Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted
11 minutes ago, Aggies7 said:

It needs to be revisited now that he’s gone, how in the world did all the powers that be choose McCarthy over Darnold prior to last season? I just can’t understand it. It’s one thing for people on a message board to give their opinions, but if JJM was SO bad and beyond hope, that you’d ship him off 3 weeks in for a late round pick, how did anyone think he was the better option than a guy who won 14 games in 2024? That’s the kind of move a team who has never won a Super Bowl would make.

I get it, and the Vikings seemed to have been proven wrong, but nine out of ten years, the Super Bowl is won by a team with an elite QB, and Darnold was not that guy; neither in 2024 nor in 2025. He was asked to do pretty much nothing with Seattle. He had a good game against the Rams, but in the other playoff games Seattle could have won with Christian Ponder at QB. I mean, it's hard to argue Darnold was the guy when he embarrassed MN in the playoffs the season before.

Maybe the Vikings defense would have been good enough last year, but the running game wouldn't have been up to snuff to keep up with the other teams. 

Old-Timey Member
Posted
16 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

I get it, and the Vikings seemed to have been proven wrong, but nine out of ten years, the Super Bowl is won by a team with an elite QB, and Darnold was not that guy; neither in 2024 nor in 2025. He was asked to do pretty much nothing with Seattle. He had a good game against the Rams, but in the other playoff games Seattle could have won with Christian Ponder at QB. I mean, it's hard to argue Darnold was the guy when he embarrassed MN in the playoffs the season before.

Maybe the Vikings defense would have been good enough last year, but the running game wouldn't have been up to snuff to keep up with the other teams. 

It’s not even really about Darnold though. If McCarthy was SO bad or toxic that he’s traded 3 weeks in to 2026 when he might actually be needed to play, what did they think they had after 2024 (when he didn’t even play) that led them to go all in on him? How was the talent evaluation so off? At worst don’t you say, we don’t know what we have yet so let’s sit him for another year and go with the guy who won the 14 games? It seems like a blunder that’s now going to carry into 2027.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Aggies7 said:

Still though, if McCarthy was SO bad or toxic that he’s traded 3 weeks in to 2026, what did they think they had after 2024 (when he didn’t even play) that led them to go all in on him? How was the talent evaluation so off? At worst don’t you say, we don’t know what we have yet so let’s sit him for another year and go with the guy who won the 14 games? It seems like a blunder that’s now going to carry into 2027.

My reckless speculation on it is Kwesi wanted to go full steam ahead with the roster build around a rookie contract. I don't think KOC ever bought into it because we had the Aaron Rodgers rumors all summer long. I think KOC knew McCarthy was very raw as a QB and needed more time on the sidelines. 

Hard to know if KOC fought to retain Darnold or not. But I'm fairly certain KOC wanted another veteran starting QB for sure in 2025.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
14 minutes ago, Aggies7 said:

It was always going to be a decision made with ramifications for years to come, if it worked out or not. I just don’t understand, it appears that the head coach wanted/has wanted nothing to do with JJM at this end point. Did he feel that way prior to letting Darnold walk? Did he fight for Darnold to stay while the GM wanted JJM? We may one day know, but now Kwesi and JJM are gone and KOC remains. I guess that’s maybe a bit of a clue? It’s just so bad. As good as the defense is, we have a ceiling with this QB play for 2026. Darnold almost certainly would have elevated that ceiling with even average QB play. Now we’re going to have a top 10 or maybe top 5 defense and probably get bounced in the playoffs because of incompetent QB play.

KOC thinks he can coach up any QB to play his system, when it's turning out he needs very specific fits. It would be one thing if JJM was an outlier, but it sure looks like Murray - of whom he handpicked to come play here over every other option - is also just not a fit whatsoever.

The reports I believe stated that Kevin really wanted Jones back as he'd be within the team's budget and they made a similar offer to the Colts. He kicked the tires on Rodgers, but evidently there wasn't enough interest to sign him (Rodgers probably didn't want to compete with JJM). Kwesi engineered the Howell trade and from Day 1 KOC wasn't interested in him... who by the way was nearly perfect this preseason and won the Cowboys backup job, whereas he was unplayable in our preseason games.

I think Kevin rewatched the last two games of 2025 and figured they needed to upgrade the iOL and go with his QB prospect behind an upgraded OL and elite WRs, over spending their FA money on bringing back the same QB who struggled in those two games with the entire offense on his back. And then this offseason KOC finally seems like he's going to implement a heavy run game bringing in Frank Smith and drafting the highest FB in 15 years... just to abandon that plan vs the Bucs and go heavy into the pass and deep, one of Kyler's highest aDOT games of all time. Just like with JJM. Kyler's bread and butter is the short game, and that's not what KOC wants to do.

Posted

I am holding to my opinion that however bad Murray, McCarthy, Wentz or Brosmer have looked, Darnold looked worse in those last two games in 2024.

(ok well maybe not poor guy Brosmer...)

Obviously cooler heads should have prevailed before this organization let Darnold walk. But don't forget how bad the Darnold era ended here! 

