• Create Account

Game Thread: Twins @ Cardinals, 8/1/21 @ 1:15PM

image.png.36fcf4bbc7491a06ebe1946ad383719f.png

Good Morning Twins fans and welcome back to more Game Thread banter and fun! We have moved past July and are now entering the hot month of August. The Twins ended July on a high note with a win last night. Hopefully they can start the month with a win this afternoon. Entering August 1st our team is dead last in the Central with a .419 winning percentage...Got to admit I didn't see that coming when we started in April. Oh well, we have each other to entertain us and a bunch of new young talent from the Rays and Blue Jays to watch. 

Speaking of game thread fun, it was suggested in last nights game thread I do a survey on what your favorite beverage is while watching the Twins play. I'll tell you I prefer a nice bourbon poured over one large ice cube during evening games. Afternoon games might be a cold beer or a Tito's and soda with a lime. I have to say my consumption during this putrid season has increased. Funny how that happens...By the way, does anyone want to trade me a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle for a home wrecker (1.75 liter of Windsor Canadian)? PM me if interested!

What's your favorite beverage while watching the Twins play? Go ahead and post your beverage of choice below. Don't be shy! "You do you and we won't judge" (stole the Tito's slogan).

Go Twins!!

This afternoon's lineups:

TWINS:

1. Max Kepler, CF

2. Brent Rooker, LF

3. Jorge Polanco, 2B

4.  Luis Arraez, 3B

5. Mitch Garver, C

6. Miguel Sano, 1B

7. Trevor Larnach, RF

8. A. Simmons, SS

9. Michael Pineda, P

CARDINALS: (expected lineup, not posted as of 11:30am)

1. D. Carlson, RF

2. P. Goldschmidt, 1B

3. N. Arenado, 3B

4. T. O'Neil, LF

5. Y. Molina, C

6. H. Bader, CF

7. Tommy Edman, 2B

8. Paul Dejong, SS

9. Adam Wainwright, P

Today's weather: 80 degrees and partly cloudy. 

Preferred Beverage while watching the Twins: that's a toughie, but I'll give it a shot. (heh heh)

Weekday afternoons - light beer or vodka slush if its extremely hot

Weekday evenings (depending on the supper menu) beer if we have pizza or I grill burgers, all other menus Irish whiskey (with three ice cubes and two olives) excluding Mondays and Thursdays when I support the Little Woman's dieting efforts and don't drink any alcoholic beverages

Saturday day games - Sprite, or maybe a vodka slush if it's hot and the Little Woman joins me

Saturday evening games - root beer (best beverage for washing down buttered and salted popcorn)

Sunday games - the Little Woman and I split a bottle of wine

Double all quantities when the Twins forget how to play, triple when Baldelli pulls the starter after 4 innings when pitching well and the bullpen comes in and blows the game.

For me, it's most often/always filtered, tap water, room temperature. Yep ... that's how I roll ... 

If I'm eating dinner or lunch while watching the game, a glass of milk. Or maybe an iced tea. Unless my dinner is a smoothie, then I’m drinking that  

On rare occasions I might splurge and make a milkshake of some sort ... or maybe even a root beer float! Yeah, no games special enough this year for that splurge ... plus, I don't usually keep pop around because I don't really like carbonated beverages, except for that noted exception.

My favorite beverage, whether for game watching or not, is Sticker Fight double IPA, brewed by Steel Toe Brewing, St. Louis Park, MN. Of course, that doesn't mean I drink it to the exclusion of everything else. For example, a glass of orange juice (not from concentrate) is as necessary for me first thing in the morning as coffee is for a large swath of the population.

Let's start the week off on a positive note.  The heat, the already long season, and the frustrations rear their ugly heads.

I want to take a chill pill and enjoy the company of my fellow posters.  So, I'm going to try and check my ego, keep and open mind and leave personality differences along the side of the road.  Now if the Twins contribute with a win, then so be it.  It would only make things sweeter.

I'm heading to my buddy's 45 wedding anniversary party at Lord Fletchers on Lake Minnetonka. Will listen to the ball game on the radio and maybe have a Tito and soda or two while watching the boats go by. Will try to post pics from the bar!

Go Twins!

Just now, twinssporto said:

I'm heading to my buddy's 45 wedding anniversary party at Lord Fletchers on Lake Minnetonka. Will listen to the ball game on the radio and maybe have a Tito and soda or two while watching the boats go by. Will try to post pics from the bar!

Go Twins!

Give my best to the couple!

Sano really hitting the ball well lately.

Larnach on the other hand is in the midst of a 1.5 month long slump and I can't think of an MLB outfielder that's looked worse during that timeframe. Let's hope he just makes contact and gets a run home here.

1 minute ago, bighat said:

Larnach on the other hand is in the midst of a 1.5 month long slump and I can't think of an MLB outfielder that's looked worse during that timeframe. Let's hope he just makes contact and gets a run home here.

Nope, struck out. The guy is just absolutely lost. If there's one more move the Twins can make right now, it's sending Larnach down to AAA before he loses all confidence.

1 minute ago, sampleSizeOfOne said:

Tie game after 3, eh?

And Berrios has 6 shut out innings.

Gonna take some used to getting...

just remember, ballplayers are mercenaries for the most part.

Thankfully we are not in the NL. Pinch hitting for the pitcher in the 5th? Of course it didn't work out and now we get to watch the bullpen pitch the rest of the game. I don't think I could watch a whole season of Baldelli doing this....

Featured Video