Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted

I wanted to start a new thread here, as I am going in with a couple of assumptions here for this offseason. They are...

 

1) Ryan Jeffers does receive the qualifying offer 

and

2) Ryan Jeffers declines the qualifying offer. Jeffers then signs a 3-4 year deal with someone, and will make in excess of 50 million for that contract. That gives the Twins a good pick in the 2027 draft, and also leaves a pretty massive hole both in the lineup and behind the plate. 

With that, I think at the catching spot, the hole they'll try and fill is the "behind the plate" part more than the hole in the lineup part.

My question for you is, who are some catchers either on the free agent market, or via trade, that would be strong in controlling the run game that you like? Admittedly, Jeffers was well below average on this, and Caratini was worse. I also am going into this with thinking that Lackey will probably debut at some point in 2028, but I'd rather not play Caratini a majority of the time and just let other teams steal at will because of how bad he has shown to be at controlling the running game (even if both he and Caratini are both fairly solid at controlling the strike zone.

I don't think Cleveland would trade Patrick Bailey here, but I would love him and his defense here for 2027 and to eventually pair with Lackey. That said, there are other options. Here is what Savant ranks as the catchers in terms of "caught stealing above average" runs. Basically, this list is the order in 2026 for how good catchers were at catching runners trying to steal. For comparison's sake, Jeffers was -6 runs worse than average, and threw out 9% of baserunners. Caratini, in less time, was also -6 runs below average in terms of throwing out runners. I HAVE to think even getting to average, or zero, will be a massive improvement behind the plate. They are 70th and 71st respectively, out of 72 mlb catchers. Only Ivan Herrera of the Cardinals graded worse.

So what say you? Who do you like on this list as either a free agent addition or a trade target? And when I say trade target, one that is maybe realistic. I posted everyone that was average/zero or better.

Rk. Player Team SB Att.
(All)
Catcher
Stealing
Runs
Catcher's
CS Above
Average
CS CS% Est.
CS
Est.
CS%
CS Above
Avg.
/ Throw
Runner
Speed
Exchange
Time
Arm
Strength
 
