Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted
3 minutes ago, Danchat said:

The 49ers reportedly had a really high asking price (borderline 1st-2nd round pick) so nobody traded for him, but he hits the market in 2027.

At this point I call them and offer the 2nd and Murray to be their backup.  Let's get a look at him before we do anything in FA.

Community Moderator
Posted

Honestly this is a huge indictment on KOC. The kid won a national championship and, worthy or not, was a 1st round pick. Any notion that KOC is a "QB whisperer" should be preposterous.

Posted
3 minutes ago, TheLeviathan said:

At this point I call them and offer the 2nd and Murray to be their backup.  Let's get a look at him before we do anything in FA.

I would also call the Chargers now and see if they’re ready to move on from Herbert now… We might as well push the chips in while we have a Super Bowl caliber defense. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

I would also call the Chargers now and see if they’re ready to move on from Herbert now… We might as well push the chips in while we have a Super Bowl caliber defense. 

Agreed.  But it would be so Vikings to have some misguided belief that Kyler is that guy and miss out on this window.  (Also giving me Tom Pohlad trade deadline PTSD)

Posted
4 minutes ago, Musk21 said:

Honestly this is a huge indictment on KOC. The kid won a national championship and, worthy or not, was a 1st round pick. Any notion that KOC is a "QB whisperer" should be preposterous.

I think we’ve learned the bucket of QBs KOC can work with the best is really small. He did well with Kirko Chainz and Darnold. He simply won’t make the proper adjustments to support a mobile QB. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Vanimal46 said:

I would also call the Chargers now and see if they’re ready to move on from Herbert now… We might as well push the chips in while we have a Super Bowl caliber defense. 

I'd go for Herbert, but I don't have interest in Mac Jones. Jones is just a game manager; he might not lose you games, but I don't think he wins you any either. 

Of course you'd think if the Chargers were willing to trade Herbert, the Vikings would have already covered that base, as Jim Harbaugh is probably your first call when trying to trade JJ McCarthy. Clearly Jim wanted him less than his brother did.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Musk21 said:

Honestly this is a huge indictment on KOC. The kid won a national championship and, worthy or not, was a 1st round pick. Any notion that KOC is a "QB whisperer" should be preposterous.

I disagree. McCarthy was the 5th QB taken in the draft and NOBODY here was under the impression that he was a can't miss prospect. We all knew this was a high risk pick but most of us agreed the Vikings needed to take the chance anyway.

Not an indictment at all in my book, If anything, being decisive and cutting bait on him, instead of desperately trying to make it work is a good sign. I only ever wanted to try this experiment for two years before the team tried again. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

I'd go for Herbert, but I don't have interest in Mac Jones. Jones is just a game manager; he might not lose you games, but I don't think he wins you any either. 

Of course you'd think if the Chargers were willing to trade Herbert, the Vikings would have already covered that base, as Jim Harbaugh is probably your first call when trying to trade JJ McCarthy. Clearly Jim wanted him less than his brother did.

IIRC there were major cap implications that essentially rendered Herbert immovable from the Chargers standpoint.  I don't think they're as onerous this offseason - assuming he doesn't get hurt and trigger a $25MM guarantee on his 2028 salary

Posted

I'm kinda surprised they couldn't get more for him. For a 5th, I would've sat on him.  I'd think that Tampa is hitting the phones for someone to come in this morning. I don't see how a dislocated thumb on his throwing hand is going to allow Mayfield back on the field for what, 7, 8 weeks? Or at 0-3 are they considering it a lost season already.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Original_JB said:

I'm kinda surprised they couldn't get more for him. For a 5th, I would've sat on him.  I'd think that Tampa is hitting the phones for someone to come in this morning. I don't see how a dislocated thumb on his throwing hand is going to allow Mayfield back on the field for what, 7, 8 weeks? Or at 0-3 are they considering it a lost season already.

Baker's expected to be out 3-4 weeks, they would probably trade for a vet who could play right away. JJM is going to need time to acclimate.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Danchat said:

Baker's expected to be out 3-4 weeks, they would probably trade for a vet who could play right away. JJM is going to need time to acclimate.

Aren't too many guys out there to be had, otherwise NYG wouldn't have gone the route they did. 3-4 wks? I'm not a doctor, but I think I'd put money on the over all day (and when I'm in LV later this week, I just may).

Old-Timey Member
Posted
Just now, AlwaysinModeration said:

I don’t mind that they traded McCarthy to the Giants, but I wish they had also gotten Tyrone Tracy back in the deal.

Good point, we really need a RB and they appear set on Skattebo/Harris as their top two RBs, leaving Tracy and Singletary expendable.

Posted
19 minutes ago, AlwaysinModeration said:

I don’t mind that they traded McCarthy to the Giants, but I wish they had also gotten Tyrone Tracy back in the deal.

I had been thinking swapping him to SF and getting Jordan James back. 

But  I'd guess if KOC and the Vikings don't want KOC continually compared to Kyle Shanahan (and they should absolutely NOT care at all about that) they probably wouldn't want to send McCarthy there where he might learn to be a decent game manager.

