Jump to content
Sorry for the server instability, we're seeing some growing pains while migrating to a new platform. We will resolve this as soon as possible, thank you for your patience. ×
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

The Twins Can NOT Trade Royce Lewis!


mudcat14
 Share

No way.  No how.  No matter the potential return.  Regardless of his current knee status, he has all of the physical tools and proved in his limited AAA/MLB 2022 AB's that he is the type elite talent that contending teams need to retain.  At the end of 2019 questions regarding his swing and defensive reliability at SS began to surface.  Then between the pandemic and his 1st ACL procedure, he went two entire season's without playing in a single game.  The adjustments he made during that hiatus were enough to convince me that he has the head, heart and desire to be an All-Star at whichever position we need him to play.

 

I'll be outraged if the move him in any deal.       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

1st of all his trade value is super low. In the too short of time, Lewis showed us a glimpse of his potential in offense, defense & base running skills; real MVP material. But besides his impressive tangible qualities, his intangibles is what sets him apart. His character which is immense, the ability to go thru adversity w/ a smile; his determination, when he has a goal he never gives up; his flexibility, which makes him very easy to coach & to get along with everybody; he has great baseball sense (something that the scouts ranked very high about Lewis); Lewis is a leader both on the field & in the clubhouse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, mudcat14 said:

No way.  No how.  No matter the potential return.  Regardless of his current knee status, he has all of the physical tools and proved in his limited AAA/MLB 2022 AB's that he is the type elite talent that contending teams need to retain.  At the end of 2019 questions regarding his swing and defensive reliability at SS began to surface.  Then between the pandemic and his 1st ACL procedure, he went two entire season's without playing in a single game.  The adjustments he made during that hiatus were enough to convince me that he has the head, heart and desire to be an All-Star at whichever position we need him to play.

 

I'll be outraged if the move him in any deal.       

i don't know.  He's had two acl surgeries back to back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Twins have an abundance of very good infield prospects while the amount of top starting pitching prospects is lower than preferred.   I like Lewis for all the reasons already stated, but the Twins should consider good offers of pitching for infield prospects and/or left handed outfielders.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

I think the hype, and in turn the expectations, for some of these guys gets a little out of control.

Its highly probable that Lewis isn’t going to be a superstar.  He had a chance to be a good player.  But, he’s not going hit consistently like we saw in his small sample in the majors last year.

You can’t trade him because you’d be selling too low.  Not because we’re treading a potential MVP caliber guy.  If the right offer came along, I’d do it in a heartbeat.  The guy hasn’t been able to stay in the field and doesn’t have a home at SS anymore.  His bat plays less in the OF than at SS.  If you can get a big pitcher in return…..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may be the biggest Royce Lewis supporter not related to him, so take this as you will. I think every player is tradeable in the right deal, but you better be talking about an Alcantara type return if you're talking about trading Lewis. Legit ace pitcher in his mid-20s with 5 years of control left. Beyond that there's not many deals I'd be happy trading Lewis in. I think he's a star as soon as he steps back on the field (I was calling for him to start last year in the bigs so this isn't new for me) and will be as valuable to the Twins in 2024 as either Buxton or Correa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I may be the biggest Royce Lewis supported not related to him, so take this as you will. I think every player is tradeable in the right deal, but you better be talking about an Alcantara type return if you're talking about trading Lewis. Legit ace pitcher in his mid-20s with 5 years of control left. Beyond that there's not many deals I'd be happy trading Lewis in. I think he's a star as soon as he steps back on the field (I was calling for him to start last year in the bigs so this isn't new for me) and will be as valuable to the Twins in 2024 as either Buxton or Correa. 

... if he is able to stay healthy. We have to add that to Lewis, Buxton, Correa, Kirilloff, etc. I'm big on Royce as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lewis is very athletic & quick to learn. So he can excel in any position they put him in. Coming thru the minors, I thought he'd make it in MLB as a CFer, Not only because of his ability but because he was being mentored by Tori Hunter (one of the best). But because of his ACL accident, I had a gut feeling that was the end of his OF days. His accident in CF was no fluke accident as some say. Lewis reinjured his knee by running full blast, leaping high to catch the ball and coming down on that leg at an angle (a play that a good OFer makes constantly). Some say OF isn't that much more dangerous than the INF and I wouldn't contest that statement if the person in view had perfectly good knees.

