• Create Account
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The training staff across the river is working on him even as we speak.

It didn't appear that Celestino was ready. Glad to see that Refsnyder will get back on the field (did I really just write that?).

Stretch him out now that games will be starting soon so that he can replace Shoemaker?   I just spent an hour plus crafting a poll and posting and this might answer it.

Just took a look at their 40-man roster. Trying to understand it is like trying to read a book printed in Latin.

Appears there are 45 players on the 40-man, with one (Colina) on the 60-day IL. That leaves 44. Assume that is allowed because they have what, 5?, players out with COVID. Gonna be interesting when they all come back to see the scramble as they try to get back to 41. 

It would get even more interesting if Gordon/Kirilloff/Both have an immediate impact. Then there might be some cuts. 

Appears there are 45 players on the 40-man, with one (Colina) on the 60-day IL. That leaves 44. Assume that is allowed because they have what, 5?, players out with COVID. Gonna be interesting when they all come back to see the scramble as they try to get back to 41. 

Yes, COVID IL players don't count against the 40-man.

Also, since we had an "outbreak" (and not just an isolated case), it appears that MLB is allowing us to remove any COVID replacements without needing to DFA them or send them through waivers. That's what we did with Telis today: "C Tomas Telis returned to Twins Alternate Training Site from Minnesota Twins."

I think we can eventually do the same with Riddle, Farrell, and Lin when the COVID IL guys are ready to return.

Appears there are 45 players on the 40-man

Expanding on my previous post:

Gordon is erroneously listed twice on the Twins 40-man roster page right now, so it's actually 44.

With Colina on the 60-day IL, we only need to get that number down to 41 after the COVID IL activations.

One of the COVID IL guys is Riddle, who will probably be activated straight off the roster back to the alternate site like Telis. That would reduce the roster to 43, with 4 COVID IL guys left to activate.

Farrell and Lin could be returned to the alternate site at that point, getting us down to our target number of 41 without any further cuts.

Normal roster rules usually apply to isolated COVID IL replacements. COVID IL players don't count against the 40-man, so it's easy enough to add replacements, but you have to DFA/waive those replacements to remove them, just like normal.

However, this year, MLB said if a team is dealing with a COVID "outbreak", then those 40-man additions could be subsequently removed from the 40-man without being waived when the COVID IL players were reinstated. They didn't publicly define what constitutes an "outbreak" but I'm guessing the Twins would qualify now, with multiple postponements and players affected. Here's an article from March explaining it a bit:

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2021/3/31/22359475/reminder-on-2021-mlb-playing-rules-and-covid-protocols

Since that article was written, the Nationals apparently qualified as an "outbreak" and did this with one outfielder on their roster, but other individual COVID IL replacements have just been treated normally.

Not that I would expect Riddle, Telis, and Farrell to have any trouble clearing waivers!

Thanks for these details. This is exactly what I was wondering about when I saw the latest moves (Lin swapped in for Telis) and what I opened this thread for!

I had thought that non-40-man players would be subject to typical waivers if they were sent down after replacing COVID-IL guys on the roster, but didn't know about the "outbreak" rules.

I would guess that Telis and Riddle would clear waivers, but wouldn't be totally confident - a catcher who's hit well at AAA (although maybe ultimately a AAAA type) or an infielder with a good defensive rep as a true shortstop could appeal to some team. 

I had thought that non-40-man players would be subject to typical waivers if they were sent down after replacing COVID-IL guys on the roster, but didn't know about the "outbreak" rules.

The "outbreak" rules are new this year. Last year, there was a lot of DFA action when teams had a bunch of COVID cases.

I would guess that Telis and Riddle would clear waivers, but wouldn't be totally confident - a catcher who's hit well at AAA (although maybe ultimately a AAAA type) or an infielder with a good defensive rep as a true shortstop could appeal to some team. 

Seems doubtful that they would be claimed, unless some other team was simultaneously experiencing a COVID outbreak of their own.

