• Create Account

Game Thread Twins @ Cardinals 6:10pm cdt 7/31/2021 ad

What was Louis saint of? If i had to guess, my first one would be the Blues, but that would be another sport, so i'm probably wrong, especially as cardinals are not blue. And they have pointy heads (some say those are hats, but i am not so sure.)

But then i remember a song from my childhood, which i am pretty sure was part of a rich oral tradition passing down history that otherwise would have been forgotten, and lo and behold, the internet has the song!

Of course we all know what Paul is Saint of, how he persecuted Minnesotans until Babe Ruth appeared to him in the form of a big blue ox, and he became a lumberjack, and he was okay, making bats that can take the ball out to all fields.

I am pretty sure Minny is the patron saint of pitching to contact, but that is hard gospel to preach, and has yet to be recognized as canon. Some even demonize it as relying on craftiness more than straight honest dealing, associating more the works of Loki, Hermes, or Puck... ol' Robin Goodfellow.

Anyway, that is all ancient history, which some may not credit.

Currently the Twins season leaves something to be desired, and i sure am gonna miss Berrios!

I'm verklempt... Talk amongst yourselves!

Twins

1. Max Kepler (L) CF

2. Brent Rooker (R) LF

3. Jorge Polanco (S) 2B

4. Luis Arraez (L) 3B

5. Miguel Sano (R) 1B

6. Trevor Larnach (L) RF

7. Ryan Jeffers (R) C

8. Andrelton Simmons (R) SS

9. Bailey Ober (R) P

Cardinals

1. Dylan Carlson (S) RF

2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B

3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B

4. Tyler O'Neill (R) LF

5. Yadier Molina (R) C

6. Harrison Bader (R) CF

7. Tommy Edman (S) 2B

8. Paul DeJong (R) SS

9. Jake Woodford (R) P

2 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

Mega likes for the Allan Sherman reference!

Spent more of the subsequent afternoon than i care to admit down an Allen Sherman online rabbit hole, particularly records i never had as a kid...

This is Ober's ELEVENTH start for the big club??? I thought I was paying attention. Would have sworn they were giving him a second look-see today.

5 minutes ago, Steve71 said:

I like this national broadcast duo.  Some fresh comments on our players is a breath of fresh air.

Who are they? The color guy seems to speak with authority about pitching. Or maybe he just knows a different set of buzzwords.

/ edit - OK, the second guy just referred to the PbP as "Len".

Wait, Len Kasper and A.J. Pierzynski, perhaps? Buckle up, fans, could be an enjoyably unpredictable ride!

/ edit - nope, Tom. Must be Tom Verducci, not AJ. That's OK, he's fine to listen to.

10 minutes ago, ashbury said:

This is Ober's ELEVENTH start for the big club??? I thought I was paying attention. Would have sworn they were giving him a second look-see today.

Maeda and Pineda spent time on IL.

They have been extra protective of Ober, so he is lucky to make it through 5.

I think he set a record for fewest decisions in first 10 games, or something

6 minutes ago, ashbury said:

Wait, Len Kasper and A.J. Pierzynski, perhaps? Buckle up, fans, could be an enjoyably unpredictable ride!

/ edit - nope, Tom Verducci, not AJ. That's OK, he's fine to listen to.

I was fortuitous enough to catch a play off game he commentated a while back. His partner asked him how he noticed some fine detail, and he just said he was paying attention.

Featured Video