• Create Account

So much more valuable at 3B. And you can always DH/1B him 40 games a year for defensive purposes. He's certainly a 120 game 3B for the next 3-5 years.

maybe, hopefully, but he's a really big man to be diving all over the hot corner and expect to hold up over the season, especially as he gets closer to 30. He already has the rep to be good coming in on a ball, and not so good ranging to his sides.

I hope he can continue to defy logic, not so certain he will

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure I get the hate for Sano at 3B. He's been very good over there. No need to move him anytime soon. This is coming from someone who saw him in A ball and thought he would never make it as a 3B.

1.) The Twins have a real organizational dearth of MLB ready DH/1B types. Vargas, Palka and Byung Ho all don't seem to be in the long-term plans of the Twins at this point. Vargas seems the most likel

I have little doubt that if Joe Mauer wants to keep playing in 2019, he will be with the Twins. And Twins fans should want that and applaud that.   Obviously they won't sign him to an extension. He's

maybe, hopefully, but he's a really big man to be diving all over the hot corner and expect to hold up over the season, especially as he gets closer to 30. He already has the rep to be good coming in on a ball, and not so good ranging to his sides.

How is he defying logic?

How is he defying logic?

Yeah, I'm skeptical of Sano sticking at third for 5+ seasons but I'm not willing to write it off, either.

Athletes today are not comparable to athletes of the past. Look at your average NFL player. A modern cornerback looks like an old linebacker, a modern defensive lineman looks like an old offensive lineman, and modern offense linemen are no longer classified as human beings.

He's only 24 but that is an issue. I think he'll be fine til 28 or so though.

And again, he can always DH. we don't have one of those.

Edited by ThejacKmp

He's only 24 but that is an issue. I think he'll be fine til 28 or so though.

And again, he can always DH. we don't have one of those.

he can, but as you said, much more valuable at 3rd.

DHs come and go, don't really need to invest heavily. Rooker looks like he's on the fast track, between him, Sano and Mauer you've got first locked down for the foreseeable future, you might have a half season to full season gap between Mauer and Rooker, but FA stop gaps are available at first.

I really want Sano to stay at 3rd, but what if the rigors wear him down quickly? In a couple years maybe?

There's not much in the minors for the hot corner. You don't really see 3b change hands a lot. Stop gap types, sure, but the Josh Donaldson deal from Oakland to a Toronto was unique and Oakland got fleeced. I doubt the Twins could replicate Toronto's move.

Mauer is a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at first base. If they find a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at third base, they have a more valuable player, and players who fit the bill at less cost than Mauer should be available. David Freese signed for $3M last year. Sano would move to first. The Twins have 18 months to find this cheaper, better player.

Freeze at 3b and Sano at first<< Mauer and Sano

Will Diaz or Rooker be ready in two years? Probably not. 

Will Park be a guy to keep? You could. Maybe.

The Twins still need a DH and Mauer is NOT the name for that role, which will eventually go to Sano.

Contract is an issue. You can only resign for so much, right?

Unless you groom Kepler to play 1B (he did some last year, didn't he, at Lookouts land?)

Mauer is a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at first base. If they find a league average hitter who plays pretty good defense at third base, they have a more valuable player, and players who fit the bill at less cost than Mauer should be available. David Freese signed for $3M last year. Sano would move to first. The Twins have 18 months to find this cheaper, better player.

I have changed my tune on Sano. His defense has greatly improved at 3rd and not sure if the switch to 1st base would mess with his hitting.

he can, but as you said, much more valuable at 3rd.

DHs come and go, don't really need to invest heavily. Rooker looks like he's on the fast track, between him, Sano and Mauer you've got first locked down for the foreseeable future, you might have a half season to full season gap between Mauer and Rooker, but FA stop gaps are available at first.

I really want Sano to stay at 3rd, but what if the rigors wear him down quickly? In a couple years maybe?

There's not much in the minors for the hot corner. You don't really see 3b change hands a lot. Stop gap types, sure, but the Josh Donaldson deal from Oakland to a Toronto was unique and Oakland got fleeced. I doubt the Twins could replicate Toronto's move.

Rooker has been fine but he also hasn't set the world on fire. He doesn't seem like a 2018 guy, more of a mid-season 2019 guy. He's also profiling as a corner OF option and occasional 1B/DH. I think it'd be presumptuous to think he's the heir apparent at 1B. 

Sano also looks fine at 3B. Not a gold glove but eminently capable.

Still think there's nothing but room for Mauer as the strong side of a 1B platoon through 2020.

Rooker has been fine but he also hasn't set the world on fire. He doesn't seem like a 2018 guy, more of a mid-season 2019 guy. He's also profiling as a corner OF option and occasional 1B/DH. I think it'd be presumptuous to think he's the heir apparent at 1B.

Sano also looks fine at 3B. Not a gold glove but eminently capable.

Still think there's nothing but room for Mauer as the strong side of a 1B platoon through 2020.

Again, how is a platoon at first base a viable option with a three man bench? The bench is now one catcher, one infielder, one outfielder. That's it. This isn't 1991 when the Twins were carrying 10 pitchers and thus had a 6 man bench everyday. Back then you could have a platoon at one position. Maybe even two. And have a guy who's primary job is to pinch hit. Those days are over. Benches now are all about positional flexibility and if you can get positive offense from ONE of them, great. Edited by yarnivek1972

Again, how is a platoon at first base a viable option with a three man bench? The bench is now one catcher, one infielder, one outfielder. That's it. This isn't 1991 when the Twins were carrying 10 pitchers and thus had a 6 man bench everyday. Back then you could have a platoon at one position. Maybe even two. And have a guy who's primary job is to pinch hit. Those days are over. Benches now are all about positional flexibility and if you can get positive offense from ONE of them, great.

You assume the Twins will carry 13 pitchers forever? They're much more likely to go down to 12 as their pitching improves over the next two years. The massive pen is necessary when you've got three guys who rarely go past 5.

And even if you do go 13, Rooker fits the bill. He's playing corner OF and 1B. You have a middle IF and a C. He's not Vargas.

There are plenty of platoons in baseball today.

That's assuming their pitching improves We've been saying that for awhile now.

Exactly. Sandy Koufax ain't walking into the dugout anytime in the foreseeable future folks, to paraphrase Rick Pitino.

And even a 12 man staff leaves few bench options. I'll also wager that most of the platoons that are out there don't involve a player who is top 10 in salary on the team. Even at $7 mil per year starting in 2019, Mauer would be in the upper half of the payroll ledger.

Edited by yarnivek1972

2019 depends on what 2018 looks like.

But the Twins would be foolish not to try to keep him around, he is still a .370 OBP guy who should have 3.0-3.4 WAR this year.

Plenty of value IMO, esp considering Vargas is nothing special at all thus far, and no other real DH in the system. Sano should be at 3B for next couple years as well.

I'd guess, if he replicates 2017 next year , that he signs a 2 year contract (I can't see him wanting to go year to year) for about 5-6 mil a year.

Worth it IMO

Garver may well end up the platoon partner for Castro.  Twins at least seem to be moving to multi inning relievers, that would be a good start to get to a 12 man staff.

Good point, I must be a little slow today can't play both positions at the same time xD. Good point on receivers too.