Telis has hit about the same at AAA since 2014, yet he cleared waivers in 2018 and has been freely available each offseason since then, re-signing with Minnesota to be our 4th or 5th string catcher each time.

Riddle is a bit more of a wild card -- this is only his first season on a minor league deal. But his previous MLB experience was with some pretty bad teams, and he's almost 30 now. Again, maybe a guy you'd like to plug in during your own COVID outbreak, but not someone you'd want to give a 40-man spot to otherwise.

Gordon optioned, and Simmons activated today (Monday).

Not that it really matters much in the long run, but this got me wondering about the COVID roster rules again. When a player goes on the COVID-IL, they don't count against the 40-man roster, so the team gets an extra 40-man spot for the duration of the player's stay. 

When Simmons came back from the COVID-IL, they sent down Gordon, who already was and would remain on the 40-man roster. The pair of moves, together, effectively fill one more 40-man spot. 

I was wondering how this worked, but it looks like after they made the flurry of moves last weekend, they still had one "free" 40-man spot because of the guys on the COVID-IL. Is anyone keeping track enough to know whether that's right?

Not that it really matters much in the long run, but this got me wondering about the COVID roster rules again. When a player goes on the COVID-IL, they don't count against the 40-man roster, so the team gets an extra 40-man spot for the duration of the player's stay. 

When Simmons came back from the COVID-IL, they sent down Gordon, who already was and would remain on the 40-man roster. The pair of moves, together, effectively fill one more 40-man spot. 

I was wondering how this worked, but it looks like after they made the flurry of moves last weekend, they still had one "free" 40-man spot because of the guys on the COVID-IL. Is anyone keeping track enough to know whether that's right?

Yes, that is right. It is confusing!

We're at 43 listed on the 40-man right now, but Colina, Riddle, Garlick, and Kepler don't count, so it's really just 39.

So we can probably activate both Garlick and Kepler when they are ready by removing only 1 more player from the 40-man -- likely Tzu-Wei Lin can be returned to the alternate site and taken off the 40-man, like Telis and Farrell before him. (And Riddle can probably be activated straight from the COVID IL to the alternate site off the 40-man roster again too.)

I wonder why they didn't let Gordon get in a game this weekend?

It's unusual, but I read it as circumstantial. The games where we was on the roster were all very close. If he wasn't getting the start, he wasn't going to pinch hit either.

So far the Twins have two guys on the 26-man who didn't get in a game - Gordon and Anderson. Last year it was Minaya. So, officially these guys were on the Twins major league roster?

Yes, they get MLB service time, salary, and benefits for those days, although they obviously won’t appear in most stat registers, since they didn’t accumulate any stats.

Telis was also on the roster briefly last week without getting into a game.

On the DFA guys:

I'm guessing that Lin wasn't eligible for the special COVID outbreak 40-man roster removal because he replaced Telis rather than a COVID case.

And while Riddle originally replaced Simmons, that was before the outbreak too -- single COVID case replacements aren't eligible for 40-man roster removal either. The Twins likely didn't get that those special outbreak permission from the league until a few days later when Garlick and others had to be replaced.

Stretch him out now that games will be starting soon so that he can replace Shoemaker?

I just spent an hour plus crafting a poll and posting and this might answer it.

I am not sure Dobnak is the answer. Thorpe would be a better choice.

Sounds like at most one more shot for Shoemaker Thursday against Texas, and then bye bye if he doesn't perform. Does anyone know if he has any options left or would he require a DFA?  Frankly, I would go to Thorpe on Thursday, with Dobnak getting a start or two in St. Paul this week so he's ready for the next time the 5th starter spot comes up after this week. I calculate that as Wednesday May 12 assuming everyone stays on schedule. If they go one more round with Shoemaker, which I think is the likely result, that gives Dobnak and Thorpe each a chance for at least one start in St. Paul to get ready for starting.