Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Relief pitcher Jovani Moran called up


wabene
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Danchat said:

It's about darn time... we've seen more than their share of AAAA filler guys in the pen, so why not give an actual prospect a chance? I suspect he won't be part of the Opening Day pen in 2022, but he's a guy you have to hope will make an impact on next year's club at some point.

Echo your comments as I..(and many others like you) have been calling for his promotion for several weeks.  Had the pleasure of seeing Moran pitch in person---June home game against Springfield.  He closed out the game with a shutout inning showing command of a 94mph fastball combined with a filthy changeup.  Need another productive and reliable LH arm in pen next year.  I'd take him right now over Coulombe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2021 at 5:33 PM, Brock Beauchamp said:

About time. The bullpen has actually been kinda decent since the deadline but still, he could have replaced any number of guys several weeks ago. 

The Twins bullpen has actually been the best in MLB since the deadline (11-0, 3.20 ERA, #1 in WPA, #3 in ERA). But I'm glad Moran is finally getting a shot and hope he provides more hope for the 2022 season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chpettit19 said:

The Twins bullpen has actually been the best in MLB since the deadline (11-0, 3.20 ERA, #1 in WPA, #3 in ERA). But I'm glad Moran is finally getting a shot and hope he provides more hope for the 2022 season.

I know they've been good but I don't think a lot of that is sustainable, which is why I would have spent very little time worrying about dropping a guy and calling up Moran.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I know they've been good but I don't think a lot of that is sustainable, which is why I would have spent very little time worrying about dropping a guy and calling up Moran.

Agreed in general that much of it isn't sustainable, but I don't blame them for not sending someone down when they're actually performing well. I think they're doing pretty well cycling arms through right now and getting some young guys innings. Wouldn't have been mad if they made the move earlier, but I don't think there's anything egregious about how the last couple months have been handled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chpettit19 said:

Agreed in general that much of it isn't sustainable, but I don't blame them for not sending someone down when they're actually performing well. I think they're doing pretty well cycling arms through right now and getting some young guys innings. Wouldn't have been mad if they made the move earlier, but I don't think there's anything egregious about how the last couple months have been handled.

Not egregious, no, but I would have liked to see them move more quickly. Moran is likely a key component to the 2022 season. I can't say the same for a handful of other guys that have been on the roster in the past two months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Not egregious, no, but I would have liked to see them move more quickly. Moran is likely a key component to the 2022 season. I can't say the same for a handful of other guys that have been on the roster in the past two months.

Don't know if I agree that Moran is "likely a key component to the 2022 season." I think if they're truly trying to contend he's in the running for the lefty mid-relief role, but nothing more than that. And while you certainly want quality people in that role, I wouldn't call it key. If they're planning on running him out there in high leverage situations next year I agree they should've move quicker, but I'll be upset if they go into 2022 with Moran in a place to get anything more than middle inning appearances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, chpettit19 said:

Don't know if I agree that Moran is "likely a key component to the 2022 season." I think if they're truly trying to contend he's in the running for the lefty mid-relief role, but nothing more than that. And while you certainly want quality people in that role, I wouldn't call it key. If they're planning on running him out there in high leverage situations next year I agree they should've move quicker, but I'll be upset if they go into 2022 with Moran in a place to get anything more than middle inning appearances.

Oh, I agree, I'm speaking from the position of "every single person in the bullpen is in a key role" because the bullpen needs so many quality arms going into next season.

I don't expect Moran to step into the eighth inning on Opening Day but given how shaky the bullpen has been this season, how few reliable arms are returning, and how many injuries we've seen in pitching, he could easily be thrust into a more important role within a few weeks of Opening Day.

In my eyes, pretty much everyone who isn't literally the last guy in the pen is a key pitcher for 2022.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Oh, I agree, I'm speaking from the position of "every single person in the bullpen is in a key role" because the bullpen needs so many quality arms going into next season.

I don't expect Moran to step into the eighth inning on Opening Day but given how shaky the bullpen has been this season, how few reliable arms are returning, and how many injuries we've seen in pitching, he could easily be thrust into a more important role within a few weeks of Opening Day.

In my eyes, pretty much everyone who isn't literally the last guy in the pen is a key pitcher for 2022.

