Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

gman

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,372
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by gman

  1. There is an article in "The Sporting News" from May(?) 1999, that says the Twins have not developed any good pitching in 20 years. So I think going back to at least the late '70's , the team has been pitching starved. Yes there was Viola in the 80'. Then um, er,um in the 2000's along came Santana and the rest of your crew. So this is a chronic, historical problem. I hope it gets solved someday. Hoops I forgot Radke in the 90"s. I wonder who will be our pitcher this decade?
  2. I think by looking at stats with the Twins vs stats with Balt and I think the stats lie. The first 3 months of the year(with Balt) he gave up 2 earned runs and 16 hits in 36 innings. Then in July, he gave up 14vhits and 6 earned runs in 11 innings while still with Balt. BUT, 6 hits and 4 earned runs were against the Twins in 1/3 of an inning over 2 games. The rest of the month he gave up 8 hits and 2 earned runs against everyone else. While with the twins in August, he gave up 10 hits and 3 earned runs in 11 innings, about how he pitched the rest of the year against everyone. In Sept her gave up 13 hits and 8 earned runs in 9.2 innings. Again it was one team the Guardians who knocked him around for 7 hits and 6 earned runs in 1.2 innings.. His other innings he gave up 2 earned runs and 6 hits in 8 innings. He was only hit by Cleveland, unfortunately they were critical series. So for the whole year he did poorly in 3 series against 2 teams the Twins and Guardians. If he changed his pitch selection against the Guardians in the second series it may have been more an instance of pitch selection to specific batters, then some amazing mid year transition. Finally his last 5 games of the year, he gave up 1 hit and 0 runs. I know some people on this site try to hammer Twins front office and coaches every chance they get, but at least study the info instead of just looking for reason to cast aspersions.
  3. Can't miss if yo don't swing.
  4. I agree, but I'm not sure why you quoted me?
  5. There are lots of maybe's involved. Maybe he never really wanted to be in Minnesota. Maybe his physical was far worse than we will ever know. Maybe by going somewhere else he did the Twins a favor by not getting stuck with a real albatross of a contract. Maybe Twins management really did know how bad his physical could be and decided to swing for it anyway. Maybe Correa agreed to thirdbase because he won't be playing shortstop for too many more years. Probably a few more.
  6. Have to think that after all the talk about Correa wanting the highest contract ever for a shortstop, he really changed his mind quick. Maybe he didn't want to wait until the Mets had second thoughts about the physical?
  7. I vote with pack the bullpen as much as possible. Plan on the first reliever coming in the sixth inning sometime, 1 out, 2 out, nobody out. Very few starts get to the seventh. That's 3-4 relief pitchers per game, or include at least one 2 inning reliever.
  8. Mets probably had the second highest offer out there. If the Twins had come back higher, the Mets would probably just raise the price somewhat.
  9. If the Giants don't sign him for physical reasons the Twins don't want him. Glad it wasn't the Twins doctors who might have overlooked an issue. Or gambled it could be okay.
  10. I don't think the Twins need a miracle, unless you consider good health to be a miracle. Perhaps it is. I think Gallo was signed as an insurance policy in case one of Larnach, Kirilloff or Buxton are not ready in the spring. They may not be and the team will need some punch in the lineup. If everything works out well, maybe they can trade Gallo next July. I would work to sign Gray, Maeda or Mahli to extensions now. If they won't sign, I would seriously consider trading them before the next trading deadline. I would expect Mahli to get the larger extension due to age and ability. If we can't sign any of the top starters this off season, no reason to believe we can or will next off season. I was never a Correa fan, so I an fine with Farmer playing SS until we have an internal replacement available. His numbers at ss both last season and career wise look pretty good. I am not sure why people are so down on him.
  11. I think either Gray or Maeda could be traded right now. If so, I would expect a group of top prospects with primary focus on close to the majors starting talent. They have enough controller players to fill the starting lineup even if many do not have much major league experience. They've got to learn sometime. I like the idea of acquiring young starting talent to go with the young lineup. Let them develop together and hopefully when they "arrive" they can be a long term playoff contender.
  12. I think Lee is more the long term third baseman. If 2023 is a year of the kids I'm okay with that. At least its a direction the team can sustain. Leave all of Lewis, Lee, Martin & Julian in triple A until mid June, then bring them in to play out the year.
  13. Well if he accidentally gets off to a fast start, they can trade as soon as possible.
  14. Of his 6 years what are the odds that 3 are healthy?
  15. If there is value in having Crawford coach Lewis into the position along with playing part time, even if Lewis starts on then backfields. I somehow don't think that would be worth 16mil plus any player traded for him.
  16. It wouldn't surprise me if they traded anyone this off season or any other off season, if the trade makes the team better long term. The team wasn't good enough to make the playoffs last season, although they might have if not for all the injuries. What they need is a complete season of play from Kirilloff, Larnach, Miranda, Jeffers, Ober, Grey, Maeda, Mahli and as much as possible from Lewis, Arraez, Polanco & Buxton. Maybe Julian, and Martin as the right handed utilty outfielder.
  17. IF our rotation stays healthy for most of the year, I think we have enough to win the central with. I think Richardson should sixth starter up this year though, he seems to have the tools to settle higher up in a rotation then the others at St Paul. This year it could be up to Enlow and Balazovic, if we are going to add another starter from the minors to the Varland, Winder & Richardson mix. I don't see any other new names coming from the minors for the next 2 years. We need to hang unto our veteran pool of hitters(Arraez, Polanco mainly) to help the guys without a full year of major league experience grind through the year.
  18. With both catchers playing 75-90 games makes their catching position very strong. This should cement their catching position for the next couple of years and be one less position that needs to be addressed.
  19. I was never a Correa fan. I suggested he be traded at the trade deadline in July. We could have gotten more than we did for him. When he was signed last spring, I thought the intention was to trade him. Too late now.
  20. Yankees get Kepler and Pagan - Yankees get lefty hitting outfielder for their short right field porch. Pagan , eh cut. Twins get Volpe, Rordvedt, Hicks & Donaldson and eat about $25mil. Volpe starting shortstop, Rortvedt lefty hitting good defensive catcher, Hicks is Buxtons injury replacement 60 games a year and Donaldson we send out to anyone.
  21. One other thought. I have heard in the rule changes for next year that the ball will be larger. Who would that benefit more that Arraez having more ball surface to smack around?
  22. Not only was Arraez the best hitter on the team, but the best hitter with runners in scoring position. Arraez 366/441/862 42% of runners scored Buxton 145/280/635 34% of runners scored Correa 277/364/730 28% of runners scored If the objective is to sore runs, which is part of baseball, I think we keep Arreaz and let him hit third. I also think Arreaz will win several more batting titles and I wouldn't be surprised to have several season in the 360's. Too many fans think that the end all is to swing hard, strike out and occasionally hit a homerun, they really have no idea how hitting and run scoring is put together.
  23. Interesting, but the Marlins really need hitting and they do seem to have a surplus(bad word) of starting pitcher types.
×
×
  • Create New...