1 691788.png Mack, Joe 146.svg 60 5 8 16 27% 8 13% 0.13 28.6 0.59 80.7 video.png
2 678218.png Valenzuela, Brandon 141.svg 57 5 8 18 32% 10 18% 0.14 28.7 0.63 82.4 video.png
3 666023.png Fermin, Freddy 135.svg 62 4 6 19 31% 13 20% 0.10 28.7 0.62 82.0 video.png
4 668939.png Rutschman, Adley savant-mlb.svg 47 4 6 17 36% 11 24% 0.12 28.4 0.66 81.6 video.png
5 672275.png Bailey, Patrick savant-mlb.svg 62 3 5 19 31% 14 22% 0.09 28.2 0.58 81.6 video.png
6 693307.png Dingler, Dillon 116.svg 52 3 5 13 25% 8 16% 0.09 28.8 0.62 84.2 video.png
7 661388.png Contreras, William 158.svg 54 3 5 15 28% 10 19% 0.09 28.7 0.60 79.2 video.png
8 669134.png Campusano, Luis 135.svg 36 3 4 13 36% 9 24% 0.12 28.3 0.67 79.1 video.png
9 620443.png Torrens, Luis 121.svg 30 3 4 10 33% 6 20% 0.13 28.7 0.58 80.8 video.png
10 691740.png Susac, Daniel 137.svg 28 2 4 9 32% 5 19% 0.13 28.7 0.61 81.0 video.png
11 640459.png Navarreto, Brian 146.svg 22 2 3 8 36% 5 21% 0.15 28.8 0.66 82.6 video.png
12 623168.png Heineman, Tyler savant-mlb.svg 44 2 3 11 25% 8 18% 0.07 28.5 0.56 74.3 video.png
13 596117.png Stubbs, Garrett 143.svg 17 2 3 6 35% 3 16% 0.19 28.4 0.61 82.5 video.png
14 592663.png Realmuto, J.T. 143.svg 66 2 3 14 21% 11 16% 0.05 28.8 0.61 82.6 video.png
15 672515.png Moreno, Gabriel 109.svg 45 2 3 12 27% 9 20% 0.07 28.4 0.61 79.5 video.png
16 660710.png Durán, Rodolfo 135.svg 21 2 3 7 33% 4 19% 0.14 28.6 0.64 84.7 video.png
17 680779.png Davis, Henry 134.svg 25 2 3 10 40% 7 28% 0.12 28.5 0.63 85.8 video.png
18 669127.png Langeliers, Shea 133.svg 37 2 3 11 30% 8 22% 0.08 28.6 0.63 84.0 video.png
19 686780.png Pagés, Pedro 138.svg 48 2 3 15 31% 12 26% 0.06 28.4 0.63 81.1 video.png
20 689414.png Hicks, Liam savant-mlb.svg 50 2 3 10 20% 7 15% 0.05 28.6 0.67 79.3 video.png
21 691019.png Teel, Kyle 145.svg 26 2 2 8 31% 6 22% 0.09 28.5 0.68 81.6 video.png
22 695600.png Jensen, Carter 118.svg 43 2 2 12 28% 10 22% 0.05 28.5 0.66 81.9 video.png
23 694212.png Basallo, Samuel 110.svg 39 1 2 11 28% 9 23% 0.06 28.7 0.70 84.8 video.png
24 663698.png Bart, Joey savant-mlb.svg 35 1 2 9 26% 7 21% 0.05 28.7 0.67 80.4 video.png
25 553869.png Díaz, Elias savant-mlb.svg 26 1 2 7 27% 5 21% 0.06 28.5 0.62 81.6 video.png
26 521692.png Perez, Salvador 118.svg 20 1 1 6 30% 5 23% 0.07 28.8 0.60 76.9 video.png
27 682626.png Alvarez, Francisco 121.svg 44 1 1 10 23% 9 19% 0.03 28.4 0.64 82.9 video.png
28 691011.png Romo, Drew 145.svg 47 1 1 12 26% 11 23% 0.03 28.2 0.60 80.5 video.png
29 624431.png Trevino, Jose 113.svg 39 1 1 9 23% 8 20% 0.03 28.4 0.60 74.6 video.png
30 668670.png Rogers, Jake savant-mlb.svg 33 1 1 7 21% 6 18% 0.03 28.2 0.58 76.5 video.png
31 641555.png Escarra, J.C. 147.svg 17 1 1 5 29% 4 25% 0.05 28.7 0.61 78.5 video.png
32 701852.png Cavanaugh, Drew 137.svg 38 0 1 9 24% 8 22% 0.02 28.1 0.61 80.4 video.png
33 663743.png Fortes, Nick 139.svg 75 0 0 15 20% 15 19% 0.01 28.4 0.61 79.0 video.png
34 606992.png Haase, Eric 137.svg 21 0 0 4 19% 4 19% 0.00 28.7 0.68 81.1 video.png
35 673237.png Diaz, Yainer 117.svg 62 0 0 13 21% 13 21% 0.00 28.2 0.68 83.6 video.png
36 687221.png Rushing, Dalton 119.svg 28 0 0 5 18% 5 18% -0.01 28.4 0.61 79.1 video.png
37 665804.png Amaya, Miguel 112.svg 30 0 0 7 23% 7 24% -0.01 28.6 0.64 80.0 video.png
38 665966.png Narváez, Carlos savant-mlb.svg 49 0 0 10 20% 10 21% -0.01 28.5 0.61 74.5 video.png
39 700337.png Quero, Edgar 145.svg 28 0 0 6 21% 6 23% -0.01 29.0 0.58 77.8 video.png
40 669257.png Smith, Will 119.svg 41 0 0 7 17% 7 18% -0.01 28.6 0.66 79.4 video.png
41 596142.png Sánchez, Gary 158.svg 19 0 0 5 26% 5 29% -0.02 27.9 0.72 83.4 video.png
42 518595.png d'Arnaud, Travis 108.svg 17 0 0

 

Posted

San Diego and St. Louis are clubs to call, at least for a conversation. Henry Davis (PIT) has struggled to hit but he is a catcher. Hard to know what teams want or if they actually value a Twin player. 