Fair enough. I don't think TD is ready for this conversation yet, but I think we should all start preparing ourselves for the return of Alexander Colome in 2022. My bet right now is that he's on the opening day roster for the Minnesota Twins. Does that give you better feelings about the shape of the 2022 pen? 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

Fair enough. I don't think TD is ready for this conversation yet, but I think we should all start preparing ourselves for the return of Alexander Colome in 2022. My bet right now is that he's on the opening day roster for the Minnesota Twins. Does that give you better feelings about the shape of the 2022 pen? 😄

I disagree. It'd just be foolish to bring back Colome. Not because I don't expect him to be an adequate pitcher but because "why?" A guy with that skillset is eminently replaceable in free agency, go sign one of the many pitchers who aren't tainted in the eyes of the fanbase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I disagree. It'd just be foolish to bring back Colome. Not because I don't expect him to be an adequate pitcher but because "why?" A guy with that skillset is eminently replaceable in free agency, go sign one of the many pitchers who aren't tainted in the eyes of the fanbase.

I think the FO, and probably Rocco, see him as better than many of us see him. Since his abysmal April he's been exactly what the Twins expected him to be. I don't think they'll pick up his option, but I think they'll have a conversation around bringing him back at a lower price. He'll see if he can get more elsewhere, but I think the Twins think he can be a late inning option next year. I'd be far more surprised by them going out and spending 12+ million on a big name reliever than in them bringing him back for another year. Certainly not guaranteeing anything, but my bet would be that they offer him a contract to return next year. If they cared about how the fans felt about him they would have moved on from him months ago, and certainly wouldn't be using him as their closer. For that matter, they would've called Moran up months ago, and would never call up any of the veteran retreads they've been bringing through for months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I think the FO, and probably Rocco, see him as better than many of us see him. Since his abysmal April he's been exactly what the Twins expected him to be. I don't think they'll pick up his option, but I think they'll have a conversation around bringing him back at a lower price. He'll see if he can get more elsewhere, but I think the Twins think he can be a late inning option next year. I'd be far more surprised by them going out and spending 12+ million on a big name reliever than in them bringing him back for another year. Certainly not guaranteeing anything, but my bet would be that they offer him a contract to return next year. If they cared about how the fans felt about him they would have moved on from him months ago, and certainly wouldn't be using him as their closer. For that matter, they would've called Moran up months ago, and would never call up any of the veteran retreads they've been bringing through for months.

I suspect you are right.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a little better control, a little more consistency in his slider to keep getting LH out, he has a real chance to be a quality BP piece. I agree that I'm not pencilling him to start  2022 in the pen, but I can see him being quite valuable when brought up a month or so in and allowed to handle middle innings initially. 

I do think there is a real chance someone like Coulombe, Thorpe or Smeltzer could make the initial roster, giving us 3 LHRP to begin the year. Now, I'm not necessarily saying all or any of those guys are protected on the initial 40 man roster...maybe none...but I have doubts as to all of them going elsewhere either. So between protected or invited, I see the potential of a 3rd LH breaking with the team and Moran coming up later.

But, I'd be very happy if he worked hard this offseason, had a great ST, and the Twins just went with him.

I have a real conflict in regard to Colome, and not because he blew the Yankee game today. Ugh! Since June he's been about as good and reliable as he's ever been. He's pretty much been the guy we THOUGHT we were signing. Whether his option was picked up, or signed to a smaller deal, I can't argue too hard about having him back as a veteran arm. Not sure fan backlash is real. If he pitched in 2022 like he has been, like he has before, I think fan "forgiveness" would happen. But I also agree that maybe it's just time to move on and he could be replaced.

I sort of disagree the Twins need a "closer". I think they need a RHRP to team with a HOPEFULLY 100% Rogers as a FIREMAN of equal ability. I think we've learned that a traditional closer role isn't necessarily as import as a high leverage fireman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2021 at 5:10 PM, wabene said:

Well I guess this FO aren't complete morons after all. 

Gleeman tweeted that the Twins called up Moran (pronounced moron)!

 

As a clarification, I don't think it's actually pronounced "moron." Same vowel sounds, but emphasis on the second syllable rather than the first. I believe it's pronounced "mo-RAHn," not "mOHR-on" (like moron). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Possumlad said:

As a clarification, I don't think it's actually pronounced "moron." Same vowel sounds, but emphasis on the second syllable rather than the first. I believe it's pronounced "mo-RAHn," not "mOHR-on" (like moron). 

maxresdefault.jpg

"Mor'an this breaking story, at 11."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

Featured Video

×
×
  • Create New...