Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Heyman: Twins may be early buyers

gunnarthor

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25212612/inside-baseball-mets-twins-among-early-buyers-and-more-mlb-news

Heyman writes that "the Twins will consider a middle-of-the-order bat, preferably one who plays the outfield, in a trade."  Note he said consider so it's not clear how much they want to make a move but it might suggest that Arcia is more on the outs than we want.

Some potential OFers on the market would include  Josh Reddick (1.5 years of team control left), Carlos Gonzalez and Charlie Blackmon are probably both available but not really good from Col, Gomez and Braun in Milwaukee.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25212612/inside-baseball-mets-twins-among-early-buyers-and-more-mlb-news

Heyman writes that "the Twins will consider a middle-of-the-order bat, preferably one who plays the outfield, in a trade."  Note he said consider so it's not clear how much they want to make a move but it might suggest that Arcia is more on the outs than we want.

Some potential OFers on the market would include  Josh Reddick (1.5 years of team control left), Carlos Gonzalez and Charlie Blackmon are probably both available but not really good from Col, Gomez and Braun in Milwaukee.

I would be massively in favor of Reddick.  Give Beane Santana, Vargas, and Arcia and call it a day.

Uggh, DO NOT WANT. This probably also indicates no Buxton anytime soon, because are they really going to sit/send down both Hicks and Rosario? Honestly the positions that need the most upgrade right now are catcher, SS and 1B, not outfield, especially with Buxton and Kepler on the way and Arcia lurking.

I wouldn't buy into this year early at all. What the hell? Tossing prospects or other under-25 guys away for one slugger right now seems a bit silly. Especially when Kurt Suzuki continues to be the Twins catcher.

And the second part about relief help . . . what in the hell? Try out the guys you have before trading away some of them for one dude.

Sounds dubious. No source. Not a peep from anyone local saying it. And it doesn't really make sense if you've been following this team.

Didn't another writer say the Twins should be buyers for a "back of the rotation" starter at the deadline?

This seems about as plausible as that IMO.

They aren't going to find an appreciably better SS or C than the ones they already have in a trade without giving up some real value.  I do think it would make sense to find a league average-ish offensive 1b, which they could probably find for a lot less.  Not sure what you do with Mauer at that point (23MM pinch hitter sounds VERY un-Twins to me.)

They aren't going to find an appreciably better SS or C than the ones they already have in a trade without giving up some real value.  I do think it would make sense to find a league average-ish offensive 1b, which they could probably find for a lot less.  Not sure what you do with Mauer at that point (23MM pinch hitter sounds VERY un-Twins to me.)

Jonathon Lucroy and Troy Tulowitzki

There is no short term or clear long term solution at catcher. Suzuki is performing exactly as they should have expected him to perform when they didn't take what the market would offer. They may need to trade Sano or Berrios to get Lucroy. There is a little more upside at the SS position. I think catcher is the greater need.

There are plenty of possibilities at 1B or corner OF long term within.

I would hate to see them trade for decline phase talent with commitments to next year unless it is an elite level player at their position. The separation between the Twins and the Royals is too great. It can't be closed without getting back very good players.

I think there is a good chance Ryan will make some deals that don't help enough this year and hurt long term. Trading for a guy having a career half year and seeing them regress to their career norms in the second half would hurt this team long term.

Lucroy is struggling in a small sample. They will need to pay big, but it might be buying as low as it will get.

Just about every team is in it so far this year, a team would get fleeced trying to buy someone as the records stand now.

I know I'll get ripped apart for saying it, but if the Twins want to win long term, they should be one of the few sellers, particularly since for the first time in years they might actually have some attractive pieces.

Just about every team is in it so far this year, a team would get fleeced trying to buy someone as the records stand now.

I know I'll get ripped apart for saying it, but if the Twins want to win long term, they should be one of the few sellers, particularly since for the first time in years they might actually have some attractive pieces.

I could get behind this.  Sure does take the romance out of things though.

Provisional Member

The Twins are in an interesting position this year. They're close to contending this year, but I do not think the players needed for the future should not be traded to win this year. 

Of course, if the Twins have truly turned the corner when it comes to pitching and actually have an abundance, then perhaps there is some trade value there. Although, the idea of trading pitching comes with some caution. It's all to easy for pitching to go south in a hurry.

Right now the Twins have too many starters and too many potential starters. They also have names like Baxendale and Wimmers, amongst others, that would be nice if they played themselves in prospects, but.....

If the Twins aren't going to play Pinto, and they have another season of Suzuki, then catcher is one weak position not only in the short-term, but probably the longterm. Too bad the one guy who was giving us decent catching numbers looks like Scott Stahoviak or a weak hitting Mientkiewicz at first base.

We don't need a shortstop. If you must, put Polanco in there early. Gordon is right behind him.

We don't need outfielders, we jsut need them to be hungry enough to produce in the majors. We have Arcia. We have Kepler. We have Walker. We even have names like Ortiz and even Reynaldo Rodriguez (who can't be any worse than Schafer or Robinson and also can play some first).

The Twins have a host of bullpenners to run thru the team. Pull the plug sooner rather than later. We have already blown nearly $5 on two guys (Stauffer and Duensing). We don't need a salary heavy guy. We have Achter, Oliveros, Darnell, and names like Zack Jones, Burdi, Reed not far behind. Why buy some others team hot dog for some worthwhile prospects when we can always advance a Hamburger.

Yes, it would be nice to have that outfielder who could play another position (Cuddyer) and also DH. But we have Hunter, who might be a better DH in the end, and some youngsters to boot. 

Okay, question: who in our top 40 prospects are highly expendable...not finding a place to start let alone play in the organization and still have the potential to possibly be a major league players for another team. Names anyone?

Provisional Member

I love following baseball prospects as much as the next person but the Twins have arguably the deepest farm system in baseball. If they can get a player that will not only help this year but next year go for it.

Jonathon Lucroy and Troy Tulowitzki

Neither team is going to give these players away. You would certainly have to say goodbye to real value, probably a top 5 prospect, to get either of those players, especially Lucroy. Now is not the time. This would be the type of transaction to pursue to try to top off a team that is already a strong contender.

I'm going to make a guess that in two weeks it will be apparent that the Twins will benefit far more from selling than buying. And I'll guess further that a trade will happen in about three weeks that will help solve our oversupply of starting pitchers.

Why not?

Blackmon is a career .756 OPS, 3.1 career WAR outfielder with only 3.5 years of control left. And Miguel Sano is Miguel Sano, with 6+ years of control left. Even if you think pretty lowly of Sano, which I don't, you could still get a lot more for him than that in a trade.

Archived