• Create Account

Should the Twins Cut Happ?

Should the Twins Cut Happ?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Twins Cut Happ?

• Yes.
    • Of course.

Just now, gunnarthor said:

I'm not sure we have depth enough to cut him but, generally, yeah, he should be gone.

Meh. Call up one of the young guys from AAA. Get him some experience. If that doesn't work, call up a different one. They need to get at least 1, if not 2, ready for next year. It's time. 

Is there really ANY DOUBT among any fan after his complete meltdown today??  Just checked on score and see Happ got torched (AGAIN) to the tune of 9 ER in 3.0 IP allowing 10 hits and 4 walks.  This is not a knee jerk reaction as I've been calling for Happ's DFA for weeks.  He has NO FUTURE with this team.  None. Zip. Zero. No reason to keep pitching him IN ANY SITUATION when you have capable  SP's at Saint Paul (Barnes and Winder) that I'm guessing can replace Happ's horrible 6.77 ERA.    

Does Falvey even care at this point?  Nothing like being the #1 laughing stock in MLB.  

15 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Meh. Call up one of the young guys from AAA. Get him some experience. If that doesn't work, call up a different one. They need to get at least 1, if not 2, ready for next year. It's time. 

They can literally pull guys off the street that can give them 9 ER in 3 IP. It's been time to cut bait for a while now.

I was wondering, maybe wishful thinking that if the Twins did do a deal with Toronto they could try to sell Happ as a good lefty reliever.  He wouldn't add any value to a deal but it would be a way to get rid of some salary and maybe gain a deep lotto ticket.

If there are no takers at the deadline Yes I would get rid of him.  Depending on the deadline trades they might need the 40 man room anyway hard to say how things will work out.  I think Barnes, Jax, etc can cover for him and they have the two new guys that they could try out at that level in Strotman and Ryan.  I think they have plenty of options to cover his innings.

If they trade Berrios then they might need to keep him though because then they need to replace three starters in Berrios, Pineda and Happ.  That would come pretty close to maxing out the guys we have that are currently ready depending on how the other trades work out or how you feel about pitching Winder, Balazovich and Sands at the MLB level in case the replacement get hurt.

Of course, I'd rather watch Andrew Albers or Chandler Shepherd.  I think it will mean that.  I don't see Rocco or the FO increasing pitch counts for guys like Ober, Barnes or Jax.  In September, maybe Winder or Balazovic could come up, but they don't get to add as many guys anymore.

2 minutes ago, MMMordabito said:

Of course, I'd rather watch Andrew Albers or Chandler Shepherd.  I think it will mean that.  I don't see Rocco or the FO increasing pitch counts for guys like Ober, Barnes or Jax.  In September, maybe Winder or Balazovic could come up, but they don't get to add as many guys anymore.

They better add young guys in August, or they won't be able to start any of them in MN at the beginning of next year. 

Honestly, until today I thought his experience, solid career, LH and breathing, and some decent starts on the season would get an A ball flier or something. I think now it's just time to cut bait, open a 40 man spot, and begin the "getting your feet wet" process for one of the kids. 

The ONLY reason I keep him is IF Berrios and Pineda are both suddenly moved. Maybe then we need IP from him? But really, could anyone do worse?

With expanded rosters limited to 28 in September, the Twins have to make hard decisions going into that month if they want to actually add players to play for the future, or stick with guys that are drawing a paycheck that WILL NOT IN ANY WAY way will be back come 2022.

Right away they should immediately have five open roster spots. Goodbye to Colome, Pineda, Simmons, Happ, Robles. (Here's hoping the Twins at least trade Pineda and Thielbar).

I would have Law, Farrell, Minaya, Cave and Refsnyder on a very short leash. Once the minor league season ends you ask if you have seen enough of these guys to even consider them holding a roster spot.

Of course, the Twins have a slew of disabled guys: Colina, Stashak, Smeltzer, Dobnak, Garlick. I see little reason to return any more than three of these guys, maybe even only one and hope you can resign any others to a minor league contract if you still want them around. But that is another story.

The Twins need to make a decision on Jaxx. They need to see Balazovic and more of Barnes as well as is Burrows a keeper. 

But they need to look AND ADD to the roster any prospect that they fell can play in 2022 and contribute and let them take their licks in September to season's end. AT least five NEW names!

Barnes came up not long ago and pitched pretty decent. Decent enough to spell Happ from the rotation in my opinion. Running Happ out there the rest of the season as a 4th or 5th starter with an expiring contract hinders the organization from seeing what they have potentially for a bounce back season next year. 

2 minutes ago, atills25 said:

Barnes came up not long ago and pitched pretty decent. Decent enough to spell Happ from the rotation in my opinion. Running Happ out there the rest of the season as a 4th or 5th starter with an expiring contract hinders the organization from seeing what they have potentially for a bounce back season next year. 

That's my serious answer to this.....see what you have in the minors! Because they need 1-2 to start at the beginning of next year.

At two separate points in the season this year (not early either) the Twins have had two different pitchers be dead last in ERA among MLB. 

It's not the fact that Shoemaker and Happ have been so awful that floors me the most, it's that management and coaching just won't seem to give up on them. They just can't handle the idea of losing a few million dollars. 

This alone should cause people to be weary of management. This team is still run by penny pinchers and the Pohlad's are a very large part of that issue.

5 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

I'm fine if they instead called up that guy they drafted from Grand Canyon State University last week. I assume he was a pitcher.

But even if he wasn't, I'd still rather roll with him.

There's no reason to keep him. I don't care if the Twins trade 6 SP. There would still be no reason to keep him.

With the state of the rotation for next season, the Twins need to figure out if Jax and Barnes are big leaguers. Same with Lewis Thorpe. One of those guys, or a combination, has to take Happ's spot for the rest of the season

Knowing how the front office sometimes plays hardball where it comes to dollars and cents, I can't help wondering if they are playing a game of chicken with a pitcher who simply has lost his stuff but (entirely reasonably) wants to collect the remaining paychecks they owe him.

Are they trying to humiliate him by running him out there start after start and leaving him in to pitch his own garbage time, in hopes he retires and renounces the rest of his contract? At what point to you just DFA the poor guy and accept the sunk cost?

I'm sad that I even have to think this of our guys. I really hope I'm wrong.

Should never pitch another inning I a twins uniform.

Prather see Andrew Alber for the next 2 months,  in Happs last start before today he gave up 4 in 5 innings against the angels without Trout Rondon otoni.  That’s a terrible Line up.  Bring up Barnes and when Thorpe returns from rehab assignment.

2 hours ago, ashbury said:

Knowing how the front office sometimes plays hardball where it comes to dollars and cents, I can't help wondering if they are playing a game of chicken with a pitcher who simply has lost his stuff but (entirely reasonably) wants to collect the remaining paychecks they owe him.

Are they trying to humiliate him by running him out there start after start and leaving him in to pitch his own garbage time, in hopes he retires and renounces the rest of his contract? At what point to you just DFA the poor guy and accept the sunk cost?

I'm sad that I even have to think this of our guys. I really hope I'm wrong.

No way, because if they really wanted to make a point, they would have let him get shelled for all 17 runs today. 

Which would have totally been fantastical to see.

34 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

No way, because if they really wanted to make a point, they would have let him get shelled for all 17 runs today. 

Which would have totally been fantastical to see.

This would have the makings of the weirdest grievance case evar.