Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Park vs. Desmond- Another case of misdirected FA $$$

jokin

Old-Timey Member

After last night's game ugly loss- rather than seek out a Primal Scream Therapy group,  I think it's time for another well-reasoned rant.

In another sad ironic twist in this Season of Twins Fans' Discontent Disgust- the brutallly-struggling-at-rookie-Aaron-Hicks-levels-of-futility, Byung-Ho Park, is mercifully dispatched, or maybe, Deep-Sixed, to the minors in AAA, sinking to a level that may be more commensurate with his maxed-out ability, or maybe not (if he's to ever be a MLB hitter, he needs to be seeing more FBs, not more AAA junk).

Want to continue the irony? Park turns 30 on July 10. Fellow off-season FA acquisition target hits town the same day that Park is dispatched, in one Ian Desmond, who is also currently 30 years of age. The guy we got is no more (at least for now)... the guy we should have gotten just handed us our lunch in extra innings.

Even before Free Agency formally kicked off in the previous offseason-  think around this time one year ago- myself, along with other posters, suggested that the time and conditions were right to aggressively pursue a buy-low FA signing in the form of Ian Desmond. Desmond had a horrible first half in 2015- .580 OPS, only to recover nicely and suggest he wasn't washed up in the second half of 2015 with an OPS of .777 (Desmond's career OPS is .750) .

Desmond and his agent ultimately signed with the Rangers on a one-year deal worth $8M. Apparently, Desmond was more than willing to gamble on himself in restoring value and possibly re-enter the FA market in 2017 in a better position to consider multiple, multi-year offers. Also apparent, the lack of solid offers from the rest of the League meant they were largely uncertain which Ian Desmond was the player going forward- Decline-Phase First Half Desmond or Fluke-Filled Second Half Desmond? Gotta like a guy highly incentivized and willing to go all-in on a full-fledged Me-Against-The-World attitude to prove himself worthy, right?

In more irony, he ultimately considered the Rangers deal, as his best option, with the apparent implicit understanding that he wouldn't be the first choice at the premier defensive position, the position he'd played all his life, Shortstop. Talk about a guy very amenable at gladly doing what's best for his employer...! even if it carried grave unknowns, such as potentially diminishing his perceived image as one of MLB's top shortstops, and the distinct possibility at failing in an unfamiliar, but still critically important defensive position, CF. So let's not hear any talk of a player not willing to come to Minnesota.

Clearly based on the 2016 results thus far, Ian Desmond is a guy who was ready to meet the self-imposed challenge, and exceed all expectations, in his campaign to return to blue chip vet respectability and relevancy.

His batting line after tonight:

.323/.376/.535/(.911)  OPS+ 132 fWAR 4.0

Cost to the Rangers- $8M (over 1 season)

Is there even any point in listing Park's line?

.191/.275/.409/(.684) OPS+ 81 fWAR 0.1

Cost to the Twins- $12 M (over 4 seasons)

Sooo.... the Twins have a four-year commitment of $12M to Park- despite their ugly history of badly mis-assessing East Asia talent translation to MLB. He now occupies a precious roster spot, already over-loaded on the current 40-man with similarly profiling MLB players and MiLB prospects-

* plus Palka is waiting in the wings needing a roster spot,

* a decision will need to made on Walker by end of next year on his 25-man status or lose him to MiLB FA,

* what if Sano can't cut it at 3rd- he needs the DH ABs

* plus signing the aging Park has cost the Twins in losing much younger talent (Arcia, and soon, Vargas), by putting them in position to fail to receive adequate compensation for the MLB potential they both still represent.

Now here's where it gets more damning-

Let's consider that the Twins had followed our recommendation in pursuing and signing Desmond last December. The Rangers ultimately got him for $8M. Assuming Desmond was fine with a one-year deal and playing out of position in the hopes of rebuilding value, why wouldn't he have been very interested in signing with the Twins?- requiring the Twins to overbid- to say, $9.25M for one year.

