Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oliva and Kaat elected to National Baseball Hall Of Fame

lecroy24fan

2 hours ago, lecroy24fan said:

Tony Oliva and Jim Kaat have been elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame, along with Buck O'Neill, Minnie Minoso, Bud Fowler, and Gil Hodges.

I like the selection of Oliva, Kaat, and Minoso (although Kaat should be listed as player/broadcaster, because I don't think he's in as just a player.) 

O'Neil must have more to his candidacy than the available Negro League stats, because those aren't terribly impressive. (I have an autographed b&w photo signed by him that I bought off Ebay about 15 years ago - 99% chance the signature is forged - but I think it's cool he got in, even if I don't know exactly why. )

All I know about Fowler is on his Wikipedia page, and that didn't do much to convince me.

I don't like the Hodges selection at all.

I think Schilling, Bonds, Clemens, Rolen, Helton, Sheffield, Jones, and maybe Wagner should be in.  

2 hours ago, mikelink45 said:

About time - I want the voters to consider the inevitability of election and get people in when they are alive.  Buck O'Neill should have been able to celebrate.  Just so happy for Tony and Jim.  Now, why is Tommy John not in?

Those three have always been my top 3 who deserved to be in. 

I decided to check "headlines" on ESPN before I hit the sack last night.  Saw the headline "O'Neill, Minoso, Hodges "among others" elected to Hall.  And I thought, "Good for Buck O'Neill, there has never been a better ambassador of Baseball than him !"  And I was happy for Hodges being a Brooklyn Dodger fan from reading about them in my youth.  And as I read the article, BAM !!!  There it was.   "Twins teammates Tony Oliva and Jim Kaat, both 83, and the only living former players were also selected."  And I was just stunned for a moment.  I had to re-read and re-read again just to make sure.  After the Vikings stunning loss (yet again) what a treat to finish the day.  I have never been to Cooperstown but have always planned on going sometime.  Probably after I retire.  In fact, I've told my wife that if Tony-O (my FIRST favorite player and my ALWAYS favorite player) ever got in we would have to make the trip to celebrate him.  Going in with Jim Kaat is just icing on the cake.  I never thought I'd see the day Tony-O was finally honored.  WOW !!!  I may be in Cooperstown come July of 2022.  

15 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Great news for both of them, I’m glad this was done while both are alive and can celebrate their achievement!

I share the same sentiments, Brock! I’d like to see Tony O honored at Target field very early in the season as a lifelong Twin. Something should be done for Kaat, although less clear since he was traded away and played for other teams. I love his broadcasting.

With Tony O, in my early days of picking up Herb Carneal on WHO in Iowa, I still remember the staccato introductions of Tony Oliva by Bob Casey, Ladies and gentlemen.....now batting.....for the Twins.....the Designated hitter......number 6, Tony Oliva!!!!! 8,000 people never made so much noise!

So, happy and for Tony O and so proud of him and so proud he’s still part of the Twins family and is alive and well and able to enjoy this, like you said! Based on the pictures he was so delighted, then broke down with emotion. A great, great day for Twins baseball and my 2nd favorite Twin of all time. Rod Carew and Tony Oliva!!!

16 hours ago, gil4 said:

O'Neil must have more to his candidacy than the available Negro League stats, because those aren't terribly impressive. (I have an autographed b&w photo signed by him that I bought off Ebay about 15 years ago - 99% chance the signature is forged - but I think it's cool he got in, even if I don't know exactly why. )

Buck O'Neil might have been the best baseball manager of his era but integration ruined his chances at getting that job. The Cubs wouldn't even let him manage when they decided to do their "college of coaches" experiment. Everyone got to manage except the black coach.

Buck O'Neil is in the Hall of Fame for everything he did after his fairly unremarkable playing career. He was a first baseman with a .374 slugging in the Negro Leagues.

