Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Adalberto Mondesi

High heat

What do you think of the Twins kicking the tires on The royals Mondesi? He had ranked as a solid fielder at SS with really good speed and developing power. The Royals move Nicky Lopez who played very well at SS and have Witt jr at AAA ready to take over. 

Could the Twins buy low on Mondesi a once top SS prospect and get some consistency out of him at SS? He has years of team control left would the Royals send him to a division rival? 

Seems like a solid guy to target, to me. I think they should make an offer to one of the free agents, but Mondesi seems like the type of player they could circle back to if free agency doesn’t go their way. He’d be a decent stopgap for a year. 

Seems like a good trade target. The Royals may have some motivation as his salary ticks up in arbitration. The Royals will want young players in return. Would you give up Strotman and Celestino for two years of Mondesi? Would it be enough? BTV doesn’t think so but the value will change depending on his arb award.

I would certainly give up Strotman and Celestino for Mondesi.  He would be a great "lottery ticket' gamble.  Inter division trades are always tough to come by, but I'd certainly pursue it.  As jorgenswest pointed out, the BTV's don't work right now, but depending on what Mondesi is awarded in arbitration, that could change.

Here's a deal that would work right now as far as BTV's is concerned:

Twins Get:  A. Mondesi  11.0  Klein RHP .50  Brentz  LHP =  13.30     Royals Get:   Canterino  9.6  Strotman  3.9  =  13.50.

We can afford to give up two young pitching prospects.  We've got a TON of them.  This is a big IF, but if Mondesi can stay healthy, SS could be solved for many years and Lewis and Martin can become OF'ers.  I have no idea what we'd be getting with Brentz and I must admit, I'm partial to RHP's named KLEIN.  (can you imagine the team speed and athleticism with Buxton, Mondesi, Lewis and Martin??!!)

The Royals just may do it.  Lopez played very well at SS this year and Bobby Witt jr. is waiting in the wings.  He could be their starter sometime NEXT YEAR with Lopez moving back to 2B.  Either way, NOTHING is stopping Bobby Witt jr and that makes Mondesi "AVAILABLE."  

THIS is why I LOVE this site.  Guys on here consistently come up with reasonable ideas like this that make for great conversation/speculation.  Mondesi could just keep getting hurt and never amount to anything.  But the Royals will probably be moving on soon and I'd love the idea of Mondesi hitting somewhere in our lineup and making things happen on the bases.  

The Royals would ask for Ryan, I believe. Mondesi, when right, is a game changer. He is not on Buxton's level but they share traits and the Royals still love the skills that Mondesi brings to their team. That said, the Royals are flush with Lopez and Witt at shortstop and there may be a trade possible between these teams. The unbalanced schedules really reduces trades between teams in the same division. Good idea to post.

2 hours ago, TopGunn#22 said:

I would certainly give up Strotman and Celestino for Mondesi.  He would be a great "lottery ticket' gamble.  Inter division trades are always tough to come by, but I'd certainly pursue it.  As jorgenswest pointed out, the BTV's don't work right now, but depending on what Mondesi is awarded in arbitration, that could change.

Here's a deal that would work right now as far as BTV's is concerned:

Twins Get:  A. Mondesi  11.0  Klein RHP .50  Brentz  LHP =  13.30     Royals Get:   Canterino  9.6  Strotman  3.9  =  13.50.

We can afford to give up two young pitching prospects.  We've got a TON of them.  This is a big IF, but if Mondesi can stay healthy, SS could be solved for many years and Lewis and Martin can become OF'ers.  I have no idea what we'd be getting with Brentz and I must admit, I'm partial to RHP's named KLEIN.  (can you imagine the team speed and athleticism with Buxton, Mondesi, Lewis and Martin??!!)

The Royals just may do it.  Lopez played very well at SS this year and Bobby Witt jr. is waiting in the wings.  He could be their starter sometime NEXT YEAR with Lopez moving back to 2B.  Either way, NOTHING is stopping Bobby Witt jr and that makes Mondesi "AVAILABLE."  

THIS is why I LOVE this site.  Guys on here consistently come up with reasonable ideas like this that make for great conversation/speculation.  Mondesi could just keep getting hurt and never amount to anything.  But the Royals will probably be moving on soon and I'd love the idea of Mondesi hitting somewhere in our lineup and making things happen on the bases.  

Mondesi could be an interesting trade possibility. I don't really know what KC needs to swing this deal but it should be pursued. 

Mondesi is in year 2 of his arbitration next year, estimated to earn $3.5MM so it would give the Twins an inexpensive option with 2 years of team control. Also, while I agree the Royals may have viewed Mondesi as an elite talent after his great 2018 season, in the 3 years since he's made it pretty clear he's a below average bat with a 3.0 WAR ceiling over a full season.

Since Mondesi is still technically young, there may be the expectation he could turn a corner and find an extra gear, but with a BB rate below 5% and a strikeout rate right at 30%, his value at the plate is going to be somewhat limited. Honestly, Mondesi manufactures a lot of his ISO/SLG with his legs rather than his raw power and his sprint speed has nose-dived the past couple years.

Of course, like Buxton, there are some major injury concerns as well. Mondesi played 75, 102, 59(139), and 35 games in his past 4 years with several trips to the IL.

Since Mondesi can't be counted on to cover shortstop more than 1/2 the season (and you don't know which half), the Twins need another internal option they'd feel comfortable having cover the position. The Twins showed very clearly over the course of the 2021 season, they have utterly nobody they trust at shortstop in their entire system, but have a couple potential candidates who might be able to play it in the next year or two. Spending significant talent on Mondesi doesn't really feel like a good fit to me.

Mondesi would be a good trade candidate if all else fails.  He has speed and some power and no ability to get on base.  I dont know about his defense.  But he is young enough fir a change of scenery opportunity.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:51 PM, High heat said:

What do you think of the Twins kicking the tires on The royals Mondesi? He had ranked as a solid fielder at SS with really good speed and developing power. The Royals move Nicky Lopez who played very well at SS and have Witt jr at AAA ready to take over. 

Could the Twins buy low on Mondesi a once top SS prospect and get some consistency out of him at SS? He has years of team control left would the Royals send him to a division rival? 

He has 2 years of team control.  You better pick players that never see the big leagues because trading players with 6 years of control for at best an average player is not good asset management.  No thanks.  Pay the money and fill the whole through free agency or trade Arraez and a prospect for a very good SS prospect that is ready or near ready.

Nah, engineer a trade for Witt instead!  I know it would cost a ton, but why take their 3rd best SS?

Canterino and Strotman for Mondesi seems like a big overpay to me. We do not have pitching to burn for that type of player.

Aim higher, please.

Just a thought for Twins fans to consider - the Royals consider Mondesi a lesser version of Buxton, a player with big upside who has been off the field too often. Clearly, Buxton has shown much more than Mondesi but the Canterino and Strotman trade isn't likely too far off. The Royals are wondering who else will the Twins add. Mondesi is worth a conversation but seems a very difficult trade to complete for the Twins. Still, I'm intrigued - he has talent and that is a good thing. Remember, our hope is that the Twins sign Buxton because he is very talented. Mondesi makes sense.