The last three offseasons (more really) have been so disappointing and the July 2025 sale that sent away the bullpen but failed to follow through by moving anyone last offseason left me numb. What is the plan?

Posted
59 minutes ago, tony&rodney said:

San Diego and St. Louis are clubs to call, at least for a conversation. Henry Davis (PIT) has struggled to hit but he is a catcher. Hard to know what teams want or if they actually value a Twin player. 

The last three offseasons (more really) have been so disappointing and the July 2025 sale that sent away the bullpen but failed to follow through by moving anyone last offseason left me numb. What is the plan?

Good question. I guess we'll see if Zoll in charge of an offseason is any different. Hopefully also with a clear picture from ownership. There shouldn't be excuses like that now. We'll see.

Posted

I'm still the guy who thinks we should leave the catching alone. I'll roll with Caratini and Jackson. Spend resources elsewhere. 

We signed Caratini for 7 million. Catching has been paid for. Over paid for. We don't want to invest any more cash or trade capital into the position. 

We had Jhonny Perada and we gave him away in order to spend 14 million for a backup catcher. Hindsight being 20/20... That was stupid. 

Jeffers will strongly consider taking a QO because 23 million will be almost two years worth of what he will make as a free agent.

If he takes it. 30 million spent on the C position is an impossible percentage of budget spent on the position. 

We could trade Caratini but we would have to eat money to get anything back because we out bid what other teams would pay for someone who under performed. 

The team either signs Jeffers a 3 year deal at 45 million and they give away Caratini to the club who will require less of the contract to be eaten. 

Or they stay clear and watch Jeffers finally get the opportunity to choose what team he plays for. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Parfigliano said:

A big part of controlling the running game is on the pitcher.  My eye test says TC pitcher's are lousy at it borderline don't care to even try. 

In my opinion this is an organizational decision in that they don't value stolen bases and feel they have minimal impact from an analytical standpoint therefore they don't work at holding runners on.  I am not sure how we can grade our catchers on caught stealing because they get no help from the pitchers.

Posted
1 hour ago, Riverbrian said:

I'm still the guy who thinks we should leave the catching alone. I'll roll with Caratini and Jackson. Spend resources elsewhere. 

We signed Caratini for 7 million. Catching has been paid for. Over paid for. We don't want to invest any more cash or trade capital into the position. 

We had Jhonny Perada and we gave him away in order to spend 14 million for a backup catcher. Hindsight being 20/20... That was stupid. 

Jeffers will strongly consider taking a QO because 23 million will be almost two years worth of what he will make as a free agent.

If he takes it. 30 million spent on the C position is an impossible percentage of budget spent on the position. 

We could trade Caratini but we would have to eat money to get anything back because we out bid what other teams would pay for someone who under performed. 

The team either signs Jeffers a 3 year deal at 45 million and they give away Caratini to the club who will require less of the contract to be eaten. 

Or they stay clear and watch Jeffers finally get the opportunity to choose what team he plays for. 

Alex Jackson's future is in his hands.  He now has the option to choose minor league free agency, since he has more than 3 years of service time and not currently on the 40 man.  That is unless the Twins add him to the 40 man, which they haven't done yet. 

Who knows if Jackson will do that or not, but it wouldn't surprise me with the way he was handled down the stretch.  On the other hand, he passed through waivers 3 times with nobody claiming him.  He may have to settle for a minor league deal.  If that's the case, he may elect to stay for his Arb 2 year.  

That is a long way to say, Jackson has the option to force the Twins to make a decision on him. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Chembry said:

Alex Jackson's future is in his hands.  He now has the option to choose minor league free agency, since he has more than 3 years of service time and not currently on the 40 man.  That is unless the Twins add him to the 40 man, which they haven't done yet. 

Who knows if Jackson will do that or not, but it wouldn't surprise me with the way he was handled down the stretch.  On the other hand, he passed through waivers 3 times with nobody claiming him.  He may have to settle for a minor league deal.  If that's the case, he may elect to stay for his Arb 2 year.  

That is a long way to say, Jackson has the option to force the Twins to make a decision on him. 