The Twins do that, and the middle of the IF is now highly solidified. This clears the way to let Sano take 3rd base, and Plouffe traded for one or two proven RPs playing for $1-2M- and/or a current young back-up catcher making the minimum- plus one or two of mid-level prospects. Here's the important financial part- Plouffe's $7.25M is now off the books (with maybe a max of $1-2.5M in contract received back in trade).

It gets better. Signing Desmond last offseason means you just got a guy with a proven track record of playing every day- he's one of baseball's most durable athletes, that means that one, or both, of the Eduardos can be shipped out for prospects. Escobar made $2.15 this year, Nunez made $1.5M. That's 3.65M together. If both players are moved- four Twins league minimum players immediately move up into utility depth roles- if both Eduardo's are moved, D Santana becomes the #1 utility guy, with Beresford as the immediate alternative, plus both Polanco and Vielma (when healthy) waiting in the wings to seize the opportunity. The financial savings on shedding these three vets are anywhere from $8.75 to $10.9M in moving some combination of Plouffe/Escobar/Nunez.

It's difficult to say for certain, but there's a fighting chance that after all of these logical moves, the Twins would have:

* bolstered the MI with one of baseball's steady shortstops 

* improved the offense with Desmond's proven superior bat @ the position

* added the winning leadership presence of a veteran that was lost when Hunter retired

* used the excess position players to fill other major areas of need

* signing Desmond for one year gives you other options: such as-

1) flipping him to a contender in exchange for a very decent haul of prospects

2) making a QO at season's end and receiving a 1st round compensatory draft pick

3) offering Desmond an extension if the "fit" is mutually right for both parties

4) easily walking away if Desmond doesn't pan out

* last but not least- by signing Desmond @ $9.25M for 1 year, roster space is cleared in the resultant moves, Sano is playing where he should be, plus it's entirely possible that the net cost in acquisition and trades would be very close to a financial wash.

Conclusion-

Instead of signing a proven vet at a premier position- and only taking on one year's worth of risk @ $8M, the Twins took a much greater gamble on an unproven player of a similar age and playing at a non-premier position- and having this unproven player potentially occupy a roster space for four years- or the Twins eating $12M.. 

One more case where a little more intrepidness, more focusing limited FA dollars on more proven talent plus more forward and creative thinking, would have given Terry Ryan everything he wanted-

* a strong veteran leader- even if his production had been more Hunter-like pedestrian,

* a demonstrably better ballclub roster to start the 2016 season,

* more roster flexibility and less blockage of prospects,

* multiple chances for TR to do what he does best w/ the trades- plucking hidden prospect and recyclable talent,

* and , what TR revels in- not financially costing the team any appreciable increase in payroll.

Edited by jokin

I'm on record as not liking the Park contract. Maybe he makes sense for another team, but considering what the Twins roster looked like before Park, I can't see how he makes sense for the Twins. If we were going shopping in South Korea I would have suggested a reliever instead.

I don't get bothered by the moves that other teams make, or by the free agents that the Twins don't sign.

Well put. And I don't consider it hindsight for this reason. Your thoughts include a plan for after the signing of Desmond. After Ryan "won" the bid on Park, that was it. No plan. No dominoes fell. Simple. We just move Sano to RF, where Hunter did us a huge favor by retiring. So we have a spot where no one is standing that needs filling. Problem solved. That's the difference between your plan and Ryans lack thereof. Whether it was Park or Desmond, there had to be further actions to meld it all together.

Funny, the offseason plan forum is rather empty.

Park wasn't really in my plans b/c I didn't realize he was available so to speak.  Truthfully though, I'm not going to castigate a team for taking a gamble to add potentially difference making talent.  Those are the types of moves I'd like them to make.  What I'm not thrilled about is the stubborn insistence to leave a guy like Park up longer than necessary and letting him to continue his futility at the MLB level while DFAing Arcia (I think we agree there). 

