Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted

In a world where the Twins are one starter away from being World Series favorites and a massive teardown is looming after the season, perhaps.

In any other world, including the one we're currently living in, it's a hard pass for me.   I wouldn't want to give up Emma or Quick for one year of control of just about anyone.  Definitely not both of them

Posted
5 hours ago, Bangkok Twins Fan said:

This article just caught my eye, but not sure how realistic or valid it is. Some writer from Bleacher Reports suggests that the Twins might trade for Logan Gilbert. What do Twins fans think?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/articles/twins-predicted-land-star-blockbuster-221525422.html

 

I like Logan Gilbert.  However, he is only under team control for 1 more year, through 2027.    The authors suggest ERod, Quick, and Ben Ross as the return.  Personally, I think that is a big overpay.  Riley Quick is arguably our top pitching prospect, certainly the most upside closest to MLB.  We aren't in a position to trade our pitching prospects for a pitcher with 1 year of control, even though he is very good.  It would be a different story if we trade and then extend. 

That type of prospect return should net someone with multiple years of team control, like Bryan Woo (under team control through 2029) or Emerson Hancock (under team control through 2030).     

I do think Seattle will part with Gilbert, Kirby, Hancock or Miller, but I don't think they will part with Woo.  Keep in mind, they also brought up the top pitching prospect in the game, Kade Anderson, so they have a surplus of starters (Woo, Gilbert, Kirby, Anderson, Hancock, Miller) and they also have Ryan Sloan who is in AA.  He is also a consensus top 10 prospect. 

Posted

This is one of those moves that mid-low market teams make to help supplement their farm systems. This is one that the Dodgers/Yankees/Mets/Cubs/Padres take a flyer one because those teams are just a piece or 2 away from making a big run and they can afford to lose a few prospects if it means end of season hardware. 

The Twins just don't have the capital (prospects) to afford this trade type of trade. At least without giving up their next couple of years when our prospects are to go. If I were to give up prospects for a player, it has to be a player I have more than 1 season of control left.

Posted

I mean, I'd prefer to extend Gilbert instead of Ryan. But I don't know how much faith to every put into bleacher report.

Plus how does any reporter state that adding Gilbert to Lopez and Ryan to make a big 3 when Taj Bradley was arguably as good or better than all of them in 2026? Gilbert probably had a slightly better season than Taj, but Taj was miles ahead of Ryan, especially in the 2nd half, and Lopez is coming back from injury.

Posted
6 hours ago, Bangkok Twins Fan said:

This article just caught my eye, but not sure how realistic or valid it is. Some writer from Bleacher Reports suggests that the Twins might trade for Logan Gilbert. What do Twins fans think?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/articles/twins-predicted-land-star-blockbuster-221525422.html

 

Skeptical the Mariners will finally trade a starter, but he would 100% be my top target.

Posted
3 hours ago, The Great Hambino said:

In a world where the Twins are one starter away from being World Series favorites and a massive teardown is looming after the season, perhaps.

In any other world, including the one we're currently living in, it's a hard pass for me.   I wouldn't want to give up Emma or Quick for one year of control of just about anyone.  Definitely not both of them

I like both yet still would trade both. History says the team getting the star player wins this trade just about every time.

With a rotation of Gilbert, Lopez, Ryan, Bradley then the Prielipp/Abel/Rojas upside (Kremer if we must), the rotation alone would make the Twins a contender. Then you'd have the giant pile of money Tom Pohlad is promising to get a middle of the order bat to pair with Buxton, Jeffers (yeah, I'm paying him since we're going for it) and the young, but now with some experience core. I'd be looking forward to 2027 more than any season since Target Field opened.

Posted

So the article linked is one guy writing about another guy's idea for a potential deal that he dreamed up 100% out of his own mind. This doesn't even qualify as a hawt taek, much less a rumor, and definitely not news.

Posted
14 hours ago, Major League Ready said:

Trading a good prospect for yet another SP that would become a free agent in 2027 might be the dumbest thing they could possibly do.

I agree. It would be different if trading for Gilbert would put us over the hump to get to the World Series. But this type of trade wouldn't even be good enough to get into the playoffs with the team we'd have behind him. 

Posted
On 10/6/2026 at 11:15 AM, Chembry said:

I like Logan Gilbert.  However, he is only under team control for 1 more year, through 2027.    The authors suggest ERod, Quick, and Ben Ross as the return.  Personally, I think that is a big overpay.  Riley Quick is arguably our top pitching prospect, certainly the most upside closest to MLB.  We aren't in a position to trade our pitching prospects for a pitcher with 1 year of control, even though he is very good.  It would be a different story if we trade and then extend. 

 

If Logan Gilbert is worth Erod+Quick+Ross, then I'm trading Joe Ryan yesterday. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...