Lewis is invaluable to this team in which we can't afford to lose him via trade or injury.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, between Lewis and Brooks Lee we should trade one of them.  We NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED a true #1 ace starting pitcher more than we need BOTH of these two.  Especially after resigning Correa.  Correa is at SS, Miranda and 3rd, Lewis/Lee at Second, Kiriloff at 1st, Buxton in CF, Gallo, and Larnach at the corners.  Trading Lee or Lewis for a controllable ace puts this team with that lineup in contention.  Without a true #1 starting pitcher, we will NEVER be a serious WS contender.  We will never sign a legit #1.  This is the only way to do it for this organization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

Did anyone here watch Lewis in his recent MLB network interview? He is basically untouchable in any trade talk. He is already back to playing baseball and ramping up for spring training. He will most likely be on the 26 man roster and retire a long time from now as a lifelong Twin. The only thing bigger than his talent is his personality and humility. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
8 hours ago, SoDakTwinsFan said:

Honestly, between Lewis and Brooks Lee we should trade one of them.  We NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED a true #1 ace starting pitcher more than we need BOTH of these two.  Especially after resigning Correa.  Correa is at SS, Miranda and 3rd, Lewis/Lee at Second, Kiriloff at 1st, Buxton in CF, Gallo, and Larnach at the corners.  Trading Lee or Lewis for a controllable ace puts this team with that lineup in contention.  Without a true #1 starting pitcher, we will NEVER be a serious WS contender.  We will never sign a legit #1.  This is the only way to do it for this organization.

We need Lewis and Lee more than any #1 ace they would bring in a trade right now or down the road. (Lee alone wont bring a #1 ace in a trade) the twins have other assets to trade to get great pitching but we are good for now. What the twins really need to do is develop an Ace in their own system.  CP and MR are the two best chances but we need to draft better/more pitching prospects going forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So if the key to getting Trout on the team is Lewis you say no? Alcantarra? Ohtani? Lewis is a potentially good bat corner outfielder now, at least for the Twins. I hope he solidifies Left Field and becomes a star out there, but if someone came knockin with a great offer I'd have to say let's talk...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
14 hours ago, Doctor Gast said:

Lewis is very athletic & quick to learn. So he can excel in any position they put him in. Coming thru the minors, I thought he'd make it in MLB as a CFer, Not only because of his ability but because he was being mentored by Tori Hunter (one of the best). But because of his ACL accident, I had a gut feeling that was the end of his OF days. His accident in CF was no fluke accident as some say. Lewis reinjured his knee by running full blast, leaping high to catch the ball and coming down on that leg at an angle (a play that a good OFer makes constantly). Some say OF isn't that much more dangerous than the INF and I wouldn't contest that statement if the person in view had perfectly good knees.

Lewis is invaluable to this team in which we can't afford to lose him via trade or injury.

Lewis will probs pencil in at 3rd and move Miranda to 1st. Rotate AK at 1st,LF and DH? When can we dump Gallo…. Lol. Seriously. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
9 minutes ago, August J Gloop said:

So if the key to getting Trout on the team is Lewis you say no? Alcantarra? Ohtani? Lewis is a potentially good bat corner outfielder now, at least for the Twins. I hope he solidifies Left Field and becomes a star out there, but if someone came knockin with a great offer I'd have to say let's talk...

Trout is an absolute no. He is close to HOF retired. Ohtani is likely traded to the Padres at the deadline this year and will cost $400M in FA. Alcantarra asking price would probably include either buxton or correa so that wont happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SoDakTwinsFan said:

Honestly, between Lewis and Brooks Lee we should trade one of them.  We NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED a true #1 ace starting pitcher more than we need BOTH of these two. 

The only ways the Twins could trade either of those two for a #1 ace is if said hurler was a high ceiling prospect or a pending FA.  If the Twins want a #1, they must develop him.  More than a generation ago we brought back Blyleven and lured Black Jack Morris home.  Each were beyond their peak years, but enjoyed a brief resurgence leading to championships.  The only two pitchers we have had since that era who could be considered #1 talents were Viola & Santana.  Each were developed internally.         