As for Park, I think AAA can do him some good.  He may need to see major league pitches, but just like any other guy who hasn't played at this level, it might behoove him to work on hitting AAA pitching, as I assume he can learn a lot there too.  AAA exists for a reason, and that "AAA junk" is still likely superior to what he saw in Korea.  It doesn't hurt to give him a few months of development time.

Well, Desmond's K rate jumped through the roof over the past couple years.  So I can see why the Twins, and many other MLB teams would pass.  He's having a very nice turn-around this year at a different position.  Congrats!

Arcia is also having a nice bounce-back with the Rays. 

Park:  pretty sure everyone knew that he wouldn't have early success.  We just didn't know how bad it would get.  AAA is the right place.  And like diehardtwinsfan said, AAA here is still better that what he saw in Korea.  **** happens...

Verified Member

Regardless of the ultimate result, restructuring 1/4th of the roster to accommodate a somewhat pedestrian veteran shortstop on half-a-year turnaround, seems pretty shortsighted.  I'm on board with the no-such-thing as a bad 1 year deal though.  And I'm not sure Park won't eventually be an asset.  I'm guessing we could trade him to Anaheim or Seattle today.

Old-Timey Member

I wanted Desmond signed, along with several others I believe Thylos was one as well.

I didnt want him for the OF of course, but as an upgrade at SS. He was the perfect bounce back candidate and would have been great on a 3 year deal.

The Park deal of course made no sense at the time, and even less sense now.

Unfortunately this team would still be about 20 games below .500 at this point anyways, since the twins have refused to actually look for front end rotation guys (I wanted them to trade for Hamels last year, or sign Cueto this year) and refused to fix the bullpen.

Old-Timey Member

Regardless of the ultimate result, restructuring 1/4th of the roster to accommodate a somewhat pedestrian veteran shortstop on half-a-year turnaround, seems pretty shortsighted. I'm on board with the no-such-thing as a bad 1 year deal though. And I'm not sure Park won't eventually be an asset. I'm guessing we could trade him to Anaheim or Seattle today.

Why on earth would Seattle want him!?!? Where would he play?

I was saying in the offseason if Desmond needed a multi-year deal, it wasn't going to happen with the Twins. But if he wanted a 1 year prove it deal, bring him in to talk.

I probably would have been hesitant to give up the 1st round pick to sign him... Also, who knows if his production is circumstance of being in a loaded Rangers lineup, or if he'd be hitting this good in any lineup.

Old-Timey Member

I was saying in the offseason if Desmond needed a multi-year deal, it wasn't going to happen with the Twins. But if he wanted a 1 year prove it deal, bring him in to talk.

I probably would have been hesitant to give up the 1st round pick to sign him... Also, who knows if his production is circumstance of being in a loaded Rangers lineup, or if he'd be hitting this good in any lineup.

They would have gotten the pick back the following year anyways.

Old-Timey Member

I will never fault TR for the Park signing and I hope he or whoever is in charge when the next big Korean is ready to make the jump, pulls the trigger on that guy again.

Also, 3.5 years left on the deal, still plenty of time to turn into an asset.

Off course, assuming that Desmond was signed with the resulting player dominoes traded away, the net payroll is close to wash, leaving payroll room for Ryan/Next GM/Captain Ahab to pursue that next mysterious white whale.

He has an OPS 200 points higher in Texas, that might help.  Either way, this is a guy that was on a three year trend downward and never much to write home about defensively.  I'm glad we didn't invest in that.  I hope we never consider that a thing we should do.

Community Moderator

Texas is one of the most hitter friendly park in the league and through no surprise, let's look at his splits.

Home: .378/.412/.603    BABIP: .451

Away: .269/.343/.469     BABIP: .333

He is having a great year and great gamble for the Rangers, but his batting average is very BABIP fueled and he is hitting MUCH BETTER at home.  

