Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Hunter ejected (takes Molly with him)

formerly33

Once upon a time, in tonight's game versus the Royals, there was a pretty biased umpire named Mark Ripperger camped out behind home plate. Leaning over Perez's back, he called our Torii Hunter out on balls. Torii calmly turned around and gave him the snazziest piece of trash talking he'll be hearing in 10+ years, and Ripperger, feeling sorry for himself, tossed T-Hunt from the game. Of course, Paul Molitor (doing his job as always) popped out of the dugout to see why that had happened. Before he had time to say "Little Pig Robinson," he had been tossed too. The scene that followed will go down in the books as one of the best post-ejection performances in the history of baseball.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/129900956/twins-torii-hunter-paul-molitor-ejected-against-royals

http://i1.wp.com/www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/80c5d93820ca2d29605909a48dfaf7bab91bb2ef/c=1174-21-3207-1549/local/-/media/2015/06/10/USATODAY/USATODAY/635695752921802182-USP-MLB-KANSAS-CITY-ROYALS-AT-MINNESOTA-TWINS-73699798.JPG?resize=660%2C495

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it was fun.  Good for him although I imagine we'll get a lot of "he's an embarrassment" or "he's riling up the troops" stories from people.

"He's riling up the troops" is fine with me. :)

Provisional Member

Baseball has the funniest tantrums.   Imma look real tough and spit and yell, oh someone hold me back, I don't know what I'll do if you don't hold me back, no seriously see how fierce I look hold me back, ah see your lucky they held me back ump here have some laundry. 

Community Moderator

Once upon a time, in tonight's game versus the Royals, there was a pretty biased umpire named Mark Ripperger camped out behind home plate. Leaning over Perez's back, he called our Torii Hunter out on balls. Torii calmly turned around and gave him the snazziest piece of trash talking he'll be hearing in 10+ years, and Ripperger, feeling sorry for himself, tossed T-Hunt from the game. Of course, Paul Molitor (doing his job as always) popped out of the dugout to see why that had happened. Before he had time to say "Little Pig Robinson," he had been tossed too. The scene that followed will go down in the books as one of the best post-ejection performances in the history of baseball.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/129900956/twins-torii-hunter-paul-molitor-ejected-against-royals

http://i1.wp.com/www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/80c5d93820ca2d29605909a48dfaf7bab91bb2ef/c=1174-21-3207-1549/local/-/media/2015/06/10/USATODAY/USATODAY/635695752921802182-USP-MLB-KANSAS-CITY-ROYALS-AT-MINNESOTA-TWINS-73699798.JPG?resize=660%2C495

Very eloquently put, always.  I loved it.  He was pretty dang quick to eject Molly.  

I was with him until the jersey tossing. There's riling up the troops and there's over-the-top and acting like a 4-year old. He crossed the line. That said, I'm over it. It should be a fine only.

I'd have to disagree, howeda7. You have your argument, but I think that Torii carried his meltdown just long enough to get people excited and wondering how long it would last, but at the same time he stopped before anyone dreamed of turning their eyes to the night sky and therefore missing part of the play.

In my humble opinion, Torii had a perfectly legitimate undershirt which could have joined the pile of dirty laundry.

Sometimes you have to throw a tantrum like a 4 year old. It was not close to being a strike. Hunter's job is not only being our RF, a part of his job is to show the other guys on this team when enough is enough. A Bull**** call will elicit a reaction that no umpire wants to deal with and Hunter gave it to him good and plenty. The next time that ump is calling balls and strikes during a Twins game, he will be a little more on point about how he calls strikes, especially against Hunter.

Certainly, one would like to see these things avoided, but this was a good lesson to younger guys and when the HP ump watches the game video, he will know, he was dead wrong.

Bravo.

Community Moderator

I'd have to disagree, howeda7. You have your argument, but I think that Torii carried his meltdown just long enough to get people excited and wondering how long it would last, but at the same time he stopped before anyone dreamed of turning their eyes to the night sky and therefore missing part of the play.

In my humble opinion, Torii had a perfectly legitimate undershirt which could have joined the pile of dirty laundry.

Hahaha now we see where your true intentions lie

I would've preferred if he has to throw a tantrum for us to win that he had chosen to do that when we still had a chance to win.  In the bottom of the 8th while getting your butt handed to you seems more like sour grapes.

I can see this but I'm sort of neutral on it. But I'd rather see a tantrum than punches being thrown and/or benches clearing. Not that that would illicit that, but in general.

I would've preferred if he has to throw a tantrum for us to win that he had chosen to do that when we still had a chance to win.  In the bottom of the 8th while getting your butt handed to you seems more like sour grapes.

I guess the question is this: Was there an awful pitch thrown to him in the early innings? The pitch Hunter was ejected on was a ball - no doubts. I do feel like Hunter did the right thing and hopefully the other guys on this squad took notice.

To survive as a hitter in this league you need to show some intestinal fortitude sometimes and do the uncomfortable thing. This is good for the younger guys to understand they do not need to be timid and be forthright. This is not a shot or anything, but I would like to see Joe stick up for himself once in a while - let the volcano bubbling inside of you explode sometimes.

I guess the question is this: Was there an awful pitch thrown to him in the early innings? The pitch Hunter was ejected on was a ball - no doubts. I do feel like Hunter did the right thing and hopefully the other guys on this squad took notice.

To survive as a hitter in this league you need to show some intestinal fortitude sometimes and do the uncomfortable thing. This is good for the younger guys to understand they do not need to be timid and be forthright. This is not a shot or anything, but I would like to see Joe stick up for himself once in a while - let the volcano bubbling inside of you explode sometimes.

That's all fine, I just think there is room between meek and mild Joe and this.  I'd also contend that this tantrum had little to do with the strike call and probably much more as an excuse to try and wake up his teammates.

That's all fine, I just think there is room between meek and mild Joe and this.  I'd also contend that this tantrum had little to do with the strike call and probably much more as an excuse to try and wake up his teammates.

I totally agree with you on that Levi.

I always said that if I go swimming in the ocean and get eaten by a shark, I'll fight all the way down and make it regret that decision. Now I know how ... and I'll also have to start carrying a concealed on the land, too, I guess.

But this is getting off topic. :)

I don't remind him riling up the troops.  Seem to remember Cory Koski doing a 'Kyle Loshe on Ron Gardenhire's door' impression on some poor clubhouse chair a few years back.  It was just the trick.   They brought in Hunter for this type of fire.  Let's see if it turns things around.

Archived