Old-Timey Member
Posted
7 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

My reckless speculation on it is Kwesi wanted to go full steam ahead with the roster build around a rookie contract. I don't think KOC ever bought into it because we had the Aaron Rodgers rumors all summer long. I think KOC knew McCarthy was very raw as a QB and needed more time on the sidelines. 

Hard to know if KOC fought to retain Darnold or not. But I'm fairly certain KOC wanted another veteran starting QB for sure in 2025.

There was a quote from KOC about him recommending Darnold to sign in Seattle, he knew they weren't going to give him a multi-year contract and supposedly he pushed for Daniel Jones to compete with JJM. 

Verified Member
Posted
1 hour ago, Vanimal46 said:

Hard to know if KOC fought to retain Darnold or not. But I'm fairly certain KOC wanted another veteran starting QB for sure in 2025.

I think they were expecting Daniel Jones to stay. But he took less money to play for the Colts. 
 

Edited to add. The spin at the time was that Jones was in the QB room and could see McCarthy’s development/progress and decided his best opportunity to start was to move to Indianapolis. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Aggies7 said:

It’s not even really about Darnold though. If McCarthy was SO bad or toxic that he’s traded 3 weeks in to 2026 when he might actually be needed to play, what did they think they had after 2024 (when he didn’t even play) that led them to go all in on him? How was the talent evaluation so off? At worst don’t you say, we don’t know what we have yet so let’s sit him for another year and go with the guy who won the 14 games? It seems like a blunder that’s now going to carry into 2027.

I don't know their thought process. But I have a hard time criticizing since this played out (almost) exactly how I wanted it to. I only wanted to give McCarthy, or whichever rookie QB, two years to show they had the potential to be an upper echelon QB. Any longer than that and it stinks of desperation and delaying finding an actual franchise QB. If McCarthy still wasn't ready in 2025, and clearly he was not, there was no way in hell I was just going to squat on him again and kick the can down the road for another year.

I'm no GM so the Vikings maybe had other motives, but I don't think their evaluation heading into 2025 was off, I just don't think there was an evaluation to be had since McCarthy didn't play and didn't practice all year. They had to make the Darnold decision months before McCarthy could give them anything to evaluate other than year-old college tape.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
2 minutes ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

I am holding to my opinion that however bad Murray, McCarthy, Wentz or Brosmer have looked, Darnold looked worse in those last two games in 2024.

(ok well maybe not poor guy Brosmer...)

Obviously cooler heads should have prevailed before this organization let Darnold walk. But don't forget how bad the Darnold era ended here! 

I don’t forget and I was definitely pounding the table questioning if darnold’s season was all a fraud. 
 

But man, not keeping either of the guys you had in house and going all in on this guy you can’t even stand to be your THIRD quarterback is a crazy turnaround in 18ish months 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Danchat said:

KOC thinks he can coach up any QB to play his system, when it's turning out he needs very specific fits. It would be one thing if JJM was an outlier, but it sure looks like Murray - of whom he handpicked to come play here over every other option - is also just not a fit whatsoever.

Not a fit, and even more bizarrely, it appears KOC changed his system to TRY to make him fit.

Which is so weird considering how past criticisms have been about how KOC is too committed to a long developing passing game. He changes it, and Murray had little chance of validating this new offense.

Not to mention, as much as everyone loves Aaron Jones, a 32-year-old injury prone RB is ALSO not the best fit for this style of play.

I'm not faulting KOC for the McCarthy stuff, but giving Murray the keys, a change in overall offensive and blocking schemes and no improvement in the running game were all things decided before they hired a GM, so these things fall squarely on KOC. Also, the draft obviously.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Aggies7 said:

I don’t forget and I was definitely pounding the table questioning if darnold’s season was all a fraud. 
 

But man, not keeping either of the guys you had in house and going all in on this guy you can’t even stand to be your THIRD quarterback is a crazy turnaround in 18ish months 

And these issues are all framed differently for all of us. I think a lot of this stems from our various ideas on how we enjoy this team and our midseason debates about tanking vs going all in.

I'm good taking a purposeful step back if it gives the team a chance at being better in the long run. But others want them to put the best team on the field every year and play for this year because next isn't promised.

Obviously I'm partial to my prerogative, but I completely understand the other side too.

Posted
1 hour ago, nicksaviking said:

Also, with all this QB talk, we're missing the bigger point. As long as Jefferson is out, I'm not sure it matters which below average QB this team runs with.

Then Addisson isn't all that good. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

And these issues are all framed differently for all of us. I think a lot of this stems from our various ideas on how we enjoy this team and our midseason debates about tanking vs going all in.

I'm good taking a purposeful step back if it gives the team a chance at being better in the long run. But others want them to put the best team on the field every year and play for this year because next isn't promised.

Obviously I'm partial to my prerogative, but I completely understand the other side too.

Ditto 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Then Addisson isn't all that good. 

I'd say he's good, but not great. But this offense has hardly any talent, so I don't think it works without an elite WR.

Posted
45 minutes ago, Aggies7 said:

I don’t forget and I was definitely pounding the table questioning if darnold’s season was all a fraud. 
 