Losing a pick on and paying a 30 year old SS $8M coming off the worst season of his career at a position where they had Escobar seems like exactly the opposite of what the Twins should have done this past offseason.  I also remember some clamoring for the Twins to sign Starlin Castro, how would that have turned out?

Provisional Member

Desmond was a bat first shortstop who couldn't get on base anymore. That wasn't really a big need for the Twin's in the offseason. The main problem as I see it is that you're just not going to make the playoffs with the Twin's pitching staff. I doubt he would of had the same success with the Twin's anyways. A lot of guys on the Rangers are having really good years.

Edited by dgwills

Old-Timey Member

20/20 hindsight is always so clear. Great example for those complaining about infielders in the outfield.

Did you actually read the post???... . Nothing posted required 20/20 hindsight. It was noted that some of us are on record for pursuing Desmond a year ago- when he most definitely appeared to be "Decline Phase" Desmond.  And again in the Free Agency period before Park was signed. That's why I noted Desmond was a "buy-low" bounce back FA- who, as it turned out, also filled the criteria in my original recommendation of a year ago as well as last December- to be signed by Ryan only in the event that Desmond was interested in a one-year contract. The possibility and contingencies were plainly allowed for in the body of the article for the risk involved here.

Old-Timey Member

He has an OPS 200 points higher in Texas, that might help.  Either way, this is a guy that was on a three year trend downward and never much to write home about defensively.  I'm glad we didn't invest in that.  I hope we never consider that a thing we should do.

I'd rather sign proven 30 year old guys that solidify us at premium positions of need on incentivized one-year deals that help clearing up a backlog of redundant or replaceable expensive veterans...

and fervently hope we don't invest in more unproven 30 year olds from a league that has proven difficult to properly translate to the Majors and that only adds to the backlog and redundancies inherent in the already-existing roster. 

Did you actually read the post???... . Nothing posted required 20/20 hindsight. It was noted that some of us are on record for pursuing Desmond a year ago- when he most definitely appeared to be "Decline Phase" Desmond.  And again in the Free Agency period before Park was signed. That's why I noted Desmond was a "buy-low" bounce back FA- who, as it turned out, also filled the criteria in my original recommendation of a year ago as well as last December- to be signed by Ryan only in the event that Desmond was interested in a one-year contract. The possibility and contingencies were plainly allowed for in the body of the article for the risk involved here.

At the price of a first round draft pick Desmond was not a buy low candidate. Atlanta has paid  4 million for a late second round pick,   If it was at the expense of  10th round pick you could be correct it was a buy low case.  I notice the article was not that the Twins should have signed Austin Jackson. Why? 20/20 hindsight

If it doesn't do any good, then why send anybody down to AAA to work on their hitting? 

After initially surprising us with hot hitting in April, Park did what most of us expected him to do - he started to struggle with the enhanced difference between MLB fastballs and off-speed stuff. Since that time he has fallen into the worst kind of plan - trying not to guess, just reacting. That puts him into timing no-man's land, where he's late on heaters and too quick on off-speed. 

Truth is, MLB hitters sell out pretty much on every pitch. The art of hitting appears to be a kind of poker game, where you have to make a call before each pitch what you think that pitch is going to be, location, speed and spin. When you combine that with really good recognition of any physical cues you can gather, a really good hitter is right about half the time, allowing him to mash the ball as if he knew beforehand where it was going to be. 

If you don't play this game of poker, you wind up looking like Byung Ho Park - like you have no idea what's coming, and are trying to react to complete randomness. Of course, the distribution of pitches is never random. It depends on what the pitcher throws best, the catcher's call, etc. It could take Park quite a while to evaluate how pitchers are attacking him and come up with a better predictive game. The best place to do that is AAA, where pitchers are a bit more predictable, and the pressure is much lower. 