I agree... The Twins would have to add him to the 40 man. In order to do so... they would have to clear some space. There are currently 42 on the 40 man with 60 man IR players who will return to duty. There are logical choices for that sort of thing.  

And all of this makes the way we handled him at the end of the year in regard to the 26 man placement and the repeated exposure to the waiver wire. Well... Kinda Strange.  

Posted
5 hours ago, Riverbrian said:

I'm still the guy who thinks we should leave the catching alone. I'll roll with Caratini and Jackson. Spend resources elsewhere. 

We signed Caratini for 7 million. Catching has been paid for. Over paid for. We don't want to invest any more cash or trade capital into the position. 

We had Jhonny Perada and we gave him away in order to spend 14 million for a backup catcher. Hindsight being 20/20... That was stupid. 

Jeffers will strongly consider taking a QO because 23 million will be almost two years worth of what he will make as a free agent.

If he takes it. 30 million spent on the C position is an impossible percentage of budget spent on the position. 

We could trade Caratini but we would have to eat money to get anything back because we out bid what other teams would pay for someone who under performed. 

The team either signs Jeffers a 3 year deal at 45 million and they give away Caratini to the club who will require less of the contract to be eaten. 

Or they stay clear and watch Jeffers finally get the opportunity to choose what team he plays for. 

Caratini looked unplayable the last few months behind the plate. His bat fell off too. I don’t know what they will do, but if they are expecting him to be even an equal share, woof

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

Caratini looked unplayable the last few months behind the plate. His bat fell off too. I don’t know what they will do, but if they are expecting him to be even an equal share, woof

Caratini had some decent years at the plate prior and that got him a two year 14 million dollar deal and we had to outbid the other teams to get him.... But... Yeah... This Year... his performance wasn't so great.  

Players go up and down all the time... month to month and year to year...  so I wouldn't rule the possibility of a rebound next season but I'm guessing that the Twins are committed to his 7 million and moving that one year left at 7 million will cost money since we already had to outbid teams for his services and thereofre won't return anything in a trade.

So... I think they have to sleep in the bed they made.

Caratini plus some one else... by someone else cheap with defensive ability and that would have to be our 2027 plan with Caratini the primary. 

Under that consideration... I'm ok with Jackson being that guy. Unless they can find another Jackson like player at lower dollar. 

Jeffers... I'm a big fan. But, the QO scares me. I don't think it's guaranteed he will turn it down. And I am absolutely opposed to a 30 million dollar investment at the catcher position. We have too many other areas to address if we have money to spend.   

Ultimately... Get those minor league catchers rising through the ranks so we can stop this hole plugging. 

Other than Jeffers who was a long time ago because he is becoming a free agent. Our development at C and 1B is nowhere near what the other 29 teams have been able to develop. 

 

Posted
1 hour ago, Riverbrian said:

Caratini had some decent years at the plate prior and that got him a two year 14 million dollar deal and we had to outbid the other teams to get him.... But... Yeah... This Year... his performance wasn't so great.  

Players go up and down all the time... month to month and year to year...  so I wouldn't rule the possibility of a rebound next season but I'm guessing that the Twins are committed to his 7 million and moving that one year left at 7 million will cost money since we already had to outbid teams for his services and thereofre won't return anything in a trade.

So... I think they have to sleep in the bed they made.

Caratini plus some one else... by someone else cheap with defensive ability and that would have to be our 2027 plan with Caratini the primary. 

Under that consideration... I'm ok with Jackson being that guy. Unless they can find another Jackson like player at lower dollar. 

Jeffers... I'm a big fan. But, the QO scares me. I don't think it's guaranteed he will turn it down. And I am absolutely opposed to a 30 million dollar investment at the catcher position. We have too many other areas to address if we have money to spend.   

Ultimately... Get those minor league catchers rising through the ranks so we can stop this hole plugging. 

Other than Jeffers who was a long time ago because he is becoming a free agent. Our development at C and 1B is nowhere near what the other 29 teams have been able to develop. 

 

Fair. I want more than Alex Jackson. That's what I'm getting at. I want someone who can be better than the worst in baseball at throwing out runners, like Caratini and Jeffers were.

