (unless it is the best one available) , because if Palacios, Lewis or Martin start out on fire and should be brought up, I don't want them sitting in the minors because of vet SS.