Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Robbie Grossman tells Gladden he only needs 10 Spring Training at bats

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 jctwins

jctwins

• 422 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

During today's radio/TV simulcast Gladden and Provus were bantering about getting at bats.

Apparently Robbie Grossman told Gladden he only needs ten at bats to prepare for the season.

It was left to lie without much discussion.

If this is true, Molitor is failing the culture of work ethic that Gardy let slip so badly, and Robbie should be on a bus to Rochester when the club heads North.

• Carpetboy and ewen21 like this

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

You can work hard without getting into many games. I don't read much into the comment.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, Jerr and 9 others like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#3 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,552 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

With Morrison signing on that may be all the at bats he'll get.
  • ashbury, Carpetboy, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#4 Roaddog

Roaddog

• 256 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

I don't think it's a huge deal. When I played, albeit not at this level, I never stopped hitting.
  • gunnarthor likes this

#5 jctwins

jctwins

• 422 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

It says something, though, that there isn't a list of "stupid things you don't say when talking to the radio guy".

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,236 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

I don't think unrealistic over-confidence in one's own abilities and one's work ethic are necessarily tied together.
  • ashbury, gunnarthor, diehardtwinsfan and 5 others like this

#7 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,869 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

One would hope that it would take only a couple games to get up to speed. Grossman's comment could lead one to believe that he actually worked out over the winter.

• ashbury, birdwatcher, SwainZag and 4 others like this

#8 jctwins

jctwins

• 422 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

One would hope that it would take only a couple games to get up to speed. Grossman's comment could lead one to believe that he actually worked out over the winter.

There is no way these guys are working out against MLB level pitching. 

#9 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,690 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

I think Robbie is underrated.He has a .371 OBP on a teamthat was starved for OBP in 2016 and was a big reason the Twins were 3rd in the AL in 2017. I've known guys that can arrive at a gym and start playing basketball at a high level and others that need 20 minutes of stretching.Everyone is different. Morneau had some horrible ST years and apparently needed the reps because he did quite well to start those seasons and others hit right from the get go.Maybe Grossman faces Hunter Greene every day pitching from 50 feet during the off season. I suspect his days as a Twin are numbered but I think he has been a really good player for us.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 6 others like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,869 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

If you can hit you do so. After a few years in the majors it is not like he ha never seen major league pitching before.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,958 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

Frankly, those were similar comments to what the people on mlb.tv were saying. ST is for pitchers, hitters can get back in the flow very quickly.

• Jerr, Twins33, HitInAPinch and 3 others like this

#12 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,503 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

10 ABs from Robert equates to, what, 3 or 4 actual swings?

• Brock Beauchamp, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 18 others like this

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

10 ABs from Robert equates to, what, 3 or 4 actual swings?

Hahah, well played.

• Oldgoat_MN and jud6312 like this

#14 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

There are such things as pitching machines. Is it the same? No. But that’s what the 10 ST ABs are for.

#15 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,447 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

I don't think unrealistic over-confidence in one's own abilities and one's work ethic are necessarily tied together.

Well of course you don't think so.We already know that.

• Jham and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#16 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

To me, Robbie G will have a tough time fitting in on any team.He does a lot of little things right.Has quality at bats, etc.The problem is that he's a liability in the field compared to the other guys we have to roam the outfield.At the same time, he's not a bat to bring off the bench when looking for some pop...like a typical DH or pinch hitter.So, given that you have Esco to fill that role of pinch hitter with decent wheels, Granite to fill the 4th OF role and pinch run, etc... the only shot that I see for Robbie G depends on Sano's possible suspension.If Sano gets suspended, Esco moves to 3rd and Robbie may find a roster spot.Should be interesting.

Remember the days when we went into spring training with a lot of IF's?IF this guy can come back from injury, IF this guy can build on last season, IF this guy can figure out big league pitching, etc...not a ton of IF's this year and that's really nice.I sense an air of confidence with this team.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#17 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

To me, Robbie G will have a tough time fitting in on any team. He does a lot of little things right. Has quality at bats, etc. The problem is that he's a liability in the field compared to the other guys we have to roam the outfield. At the same time, he's not a bat to bring off the bench when looking for some pop...like a typical DH or pinch hitter. So, given that you have Esco to fill that role of pinch hitter with decent wheels, Granite to fill the 4th OF role and pinch run, etc... the only shot that I see for Robbie G depends on Sano's possible suspension. If Sano gets suspended, Esco moves to 3rd and Robbie may find a roster spot. Should be interesting.

Remember the days when we went into spring training with a lot of IF's? IF this guy can come back from injury, IF this guy can build on last season, IF this guy can figure out big league pitching, etc...not a ton of IF's this year and that's really nice. I sense an air of confidence with this team.

At first I thought you were saying when the Twins started with a lot of infielders. I remember seasons early in Gardy’s tenure when the opening day roster featured 4 or 5 middle infielders. Not even exaggerating. Gardy’s very first opening day roster featured Cristian Guzman, Luis Rivas, Denny Hocking, Jay Canizaro and the extremely forgettable Warren Morris, aka WaMo. After all, the key to a successful roster is 4 weak hitting second basemen.
  • gocgo likes this

#18 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,670 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

10 at bats, how's that going for him?

• Thrylos likes this

he gone!

#19 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,934 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

Why not?MLB level pitchers don't work out in the offseason?They don't face MLB level hitters in the offseason?

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't happen.It's not likely to be the every day regimen, but to write it off completely is a bit presumptuous I'd say.

Lots of players work out together in the offseason.It would seem reasonable to go against live MLB caliber pitchers/hitters every now and then.

Edited by wsnydes, 26 February 2018 - 04:39 PM.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#20 Drew

Drew

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 70 posts
  • LocationAim low, aim so low that when you achieve your goal, even you will be disappointed. ~ Homer Simpson

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

Ahhh I love Spring Training! I heard Mitch Garver tied his shoes withOUT making the bunny run around the tree. How will this impact his ability to react to offspeed pitches?

• Brock Beauchamp, SQUIRREL, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this