Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

MLB pipeline updated list

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,839 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:15 AM

http://m.mlb.com/pro...s/2019?list=min

Not sure if we had posted this before but this is the updated pipeline list which includes recent draftees and international signings.

• KidBro, operation mindcrime and jkcarew like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,271 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:20 AM

http://m.mlb.com/pro...s/2019?list=min

Not sure if we had posted this before but this is the updated pipeline list which includes recent draftees and international signings.

That's a good list for the Twins!
  • SwainZag and operation mindcrime like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#3 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

Aggressive Will Holland ranking at 16.

28 guys with a 45 FV or better.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 30 July 2019 - 02:15 PM.

• birdwatcher likes this

#4 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

Nine listed as OF or OF/1B. Time to trade two or three for controllable relief pitchers.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#5 luckylager

luckylager

• 379 posts
  • LocationStuck in the middle

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:25 PM

Canterino, Severino, Celestino...Way too confusing. Trade one. ;)

• ashbury, Twins33, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#6 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,086 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

Interesting to see where Diaz ranks in the Marlins system and where the two pitchers do for the Jays.

• operation mindcrime likes this

#7 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 679 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:03 PM

I’m a little surprised of two things. 1.Luis Rijo dropped off the list. Given Rijo’s improvements and added speed on his fastball alone I would have thought he’d rise not fall on the MLB pipeline list.
2. No Edwar Colina. Colina has established himself as one of the better prospects the Twins have IMO. To me his big thing that was a negative was his lack of command/control but this year he has improved on that while boasting an above average fastball, slider, and near average change.
  • nicksaviking, PseudoSABR, Dman and 3 others like this

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,722 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

I'm surprised how many 2019 picks made the list, five total and four in the top 16? That seemed high considering I wasn't enamored with too many of those picks.

• Dman, rdehring, FlauerPauer and 1 other like this

#9 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,086 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

I'm surprised how many 2019 picks made the list, five total and four in the top 16? That seemed high considering I wasn't enamored with too many of those picks.

I feel like MLB is rather high on the recent draft classes.

I’m a little surprised of two things. 1.Luis Rijo dropped off the list. Given Rijo’s improvements and added speed on his fastball alone I would have thought he’d rise not fall on the MLB pipeline list.
2. No Edwar Colina. Colina has established himself as one of the better prospects the Twins have IMO. To me his big thing that was a negative was his lack of command/control but this year he has improved on that while boasting an above average fastball, slider, and near average change.

Colina is also missing on Fangraphs. Rather interesting if you ask me. I though this dude was rather legit.

• nicksaviking likes this

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,722 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

I feel like MLB is rather high on the recent draft classes.

Colina is also missing on Fangraphs. Rather interesting if you ask me. I though this dude was rather legit.

Agree with Colina as well. If he keeps mowing them down in AA he's going to be impossible to ignore come end of the season.

• FlauerPauer likes this

#11 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,409 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

1: I count 6 additions (7 new faces, minus Diaz)...so, it's possible Rijo improved his status relative to some/many of the incumbents...but was displaced by all these new faces consisting of high 2019 draft picks, one big-bonus international signing, and one trade acquisition.

2: It doesn't surprise me. Scouts in general are more skeptical with starters, especially power arms...that have Colina's stature. He's 5-11, not exactly prototypical power starter in the majors. Additionally, he's 22 and just getting exposed to AA pitching....got a late start relative to most international players and got buried a bit. Of course, none of this means he won't be a good major-leaguer...(Berrios is 6-0, although he relies more on the breaking pitches than fastball, etc.)...just my two cents on why he's not getting enough love to appear in the top 30 of this ranking.

Edited by jkcarew, 30 July 2019 - 03:47 PM.

#12 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think Pipeline does a re ranking with their midseason updates.
I believe they just slot in any new additions.

#13 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:53 PM

Not worthy of it's own thread, but I saw this in my twitter feed.

If any one has access, I'd like to know where the Twins sit.

#14 darin617

darin617

• 1,387 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:44 PM

1: I count 6 additions (7 new faces, minus Diaz)...so, it's possible Rijo improved his status relative to some/many of the incumbents...but was displaced by all these new faces consisting of high 2019 draft picks, one big-bonus international signing, and one trade acquisition.

2: It doesn't surprise me. Scouts in general are more skeptical with starters, especially power arms...that have Colina's stature. He's 5-11, not exactly prototypical power starter in the majors. Additionally, he's 22 and just getting exposed to AA pitching....got a late start relative to most international players and got buried a bit. Of course, none of this means he won't be a good major-leaguer...(Berrios is 6-0, although he relies more on the breaking pitches than fastball, etc.)...just my two cents on why he's not getting enough love to appear in the top 30 of this ranking.

Size isn't everything. Pedro Martinez was just 5-11 and maybe 170lbs if he was lucky. Dodgers traded him away, think they doubted his durability.

Very bad to ever compare anyone to a HOF pitcher. Just saying size doesn't matter. If it did Trevor May would be a solid workhorse.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

Just saying size doesn't matter. If it did Trevor May would be a solid workhorse.

LOL :excl:

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#16 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:00 AM

28 guys with a 45 FV or better.

Worth noting that MLB Pipeline is pretty aggressive about FV.

I looked up our previous MLB Pipeline lists, and they actually had all 30 guys rated 45 FV or better for every Twins list from 2015-2018 (which was the farthest back I could find):

http://m.mlb.com/pro...s/2018?list=min

http://m.mlb.com/pro...s/2017?list=min

http://m.mlb.com/pro...s/2016?list=min

http://m.mlb.com/pro...s/2015?list=min

I have no doubt we're still among the best farm systems, of course.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#17 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:03 AM

Weird that they downgraded Rortvedt from 45 on last year's list (and presumably preseason 2019 too) to 40 now. His component ratings all stayed the same, except "arm" was downgraded from 55 to 50.

#18 2wins87

2wins87

• 438 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

I get the feeling that the MLB guys make the lists then eyeball the FV values.And the Fangraphs guys do it the other way around.The FG guys also have a stricter rubric for assigning FV grades

• spycake and twins1095 like this