Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

gman

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,372
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by gman

  1. I might think they could look at Henry Mendez at first base next year. At 6'3" he has the size and is not a particularly good fielder in the outfield. He has been a good hitter, without displaying a lot of power. Gonzalez was not a good hitter or fielder this year and he may have to fight Rosario and Kendle as right handed hitting outfielders next year.
  2. If they reach the 171 mil floor, they almost have to sign some relievers. They would have to add about 55-60 mil to the payroll. Minter could be retained at a probable minimum of $11mil. Assuming they get in the Jeffers sweepstakes at $16 -20mil and that leaves them with around $33mil to spend. Hopefully they don't tie it all up long term to keep some flexability for future years. So this year they could sign several relievers for up to 10 mil each for 2-3 years. They will have some younger players to pay in 2028 and going forward. I hope they would spend more in future years but I would be happy to see them get to $171mil for next year.
  3. I think that Rodriguez, Culpepper and Jenkins should be in the starting lineup next year from the word go. Same for Houston and Lackey whenever they are ready. As of now the only set batters we have are Buxton, Clemens, Lee and Keashall so there is plenty of room. For all the talk of trading for players, I think there are very few teams that build a contender from trades.
  4. I think Maki did a good job. However the front office wants to spin it, they just didn't get enough pitching talent that would have been major league quality. Who ever they hire this winter, should get a good set of starting pitching arms. But the bullpen, they better plan on signing about 5 good arms.
  5. i think we should expect him to pitch out of the bullpen in 2027. Not that I wouldn't want him to in the rotation, but the bullpen seems more doable. When he recovers and shows enough to challenge for a starting role, let the competition show who's better.
  6. I think they will need to plan on up to 100 games at DH for Buxton next year. That's if he gets out spring training and is healthy enough to play. So the question then becomes how much would they pay for some one else to DH for the other 60 games.
  7. As of now I go with keep them both. It's not like they have so many bullpen alternatives that they for sure can go with someone else. If come the end of spring training one or the other doesn't make the cut, so be it.
  8. I would like to say that the Twins need to make faster judgement calls on some players, but then you need someone waiting in the wings to replace them with. The twins haven't had that luxury and neither do most teams.
  9. Maybe they need to get someone like Pablo Lopez, once his career is done (hopefully not any time soon), to run a Dominican pitching academy.
  10. Tough question, "but why don't many Dominican players advance past High A?"
  11. Working with players we have not the ones we hope to get maybe someday. I agree with Clemens being pulled away from second and at this point would be our best hitter for first base.
  12. Seems like the development program has been totally geared towards developing starters, where as most pitchers will pitch in relief. I think after 2 years college pitchers who are not making it need to be shifted to the bullpen and 3 years for high school pitchers. With exceptions given to some pitchers but not all.
  13. My last line says I would plan to start Clemons at first base. But I would need to pull him away from second base.
  14. That's why I would only have him start 2 a week in the outfield. However if he is healthy, I could see him do a ten game stretch as an injury replacement with him going back to DH after it was over. No doubt over the next 2 years they will have other outfielders who (I hope) will earn playing time. Mayber Roden will still be on the roster with Rodriguez and Jenkins the primary centerfield/ right field guys.
  15. I might go with Ross or Kriedler as the starting second baseman next year with expectations of Houston coming in mid season as the shortstop end either Culpepper or Lee taking over at second full time and the other at third. I would then plan on Clemons at first base.
  16. The team could resign Jeffers with the intention of keeping him 1-2 years of a multiyear deal. They will need a decent catcher in 2027 and having someone to share the load with Lackay in 2028 would be good. You could(?) front load a 4 year deal for him to make him easier to trade and make it more likely he could sign a team friendlier contract. But I expect they are more likely to try to back load a deal. a 3-4 year deal at 17-18 mil per might get it done. I also expect Larnach, Martin, Bell, Wallner, Gray, Jackson and Lewis to be gone. They could plan on Clemons for first base. And have Buxton play twice a week in the outfield and otherwise DH and fill in as an injury replacement. This might get him in the lineup more throughout the year. They should/could add back Sands, Paredes, Lopez, Abel, and Festa.
  17. I don't think anyone should plan on Buxton starting more than 2 games a week, except as a emergency fill in. Let him DH otherwise. Your regular starting outfield could then be Rodriguez, Jenkins and Keaschall. This should hopefully keep Buxtons bat in the lineup throughout the year. After 2 years of starting in left field, we'll know if he has become a good fielder or not. Otherwisee, there are a half dozen other minor leaguers looking for an outfield spot by then. Second position for Keaschall to fill in at would be first base. Since that is normally held for a slow moving slugger type, I'm not sure he is a particulary good fit there.
  18. I don't think there is much chance that Jeffries is resigned for 3-4 years. Or even 1-2 years. He'll probably get a deal in the 60-75 million range. Next year in the catching department I think the the focus will be on Vahn Lackey being pushed through the system as quick as possible with Diaw and Tait coming in at #2 & #3. Right now it seems as if Diaw is slightly ahead, but the Twins gave up a lot for Tait and Jimenez and probably won't just forget about them. Diaw is the old man of the group at a recently turned 23 and his skill set looks strong if a little weak on the caught stealing department. Even Nunez who is shy of opportunity so far has a very high OBP and a caught stealing rate close to 30%. He is also in the same age group as Tait. But probably comes in at a distant 5th following the above.
  19. Well great. Like many I have been checking the baseball sites around the Twins looking for info on his status. When the calendar turned August and there was no word I had pretty much given up hope on his ever getting on the mound again. We will see if he can make the Twins next year.
  20. He has pitched 118 innings this year, including at ST Paul. I am not sure what his target for the year is, but I think at 37 more than last year he is probably at about his max. They could just have him throw in the bullpen the rest of the year and work on an off speed pitch of some sort. There is no need to pitch him until his arm falls off. When next year comes, they will need him in the rotation not on the 60 day IL.
  21. Most of the people who built this roster are gone. So what's left is to deal with it. Keep Buxton, Keaschall, Jenkins, Rodriguez & Roden on the Twins and Mendez, Gonzalez, Rosario, Kendle & ? on the Saints roster. The others you bite the bullet and get whatever you can for them. Too late to say you should have done something else.
  22. It would be good on this kind of article if the teams you have in mind to compare the Twins to would be mentioned. I think we could say Cleveland, then ? Tampa Bay and recently Seattle? I think most of the best starters are high draft picks out of college and there aren't many. That's pretty much a crap shoot.
  23. I guess you know what a player is worth by what other teams are willing to trade for him. It didn't seem as if much was offered other than a pitcher by the Astros who is having an off year overall.
  24. I think Wallner may have competition at that spot from Rodriguez. I think Emma will also be a better outfielder to substitute in than Wallner.
  25. Keaschall hasn't had a lot of game time experience at any position in the minors or majors. He was drafted in '23 and played 24 games at second base. In '24 he played 39 games in the field while he was held out or playing dh until he had arm surgery. In '25 he got 41 games at 2nd and no outfield time. 26 became the first year that he has gotten time as a professional in the field. The team needs to figure out where they want him to play and get him time in that spot(s). I think based on nothing that his best position turns out to be left field. If they can train pitchers why can't they train others to throw better?
×
×
  • Create New...