I think if they are a serious team, and they actually want to try in 2027, they will.

Heck, Cory Provus' interview (there is another thread with this) he stated they HAVE to upgrade there, in terms of controlling the running game from the catcher position. If he is saying that in an interview, it's 100% being talked about in the front office.

Posted
1 hour ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

Fair. I want more than Alex Jackson. That's what I'm getting at. I want someone who can be better than the worst in baseball at throwing out runners, like Caratini and Jeffers were.

I think if they are a serious team, and they actually want to try in 2027, they will.

Heck, Cory Provus' interview (there is another thread with this) he stated they HAVE to upgrade there, in terms of controlling the running game from the catcher position. If he is saying that in an interview, it's 100% being talked about in the front office.

I want someone better as well but we gotta be sensible on the expense of it. So until we grow our own. And here's hoping for a smooth rocket ride up the ladder for Lackey.

I'd rather we try to fix what Provus is talking about and not pay the extra money for offense and get some cheaper catcher who can frame, throw and call a good game. Cory is right... teams were running wild on us but I also wonder how much our pitching had to do with that and I also wonder if that is part of the reason that Maki is no longer employed. 

If Jeffers takes the QO (dont' like this option). The combination of Jeffers and Caratini is 30 Million. 

Granted that It's two roster spots but essentially that's 30 million for one catcher position. That's the equivalent of signing Carlos Correa to play SS. After paying 35 million for Correa... the backup SS isn't going to make significant money because that money has to address other needs and let's be honest. After you sign Correa.. or pay 30 million for the catcher position. There isn't much left over to sign anyone at all.  

Catchers play 130 games at most. 30 Million for the catcher position can't be justified. It just can't. 15 million a year is what the top catcher in baseball makes and those who are paying 15 million a year for a single catcher... certainly don't have a backup making 7 million. Unless you are the big boys with money to burn. The backup is going to be making the minimum or barely over the minimum.  

We have a budget so I'm perfectly fine with punting the catcher position. By punting I mean... defensive guys who hold the bat upside down and cow handed in the 9 spot until our farm starts producing major league talent.

That way we can focus our limited budget on the other needs. Like a power hitting 1B for multi years.   

Posted

I think the elephant in the room on all the decisions written about on this site is this: are you really trying to win in 2027 or are you pointing towards 2028?  Full disclosure: I am not interested in having a conversation about what TP said because I don’t believe they were truly trying to win last year until the AL was so historically bad that they got their bluff called. If you are going to reload for a year then just make Alex Jackson your backup, and by the way trade Joe Ryan and any other expiring contracts. I personally don’t think they are set up to win in 2027 but they could have been if they had leadership in 2025. 

Posted

See, I’d prefer to trade for a solid backup who is even average on defense. Doesn’t have to be amazing, but can hold their own. And hopefully Lackey or Diaw or others can help in time. Go from there 

Posted

The Twins system is loaded with future catching prospects:: Lackey, Tait, Diaw, Tinney.    This would be the wrong time to sign any veteran to a long term contract.   Go with Caratini, Jackson or maybe a veteran on a one year deal (maybe Jeffers takes the QO) !  

Posted
58 minutes ago, strumdatjag said:

The Twins system is loaded with future catcher: Lackey, Tait, Diaw, Tinney.    This would be the wrong time to sign any. Veteran to a long term contract.   Go with Caratini, Jackson or maybe a veteran on a one year deal (maybe Jeffers takes the QO) !  

I agree, I don't see any free agents or trades that have more than 2 years on their deal coming here. But if they can get a trade for a good defensive catcher who would be here for 2027 and 2028 I'd be ok with that. Otherwise one year is fine with me.

I don't know that I trust any of the catchers in our system, other than Lackey, to be above average defensively. It'll be interesting to see if Diaw can push to get to AAA at some point in 2027 and still be behind the plate. I expect Tait and Tinny to be more 1B type, but they could certainly surprise.

Posted
59 minutes ago, TheLeviathan said:

Trade something inconsequential for Henry Davis and let the backup be a good defender with upside.

