• Create Account

Is Kirilloff going to get called up?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personaĺy, I have NEVER thought service time was the issue. I have ALWAYS felt the FO was sincere that they believed in him and were honest when they stated they wanted him up for GOOD when ready. Unf

Astudillo played CF a tiny bit in 2018, I think.

Kirilloff and Rooker can hit .150 as well as Sano and Cave, and are more the future of the Twins.

Personaĺy, I have NEVER thought service time was the issue. I have ALWAYS felt the FO was sincere that they believed in him and were honest when they stated they wanted him up for GOOD when ready. Unfortunately, and a major dent in their initial plan, he had a poor ST.

Arraez is, and always has been, despite their original reports, been a part of the LF plan. But the FO has always been planning on AK being part of this season as a corner OF and 1b option. And then be tanked ST. But at this point, with injury and illness, the time is NOW to promote him and let him show if he's ready or not. The offense needs a potential spark. Cave is a solid player but needs a demotion to get himself together, like early 2019, or get passed over and move on.

Kirilloff was SUPPOSED to be ready already. But we all know how best played out plans work. Which means tomorrow. Interesting how AK was brought up instead of an additional pitcher for the recent double header. Just stinks how Rooker and Garlick are both out to provide the best OF options right now. Let's hope Kirilloff is READY and has a chip on his shoulder to prove that he's ready to stick for good!

I don't know how the service time thing works, though. Is Kirilloff going to get called up tomorrow?

Kirilloff needs to spend 21+ days on "optional assignment" this year in order for the Twins to secure an extra year of control. He's very close, at 18 days already. And those days are cumulative, not consecutive -- so when he came up for the doubleheader last week, it just paused the count for a day rather than reset it.

So right now, Friday April 23 is the magic day when they could call him up after securing the extra year of control. If they activated him for the doubleheader today and returned him to the minors after, that magic date would simply be pushed back to Saturday April 24.

I believe Rooker is eligible to come off the 10-day IL at this point. I haven't heard any updates on his status, but if he's ready, I imagine he would be the one to replace Garlick on the active roster since they are both right-handed bats. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Kirilloff come up to replace Cave sometime soon though. The only problem would be losing a bit of defensive versatility, as Cave can play CF (kind of) but Kirilloff cannot.

I believe Rooker is eligible to come off the 10-day IL at this point. I haven't heard any updates on his status, but if he's ready, I imagine he would be the one to replace Garlick on the active roster since they are both right-handed bats. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Kirilloff come up to replace Cave sometime soon though. The only problem would be losing a bit of defensive versatility, as Cave can play CF (kind of) but Kirilloff cannot.

I thought he was reinstated when Garlick went on the covid IL? Could be wrong.

There hasn't been an announcement regarding that. I'm guessing that will be the move, plus at least one more since another player tested positive, that we will learn about in a few hours.

I hope it's not Buxton, but with everything that happens to him ... sigh ... this whole thing is an unfortunate sigh.

I, too, believe that the FO was sincere in leaving Kiriloff off the opening day roster.  Cave/Garlick/Arraez rather than an inexperienced Kiriloff coming off a poor spring made sense.  Remember the rushing of Aaron Hicks and Buxton.     The biggest reason I don't think that service time was a key consideration is that I believe that it is almost certain that this loophole will be closed in the coming CBA.

Personaĺy, I have NEVER thought service time was the issue. I have ALWAYS felt the FO was sincere that they believed in him and were honest when they stated they wanted him up for GOOD when ready. Unfortunately, and a major dent in their initial plan, he had a poor ST.

Arraez is, and always has been, despite their original reports, been a part of the LF plan. But the FO has always been planning on AK being part of this season as a corner OF and 1b option. And then be tanked ST. But at this point, with injury and illness, the time is NOW to promote him and let him show if he's ready or not. The offense needs a potential spark. Cave is a solid player but needs a demotion to get himself together, like early 2019, or get passed over and move on.

Kirilloff was SUPPOSED to be ready already. But we all know how best played out plans work. Which means tomorrow. Interesting how AK was brought up instead of an additional pitcher for the recent double header. Just stinks how Rooker and Garlick are both out to provide the best OF options right now. Let's hope Kirilloff is READY and has a chip on his shoulder to prove that he's ready to stick for good!

As sincere as Falvey was when he stated that service time wasn't a factor in their decision with Buxton a few seasons ago? They didn't have to bring AK up for that double header. Even with Buxton out they still had 4 position players (5 if you count Astudillo) they could put in the OF. They simply were able to use him without affecting his service clock. Cave doesn't look like a major league hitter right now, and look no further than Kyle Garlick to see what a mirage ST is. It's painfully obvious what's happening here. 

Kirilloff needs to spend 21+ days on "optional assignment" this year in order for the Twins to secure an extra year of control. He's very close, at 18 days already. And those days are cumulative, not consecutive -- so when he came up for the doubleheader last week, it just paused the count for a day rather than reset it.

So right now, Friday April 23 is the magic day when they could call him up after securing the extra year of control. If they activated him for the doubleheader today and returned him to the minors after, that magic date would simply be pushed back to Saturday April 24.

This one turned out to be the correct one, I think.

Someone that can hit better than him? Is expecting a red hot Byron Buxton to play 7 games in a row outlandish?

He has not been available to accomplish that feat as yet in 2021.

I don't like to borrow trouble, but catcher, CF and SS are positions where you simply have to have a Plan B at hand on a moment's notice.

He has not been available to accomplish that feat as yet in 2021.

I don't like to borrow trouble, but catcher, CF and SS are positions where you simply have to have a Plan B at hand on a moment's notice.

If they don’t allow him the chance to do so I guess you’re correct. He won’t accomplish that feat. Wouldn’t hurt to try. If a backup CF is needed then substitute Cave for Rooker. He’s not exactly lighting it up either.

If they don’t allow him the chance to do so I guess you’re correct.

He missed three consecutive games before the Oakland series due to a tight hamstring, if I'm remembering correctly. No manager does that on his own, and certainly not on a whim.

He missed three consecutive games before the Oakland series due to a tight hamstring, if I'm remembering correctly. No manager does that on his own, and certainly not on a whim.

I saw in the game thread you missed the game today. Looked good. Strong. Healthy.

Step #1 in achieving the goal of playing 120+ games is, indeed, playing in the most amount of games he’s available.

I will tone down the sarcasm on this post. There are 7 games between now and Kepler and Garlick eligible to come off the 10 day IL. Frankly, I don’t see a reason keeping a struggling Jake Cave on the active roster for the potential of needing him to fill in the rest of a game, or start 1-2 games in that time span.

I don’t want to put it out in the world why we would need him to fill in during a game. After that, the Twins could search the waiver wire for a temporary fill in like they have done in the past. Or call up Celestino for an emergency day or 2 on roster.

The opportunity cost of adding a potentially better bat in Kirilloff far outweighs keeping a capable defensive CF replacement who’s struggling to hit in Jake Cave.

And in regards to Buxton, the team benefits greatly every time he plays. We all want him to play as many games as possible. He should be able to pick up the slack while his other teammates are out of commission.