• Create Account
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been on about this for two years now, but Baldelli really needs to get over the idea that his best players need a game off every week.   It's unnecessary, and unproductive. It's baseball, for Pe

If you're not satisfied with what Byron Buxton has provided so far there's basically no satisfying you.

This didn't seem to have a negative impact on the Dodgers or Rays, last year's World Series teams.

Good read, thanks for this.

I enjoyed this blurb from the article and this is what I agreed with from day 1.

“There’s a balance between rest and performance,” says Brandon McDaniel, major league strength coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers, “Baseball is a highly skilled sport that doesn’t rely on raw athletic abilities like running and jumping.” According to McDaniel too much rest can take a player out of rhythm and increase the risk of injury because the body hasn’t developed the tolerance needed to handle 9 innings.

“The most important thing to do (to avoid injury and maintain performance) is to maintain the rhythm,”

Baseball, especially hitting is more about rhythm than anything. Example: Sano vs Buxton right now.

I played sports all 3 seasons in High School and one sport in college. While I played games/competed less frequently, I practiced daily. High School and College players never received days off. The best players played. While I think we all agree that baseball takes as much or more talent than other sports, it's not physically taxing for people who don't pitch.

I simply don't agree with the amount of days off the position players receive. If they aren't 100%, they don't play. Banged up players play in other sports all the time. Why does Rocco feel like any amount of soreness requires days off in Baseball?

The spectrum...

Play all the time even when tired or dinged, you’re still better than your replacement, you’re paid to play, and you owe it to the team and the organization to be in the lineup; Oganizations milk everything they can from players while they’re young and healthy.

to...

My first and only priority is to myself and my future earnings, and I’m getting paid either way; Organizations willing to defer wins today to protect (or at least THINK they’re protecting) investment and future payroll.

The pendulum always swings too far.

I guess my question is if the regular rest is key to preventing injuries it sure hasn’t worked during Roccos tenure. Maybe Roccos Rest Camp isn’t the answer to fewer injuries? Maybe it’s more playing time or different conditioning?

Baseball isn’t that strenuous of a sport. There are many sports where the athletes play more vigorously on nearly a daily basis.

Quality and quantity aren't the question.

I understand Jose Berios isn't as good as Nolan Ryan was.

But that's a differnent argument than Jose Berrios can't throw as many innings as Nolan Ryan.

In any case, it's unrelated to "it's not necessary or productive to give position players so many extra days off."

You didn't bring up Nolan Ryan another commenter did. Their point seems to be that the greatest of all time didn't need days off or get taken out of ball games to lessen the load therefore why should <pampered player>. So, in that context it does relate.

Also, you say that quantity isn't a question then proceed to mention the quantity of innings difference between Berrios and Ryan. Again, Ryan is one of the greatest pitchers ever somewhat due to the fact that he could just keep throwing the ball pitch after pitch, batter after batter, inning after inning, year after year. Why can't Berrios do that? How about, why can't anyone in today's MLB do that?

Personally, I think your original question has been answered by spycake...
"That means we've given 5 days off total to healthy regulars, as far as I can tell -- and two of those (Kepler vs LHP) were for platoon reasons, one was for an extreme slumping Sano in a doubleheader."

How about you reply to that comment instead?

This is the attitude that gets you no play off wins in 2 decades. People CAN see the writing on the wall in some situations. Not everything is hind sight. Rocco's "Good Year" happened to be when he lucked into a team that broke the HR Record. Thats it. You can toss 2020 out the window because a season consisting of 1/3 the normal games does not count.

So let me get this straight...both 2019 AND 2020 need to be thrown out the window. Because in 2019, the players played well out of the their dang minds. We can’t consider 2020 because it was two months. Now we’re inflating one bad week so much it’s already burst like a balloon. Logic.

What do we look at then? The postseason where his offense couldn’t do jack ****?

I think playing Morneau 163 games along with all star game and home run derby probably wore him out and having 7 or 8 games off over the course of the year might have been the difference between making the playoffs vs having to play a game 163 and losing.    I also agreed with the way Mauer was handled though I know I was in the minority.   I believe there is an argument to be had for the other side in terms of keeping guys in a routine and playing regularly.   If Buxton had health issues then sitting him is the right thing to do.   If not, then it is pretty silly to sit him this often while he is playing so well.   Playing 11 games in 10 days probably warrants resting everyone for a game or two.     The 6 game week schedule probably should be more like a game of rest every few weeks for the best players.   You do want your bench players getting game time as well to keep them sharp.    