But man, not keeping either of the guys you had in house and going all in on this guy you can’t even stand to be your THIRD quarterback is a crazy turnaround in 18ish months 

I'm really thinking that letting Darnold walk was by design and Jones walking caught them off guard

Posted
1 hour ago, nicksaviking said:

I'd say he's good, but not great. But this offense has hardly any talent, so I don't think it works without an elite WR.

They have an elite WR, two good to very good WR, the most expensive TE group, and a supposed top five or ten OL.... This offense supposedly has plenty of talent, except the one position that most matters. 

Posted
2 hours ago, The Great Hambino said:

I'm really thinking that letting Darnold walk was by design and Jones walking caught them off guard

That’s what it appears because we are afraid to plant our flag on a QB for more than a year. Darnold for $35 million is an absolute bargain compared to the QB market as a whole. We should not have been afraid to match or beat the 3 year contract he got from Seattle. 

Old-Timey Member
Posted
10 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

That’s what it appears because we are afraid to plant our flag on a QB for more than a year. Darnold for $35 million is an absolute bargain compared to the QB market as a whole. We should not have been afraid to match or beat the 3 year contract he got from Seattle. 

Especially if they weren’t sure about JJM. Letting two veterans walk for a guy who hadn’t taken a single snap in a meaningful game will go down as an all time decision in the organization’s history. Number ten pick got ten games to prove himself before being shipped out. Gotta wonder where that ranks on the all time quickest plug pulls in nfl history. Would have liked to keep him as insurance. What exactly was the harm?

Posted
Just now, Aggies7 said:

Gotta wonder where that ranks on the all time quickest plug pulls in nfl history. Would have liked to keep him as insurance.

There was a tweet about this I saw earlier today. Idk what their filter was on time, but McCarthy is now on this list of 3 other 1st round QBs who were released/traded from their original team after 10 or less starts…

Paxton Lynch - DEN

Johnny Manziel - CLE

Trey Lance - SF 

Not exactly elite company for JJM. 

Old-Timey Member
Posted
15 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

There was a tweet about this I saw earlier today. Idk what their filter was on time, but McCarthy is now on this list of 3 other 1st round QBs who were released/traded from their original team after 10 or less starts…

Paxton Lynch - DEN

Johnny Manziel - CLE

Trey Lance - SF 

Not exactly elite company for JJM. 

Lance got 4 starts and went 2-2

Lynch 1-3

manziel 2-6

JJM 6-4

😬 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Aggies7 said:

Lance got 4 starts and went 2-2

Lynch 1-3

manziel 2-6

JJM 6-4

😬

I would bet if we expanded the scope of starts to 16 games or less, since that was the traditional number of games, the list is far worse…

My first thought was Josh Rosen who went 3-13 in 16 career starts. Your boy Nick Mullens is 5-15 in 20 career starts 

Posted

Apparently Jim Harbaugh helped sell his brother on acquiring JJ.  So he loves him, but not enough to acquire him himself.  And their backup is Trey Lance.  I don't think the Vikings are going to regret this trade

Posted
4 hours ago, Parfigliano said:

Everybody talking KOC why not lookin Kwesi direction?

I don't believe that pick is made withot KOC pushing that he wants that QB.  Kwesi created enough draft problems, the QB is on KOC IMO.

Posted
Just now, TheLeviathan said:

I don't believe that pick is made withot KOC pushing that he wants that QB.  Kwesi created enough draft problems, the QB is on KOC IMO.

Also, kwesi is already gone.... But koc had to approve that pick. And he has shown zero ability to develop a rookie...

Posted
4 hours ago, Danchat said:

KOC thinks he can coach up any QB to play his system, when it's turning out he needs very specific fits. It would be one thing if JJM was an outlier, but it sure looks like Murray - of whom he handpicked to come play here over every other option - is also just not a fit whatsoever.

The reports I believe stated that Kevin really wanted Jones back as he'd be within the team's budget and they made a similar offer to the Colts. He kicked the tires on Rodgers, but evidently there wasn't enough interest to sign him (Rodgers probably didn't want to compete with JJM). Kwesi engineered the Howell trade and from Day 1 KOC wasn't interested in him... who by the way was nearly perfect this preseason and won the Cowboys backup job, whereas he was unplayable in our preseason games.

I think Kevin rewatched the last two games of 2025 and figured they needed to upgrade the iOL and go with his QB prospect behind an upgraded OL and elite WRs, over spending their FA money on bringing back the same QB who struggled in those two games with the entire offense on his back. And then this offseason KOC finally seems like he's going to implement a heavy run game bringing in Frank Smith and drafting the highest FB in 15 years... just to abandon that plan vs the Bucs and go heavy into the pass and deep, one of Kyler's highest aDOT games of all time. Just like with JJM. Kyler's bread and butter is the short game, and that's not what KOC wants to do.

Their roster choices confound me.  I'm pretty happy they have switched to a heavier run game with multiple TEs on the field.  But then how do you make Aaron Jones your main back?  And have your third guy be a dude like Claiborne?  

Why do we invest a pick in Felton at all?  Golday isn't seeing the field - and I like him a lot - but that pick would've been better used elsewhere.

I really hope the new guy cleans up some of this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...