• Create Account

2021 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker

Two intra-division contenders pull off a trade with each other:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/mariners-trade-kendall-graveman-astros-abraham-toro-joe-smith.html

Mariners send top reliever Kendall Graveman and faltered reliever Rafael Montero to the Astros, in exchange for surplus young third baseman Abraham Toro and old struggling reliever Joe Smith.

Bonus: the Mariners and Astros play each other tonight, so the players involved just have to switch clubhouses! (Same thing happened when the Twins traded both Doug Mientkiewicz and Rick Aguilera, and coincidentally both times Boston was the other team, visiting the Metrodome.)

Catching up on some other trades:

Reds get Luis Cessa and Justin Wilson from Yankees in what amounts to a salary & roster spot dump.

Mariners sneak in and get Tyler Anderson from the Pirates right as the Phillies tried to finalize the deal.

Reds get Mychal Givens from the Rockies... they are serious about fixing their bullpen.

A's get Starling Marte from the Marlins for Jesus Luzardo, which is an intriguing return.

Astros get Yimi Garcia from the Marlins

Brewers get Eddy Escobar from the Diamondbacks, ending their interest in Donaldson, I'd presume.

Escobar to Milwaukee and Gallo to NY cuts off two previously speculated landing spots for Donaldson and Kepler.

There's still other options, and neither NEEDS to be traded, but it certainly doesn't detract from the belief that the Twins asking price is high for their players. Which is fine by me. I don't need to give anyone away at this point.

Ya. Was always going to be difficult to move Donaldson.... Which is good with me, I think. Pineda and Berrios are still in play, I'd think.

Some of the prospects moving are interesting.... But note that no top prospects are.....

4 hours ago, Danchat said:

Catching up on some other trades:

Reds get Luis Cessa and Justin Wilson from Yankees in what amounts to a salary & roster spot dump.

Mariners sneak in and get Tyler Anderson from the Pirates right as the Phillies tried to finalize the deal.

Reds get Mychal Givens from the Rockies... they are serious about fixing their bullpen.

A's get Starling Marte from the Marlins for Jesus Luzardo, which is an intriguing return.

Astros get Yimi Garcia from the Marlins

Brewers get Eddy Escobar from the Diamondbacks, ending their interest in Donaldson, I'd presume.

Escobar does not go by the nickname 'Eddy'.  In following his career since 2011, he goes by 'Scooby' or El de La Pica.

9 hours ago, RickOShea said:

Escobar does not go by the nickname 'Eddy'.  In following his career since 2011, he goes by 'Scooby' or El de La Pica.

Officially he may not, but many called him that here. In 2012-2013, Brad Swanson aka the "Who Framed Kevin Slowey" guy did an article called the "Eddy 400" where he campaigned for Escobar to get 400 ABs. 

5 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

Consolation prize after they lost out on Escobar. 

Super weird to see a trade between the 1st and 2nd place teams in the division.

Dodgers get Royals' Danny Duffy, who's on the IL, for a PTBNL.

The Yankees are getting Anthony Rizzo, a longtime Cub. New York is banking on hitting a billion HRs.

The Mariners, who have been very active, are getting Diego Castillo from the Rays, and handing them former twin JT Chargois and a prospect. Tampa lands yet another Twins pitcher (they've fixed Matt Wisler and claimed Jake Reed), and inexplicably trade their closer away, because of course they did!

45 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

Surprised this blockbuster wasn’t posted yet. 

It wasn't finalized until like 9:30pm our time, I don't think. But yeah, huge deal. The good news is it probably heats the Padres interest up in Berrios. If the Giants make a move, the Padres will be desperate haha.

Wow, the Nationals are getting rid of everybody. And tonite former Twin's farmhand Sam Clay gave up the walk-off grand slam to Brad Miller losing to the Phils 11-8 after being up 7-0. Ouch. Good thing Twins fans haven't experienced anything like that this year . . . cough.

Man, the Twins should be acting like the Nationals.

I'm looking forward to the Twins totally striking out at the trade deadline as no one wants what we have for sale, even in a special blue-lite markdown in the next 24 hours, or a two-for-one special!