Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Trade Glen Perkins

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:45 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...de-Glen-Perkins
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#2 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 906 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

Great post. The idea does make sense. They aren't going to get much for the veteran players with expiring contracts.

#3 SurroundedByTigers

SurroundedByTigers

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

I can create a scenario next year where a lot of pieces fall into place for Twins, like May, Meyer, Berrios in starting rotation, and Sano, Buxton filling out lineup next year and contributing, if not starrring, along with a few more players raising their game a notch. So with that scenario, Perkins becomes very, very important player closing games. Sorry - trading Perkins is a bad idea.

Edited by John Bonnes, 22 July 2014 - 06:24 AM.
Keep things civil

#4 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

I couldn't disagree more. