Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Pitch Clock?! Nahhhh

Verified Member

It is coming, and everyone will get used to it.  There is always complaining when changes happen, but then they get used to it.  Rarely do fans years later say I really miss the old rules.  Sometimes a rule change is bad and it gets changed back quickly, but that is rare.  Leagues do not make changes lightly normally.  I remember when fans were mad their was challenges, now I doubt anyone would say lets go back to the old way.  

Not only will it speed up the game, but it should induce more action.  It is not just on the pitcher, but on the hitter.  It will take a little while to have the old timers get used to it, but the minors have been doing it for a few years so many are used to it from that. 

I have not looked close at rule, does the hitter get to call only so many time outs?  I know pitchers when runners are on can only throw over or step off two times.  The third results in either a out of the runner if tagged out, or advance to next base either from steal or balk.  I do not know if that results in a new two pick off attempts though.  The hitter needs to be in the box with so much time left on clock or he gets a strike called.  Of course I assume there are exceptions, like for fouled ball off leg or foot, need to grab new bat because of cracked bat, or had to jump out of way of wild pitch.  However, I wonder if they try to call time will it be denied or does it result in a strike if they are out of time outs and it is granted. 

Verified Member

That was hilarious and shocking at the same time. You used the comparison with the Derby. Most thoroughbreds run 3/4 mile in 1min 12sec. That was crazy. He made the catcher go through the signs 3 times. Wow

Baseball already has a rule mandating a time to pitch the ball. MLB has not had umpires enforce the rule. Putting clocks and buzzers in stadiums will just be ridiculous and another distraction. Rules that are not enforced are pretty useless.

Verified Member

MLB has to institute a pitch click ASAP. I just attended a Iowa Cubs minor league game. 10 runs scored, multiple pitching changes, ( although most were between innings) 2 errors and still the game was over in 2 hours and 14 minutes. It was freaking great. The pitchers didn't screw around and only once did the pitch clock get to 1 second left.

Verified Member
2 hours ago, TheLeviathan said:

Strib had an article today

I understand why players think this is invasive: they've been allowed to change the game in a deeply problematic way for viewership.  They aren't going to like it, but frankly....I don't give a damn.  Every complaint they have, I find to be sweet music to my ears.

I was never a big Smeltzer fan, even less so now. "Destroying the game"? PLEASE.....

On 5/17/2022 at 8:29 AM, tony&rodney said:

Baseball already has a rule mandating a time to pitch the ball. MLB has not had umpires enforce the rule. Putting clocks and buzzers in stadiums will just be ridiculous and another distraction. Rules that are not enforced are pretty useless.

Reports I've heard from the minors is that no one really notices the clock itself, and there's no buzzer that I am aware of.

There is a rule on the books already:

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.”

The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.

The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

Unfortunately, that rule only deals with half the equation: the pitcher. The batter is covered by a separate rule that doesn't have a specific time limit. Also, the pitcher rule doesn't say anything about when a runner is on base, which is 42.4% of pitches so far this season.

It's not that umpires are lazy, but rather, trying to enforce these two separate rules at the same time in a consistent, subjective manner is virtually impossible without a clock.

MLB players do NOT want a pitch clock. They are fine with umpires forcing both batters and pitchers to move the game along. The ability to actually enforce this (and any future changes) resides solely with Manfred and his kids.