I can't prove this but I would wager that if the Twins had signed Desmond he would not be doing as well for us.  One issue could be the home ballpark - but a larger one is that the Texas manager Bannister had watched him play from his time in the National League and liked his attitude and wanted him on the team. Bannister is instilling confidence in him plus the Rangers are a good team group of ball players meaning the clubhouse is good and they accepted him right away as he fit in. I live in Arlington so I have seen this commented on by the local media. How much difference can that make I am not sure and maybe Desmond will come back to his norms in the 2nd half.     I don't have a comment on the Twins manager or clubhouse but we are doing much less with the talent we have. 

Verified Member

Yep, and I noted that in the article.

And.. there are people really anointing Kiriloff as the heir apparent Twins' Savior already, really?

Well, think of it a bit differently though. Sure, a very good case could be made (and was, so congratulations) that signing Desmond, was worth the cost. Let's ignore that an adequate case could be made for NOT signing him. We don't know the answer to the question of whether it was a good non-decision or not, but of course that's not going to staunch the criticism of the FO for NOT signing Desmond and for also simply assuming he would have signed with the Twins. We'll eventually see if Kiriloff swings the outcome of the non-decision about Desmond in favor or against you. I'd be disinclined towards anointing you or Kiriloff as  a respective savant or savior.

It's the Park complaints that sort of baffle me. Putting a bid in on a guy like Park is precisely the sort of thing we, including you, have criticized the Twins for avoiding in the past. So, when people try to characterize the winning bid for Park as if it were a conscious decision to, for example, sign Park and pass on Desmond? I'd say that's erroneous at best and disingenuous at worst.

Edited by birdwatcher

I'd rather sign proven 30 year old guys that solidify us at premium positions of need on incentivized one-year deals that help clearing up a backlog of redundant or replaceable expensive veterans...

and fervently hope we don't invest in more unproven 30 year olds from a league that has proven difficult to properly translate to the Majors and that only adds to the backlog and redundancies inherent in the already-existing roster. 

They aren't mutually exclusive.  You can not do both.  30 year old NL guys with 3 steady years of decline and sub-par defense are not the profile I ever want to invest in.  Good for Texas, they got lucky.  That's about all you can say.

Not necessarily. Not finding a multi year contract once and losing a large chunk of cash, you can't be certain he would not take an QO. The draft pick would also be at the end of the first round,. The difference in prospect and pool money is quite different

Yep, and I noted that in the article.

And.. there are people really anointing Kiriloff as the heir apparent Twins' Savior already, really?

No one is calling him a savior, as no one should be calling a ss playing CF having a career year a long term savior, either.

I'm really not sure you can assume that.  Desmond's year so far might be on that loaded lineup or the fact he's playing half his games in a bandbox that is Texas. 

I'm sorry, but most of this really is hindsight.  Levi is right.  People would have rightfully castigated the FO for trading off a 1st rounder for this pickup, and I don't think we can assume he'd simply have done as well here.  The FO made  mistakes this offseason... not sure this was one of them.

After last night's game ugly loss- rather than seek out a Primal Scream Therapy group,  I think it's time for another well-reasoned rant.

In another sad ironic twist in this Season of Twins Fans' Discontent Disgust- the brutallly-struggling-at-rookie-Aaron-Hicks-levels-of-futility, Byung-Ho Park, is mercifully dispatched, or maybe, Deep-Sixed, to the minors in AAA, sinking to a level that may be more commensurate with his maxed-out ability, or maybe not (if he's to ever be a MLB hitter, he needs to be seeing more FBs, not more AAA junk).

Want to continue the irony? Park turns 30 on July 10. Fellow off-season FA acquisition target hits town the same day that Park is dispatched, in one Ian Desmond, who is also currently 30 years of age. The guy we got is no more (at least for now)... the guy we should have gotten just handed us our lunch in extra innings.