I don't see any upside with Jackson and Caratini is a mostly hideous full-time option.  I'd like to put the at-bats into something that may have some actual payoff, as remote as it might be.

Yup, Davis or Freddy Fermin of the Padres or Pedro Pages of the Cardinals. Someone with a decent glove and throwing ability who has a starter ahead of them on their own team so they won't (probably) cost all that much to acquire. That sounds good to me.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Linus said:

What happened to Harry Ford of the Mariners? He was kind of Lackey light for a while there. 

He was traded to the Nationals last offseason for reliever Jose Ferrer. Ford mostly had a pretty subpar year offensively at AAA for the Nationals. I don't know if his defense is elite or not, but I'd be open to trying for him too if he is available and they think he can help.

Posted

Many have mentioned Henry Davis of the Pirates, a former top draft pick that has struggled mightily in the majors. Good defensive tools from what I know, but he has yet to hit even above the Mendoza line. For all those folks who complained about Vasquez and Caratini I don't think Davis will be the answer. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Bangkok Twins Fan said:

Certainly short-sighted. Perada ended up playing pretty well for Seattle this season.

To be fair... it was just a 100 AB sample with the Mariners but yeah... statistically in that sample size he was the best hitting catcher in Seattle last season. 

 

Posted

Who isn't miffed to see other teams seemingly running at will against the Twins? It is a team-wide problem, well pitchers and catchers anyway and I don't think it is all on the catchers. On at least half and probably closer to two-thirds of the steal attempts last year the catcher had no chance. That's on the pitchers. 

Another point to consider is how important slowing a running game is overall. It isn't a be-all or end-all, but it is far from worthless IMHO. The Twins absolutely need to be better at limiting the opponents' running game in 2027 IMHO. Here's where I insert the Alex Jackson conversation.

In small sample sizes, it appears that Jackson has the tools to be good to very good in limiting the running game. His pop time is well above average and his arm strength appears above average although I couldn't find a velocity number. Jackson had a fluky good season hitting, which I doubt he would sustain, but I think that with a normal backup catcher's workload he could be a defensive asset and not hurt the team too much offensively.

Apart from limiting the running game, I thought Caratini was okay as a defender and he had one good month of hitting (playing a lot). I wonder what he could do with 60% usage. I doubt he would be above average, but maybe approaching what is expected for a catcher. 

Finally, I don't rule out Lackey making his major league debut sometime in 2027. He was a college player, so he's the same age as Walker Jenkins, although the complexities of catching probably would delay a promotion somewhat. Lackey/Tiat in 2028? That would be exciting. 

Posted
1 hour ago, stringer bell said:

Who isn't miffed to see other teams seemingly running at will against the Twins? It is a team-wide problem, well pitchers and catchers anyway and I don't think it is all on the catchers. On at least half and probably closer to two-thirds of the steal attempts last year the catcher had no chance. That's on the pitchers. 

Another point to consider is how important slowing a running game is overall. It isn't a be-all or end-all, but it is far from worthless IMHO. The Twins absolutely need to be better at limiting the opponents' running game in 2027 IMHO. Here's where I insert the Alex Jackson conversation.

In small sample sizes, it appears that Jackson has the tools to be good to very good in limiting the running game. His pop time is well above average and his arm strength appears above average although I couldn't find a velocity number. Jackson had a fluky good season hitting, which I doubt he would sustain, but I think that with a normal backup catcher's workload he could be a defensive asset and not hurt the team too much offensively.

Apart from limiting the running game, I thought Caratini was okay as a defender and he had one good month of hitting (playing a lot). I wonder what he could do with 60% usage. I doubt he would be above average, but maybe approaching what is expected for a catcher. 

Finally, I don't rule out Lackey making his major league debut sometime in 2027. He was a college player, so he's the same age as Walker Jenkins, although the complexities of catching probably would delay a promotion somewhat. Lackey/Tiat in 2028? That would be exciting. 

