Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Magic Number Thread

jctwins

We should absolutely have a magic number thread.     This seems like a good place to have it.    Minor suggestion, but I think it would be a good idea to have the actual magic number somewhere on the magic number thread.

I was thinking that if we had a magic number thread independent of this magic number thread, then we could have a magic number thread that shows the number and a magic number thread that talks about the need for a magic number thread. We could also have a thread that describes the origins of the magic number itself, which would be a tremendous addition to the collection of magic number threads.

Perhaps another thread could be initiated asking about other magic number thread threads that people would like to see. For example, I would also like a Run Differential magic number thread which would calculate a hypothetical magic number based solely on Run Differential back calculated into games won or lost or lost or won, magically.

Love all these throwback pics but does any one know the magic number?     Just throwing this out there.   After the Cleveland series we will either be 3.5, 5.5, 7.5 or 9.5 games ahead.    The only one that would put a serious hurt on us would be the 3.5 which would mean we were swept.    Given the schedule ahead of us especially the last 10 games with the Tigers and Royals, would anyone bank 1 win this weekend if they could?   Most likely result but probably by a very small margin would have us win two of three. 

I was thinking that if we had a magic number thread independent of this magic number thread, then we could have a magic number thread that shows the number and a magic number thread that talks about the need for a magic number thread. We could also have a thread that describes the origins of the magic number itself, which would be a tremendous addition to the collection of magic number threads.

Perhaps another thread could be initiated asking about other magic number thread threads that people would like to see. For example, I would also like a Run Differential magic number thread which would calculate a hypothetical magic number based solely on Run Differential back calculated into games won or lost or lost or won, magically.

Your post, it almost seems, dare a I say, irrational?

The Magic Number is: 16

16 is the number that thouest shall count to as of the end of the Red Stockings and Twins Royal Tilt upon the pitch known as Fenway, ended by the Glorious Hail Rosario. 

As of the hour of Midnight thou shall countest to the number of 14, after the Glorious melee upon the pitch of Target.   16 shall not be the number that thouest remains upon, unless thou procedest immediately to 14.

En Nomine Patri, Et Filii, Et Spiritus Sancti

Amen

Love all these throwback pics but does any one know the magic number?   

This site keeps track: https://s2.smu.edu/~olinick/riot/american_league.html . It considers things like remaining head-to-head matchups, but we're far enough ahead of Cleveland that this doesn't even change the calculation.

If you like to keep track yourself, just look at Cleveland's current number of losses, and our wins. This morning they're at 60. If they won the rest of their games, that would put them at 102 wins. Since we're at 87 wins, we need 16 more to reach 103 and put it out of reach.

Each loss they have, going forward, simply reduces our burden by 1, so their losses are equivalent to our wins. It's magic, not math, that number 16.

I guess that's an imaginary magic number. Sorry.

Here's Cleveland's magic number today: 29.

If you combine it with your imaginary magic number, 29+sqrt(-256) gets pretty complex.

http://mearsonlineauctions.com/ItemImages/000041/c38c1a8c-e8f5-4c70-8610-a011dd306ea7_lg.jpeg

Leroy Robert Paige. Satch, natch.

This site keeps track: https://s2.smu.edu/~olinick/riot/american_league.html . It considers things like remaining head-to-head matchups, but we're far enough ahead of Cleveland that this doesn't even change the calculation.

If you like to keep track yourself, just look at Cleveland's current number of losses, and our wins. This morning they're at 60. If they won the rest of their games, that would put them at 102 wins. Since we're at 87 wins, we need 16 more to reach 103 and put it out of reach.

Each loss they have, going forward, simply reduces our burden by 1, so their losses are equivalent to our wins. It's magic, not math, that number 16.

I was mostly joking.   I was wondering how long a post dedicated to the magic number could go before the actual number was explicitly stated.     I'm looking forward to the Billy Martin jersey.  Hopefully we see it here and see it with 7 or 8 games left.     Or better yet seeing Eddie Gaedel jersey pop up here with 1 in the 9th with us ahead in that game.

I was mostly joking.   I was wondering how long a post dedicated to the magic number could go before the actual number was explicitly stated.     I'm looking forward to the Billy Martin jersey.  Hopefully we see it here and see it with 7 or 8 games left.     Or better yet seeing Eddie Gaedel jersey pop up here with 1 in the 9th with us ahead in that game.

And with that, we got game threadtm material for the next couple of weeks.