Even before Free Agency formally kicked off in the previous offseason-  think around this time one year ago- myself, along with other posters, suggested that the time and conditions were right to aggressively pursue a buy-low FA signing in the form of Ian Desmond. Desmond had a horrible first half in 2015- .580 OPS, only to recover nicely and suggest he wasn't washed up in the second half of 2015 with an OPS of .777 (Desmond's career OPS is .750) .

Desmond and his agent ultimately signed with the Rangers on a one-year deal worth $8M. Apparently, Desmond was more than willing to gamble on himself in restoring value and possibly re-enter the FA market in 2017 in a better position to consider multiple, multi-year offers. Also apparent, the lack of solid offers from the rest of the League meant they were largely uncertain which Ian Desmond was the player going forward- Decline-Phase First Half Desmond or Fluke-Filled Second Half Desmond? Gotta like a guy highly incentivized and willing to go all-in on a full-fledged Me-Against-The-World attitude to prove himself worthy, right?

In more irony, he ultimately considered the Rangers deal, as his best option, with the apparent implicit understanding that he wouldn't be the first choice at the premier defensive position, the position he'd played all his life, Shortstop. Talk about a guy very amenable at gladly doing what's best for his employer...! even if it carried grave unknowns, such as potentially diminishing his perceived image as one of MLB's top shortstops, and the distinct possibility at failing in an unfamiliar, but still critically important defensive position, CF. So let's not hear any talk of a player not willing to come to Minnesota.

Clearly based on the 2016 results thus far, Ian Desmond is a guy who was ready to meet the self-imposed challenge, and exceed all expectations, in his campaign to return to blue chip vet respectability and relevancy.

His batting line after tonight:

.323/.376/.535/(.911)  OPS+ 132 fWAR 4.0

Cost to the Rangers- $8M (over 1 season)

Is there even any point in listing Park's line?

.191/.275/.409/(.684) OPS+ 81 fWAR 0.1

Cost to the Twins- $12 M (over 4 seasons)

Sooo.... the Twins have a four-year commitment of $12M to Park- despite their ugly history of badly mis-assessing East Asia talent translation to MLB. He now occupies a precious roster spot, already over-loaded on the current 40-man with similarly profiling MLB players and MiLB prospects-

* plus Palka is waiting in the wings needing a roster spot,

* a decision will need to made on Walker by end of next year on his 25-man status or lose him to MiLB FA,

* what if Sano can't cut it at 3rd- he needs the DH ABs

* plus signing the aging Park has cost the Twins in losing much younger talent (Arcia, and soon, Vargas), by putting them in position to fail to receive adequate compensation for the MLB potential they both still represent.

Now here's where it gets more damning-

Let's consider that the Twins had followed our recommendation in pursuing and signing Desmond last December. The Rangers ultimately got him for $8M. Assuming Desmond was fine with a one-year deal and playing out of position in the hopes of rebuilding value, why wouldn't he have been very interested in signing with the Twins?- requiring the Twins to overbid- to say, $9.25M for one year.

The Twins do that, and the middle of the IF is now highly solidified. This clears the way to let Sano take 3rd base, and Plouffe traded for one or two proven RPs playing for $1-2M- and/or a current young back-up catcher making the minimum- plus one or two of mid-level prospects. Here's the important financial part- Plouffe's $7.25M is now off the books (with maybe a max of $1-2.5M in contract received back in trade).

It gets better. Signing Desmond last offseason means you just got a guy with a proven track record of playing every day- he's one of baseball's most durable athletes, that means that one, or both, of the Eduardos can be shipped out for prospects. Escobar made $2.15 this year, Nunez made $1.5M. That's 3.65M together. If both players are moved- four Twins league minimum players immediately move up into utility depth roles- if both Eduardo's are moved, D Santana becomes the #1 utility guy, with Beresford as the immediate alternative, plus both Polanco and Vielma (when healthy) waiting in the wings to seize the opportunity. The financial savings on shedding these three vets are anywhere from $8.75 to $10.9M in moving some combination of Plouffe/Escobar/Nunez.