Posted
34 minutes ago, Aggies7 said:

Time to do what’s right and give Nik Mullens another chance 

I've said it before, but if we can't have a good QB, my priority is to keep Jefferson happy until we do. 

McCarthy: No. Wentz: Yes. Murray: TBD. Looking back at the game logs, Mullens: Yes. 

If Murray gets hurt or just sucks, Mullens would be a good pick up if he's still on the Jax practice squad. I'd guess the new game-manager Wentz would still get the starts though.

Funny, because the chuck it out there and cross your fingers play that Mullens brings, seemed to be the same bit that both Wentz and Jameis Winston were known for, but now what, both of those guys turned into old grandpas and will conservatively dink-and-dunk as their coaches like them to do? Boring.

Safe and admittedly smart, but boring.

Posted

Also, with all this QB talk, we're missing the bigger point. As long as Jefferson is out, I'm not sure it matters which below average QB this team runs with.

Posted

Oooof. On CBSSports.com grading of the trade, they give the Giants a "C" grade, and the Vikes a "B+".  I wonder if we'll ever hear just how bad it must have been.

Posted
2 hours ago, The Great Hambino said:

IIRC there were major cap implications that essentially rendered Herbert immovable from the Chargers standpoint.  I don't think they're as onerous this offseason - assuming he doesn't get hurt and trigger a $25MM guarantee on his 2028 salary

Looking back into this, it looks like Herbert still has an 86M dead cap hit next year. I'd guess he'd have to be absolutely terrible all year for them to want to part ways, and if he's terrible all year, then we're probably looking at another Kyler Murray situation. As much as I'd be interested, I think this is a dead end.

Also, Joe Burrow has a 72M dead cap hit, Josh Allen 147M, Patrick Mahomes 183M, Lamar Jackson 74M, Trevor Lawrence 104M, Jordan Love 83M, Jared Goff 79M, Jalen Hurts 104M, Dak Prescott 131M, Baker Mayfield 95M and Brock Purdy 79M

Looks like the only two veteran QBs under a (non rookie) contract that won't cause the other team to make a Tua move and eat an intolerable amount of money are Daniel Jones and Sam Darnold. Where have I seen those guys before?

Also, Stafford is only 39M dead cap. So I guess, we've seen much worse. But then you'd have to start inventing reasons for the Rams to move on. And Ty Simpson isn't even dressing at the moment. Also, Malik Willis is at 39M. I don't even want to talk about that.

 

Posted

Crap, Josh Oliver tore his biceps.

That's one of those under-the-radar players who will hurt even if we don't exactly see why. The run game will suffer, and if the Vikings are trying to do the ball-control quick passing, he's a decent option in that facet as well.

Old-Timey Member
Posted

It needs to be revisited now that he’s gone, how in the world did all the powers that be choose McCarthy over Darnold prior to last season? I just can’t understand it. It’s one thing for people on a message board to give their opinions, but for the people who saw him everyday, if JJM was SO bad and beyond hope, that you’d ship him off 3 weeks in for a late round pick, how did anyone think he was the better option than a guy who won 14 games in 2024? That’s the kind of move a team who has never won a Super Bowl would make.

Posted
2 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

Crap, Josh Oliver tore his biceps.

That's one of those under-the-radar players who will hurt even if we don't exactly see why. The run game will suffer, and if the Vikings are trying to do the ball-control quick passing, he's a decent option in that facet as well.

Yeah that injury stings. There aren't any TEs on the roster currently that can replace Oliver's run blocking. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Aggies7 said:

It needs to be revisited now that he’s gone, how in the world did all the powers that be choose McCarthy over Darnold prior to last season? I just can’t understand it. It’s one thing for people on a message board to give their opinions, but if JJM was SO bad and beyond hope, that you’d ship him off 3 weeks in for a late round pick, how did anyone think he was the better option than a guy who won 14 games in 2024? That’s the kind of move a team who has never won a Super Bowl would make.

If we had decent reporters still, maybe we would get that story... But I doubt it will see the light of day until KOC is out of here too. That was the single worst decision this organization has made in years. 

Old-Timey Member
Posted
2 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

If we had decent reporters still, maybe we would get that story... But I doubt it will see the light of day until KOC is out of here too. That was the single worst decision this organization has made in years. 

It was always going to be a decision made with ramifications for years to come, if it worked out or not. I just don’t understand, it appears that the head coach wanted/has wanted nothing to do with JJM at this end point. Did he feel that way prior to letting Darnold walk? Did he fight for Darnold to stay while the GM wanted JJM? We may one day know, but now Kwesi and JJM are gone and KOC remains. I guess that’s maybe a bit of a clue? It’s just so bad. As good as the defense is, we have a ceiling with this QB play for 2026. Darnold almost certainly would have elevated that ceiling with even average QB play. Now we’re going to have a top 10 or maybe top 5 defense and probably get bounced in the playoffs because of incompetent QB play.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...