Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Who gets fired for this?

POLL: Who should be fired first?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. The season is lost. 22-33 and we only went 5-4 against some the worst teams in the league. It’s done. Who do you think should be held most accountable for this?

• The players, who are playing well below their talent level
    • The Front Office, who has shown an inability to develop pitching
    • Rocco Baldelli, who has made a multitude of questionable decisions
    • The other coaches and trainers on the staff, who are seemingly behind this team’s bad play
    • Nobody

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2021 at 11:15 AM

This fascination with someone to blame is an interesting phenomena ..... there may or may not be someone to blame, but this idea that firing a person or two will fix things is really interesting. They won the division two years in a row....maybe that tells us something too....maybe this year is just a bad year, where everything goes wrong and unlucky and there is no fault or reason other than stuff happens. Most things in life don't have A cause, or meaning. They just are. Our human need for their to be a reason for things happening is really interesting to me.

3 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

This fascination with someone to blame is an interesting phenomena ..... there may or may not be someone to blame, but this idea that firing a person or two will fix things is really interesting. They won the division two years in a row....maybe that tells us something too....maybe this year is just a bad year, where everything goes wrong and unlucky and there is no fault or reason other than stuff happens. Most things in life don't have A cause, or meaning. They just are. Our human need for their to be a reason for things happening is really interesting to me.

I like this a lot. This is the "Faith" conundrum in a nutshell. Our human need for reason. People, let alone organizations can get so sidetracked in life by the need for understanding. Mysteries are a part of the deal in life, and there is much that has no explanation. It just is. Things just are. The need for reason causes a lot of undue hardship in many ways. I loved this post, Thanks!

Just now, In My La Z boy said:

I like this a lot. This is the "Faith" conundrum in a nutshell. Our human need for reason. People, let alone organizations can get so sidetracked in life by the need for understanding. Mysteries are a part of the deal in life, and there is much that has no explanation. It just is. Things just are. The need for reason causes a lot of undue hardship in many ways. I loved this post, Thanks!

thanks, and now I can't un-see my typo......but thanks!

Since the topic is 2021 not 2019 or 2020 I put down the players and the FO. I do wish there had been an "injuries" box to check. 

The players performances are fairly obvious. Even the uninjured have performed subpar, and many of the injured haven’t been exactly stellar before they got hurt. 

There seems no doubt the FO has not been developing high caliber young pitching talent, at least not any that has played in a Twins uniform. 

I don’t think Rocco is fault free, but some of problems have filtered down by the FO attempts at using reclamation projects for the bullpen of what was supposed to be a legitimate WS contender. That said he hasn’t given a clinic on managerial game time decision making. 

Baseball remains a pitching, defense dominated game. Yes you can beat the crap out of some pitchers, on some days. But being a legitimate threat against good teams, with good pitching is not done by outhitting them. 

1 hour ago, TheLeviathan said:

Nobody to "fire" but plenty of players should be in different uniforms by the end of the year.  Things started poorly, injuries have managed to continue to get worse, and we're too far behind.

Time to sell and prep for next year.

Next year might be a developmental year, rather than an all-in year. We’ll need to develop some prospects in to quality pitchers, as well as continue to develop the likes of Kirilloff, Larnach, Jeffers, and possibly Arraez.

The players technically win the poll by quantity. We’ll see many new faces in the bullpen, 2 or 3 new starting pitchers, and a new SS. This offseason maybe we’ll see another player or two on the move. We’re overdue to clear out the gluttony of corner OF/1B on roster. 

We could move on from the hitting coach. Is that satisfactory for fans? It doesn’t do much for me personally. 

Other than that, Falvey and Baldelli aren’t going anywhere. 

I expect some changes as the FO evaluates things and begins transitioning some roster positions to the next/emerging wave. But that would have been in play even if things were going well in 2021. Maybe that accelerates a bit.

I’ve been critical of Rocco and to a lesser extent the FO in terms of pitching development/acquisition (lack thereof)...but one year of poor results does not a trend make. From the dugout on up management is young and relatively inexperienced. They’re not yet nearly as brilliant as 2019 made them look. But at the same time, they’re probably not nearly as incompetent as 2021 has made them look. Let’s see where they go from here.

6 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

Yep. It's my opinion that this is simply one of those outlier years. Looking for a silver lining, I'll say that this is a good thing to happen in the long term. Time to jettison the veterans via trade or non-tender and get the young prospects involved. And I think Rocco is still going to be good in the long term as well.

3 hours ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

The Twins were competitive in 2015 and 2017, yet somehow between them in 2016 they lost 100 games due to some shaky assumptions. 

I’d clean up the assumptions, make a strategic trade or two at the deadline, look at some new off-field personnel, and retool for 2022. Get pitching. 

That '16 season was pretty monumental as far as firings go in Twins Territory. 

I agree with posters above that removing Rocco or any other coaches won't do much in the way of improving the on field product. I do hope the FO decides to rethink their approach to the pitching staff in year 6. 

2 hours ago, cHawk said:

Next year might be a developmental year, rather than an all-in year. We’ll need to develop some prospects in to quality pitchers, as well as continue to develop the likes of Kirilloff, Larnach, Jeffers, and possibly Arraez.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply all-in, just that this year was no longer worth caring about as far as outcomes.

26 minutes ago, AceWrigley said:

Doesn't someone need to be held accountable for the lackadaisical play?  The errors? The mental breakdowns? The terrible at bats? The inability to manufacture runs? On and on.

Yes, I think so, though I wouldn't know who. Though I find the sentiment that we can't fault anyone, things just happen, to be fairly strange as well.  While I agree that as individuals it is foolish and arrogant to believe we can discern not only cause and effect, but motive and intent in all cases, I would be appalled if the general vibe of the Twins decision makers were, "just not our year", with no corrective actions taken. Maybe the point is that we don't really know is fair, but the people running that multimillion(billion?) dollar operation supported in part by tax money, had better have some real answers/solutions.

Fwiw I voted for the players.

I am still in the fire Rocco camp as you can't fire the players.  (all of them).  

As far as pitching, we don't know yet as it takes a fair number of years before changes show up, will be much more concerned if we can't develop pitching two years from now.  We might as well trade, let a fair number of veteran pitchers go to see what the kids do.

We still have the issue I have noted elsewhere with Berrios and buxton.  You either have to extend them or trade them this midseason to get maximum value and I will not give the front office a pass if they do neither.  That is a Pohlad decision as it involves money, but both should be able to bring top 100 prospects (in Buxton's case maybe multiple) in return.  Pineda is another player you have to make a decision with (I am more with the resigning than trading).  A lot of these factors all play together.  

No one should be fired if the only reason for doing so is the idea that someone has to be fired. If anyone has consistently failed to perform up to reasonable expectations, then yes. And keep in mind that it's easy to fire someone. It is far more difficult and far more important to find someone significantly better to take the role of the person who was let go. And that should be done before the firing takes place.