It's difficult to say for certain, but there's a fighting chance that after all of these logical moves, the Twins would have:

* bolstered the MI with one of baseball's steady shortstops 

* improved the offense with Desmond's proven superior bat @ the position

* added the winning leadership presence of a veteran that was lost when Hunter retired

* used the excess position players to fill other major areas of need

* signing Desmond for one year gives you other options: such as-

1) flipping him to a contender in exchange for a very decent haul of prospects

2) making a QO at season's end and receiving a 1st round compensatory draft pick

3) offering Desmond an extension if the "fit" is mutually right for both parties

4) easily walking away if Desmond doesn't pan out

* last but not least- by signing Desmond @ $9.25M for 1 year, roster space is cleared in the resultant moves, Sano is playing where he should be, plus it's entirely possible that the net cost in acquisition and trades would be very close to a financial wash.

Conclusion-

Instead of signing a proven vet at a premier position- and only taking on one year's worth of risk @ $8M, the Twins took a much greater gamble on an unproven player of a similar age and playing at a non-premier position- and having this unproven player potentially occupy a roster space for four years- or the Twins eating $12M.. 

One more case where a little more intrepidness, more focusing limited FA dollars on more proven talent plus more forward and creative thinking, would have given Terry Ryan everything he wanted-

* a strong veteran leader- even if his production had been more Hunter-like pedestrian,

* a demonstrably better ballclub roster to start the 2016 season,

* more roster flexibility and less blockage of prospects,

* multiple chances for TR to do what he does best w/ the trades- plucking hidden prospect and recyclable talent,

* and , what TR revels in- not financially costing the team any appreciable increase in payroll.

I have to pick at a few things. It seems like we're on the same page, meaning we both agree the Twins viewed this season as a step forward rather than the downhill slide it has been. Nobody saw Palka breaking out the way he has, so creating a spot for him on the roster as opposed to him forcing the Twins to make room wasn't likely to happen. I think the duo of Nunez and Escobar was a better choice for a team that saw themselves as contenders. Desmond is having a nice half season but Beresford doesn't belong on a MLB roster, Santana might not either but thats another story. I don't believe whiffing on Nishioka means the team has an ugly history of missing on Asian talent. I'm glad the Twins rolled the dice on Park, there is a ton of baseball talent over there and even if Park is a complete bust, I hope the team continues to try to sign that talent. I also think the contract Park signed isn't going to hamper the Twins. Three million a year for 4 years is nothing in terms of overall payroll. Tommy Milone was tendered 4.5 million, Casey Fien was making just under 3 million, our beloved former closer Jepsen is making 5 million. The Twins had no trouble tossing these guys aside, so they shouldn't have a problem keeping Park at AAA until he adjusts, and if that time never comes, the money shouldn't pose any sort of significant barrier for the team.   

Trading Plouffe would've been nice in the offseason but it just doesn't seem like anybody was willing to give up anything for him. David Freese was the "big name FA 3B,"and all he could muster was a 1 year 3 million dollar deal. I think expectations of what Nunez might net the Twins right now after potentially being the team's ASG rep need to be tempered. He likely wouldn't have brought back much of anything had the team looked to move him in the offseason. Escobar probably had the most value but if you can't move Plouffe, and Nunez is bringing back a marginal prospect at best, then it becomes Eddy's 2 million vs. Desmond's 8-10 million. That is without taking in consideration at that point their careers they were trending in very opposite directions. The Arcia thread blew up so I won't really dive into that here but I will say Park wasn't the reason the team gave up on him. 

I think the scenario you proposed is a plausible one. It just has a lot of moving parts and I'm not sure all of them could have been worked out. Really, it boils down to the fact I was glad to see the team take a risk and sign Park. It was completely opposite of what we've seen from the FO and I viewed it as a step in the right direction. I'm hopeful they continue to make aggressive moves like the signing, yet I'm quite fearful that a SSS of failure in that department may deter them from striking out of their comfort zone again.