Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Pitchers that are available


Twodogs
 Share

Recommended Posts

Again I'm assuming the Twins will wait until the very end to see which pitchers are available in the bargain basement.  Good thing is they signed Buxton.  But if they don't sign some decent pitching they will be bad again next year, but with a happy Buxton.  They need to show a lot more.  Signing Buxton was fine but it doesn't improve your team at all.  He was already here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, prouster said:

I’m curious, once the lockout starts can teams “unofficially” discuss trades? I know they can’t make any transactions, but could they have a hypothetical discussion about what they’d accept or offer for players A, B, and C?

They can discuss all they like.  They just can't execute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kluber signing with Tampa is VERY interesting.  A great move by the Marlins to get a former CY Young vet to help their young guns.  it also shows me Miami is READY to deal some pitching.  They already had quite a surplus BEFORE the Kluber signing.  Let's see...Jeffers, Kepler, Larnach, Rooker...wonder what Miami wants and what they'd be willing to give up.  :)    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, TopGunn#22 said:

Kluber signing with Tampa is VERY interesting.  A great move by the Marlins to get a former CY Young vet to help their young guns.  it also shows me Miami is READY to deal some pitching.  They already had quite a surplus BEFORE the Kluber signing.  Let's see...Jeffers, Kepler, Larnach, Rooker...wonder what Miami wants and what they'd be willing to give up.  :)    

Um, this is confusing. You jump from Kluber going to the Rays to who the Marlins signed. Who did Miami get? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Um, this is confusing. You jump from Kluber going to the Rays to who the Marlins signed. Who did Miami get? 

I think just a simple mistake. No worries. Tampa Bay paid attention to Kluber last season and sees an opportunity. Kluber is a guy I wanted last year and, pending his physical health, again this year. He seems like a solid pitcher/tutor for Ober, Winder, et al.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kikuchi is a guy that I'm intrigued by. He had a poor debut season in 2019 but much better numbers in the short 2020 year, with the exception of a still high ERA. By reports he's got good velocity and a good slider. 

LH and only 30yo with a solid 2021 in the books, I'm wondering about some upside even. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DocBauer said:

Kikuchi is a guy that I'm intrigued by. He had a poor debut season in 2019 but much better numbers in the short 2020 year, with the exception of a still high ERA. By reports he's got good velocity and a good slider. 

LH and only 30yo with a solid 2021 in the books, I'm wondering about some upside even. 

Yeah, the FB velocity and the slider have me very interested. No idea why, but the fastball jumped about 3 MPH since he debuted in 2019.

Based on his JPL playing days, it looks like he's been pretty durable too. He's a guy I'd really like to roll the dice on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't think they are serious about drafting a proven free agent pitcher when someone like Gray signs for only 14M/year.  In today's MLB, that is a reasonable contract.  I expect they are seeking something that has higher club sided value in a trade like we did with Maeda.  If can't find that kind of a trade, welcome back Pineda I think will be the best we end up doing.  Hope I'm wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see them sign Stroman and Pineda for three years apiece and find another #2/3 guy by trade.  We have Dobnak for insurance and some really nice arms in development that could be close and could see a cup of coffee as soon as this year.  Also a top back end reliever would be really nice.  I think we would then be competing for the division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vanimal46 said:


Plenty of good names left. I doubt we end up signing the first 4 names on the list, but one or more of Wood, Cobb, Duffy, or Pineda will work. Then explore the trade market. 

It's also a pretty significant step down from those first 3-4 names to the Pineda ect. A trade might've been their best shot at acquiring front end talent regardless but I doubt that price will be any easier to stomach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ray seemed to sign for an very reasonable sum. What would it have taken to beat the Mariners offer and get him here? 5 for 125?

Starting to feel like they're going to go quantity over quality again this off season. I wonder if someone has decided, either in the front office or ownership, that the Twins won't participate until after the lock out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have to say, while glad the FO got the Buxton deal done, our biggest need, pitching ... so far it's a massive fail ... I mean, yeah, I'll wait to see how it all plays out, but ... sigh ... I hate this game of waiting, waiting, waiting ... until ... 'Oh, so and so's left! yah!' Especially when it seems DOABLE!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Further ... I get that we don't need to have a rotation of aces, we could do fine with 2's and 3's ... but we don't even have that. Some of our rookies, who have yet to even see time in the majors, *may* turn out to have that potential (Balazovic), but to count on that for this year??? Ugh. Cmon.

Yeah, I'm grumpy right now. Really grumpy. With a massive, almost-migraine-like headache.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KirbyDome89 said:

It's also a pretty significant step down from those first 3-4 names to the Pineda ect. A trade might've been their best shot at acquiring front end talent regardless but I doubt that price will be any easier to stomach. 

That is for sure. I’m just trying to stay realistic. How many more examples do we need to see that we are never playing in the top echelon of free agent pitching? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nicksaviking said:

Yeah, the FB velocity and the slider have me very interested. No idea why, but the fastball jumped about 3 MPH since he debuted in 2019.

Based on his JPL playing days, it looks like he's been pretty durable too. He's a guy I'd really like to roll the dice on.

He's interesting too because he was an all star last year, then absolutely cratered in the second half. Not sure why. His stuff is good, and Maeda might seem like a good mentor. He might want to stay on the west coast though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vanimal46 said:

That is for sure. I’m just trying to stay realistic. How many more examples do we need to see that we are never playing in the top echelon of free agent pitching? 

I'd almost prefer the old radio silence at this point. The current regime loves to let it be known they're "in on," higher end targets but the results have been much of the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, KirbyDome89 said:

I'd almost prefer the old radio silence at this point. The current regime loves to let it be known they're "in on," higher end targets but the results have been much of the same.

They were only linked to one higher end target this year. Making it sound like an evil ploy to throw off the fans is criminalizing them for no other reason than to vent frustration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Heiny said:

I'd like to see them sign Stroman and Pineda for three years apiece and find another #2/3 guy by trade.  We have Dobnak for insurance and some really nice arms in development that could be close and could see a cup of coffee as soon as this year.  Also a top back end reliever would be really nice.  I think we would then be competing for the division.

why sign Pineda for 3 years, his last two contracts have been for 2 years? On top of that he will be 33 in a month or so, and never has had a season with a WAR higher than 2.7. Also I can't imagine Stroman would take 3 years, when Ray(5), Gausman(5), Rodriguez (5), Gray (4), Matz (4), 37 year old Scherzer got 3, and soon to be 39 year old Verlander got 2.

I would love to get Stroman for 3, but is is realistic? and I would give Pineda 2, not three, because the prospects should be than him in by the time the contract is done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

They were only linked to one higher end target this year. Making it sound like an evil ploy to throw off the fans is criminalizing them for no other reason than to vent frustration.

Take it easy, I'm not "criminalizing," the FO.

Am I misremembering how the Darvish and Wheeler attempts played out publicly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

Featured Video

×
×
  • Create New...