Now Balldelli is responsible for Gardenhire’s teams, too. Amazing. If what happened last year  does not count by your logic what has happened so far this year is equally meaningless. What people see is what they want to see

I see 0 play off wins, regardless of managers, and the trend continuing. Thats not what I want to see and not only is it what I alone am seeing. Its is reality and fact, for all. 

So let me get this straight...both 2019 AND 2020 need to be thrown out the window. Because in 2019, the players played well out of the their dang minds. We can’t consider 2020 because it was two months. Now we’re inflating one bad week so much it’s already burst like a balloon. Logic.

What do we look at then? The postseason where his offense couldn’t do jack ****?

Correct.

Well if you’re correct and he’s as horrible as you say then we won’t make the playoffs this year, or ever for that matter until we fire Baldelli.

And now we play the waiting game. Lotta ball left, but there needs to be several coming to Jesus' with this team and changes to be made. 

You didn't bring up Nolan Ryan another commenter did. Their point seems to be that the greatest of all time didn't need days off or get taken out of ball games to lessen the load therefore why should <pampered player>. So, in that context it does relate.

Also, you say that quantity isn't a question then proceed to mention the quantity of innings difference between Berrios and Ryan. Again, Ryan is one of the greatest pitchers ever somewhat due to the fact that he could just keep throwing the ball pitch after pitch, batter after batter, inning after inning, year after year. Why can't Berrios do that? How about, why can't anyone in today's MLB do that?

Personally, I think your original question has been answered by spycake...

"That means we've given 5 days off total to healthy regulars, as far as I can tell -- and two of those (Kepler vs LHP) were for platoon reasons, one was for an extreme slumping Sano in a doubleheader."

How about you reply to that comment instead?

I fully admit I don't really know the answer for pitchers. I do believe strongly the lower workloads of today have done little to keep pitchers healthy. I don't know how to fix that. Maybe more work for younger pitchers, not less. Might be worth a try, dunno.

But my rant is about position players.

As to spy's comment, I don't think 2 weeks into the season is enough evidence to indicate Rocco won't be needlessly giving his best players more time off than is necessary or warranted. That's his MO.

The rant was more preemptive in nature than a reaction to last week. And I remain convinced it's counterproductive.

I see 0 play off wins, regardless of managers, and the trend continuing. Thats not what I want to see and not only is it what I alone am seeing. Its is reality and fact, for all. 

Does anyone really want to see playoff losses? Your earlier comment was what it was. By your own comment  last season does not count. So now you want to get rid of a manager because of one playoff series. I could say that is a tough crowd, but it is not even close to what I think of that thinking

Every team rests players for a day about every 3-4 games. It usually is a different player. However, fans might be upset if they hoped to see one of their favorites and he wasn't playing that day. Almost nobody plays much more than 152 games a season- even if healthy. They have to have a day off to rest or if they are in a slump or if they are facing a pitcher that they are 1 for 21 against.

I think some roster shuffling needs to be done.  Dobnak just doesn't have it right now and he probably has a couple options.  Unless Polanco suddenly starts hitting, once Simmons comes back I'm putting Araez at 2B and the top of the order.  Polanco moves to the super-utility role.  They just need Araez at the top of the order, setting the table.  My patience with Sano is virtually at an end.  He's a black hole in this lineup.  Kepler, Garver and others are struggling too, but not as badly as Sano.

It doesn't matter who plays for the Minnesota Twins this season. They are an average team at best and have to play at 100% to be average. Luckily, there are no great teams any more and at 6-11 only 4 games out of first. If I was Rocco, I would throw darts at the roster and that's my lineup. By the way, Rocco, stop managing and just let 'em play. Just watch the flow of the game and stop reading analytics spreadsheets.

90-110 players a year are playing more than 140 games a year. With thirty teams that means there are not very many good players or you didn't bother to back up your claim with facts.

Does that take into account IL stints? 

I'm not debating either way, I'm just legitimately curious. There needs to be some context there. Just because they're not playing 140 games doesn't mean that they're getting rested every 3 or 4 days.