Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Should Luis Arraez Bat Leadoff?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:02 AM

The Bomba Squad is going to have one of the best lineups in baseball no matter how they're ordered, but I wonder if putting Arraez at the top may put an unnecessary amount of pressure on him.

Where would you put Luis Arraez in the lineup?

• Otwins, Sconnie, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 708 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:12 AM

He should lead off. He can make the opposing pitcher work right from the start. My only problem I had last year with Kepler leading off was the frequency of one pitch/one out. That's not ideal for a leadoff hitter.

#3 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,963 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:26 AM

If it were my decision, would want him leading off. With that said, I doubt he will be there. Have a feeling it will be Kepler versus righties and I don't know who versus lefties. With Donaldson/Cruz at #2 and #3, who will be the left handed hitter batting cleanup. Don't be surprised if it Rosario, although could also be Polanco. Seriously doubt he will have three righties in a row.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,783 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:27 AM

With so many other strong OBP guys that also pile up XBH as options, I think I put Arraez down at the #8 spot and let him and Buxton form a 2nd, more traditional "top of the lineup" combo.

• birdwatcher, DocBauer, wabene and 1 other like this

#5 TouchEmAllGuy

TouchEmAllGuy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 106 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:58 AM

In a "traditional" lineup, yes, Arraez should be leadoff. He's perfect for it. However, Kepler worked so well out of the leadoff last year, I leave Kep there. I would prefer Kep gets more at bats than Arraez. Bomba City!

• h2oface, DocBauer, Tom Froemming and 3 others like this

#6 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 514 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:37 AM

Arraez should definitely hit lead off this year in the 60 practice games he will have to get used to hitting lead off. Does anyone really care where their team finishes in the standings this year? I mean really? I am sure that the players have been coached repeatedly on what to say when asked if these games really mean anything to them. If you caught most of them in an off the record situation like at the next stool having a cold one (not) you would get the truth.Noise from video games in the stadiums? Blue Jays just trying to find a place to play? Go Twins.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,473 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:21 AM

No wrong answers here, but Arraez was so good at getting on base last year that I wouldn’t have a problem with him at leadoff. His team-best Obp in 2019 indicates he could be the best one to extend innings late.
  • Danchat, DocBauer, rdehring and 1 other like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,473 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:31 AM

I do agree with Tom F that Polanco would be a good option at leadoff too, but I don’t see Arraez buckling under pressure. That was an epic PH at bat, for sure. He also rose pretty fast to the majors, no pressure there. And he takes some really intense at bats. I’m putting my chips on lead off!
  • DocBauer, wabene, rdehring and 1 other like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#9 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:30 AM

Arraez should definitely hit lead off this year in the 60 practice games he will have to get used to hitting lead off. Does anyone really care where their team finishes in the standings this year? I mean really? I am sure that the players have been coached repeatedly on what to say when asked if these games really mean anything to them. If you caught most of them in an off the record situation like at the next stool having a cold one (not) you would get the truth.Noise from video games in the stadiums? Blue Jays just trying to find a place to play? Go Twins.

I think professional athletes are some of the most competitive people in the world, and they'd probably want to win a backyard wiffle ball game against their own children, lol. It's going to be weird, but it's still the best baseball players in the world competing against one another.

From a fan's perspective, this year will be viewed differently, but I still care and want to see the Twins win it all.

• Sconnie, DocBauer, tarheeltwinsfan and 6 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#10 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,437 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

The Bomba Squad is going to have one of the best lineups in baseball no matter how they're ordered, but I wonder if putting Arraez at the top may put an unnecessary amount of pressure on him.

Where would you put Luis Arraez in the lineup?

Considering how well he hit in the playoffs, I think he can handle the pressure.

Personally I like more speed at the top. But I don't think it matters -- I think Baldelli will rotate the lineup day-to-day.

I'm fine with him batting 1st in the majority of games.

#11 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,889 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

He seems like a natural leadoff hitter, and didn't seem especially bothered by pressure last year.

• AceWrigley and rdehring like this

Update your priors.

#12 rationalfan

rationalfan

• 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:13 AM

The latest batting order analysis is that the two best hitters should be in the #1 and #4 spots.If you have a clear #1 then he goes at the top.The Twins have depth with 9 hitters at 0.800 OPS or higher.With similar production, the player with higher OBP goes leadoff and the higher SLG goes cleanup.This makes it pretty clear that Arraez (0.399/0.439/0.838) should be leadoff and Kepler (0.336, 0.519/0.855) cleanup...if those were the only two options...and if you just go by those stats.  