6 hours ago, TopGunn#22 said:

I decided to check "headlines" on ESPN before I hit the sack last night.  Saw the headline "O'Neill, Minoso, Hodges "among others" elected to Hall.  And I thought, "Good for Buck O'Neill, there has never been a better ambassador of Baseball than him !"  And I was happy for Hodges being a Brooklyn Dodger fan from reading about them in my youth.  And as I read the article, BAM !!!  There it was.   "Twins teammates Tony Oliva and Jim Kaat, both 83, and the only living former players were also selected."  And I was just stunned for a moment.  I had to re-read and re-read again just to make sure.  After the Vikings stunning loss (yet again) what a treat to finish the day.  I have never been to Cooperstown but have always planned on going sometime.  Probably after I retire.  In fact, I've told my wife that if Tony-O (my FIRST favorite player and my ALWAYS favorite player) ever got in we would have to make the trip to celebrate him.  Going in with Jim Kaat is just icing on the cake.  I never thought I'd see the day Tony-O was finally honored.  WOW !!!  I may be in Cooperstown come July of 2022.  

I didn’t know when the announcement would be made yesterday, so I checked a few times.  Then I went to do an annual Messiah sing-in in the early evening:  Hallelujah!! For sure!   When I returned home, I got the news in an email from my friend the White Sox fan (see, they can be good friends).   

22 hours ago, lecroy24fan said:

It is just as a player. 

I was always a small-medium Hall guy, but as this settles in, I'm a lot happier about Tony O and Kaat getting in than I thought I would be.  Beforehand, I was 50/50 on Oliva and mostly against Kaat.  I've had a major change of heart.  

I still don't like the Hodges selection or Baines from a couple of years back, but putting two of my borderline guys in can help me overlook that.

1 hour ago, gil4 said:

I was always a small-medium Hall guy, but as this settles in, I'm a lot happier about Tony O and Kaat getting in than I thought I would be.  Beforehand, I was 50/50 on Oliva and mostly against Kaat.  I've had a major change of heart.  

I still don't like the Hodges selection or Baines from a couple of years back, but putting two of my borderline guys in can help me overlook that.

Multiply this by 29 other franchises and you can see why I became a Big Hall guy.  No, I detest Gil Hodges as a pick under normal logic, but why not let a bunch of 70 year old NY fans wave their flags after all these years.

(As I always add, probably, what I want is an additional Inner Circle designation for Small-Hall purposes.)

12 hours ago, ashbury said:

I detest Gil Hodges as a pick under normal logic, but why not let a bunch of 70 year old NY fans wave their flags after all these years.

The problem is there are at least 20 guys on the Writer's ballot at least as good as Gil Hodges (including Mark Teixeira). If they elect everyone as good as Gil Hodges there are 150+ guys who should be in and aren't. They keep overlooking 150 guys to elect people like Harold Baines.

11 minutes ago, DJL44 said:

The problem is there are at least 20 guys on the Writer's ballot at least as good as Gil Hodges (including Mark Teixeira). If they elect everyone as good as Gil Hodges there are 150+ guys who should be in and aren't. They keep overlooking 150 guys to elect people like Harold Baines.

You aren't going to catch me defending the Baines pick under the current setup.

2 hours ago, DJL44 said:

I have no issues treating the writer's ballot and the veterans/golden era/whatever ballots differently. I was very much against the Baines induction on the writer's ballot (I'd go as far as to call it stupid) but would have little issue if Harold is inducted in 20 years on a later ballot.

Celebrating past eras of baseball and the players who played is a bit different from the 5-15 year induction process (which I consider more of an inner-circle ballot for the players whose Hall of Fame credentials are obvious).

5 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I have no issues treating the writer's ballot and the veterans/golden era/whatever ballots differently. I was very much against the Baines induction on the writer's ballot (I'd go as far as to call it stupid) but would have little issue if Harold is inducted in 20 years on a later ballot.

Celebrating past eras of baseball and the players who played is a bit different from the 5-15 year induction process (which I consider more of an inner-circle ballot for the players whose Hall of Fame credentials are obvious).

Baines was selected by an Era committee, not the writers. The writers routinely pass over the best candidates (especially if they didn't suck up to sportswriters) and are expected to deliver a shutout again this year despite having at least 15 players worth inducting to choose from. The Era committees induct their friends and personal favorites instead of the best players. Bill James covered this all very well in his book Politics of Glory. Not much has changed since that book was published.

8 hours ago, DJL44 said:

The Era committees induct their friends and personal favorites instead of the best players. Bill James covered this all very well in his book Politics of Glory. Not much has changed since that book was published.

Except now there are multiple committees doing it.  But if the writers did a better job, there wouldn't be a need for them.