Jackson is also a decent runner, especially for a catcher. I can see what they liked in him as a backup or third catcher. I don’t understand the roster handling of him but that can be added to the rather lengthy list of things I don’t understand 😀

Posted
8 hours ago, Bangkok Twins Fan said:

Many have mentioned Henry Davis of the Pirates, a former top draft pick that has struggled mightily in the majors. Good defensive tools from what I know, but he has yet to hit even above the Mendoza line. For all those folks who complained about Vasquez and Caratini I don't think Davis will be the answer. 

Not an answer necessarily, but a good investment of a roster spot.  The Twins hope they have their catcher of the future already in Lackey.  

Acquiring Davis is a chance at giving at-bats to someone who could find new life and value once he's away from Pittsburgh.  Odds are it fails, but if all you lost was Royce Lewis or Bailey Ober or some other castaway than the effort is worth it.

It's the "It might even be a Kody Clemens" approach to mystery boxes.  (I like Ford as another option for this btw, he's a good suggestion)

Posted
3 hours ago, TheLeviathan said:

Not an answer necessarily, but a good investment of a roster spot.  The Twins hope they have their catcher of the future already in Lackey.  

Acquiring Davis is a chance at giving at-bats to someone who could find new life and value once he's away from Pittsburgh.  Odds are it fails, but if all you lost was Royce Lewis or Bailey Ober or some other castaway than the effort is worth it.

It's the "It might even be a Kody Clemens" approach to mystery boxes.  (I like Ford as another option for this btw, he's a good suggestion)

It has my vote.

Years of control if you do straighten him out with some more exposure. 

He may not be expensive to acquire. 

Posted
On 10/8/2026 at 5:08 AM, stringer bell said:

Who isn't miffed to see other teams seemingly running at will against the Twins? 

While the Twins are tied for 3rd most steals-against in the majors, no team has even as many as a stolen base per game against them these days.  Their caught stealing percentage is low, but even that means that the number of attempts against them isn't very high, fewer than a lot of teams.  This seems like about a third-order effect, compared to much bigger fish to fry.

Posted
9 hours ago, ashbury said:

While the Twins are tied for 3rd most steals-against in the majors, no team has even as many as a stolen base per game against them these days.  Their caught stealing percentage is low, but even that means that the number of attempts against them isn't very high, fewer than a lot of teams.  This seems like about a third-order effect, compared to much bigger fish to fry.

Love the perspective.

162 games - 137 stolen bases - 22 Caught stealing. 159 attempts. Less than one attempt per game. The 14% CS is last and it is awful but only awful to the tune of 27 extra stolen bases from league average. Thats 1 stolen base every 6 games. 

Perspective. Its important. 

Posted

Thanks Cory, great thread! In '19 Twins were deep in catching with Garver, Castro, Jeffers & Rortvedt. Somewhere along the line Twins deemed catching as not important. They let Castro & Swanson (catching coach) go, later in '22, they traded away Garver & Rortvedt & put all their eggs in one basket (Jeffers). Catching have been a concern for me ever since. Shortly there after, I discovered that Jeffers was a Boras client, then I saw the handwriting on the wall & started to look for promising young catchers. I wanted Rortvedt back, Endy Rodriquez was an early favorite, I liked Edgar Quero, Somehow lure Patrick Baily from SF & Gabriel Moreno ARI. I thought Drew Romo & Joey Bart were underrated but had potential, Jefferson Quero & Dalton Rushing were blocked. In the '23 draft I liked Teel & Cole Carrig (I thought he could be someone like Lackey if developed correctly) I thought Ethan Salas would be elite but too young, but early last offseason I put in offer for Salas (when his stock was low) & some good pitching for Ryan; he is turning out pretty good. I always get that good catching is too hard to trade for; it is if you sit back & wait. You have to be proactive. Adley Rutschman was traded to BOS & I was surprised that elite Patrick Bailey was traded cheap, Twins could have been in on them. Some of these catchers are off limits. too expensive or too late to develop (Carrig) now. We could go the cheap route & try to pick up one on the waiver wire. Teel might be off limits but maybe Edgar Quero would be available, a trade for Rushing? Sean Murphy has at least 2 yrs left on his contract. He'll be expensive but IMO, ATL could be motivated to pay down his salary to avoid the luxury tax, These guys could place hold for Lackey until he's ready.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...