• Create Account

GAME THREAD: Twins v Indians x 2 @ 2:10 & 6:40

wsnydes

Doubleheaders.  I love doubleheaders.  Except when they're only 7 innings per game; then I only like them.  But I digress.  I wish MLB would go back to scheduled doubleheaders.  It's an easy way to keep the quantity of games and still condense the schedule.  As a fan, I imagine that I wouldn't be alone in making a day of it in and around the ballpark.

My love for doubleheaders goes back to my playing days as a young lad.  What more can a kid want than to play baseball all day long?  Traveling and playing doubleheaders was even better.  On our way home, we'd often stop at a Zorbaz somewhat on the way and we'd load up on nachos and pizza and hang out by the lake a while.  Lots of fond memories from those summer weekend tournaments, nachos and pizza. 

Oddly enough, perhaps my favorite doubleheader memory is a more recent occurrence that doesn't involve traveling, pizza or playing baseball.  Having only known indoor home baseball up to that point in my life, I had never seen a MLB doubleheader in person.  As it turned out, neither had my dad.  Nor had Target Field.  Which all brings me to May 8th, 2010.  A Saturday twin bill versus the Orioles of Baltimore.  And as fortune would have it, I already had tickets for one of the games.  How much more perfect could this opportunity possibly be?  I suppose that it could have involved pizza, but one can't have everything?  So, I asked my dad if he wanted to partake in the first doubleheader at Target Field.  As I recall, it didn't require a lot of arm twisting.  

Game day arrives.  We sojourned downtown for a pre-doubleheader burger and a beer lunch, talking baseball the whole time.  Game 1 featured a pitching matchup of Jeremy Guthrie v Francisco Liriano.  Not the most exciting pitching matchup, but it was what it was.  The hometown 9 dropped the opener 7-3.  Local squad scoring provided off homers by Morneausy and Cuddy.  Having time to kill, we exited the ballpark and decided to spend the afternoon eating nachos and beer at the Hard Rock Cafe, which was still in the now long defunct Block E across from Target Center.  While there, we noticed many other fans doing the same thing and enjoying the nice May day.  We were still talking mostly baseball with the occasional detour of jabbing the guys at the next table about how much beer they're drinking and how they're going to have to spend the rest of the afternoon in line for the restroom.  There would be some irony there for my dad.  I won't go into details...  Game 2 featured a Kevin Millwood v Scott Baker dual.  Baker tossed 8 innings of 1 R ball to best Millwood's 7 innings while allowing 3 runs himself.  Delmon Young had a big night with a 3-hit, 2-RBI night.  Drew Butera even chipped in with two RBI himself to help give the Twins a 6-1 W.  Full of nachos and to a lesser extent beer, we made our way home after a long, but very enjoyable day of baseball and the memories to go with it.  Interestingly enough, both of these games were two and a half hours long.  Those were the days!

Now to today's doubleheader, the Soon to be Guardians of Cleveland and the Twins of Minnesota square off starting at 2:10 local time!  Grab your nachos, pizza and beer!

Lineups for Game 1:

The Visiting 9:

On the bump - Triston McKenzie, RHP

CF - Straw, RHB

SS - Rosario, RHB

DH - Reyes, RHB

1B - Bradley, LHB

LF - Ramirez, RHB

RF - Zimmer, LHB

C - Hedges, RHB

2B - Gimenez, LHB

The Hometown 9:

On the bump - Joe Ryan, RHP

3B - Arraez, LHB

CF - Buxton, RHB

DH - Polanco, SHB

RF - Kepler, LHB

1B - Sano, RHB

2B - Gordon, LHB

LF - Refsnyder, RHB

C - Rortvedt, LHB

SS - Simmons, RHB

Game 2 lineups to follow.

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I'm excited to see Ryan pitch, of course, but the second game looks... awful, frankly.

image.png

Ish.

It is awful (and i'm not frankly) but i'll still enjoy it, i'm sure.

At least some of it. Gotta be able to win the blood baths as well as the seiges.

4 minutes ago, MMMordabito said:

After the bullpen was decimated yesterday, a six pitch inning is welcome.  Keep it going, Joe!

Good point.  The pen could really use a repeat of Ryan's last outing.  Tonight's game will likely require some work.

2 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I'm excited to see Ryan pitch, of course, but the second game looks... awful, frankly.

image.png

Ish.

Maybe an opportunity to enjoy lots of offense?

Well, maybe not for the thrice no-hit offense of the Tribe. (We can call them that for a few more weeks, yeah?) 

I like games with lots of runners spinning around the bases. Polanco, et al. should be licking their chops for this one. Maybe even Miguel won't be swinging at air.

2 minutes ago, MMMordabito said:

I have to watch on Gameday.  Are the line drives that Joe has been giving up ducks or bullets?

The double was nice contact. Other than that, nothing I'd consider hard-hit. All rather easy plays.

Yeah, Baseball Savant agrees. You can follow this page:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=633581

6 minutes ago, SkyBlueWaters said:

Well, maybe not for the thrice no-hit offense of the Tribe. (We can call them that for a few more weeks, yeah?) 

I like games with lots of runners spinning around the bases. Polanco, et al. should be licking their chops for this one. Maybe even Miguel won't be swinging at air.

Guardians could be a tribe

5 minutes ago, SkyBlueWaters said:

Yeah, I prefer when the Twins have good pitching, obviously, but I'd rather watch a crazy high-offense game than a pitcher's duel anyday.

1 minute ago, Unwinder said:

Yeah, I prefer when the Twins have good pitching, obviously, but I'd rather watch a crazy high-offense game than a pitcher's duel anyday.

That's interesting, I mostly like the pitcher's duel (I prefer short baseball games), though variation is fun and I sometimes enjoy a sloppy slugfest that is just a mess of a baseball game overall.

Featured Video