• Create Account

Game Thread: Twins @ Royals, Friday 6/4/2023, 7:10 PM CDT

Preface:

Astute observers may note the year 2023 in this thread title. I am aware of this, but I'm not correcting it, because the 2021 Twins currently have a 1-0 record when the game thread title contains that typo (coincidentally, the only other game thread started by me). In fact, this may be the very last remaining superstition associated with the Twins winning, after the first two months of the 2021 season have laid waste to so many others. So the typo remains, for now.

Baseball is practically founded upon superstition, of course. Pitchers never step on the baseline on their way to and from the mound, a practice so ingrained in American culture that Stevie Wonder has also never stepped on the bass line while performing his song "Superstition":

The number 13 is very superstitious too. Did you know that Hansel Robles and Gilberto Celestino are the only current Twins players born on the 13th day of a month -- and those were the two players chiefly responsible for Royals scoring the go-ahead run last night? And only two players have ever worn the number 13 for the entirety of their tenure as Twins: Bill Tuttle, who is now dead, and Mike Pagliarulo, who will also die some day. Let that sink in for a moment!

Today's Transactions:

The Twins may be trying a new superstition themselves, as this is the first day in seemingly forever without an official transaction by the club. But, this section of my game thread intro remains, due to further superstition. And with no transactions, today's lineups have been posted astonishingly early (pending any Twins injuries between now and 7:10 PM, of course).

Twins (22-34, 5th place, 12 GB)

Starting pitcher: Matt Shoemaker, RHP, 2-6, 5.90 ERA

Lineup:

1. SS J. Polanco S
2. DH J. Donaldson R
3. RF A. Kirilloff L
4. 3B W. Astudillo R
5. LF T. Larnach L
6. 1B Miguel Sano R
7. 2B Nick Gordon L
8. CF G. Celestino R
9. C Ben Rortvedt L

Royals (28-26, 3rd place, 5 GB)

Starting pitcher: Brad Keller, RHP, 5-4, 5.68 ERA

Lineup:

1. 2B W. Merrifield R
2. 1B C. Santana S
3. LF A. Benintendi L
4. C S. Perez R
5. RF H. Dozier R
6. 3B K. Gutierrez R
7. DH Jorge Soler R
8. CF M. Taylor R
9. SS Nicky Lopez L

2 minutes ago, Taildragger8791 said:

The fact that even in this crap lineup Sano couldn't crack the 3-4-5 spots over two rookies and Astudillo (hitting cleanup!!?) says a lot about how this season is going. Woof.

I read it as the rookies behind him will benefit most from watching him bat.

This bottom third of the line up could surprise people.

11 minutes ago, Taildragger8791 said:

The fact that even in this crap lineup Sano couldn't crack the 3-4-5 spots over two rookies and Astudillo (hitting cleanup!!?) says a lot about how this season is going. Woof.

It's alternating lefty and righty bats, and I'm guessing Astudillo is 4th to try to break up the bigger strikeout hitters a bit. Sano, Larnach, and Kirilloff are the top 3 by K% in this lineup, among guys with a decent number of PAs.

Man, Sesame Street is a fine show!

Does Stevie Wonder really drive a Jazz Mobile?

And seeing The Count and Cookie Monster cooperate to count and eat the cookies is inspiring!

Just wanna test if i got the hang of cuing in the middle of episodes... (for some reason, i seemed to have trouble in previous attempts on message boards)

Did it work?

2 hours ago, spycake said:

Preface:

Astute observers may note the year 2023 in this thread title. I am aware of this, but I'm not correcting it, because the 2021 Twins currently have a 1-0 record when the game thread title contains that typo (coincidentally, the only other game thread started by me). In fact, this may be the very last remaining superstition associated with the Twins winning, after the first two months of the 2021 season have laid waste to so many others. So the typo remains, for now.

Baseball is practically founded upon superstition, of course. Pitchers never step on the baseline on their way to and from the mound, a practice so ingrained in American culture that Stevie Wonder has also never stepped on the bass line while performing his song "Superstition":

The number 13 is very superstitious too. Did you know that Hansel Robles and Gilberto Celestino are the only current Twins players born on the 13th day of a month -- and those were the two players chiefly responsible for Royals scoring the go-ahead run last night? And only two players have ever worn the number 13 for the entirety of their tenure as Twins: Bill Tuttle, who is now dead, and Mike Pagliarulo, who will also die some day. Let that sink in for a moment!

Today's Transactions:

The Twins may be trying a new superstition themselves, as this is the first day in seemingly forever without an official transaction by the club. But, this section of my game thread intro remains, due to further superstition. And with no transactions, today's lineups have been posted astonishingly early (pending any Twins injuries between now and 7:10 PM, of course).

Twins (22-34, 5th place, 12 GB)

Starting pitcher: Matt Shoemaker, RHP, 2-6, 5.90 ERA

Lineup:

1. SS J. Polanco S
2. DH J. Donaldson R
3. RF A. Kirilloff L
4. 3B W. Astudillo R
5. LF T. Larnach L
6. 1B Miguel Sano R
7. 2B Nick Gordon L
8. CF G. Celestino R
9. C Ben Rortvedt L

Royals (28-26, 3rd place, 5 GB)

Starting pitcher: Brad Keller, RHP, 5-4, 5.68 ERA

Lineup:

1. 2B W. Merrifield R
2. 1B C. Santana S
3. LF A. Benintendi L
4. C S. Perez R
5. RF H. Dozier R
6. 3B K. Gutierrez R
7. DH Jorge Soler R
8. CF M. Taylor R
9. SS Nicky Lopez L

I like KC's lineup a helluva lot more than I do the Twins.

Wow! 6 of the Twins in the lineup card weren't even with the team when the season started. And only three are batting .250 or better with the Turtle hitting .277 leading the way.

KC on the other hand has 6 players batting .250 or better and 3 that have over 30 RBIs. The Twins have no one with more than 23 RBIs.

Anybody betting on the Twins?

I like the thread opener theme.  Superstition.  Generally speaking, I think superstition is ridiculous.  Generally speaking regarding sports, I live by it.  I'll grasp onto anything.  My latest example is yellow golf balls.  They flew straighter at the time, so that's all I'm playing right now.  You'll never convince me that the color is irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, wavedog said:

Classic 2021 top half of the first inning for the Twins!  

Astudillo swings at everything near the strikezon, including popping up ball 4 into LF. But he didn't strike out so we love it!

Just now, Matthew Lenz said:

So uhh how do we feel about Astudillo batting fourth??

Great if you're looking for someone with sporadic power and who doesn't strike out or walk.

1 minute ago, Matthew Lenz said:

So uhh how do we feel about Astudillo batting fourth??

I get the why, but I try to stay numb about it because I can't get past how pathetic the lineup is with him there.

I really don't understand why Shoemaker is still on the team. If the Twins are going to waste starts, I'd rather see them going to young guys. The prospects aren't likely to be significantly worse and the organization can start to see which young starters might be able to contribute next season.

3 minutes ago, jandersh said:

I really don't understand why Shoemaker is still on the team. If the Twins are going to waste starts, I'd rather see them going to young guys. The prospects aren't likely to be significantly worse and the organization can start to see which young starters might be able to contribute next season.

Who do you replace him in the rotation with?  He's not pitched well, but what other options do they have?

• Twins Daily Video