Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Call up Arcia?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Provisional Member

Barring injury I would wait until the all start break and then re-evaluate. Let him have some sustained success. Roll with Sano/Rosario/Hunter/Mauer/Plouffe in the next week. 

Yeah, with Plouffe, Sano, Mauer, and Hunter, not sure where he fits, unless Ryan/Molitor are ok with him playing every other day, and pinch hitting against right-handed relievers. I'd be all for that, but I doubt Ryolitor is.

Provisional Member

Rosario is a much better defensive outfielder, and has hit well enough to stay up here.  Sano has been excellent as a DH.  I don't see Arcia being recalled unless one of those two guys stops hitting.

There are only 12 pitchers on the roster.

I think Arcia can help. He can start against a righty for Hunter once a series in attempt to keep Hunter strong throughout year. He can start for Plouffe with Sano at 3B once every couple of series. 

The Twins don't have a threat on the bench with the bat to pinch hit for Suzuki. Arcia's return would give them that option. He might be more useful than Robinson or perhaps Santana.

And Rosario could use more time in AAA, he's a little underwater I think. I know the defense would take a hit but still seems like a worthwhile tradeoff IMO.

I think Rosario's performance this season has been overrated but I don't think you can send him down. There should be room for both of them on this team. 

Community Moderator

If we bring him back up, is he out of options after that? I'd prefer to see him on whatever the date is in order to be added to the playoff roster.

Let Sano get as many at bats as he can at the DH spot.

options are by years, not the number of times up/down in any given year.  They've already used an option on Arcia this year.

If we bring him back up, is he out of options after that? I'd prefer to see him on whatever the date is in order to be added to the playoff roster.

Let Sano get as many at bats as he can at the DH spot.

Common misconception about options is that individual moves use them up. Not so--a player has a limited number of option years, and once an option year is used, can be moved between the majors and minors as many times as desired in that year.

Still, I agree with those saying to give him more time to prove he's found his stroke at AAA. When the time comes, though, DFA Robinson. With Hicks and Rosario on the roster (and maybe Buxton at some point?), you've got enough CF-capable players.

Common misconception about options is that individual moves use them up. Not so--a player has a limited number of option years, and once an option year is used, can be moved between the majors and minors as many times as desired in that year.

Still, I agree with those saying to give him more time to prove he's found his stroke at AAA. When the time comes, though, DFA Robinson. With Hicks and Rosario on the roster (and maybe Buxton at some point?), you've got enough CF-capable players.

Thanks for clearing up the options confusion. Wasn't sure if it counted as 2 options if he was called up and sent down throughout the year.

Plenty of at bats for Arcia and Plouffe. We need them both. We need a bat on the bench to pinch hit and his addition will make that possible.

Arcia can get one start a series for Hunter and at least another start weekly from Mauer, Plouffe, Sano, Hicks or Rosario. His bat will determine if he gets more time. The bench will always be better as a result.

Old-Timey Member

Plenty of at bats for Arcia and Plouffe. We need them both. We need a bat on the bench to pinch hit and his addition will make that possible.

Arcia can get one start a series for Hunter and at least another start weekly from Mauer, Plouffe, Sano, Hicks or Rosario. His bat will determine if he gets more time. The bench will always be better as a result.

Especially true after the defense gets another upgrade with the return of Buxton, and hopefully the bullpen gets its own "fix".  No more 13 man pitching staffs and solid OF defense gives the manager a more L-R lineup flexibility and actually/finally offers legitimate bench options in the late innings.

Who does he replace? 

I would rather have Arcia on the bench than Nunez anywhere on the roster... that being said, yes, Arcia is on fire this month, but it may be best for him to keep mashing for another week or two before getting called up to be a bench bat. 

Arcia has been playing well for 10 games and this means that he needs to be called up to sit on the bench for at least 1/2 of the games?  I will pass for now.

Is he on his last option? If so, it is time to find a role. That role might begin as a platoon player. After that it will be up to him to earn more by his performance.

There should be no guaranteed starting role upon his return. He has to earn it and he has to show it in the majors.

Yes, call him up. 39 year-old Torii Hunter does not need to play every day. Arcia can take a couple starts a week from him. Rosario also does not need to play every day, and can spell Hicks once a week in center. It won't be that hard to get Arcia 3-4 starts a week against RH.

Archived