• Create Account

GAME THREAD: 5/7/21, Minnesota Twins @ Detroit Tigers, 6:10 CDT

Roster Move: The Minnesota Twins placed Byron Buxton on the 10-day IL prior to the series opener with the Detroit Tigers with a grade two hip flexor. This is a less severe injury to the same one that White Sox outfielder Luis Robert just suffered, and will cause him to miss 3-4 months. Buxton is not expected back in 10 days, and is likely out for "weeks."  The Twins have selected the contract of OF/1B LHH Trevor Larnach, and have DFA'd LHP Brandon Waddell to make room on the 40 man. 

The Pitchers

RHP Matt Shoemaker (1-3, 7.83 ERA, 14 K's, 23 IP) vs LHP Tarik Skubal (0-4, 6.14 ERA, 18 K's, 22 IP)

The Twins will give the ball to Matt Shoemaker once again, and in what may be his last start for the Twins. Nobody has came out and confirmed this, but the Twins sent down Randy Dobnak earlier in the week with the goal of stretching him out. The most likely candidate to be placed is Matt Shoemaker, who has not been very good in 2021. Shoemaker returns to his hometown to face the Tigers, which is who he made his Twins debut against. The Tigers turn to once top prospect Tarik Skubal, who has also been bad. Skubal has given up 8 home runs in only 22 innings, and gave up the long ball 9 times last year in 32 innings pitched. Skubal relies on a mid-90s fastball, a slider that he throws to both handed batters, and a curveball that he only tosses against righties. He also relies on a split-finger fastball against righties. The split is his best pitch, with a whiff rate of 31 percent. The fastball has been crushed this year, with opponents slugging in the .630s against it.

The Lineups

Twins 

LF Kyle Garlick R

3B J. Donaldson R
DH Nelson Cruz R
C Mitch Garver R
2B J. Polanco S
1B Miguel Sano R
RF Max Kepler L
SS A. Simmons R
CF Jake Cave L

Tigers

RF R. Grossman S

DH J. Schoop R
3B J. Candelario S
1B M. Cabrera R
SS Niko Goodrum S
2B Willi Castro S
CF JaCoby Jones R
LF Akil Baddoo L
C G. Greiner R

The Twins leadoff with Kyle Garlick, who has had good success against southpaws this season, followed up by JD and Nelson Cruz. Mitch Garver, who has started to heat up lately, will hit in the cleanup spot, followed by infielders Jorge Polanco and Miguel Sano. With the injury to Buxton, the Twins are going to have to lean on Max Kepler and Jake Cave, even against left handed hitters, who hit in the bottom third of the order, with Simba sandwiched in between.  You'll notice that Larnach is not in the lineup, which I suspect is because the Twins are facing a lefty. I would bet that we see Trevor get his first MLB AB sometime in the middle innings, when the Tigers bring in a righty. With the injury to Buxton, it leaves a lot of questionmarks in fans minds in an already down year. Losing an MVP caliber player is not the recipe to clawing your way back, and if the Twins don't, we will likely see a sale in July. I released part one of my blog yesterday, ranking the Twins MLB roster by trade value.

Vegas Odds: Twins -145, Tigers +125, O/U is set at 9 runs

This Day in History - 2008: Carlos Gomez becomes the eighth Twins' player to complete the cycle and the first since Kirby Puckett accomplished the feat in 1986 when he beats out an infield single in the team's six-run ninth inning of their 13-1 rout of the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. The Minnesota outfielder's rare feat was only the ninth reverse natural cycle, collecting hits in reverse order of total bases: home run, then triple, then double, then a single.

Pick to Click: The bringer of rain brings some rain while rain is falling in the Motor City. 

Go Twins!!!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boy ... even the ads are in on the Twins this year ...  

Rosterman just blew my mind in the Ex-Twins thread. It appears that the Angels booted HOF Albert Pujols for former Twins legend Drew Butera.  

<<the sound of me tipping over in my chair>>

Posted Images

Thanks for the intro Mill1634!

Game Predictions:

The Maker of Shoes, with his job on the line will deal tonight.   Pitching a complete game by refusing to come out when approached to be replaced in the 5th inning and every inning after that declaring he will go down with the ship.   Thusly motivated he will hold the Tigers scoreless the rest of the game.  The bullpen will get a much-deserved? rest.  At least much deserved for us.   

The Bringer of K's which represents the name of the last 6 hitters in the lineup with the exception of Mr Simmons  will live up to their name despite facing he talents of one Tarik Skubal and his 6+ ERA.  However the top part of the lineup will deliver enough runs to secure the win.   As an aside, it is a shame we do not have Mr. Baddoo on our team  because with a BA under .200 and striking out almost half the time he would fit right in.  

This victory will have a positive impact on the team and will launch an 8 game winning streak.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Bally Sports for preventing me from watching Shoemaker pitch and Cave play CF.

I’m setting the over/under on Sano ks at 2.5. And I will bet the over.

Go get em fellas.

If i had to chose... I would take the under where he actually gets a few kindly borderline calls and is able to check his swings....