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, chpettit19 said:

but you better be talking about an Alcantara type return if you're talking about trading Lewis. Legit ace pitcher in his mid-20s with 5 years of control left.

Friend, if I'm looking at only stats & tangibles I'd be willing to trade Lewis for Alcantara. IMO looking at intangibles, I wouldn't trade Lewis for anyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if a front-line ace was available, Lewis would not be enough to get him.  I think the Twins strategy is to develop their own ace or trade for a middle of rotation pitcher (e.g. Mahle, Lopez, etc.) and develop them into aces.  We will not be acquiring an already established ace IMO.

I like Lewis and say we keep him.  As others have stated, his value is low right now.  Let's see what we have when he comes back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Royce Lewis has some real talent and as a #1 overall draft pick, I think the Twins want to see what he can accomplish as a Twin. The Twins are not going to be able to trade for an All Star right handed bat. Lewis may be that guy soon.

The other common thought is that the Twins need an ace. The guys like Corbin Burnes or Sandy Alcantara are just not available. The Twins likely have had many discussions about top pitchers and the only real opportunity was Pablo Lopez, which required quite a sacrifice in parting with Luis Arraez. 

The team looks much more balanced and improved in my opinion with the additions of Vasquez, Correa, and Lopez. Lewis looks like he will be a huge addition as well, hopefully by June or even May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2023 at 4:53 AM, mudcat14 said:

The only ways the Twins could trade either of those two for a #1 ace is if said hurler was a high ceiling prospect or a pending FA.  If the Twins want a #1, they must develop him.  More than a generation ago we brought back Blyleven and lured Black Jack Morris home.  Each were beyond their peak years, but enjoyed a brief resurgence leading to championships.  The only two pitchers we have had since that era who could be considered #1 talents were Viola & Santana.  Each were developed internally.         

Do the Twins have a potential #1 in the system that will help this team in the next 2-3 years?  I don't see it.  Furthermore its been over 10 years since the Twins developed our own #1.  To get something you have to give something.  Our middle infield is stacked with Correa, Lewis, and Brooks.  I'm 100% confident if all three are still on the team in two years they will excel at different positions to make room for them in the lineup.  But IMO, this team is a #1 away from being a true contender.  Without a #1 we are a pretender and always will be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2023 at 11:21 PM, mudcat14 said:

No way.  No how.  No matter the potential return.  Regardless of his current knee status, he has all of the physical tools and proved in his limited AAA/MLB 2022 AB's that he is the type elite talent that contending teams need to retain.  At the end of 2019 questions regarding his swing and defensive reliability at SS began to surface.  Then between the pandemic and his 1st ACL procedure, he went two entire season's without playing in a single game.  The adjustments he made during that hiatus were enough to convince me that he has the head, heart and desire to be an All-Star at whichever position we need him to play.

 

I'll be outraged if the move him in any deal.       

I bet I could find a trade package you would be willing to part with Lewis.  I assume your statement would be based on likely trade packages, but there would be something out there that should sway you.  If not, then I am sure glad you are not the GM.  No player should be untradable for the right deal. What if Padres were offering for Lewis, Soto, Tatis, Machado, Musgrove, and Gore.  Again, this trade would most likely never happen, but you say no matter the potential return.  I sure would make that deal.  What if a deal was for Otani signed long term, and Trout from the angles?  Would you take that deal?  What if Yankees offered Cole and Judge?  Now, I now some will say none of those trades will happen, which is most likely true, but when you say no return is worth it, I will go to extremes too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, MABB1959 said:

Who trades away a first round draft pick without giving him a chance?  If he is healthy time to get him up here to see what he can bring.  Way too many assumptions

The assumptions are on both sides here. I don't think anyone is suggesting to just trade him away for little return. If a team is willing to overpay and hand over an ace pitcher, it's something to consider. Anyone can be traded ... for the right price. I don't think anyone is suggesting he should be shopped, but, if someone came knocking, I'd hear them out. I'm not sure Royce falls into the 'untouchable' category, but the offer had better be outstanding and something they couldn't refuse to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MABB1959 said:

Who trades away a first round draft pick without giving him a chance?  If he is healthy time to get him up here to see what he can bring.  Way too many assumptions

I don't know if this is meant to be a subtle shot at the FO or not, but the Twins traded Chase Petty (first round pick) for Sonny Gray last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...