tony&rodney
Old-Timey Member-
Posts
10,385 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
88
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by tony&rodney
-
Oh I think the Twins would add a pitcher like Marco Raya/ David Festa as well as players like Noah Miller and Tanner Schobel to add to something like Wallner and Polanco. The names can be different, less or more. It is really all about whether Seattle feels the Twins actually have the players in their system that are worthwhile to pursue while offering one of their guys. Once a discussion starts, many names can be thrown around.
- 88 replies
-
- sonny gray
- joey gallo
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Seems like a fair idea with an outline that supports your plan. I'm thinking both Farmer and Solano could be moved to return useful players that help the Twins this year as well. I'm not in favor of Renfroe however.
- 14 replies
-
- 2023 trade deadline
- hunter renfroe
- (and 3 more)
-
Trades cannot happen without conversations. Right? Names like Larnach, Wallner, Lewis, and various others may be of interest to Seattle. They lost a tough 18 inning playoff game last year by a 1-0 score. They want to get back to the postseason. Their fan base is outstanding. Seattle has a bunch of good pitchers and need hitting. Their minor leagues are not showing anyone likely/ expected to contribute in any major way in a few years. It does make sense for Seattle to see what is out there in exchange for one of their young guys on the mound. St. Louis has a couple of players of note but both have had their struggles. Tyler O'Neill has 1+ years before free agency and Dylan Carlson has three years left of control. Meanwhile Gilbert has four years left and the other Seattle pitchers still have six years of control. I think the Mariners would be more interested in some equal exchange of value in years as well as player talent. The Cardinals are not listening on Jordan Walker. Maybe the Twins can find an exchange, maybe not.
- 88 replies
-
- sonny gray
- joey gallo
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Rumor: Dodgers Dealing for a Couple of White Sox
tony&rodney replied to Seth Stohs's topic in Other Baseball
The Dodgers keep winning, even in a year where they suffer injuries and lackluster performances from some players.- 4 replies
-
- 2023 trade deadline
- lance lynn
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
They have both been very good at every level. They both have good eyes at the plate and can run. They both look/are awkward in the field, although they each make most of the plays. Teams have not run on Wallner and third base coaches are well aware of his arm even if his release is a tad slow. I'll double down - Why don't people believe in Wallner and Julien?
- 88 replies
-
- sonny gray
- joey gallo
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Seattle has a strong core of Castillo, Gilbert, Kirby, Miller, and Woo with a few veterans on contracts as well as a couple of ready arms (led by Emerson Hancock) in the minors waiting for an opportunity. The Mariners need bats. It would take quite a haul to pry away Gilbert, Kirby, or Miller. Miami faced a similar predicament last winter when the Lopez-Arraez trade was discussed and then completed. It is possible.
- 88 replies
-
- sonny gray
- joey gallo
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I wonder about that too. I'm not sure what younger pitcher the Twins would offer as a first piece. Hard to know what Preller thinks. Heck, I have no idea what Falvey thinks for that matter.
- 83 replies
-
- trevor larnach
- matt wallner
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
This is my thinking too - Lewis over Wallner all day. Yet, pitching is always the name of the game and I'm real tempted by Logan Gilbert and perhaps Royce Lewis is the fair price. Nah, we better keep Royce because we hope he becomes a star. See if Seattle would have other interests from the Twins roster (Wallner + Polanco?). I do think San Diego will trade for fair offers. I just don't know what that looks like.
- 88 replies
-
- sonny gray
- joey gallo
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
What about Larnach and either Sands or Winder for Hader?
- 83 replies
-
- trevor larnach
- matt wallner
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
These two are worth a phone call. The main issue is that the Cardinals are only really interested in pitching and preferably pitchers with a number of years of control. Do they see Varland, Festa, or SWR as a fair return? I might agree with trading two of those pitchers for one of the St. Louis outfielders but have no idea what their GM wants in return.
- 83 replies
-
- trevor larnach
- matt wallner
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Kepler has had more than a few rough patches. I just don't see any team giving up someone worthwhile for Max. Despite all frustrations for Kepler's game, he is still a very good outfielder and base runner who can also cause damage with his bat. If Kepler had enough value to another team he would have been traded. Finally, I had commented a number of times in the past that Kepler had seemed unhappy and even morose as he moved through the year. This is certainly unquantifiable. Yet, we have seen more emotion and smiles from Max since the All Star break than in the last couple of years. I guess he needs some love or a reason to focus? I don't think Kepler is going away, so you will need to learn to love him.
- 88 replies
-
- sonny gray
- joey gallo
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I believe that Seattle might be an interesting match. It really depends on how the Mariners view the Twins players. Any one of Gilbert, Kirby, or Miller would be massive additions and Brash is a guy who would really be a fine addition as well. Generally, my preference in position players includes guys who are smooth and athletic. Witness Tony Oliva and Rod Carew as opposed to Harmon Killebrew. although I always had great respect for HK and his value. Still, I see Julien and Wallner as players who possess some rare hitting talent and have room for improvement. I also believe that each can become average with the glove although they may never be aesthetic looking in the field. If the Twins believe in those two, there are others available to trade (Lewis, Larnach, more). I see San Diego and Seattle as possible positive partners for trades, but am still believing that the Twins will sit it out.