I like using the Runs Above Average contribution to bWAR which doesn't include position (because it has no influence on a batting order) and I ignore the Grounding into Double Play part because for most players, especially if they played a half season like Arraez, is pretty random.I also want to adjust for 700 plate appearances which is what Polanco got last year since for a batting order I don't care much about how often the player is in the lineup but rather how he contributes when is playing.I'll follow the latest batting order guidance continuing the above with third best hitter at #2, fourth best at #5, 5th best at #3, and then going in order down from #6 to #9 with breaking virtual ties with slugging higher (to drive in runs) and on-base or baserunning lower to set the table for the top when batting around.Here's the order with stats (OBP/SLG/OPS...Rbat,adj/Rbaser,adj/oRAAadj) and I consider oRAAadj within 5 (which is about 0.5 WAR) to be equivalent:

1. Garver (0.365/0.630/0.995...55/-4/51)

2. Sano (0.346/0.576/0.923...38/-5/33)

3. Polanco (0.356/0.485/0.841...22/4/26)

4. Cruz (0.392/0.639/1.031...55/-4/51)

5. Donaldson (0.379/0.521/0.900...28/-1/27)

6. Kepler (0.336/0.519/0.855...20/-5/15)

7. Arraez (0.399/0.439/0.838...19/-2/17)

8. Buxton (0.314/0.513/0.827...12/7/19)

9. Rosario (0.300/0.500/0.800...4/4/7)

When Garver sits then Cruz goes to #1, Sano goes to #4 and everyone else moves up one spot with Avila (0.353/0.421/0.774...-3/0/-3) at the bottom.

When Cruz takes a day off Sano again goes to #4, everyone except Rosario moves up a spot, and Cave (0.351/0.455/0.805...12/0/12) goes into the 8 spot.When Adrianza (0.349/0.416/0.765...9/0/9) plays, he would be in the 7-9 area depending on the lineup of the day.  

Gonzo would be a last choice based on the stats (0.322/0.414/0.736...-9/-3/-12).

Of course, this is a purely advanced statistical way of doing things, which I included because I love stats and I don't think anyone else in this thread will go this way (with the stats put in for you to play around with and make your own batting order!).Some don't like/don't trust the advance stats.Some believe in a consistent order (that hitters do better when they're more comfortable and therefore also hitting in the same part of the lineup).Some believe in putting veterans in the pressure spots.Some believe alternating righties and lefties is more important than anything else (this order has only one player who can bat lefty in the top 5 spots).There is also the ego to consider in the real world (would Rosario pout or demand a trade if he was put at the #9 spot?).

One more thing: I didn't use projections.For those of us fantasy owners, we know we use stats based on how we THINK players will do not what they've necessarily done in the PAST.I doubt Garver will put up numbers again from 2019, but if you think advanced stats are controversial, just watch when projections (Steamer, ZIPS, etc.) are used.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, ToddlerHarmon and TouchEmAllGuy like this

#13 Paul

Paul

• 167 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:19 AM

I think professional athletes are some of the most competitive people in the world, and they'd probably want to win a backyard wiffle ball game against their own children, lol. It's going to be weird, but it's still the best baseball players in the world competing against one another.

I played on a slow pitch softball team with Bret Saberhagen's AAA roommate.I was the SS.I was a terrible pitcher.At the end of a game we were comfortably ahead and the coach pulled him and moved me to pitcher.I was just f-ing with him and said"Don't worry, I'll close this out for you."He got visibly pissed.He was upset he wasn't going to get a complete game.

• Tom Froemming likes this

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,570 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

Nah.

Despite being constantly overlooked by TD members, Jorge Polanco is an elite bat and we should get him as many ABs as possible. I'm guessing Baldelli knows that.

Arraez is a great backup leadoff hitter if anything happens to Jorge. Right now I think you bat him 8th, Buxton 9th.

• LA VIkes Fan, Sconnie and wabene like this

#15 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,311 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:01 PM

Yes - I like HRs that count for more than one run

• dbminn, DannySD, dex8425 and 1 other like this

#16 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 361 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:47 PM

The depth and quality of options at the top of the order illustrate the depth of the lineup.Kepler, Arraez, Polanco all could excel in the top 2 spots.If Kepler leads off and Donaldson hits 2nd, that means Polanco and Arraez likely slide to 7/8 holes??In front of Buxton.Wow, what a lineup.

• DannySD and TouchEmAllGuy like this

#17 Trov

Trov

Ft Myers Miracle

• 455 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

I would lead him off, but times are a changing and not sure if he will.In terms of the 1 pitch at bat of Kepler, in traditional thinking that is bad, we are no longer in the traditional thinking world of baseball.There is some credence of the benefit of hitting that HR to get out to quick start.I also like the long first at bats as well.I do not get paid to make the call, but I sure the Twins will do their homework on this issue. 

#18 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,574 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

Yes!

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#19 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,477 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:13 PM

Yes. Something no one has mentioned is that he will hit behind Buck, after the first time through the order, which will give Buck plenty of pitches to steal 2B and 3B. 

• Danchat, Hosken Bombo Disco and TL like this

#20 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:48 AM

I say he needs to either bat 1st or 9th. Behind Buxton either way is ideal in my book. I will die on this hill. lol

This lineup is so stupidly deep that I don't think it really matter what order they're in, generally speaking.

• DocBauer, tarheeltwinsfan, JoshDungan1 and 3 others like this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.