Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted

I wanted to start a topic and get opinions on Joe Ryan, mostly because of what Bobby Nightengale shared earlier. Bobby stated that BECAUSE the Twins have 4 starters who are all (at this point) only signed through 2027, one of them most likely is going to be traded. Personally, between Pablo, Ryan, Ober and Kremer, I could see 2 of them even not back next year. 

With that, my question specifically regarding Joe Ryan. Let's say the Twins KNOW he isn't going to be extended. I'd argue he has pretty neutral value after finishing the season with a couple of ok starts, compared to what he looked like for all of August.

So, let's say hypothetically they were NOT looking specifically for a package of prospects that are in high A and won't be ready until 2029. Let's say they want a package of player or players that specifically could be ready even for opening day 2027. And for THIS exercise, let's say it's primarily one player coming back who for sure will be on the opening day roster.

My thoughts process here is, can they get a young hitter that would be part of their core (so to speak) in a deal for Joe Ryan. Maybe it's even someone that another team isn't in love with and/or is blocked. 

For example, would a deal with the Red Sox were going to offer something like Triston Casas or Kristian Campbell interest anyone? I'm NOT saying they are who I would target, but that's the type of player as far as age range and veteran status I'm thinking of for this post. Possibly someone who can be a catcher or 1B or 2B, or even SS, who is ready to step in now, not years from now.

 

Alright, long winded answer, who ya got? 

Posted
Just now, wesnewy said:

his trade value is probably at his lowest since he was a prospect right now. the book is now out on his second half slumps

Yes, that could be. I'd still argue his value is higher than Ober or Kremer. And I don't see them trading Pablo.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Cory Engelhardt said:

Ok, for example, Milwaukee. If they offered a deal that started with catching prospect Jeferson Quero, I don't know what else would be added, but I'd be intrigued.

I'd be shocked. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Them offering Quero. 

See, is he even their best catching prospect at this point?

I know there are some rumors that Milwaukee could trade Contreras this offseason to get more prospect capital. I'm just not THAT certain that Quero is who is next in line there.

Posted

I think this is a terrible offseason to be dealing someone with one year of control remaining.  What are teams going to be willing to give up given the uncertainty?  

Having said that, if they do trade him, I hope they focus on max value over need.  In the offseason, there's more time to wheel and deal so you have more time to take the best offer even if it isn't an immediate need; you can simply flip the valuable piece for what you need in a subsequent trade.  It doesn't have to be a direct swap.

As for the four starters with one year of control remaining, I'd peg Pablo as the most likely to return and Ober as the most likely to be gone

Posted
58 minutes ago, The Great Hambino said:

I think this is a terrible offseason to be dealing someone with one year of control remaining.  What are teams going to be willing to give up given the uncertainty?  

Having said that, if they do trade him, I hope they focus on max value over need.  In the offseason, there's more time to wheel and deal so you have more time to take the best offer even if it isn't an immediate need; you can simply flip the valuable piece for what you need in a subsequent trade.  It doesn't have to be a direct swap.

As for the four starters with one year of control remaining, I'd peg Pablo as the most likely to return and Ober as the most likely to be gone

Yeah if he is traded, I have to think the Twins think they got the right value back, right?

And front offices have to act as if they were having a season next year, in many ways. 

I know the Brewers got Joey Ortiz and DL Hall for Corbin Burnes. I think he had quite a bit more value than Ryan does today, but I wanted to start this thread mostly to ask who our Joey Ortiz would be in this scenario.

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...