- 88 replies
-
- sonny gray
- joey gallo
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Rambling. Farmer does have another year of control. The Twins should be looking to see what team is interested in Farmer though. Taylor is a better defender by quite a bit than Castro but your point is valid. Castro has real value to the Twins now and next year too. He is a little stretched as a regular. I think he would be best 4-5 times per week. While i did not think Brooks Lee would be in the picture until later in 2024, he has looked more in control of everything in the last month and i expect him to open next year with the Twins. Does this make Royce Lewis or Eddie Julien available? I don't know about that, but there may be a mutually beneficial market out there. I remain a big fan of Julien since last year. The return for either Kepler or Polanco versus their potential value in a Twins jersey doesn't seem to warrant a trade.
- 88 replies
-
- sonny gray
- joey gallo
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
The Twins have players to trade if they can get a handle on the long term approach of the team. The pitching has been improved and part of that is due to trades. There may be another risky trade to make .... with Seattle. The Mariners need bats and have pitching. Conversations need to happen and sometimes an agreement evolves from having a seat at the table. Who would Seattle want in return for Logan Gilbert or George Kirby? The Twins could really move things around by both adding pitching and trading expiring contracts. I don't have any feel for what Falvey wants however. I think the Twins stand pat in the end. I always feel it is a little futile, even somewhat cruel considering we are referring to upsetting people's lives, to suggest trades. It is a part of the game however. One thing to consider is that the Twins do have multiple players looking for an opportunity and some prospects at lower levels who may draw interest. The post features a photo of Sonny Gray. He, Maeda, Farmer(for utility), Gallo (power), Taylor (defense & speed), and others should be in conversations. I'm willing to see how the Twins do with what they have now but also do not expect any of those players to be on the 2024 roster.
- 88 replies
-
- sonny gray
- joey gallo
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
What about for Hader? San Diego would want more too (Winder or Varland or Balazovic).
- 83 replies
-
- trevor larnach
- matt wallner
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Rumor: (Synder-)Guards get Thor for Rosario
tony&rodney replied to VivaBomboRivera!'s topic in Other Baseball
Cleveland needed to turn shortstop over to one of their good young hot shot prospects who have only been getting snippets of time at the MLB level. Rosario was a thorn in the Twins side last year, so I'm not sorry to see him go. I do think the replacement(s) will be better for Cleveland. -
This should be true. The exceptions are those with no trade clauses which they will not drop. I like Larnach and believe he will do well if given plenty of time. The Yankees have been giving Volpe a ton of playing time and he has his average up over .200 now. San Diego might be interested in Larnach. Would Preller send Hader for Larnach, Winder, and a lower level pitcher? I don't see Kepler going anywhere and he still has skills. Gallo has reached the end. Even if Gallo goes, Larnach still doesn't have a path to playing time. Both Larnach and Wallner need playing time. One of them should be traded.
- 83 replies
-
- trevor larnach
- matt wallner
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Byron has changed his swing. He looks like his swing is tuned to avoid aggravating an injury even as he still takes a healthy hack. His approach can only be termed befuddling. The number of pitches taken right down the middle seem commonplace, even if the actual number may be less. The infielders play all the way back on the edge of the grass because Buck no longer wants to waste his legs on a bunt single. Buxton can still hit multiple 450+ homers in the same game but I know opponents look at his talent and current predicament and feel a little bit sorry for him, except when he is in the box against their team. He had a break from the All Star Game and now another break due to paternity leave. Will anything change? Buxton's breakdown is a part of the failure to hit left-handed pitchers, but I agree with those who mention the troubles of Correa, Farmer, Miranda, and others as equal contributions.
- 20 replies
-
- byron buxton
- carlos correa
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
In time the top five players from the 2023 draft will get their opportunity to prove their worth. I'm just glad the Twins didn't try something else (college guy) and picked Walker Jenkins, and then signed him for full slot plus a used VW. The MLB draft has always been a big gamble and the money keeps moving upward. The Twins are fine to keep to budget as long as they keep picking the best players in the first few rounds. The number of impact players from later rounds is decreasing with the increased visibility of the players, even though we know there will always be a few low draft choices who climb the ladder to become stars.
-
What does San Diego want for Hader? They have indicated that they are holding him, but there may be a package to pry him loose. What is reasonable?
- 80 replies
-
- paul goldschmidt
- cody bellinger
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
The pitching carried the Twins through the All Star break. The bats have shown life lately. If the Twins are going to be in the AL Central chase (not such a high bar to clear), they will need all of the offense that they can assemble in their lineup. I appreciate those who have fears of Julien and Wallner in the field and would not suggest that either is at the level the Twins would prefer. They are both inexperienced and a little awkward, but we have also seen that they are making the vast majority of plays and actually not hurting the team with their gloves at all. We may fear every ball hit in their direction but the outs have been recorded despite the angst. The decisions are forthcoming and we (fans) have no say in the matter. Until Julien and Wallner fail, it seems that wins might be hard to come by without them in the lineup on a regular basis. This is even more true if the pitching is not able to repeat their performances from the first half of the year. I'm curious what Falvey will see as a solution.
- 38 replies
-
- joe ryan
- josh winder
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Falvey gets to show his worth in the next week. In addition to potential trade opportunities there is the decisions to make when Buxton, Polanco, and Thielbar return. I'm not sure when Lewis is expected back in action, but that is another roster move, although I expect Lewis spends a week playing for the Saints.
- 38 replies
-
- joe ryan
- josh winder
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Edouard Julien Can End a Twins 27-Year Drought
tony&rodney replied to Ted Schwerzler 's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
No. There is for batting title, but not for ROY. It is given to whomever gets the most votes.

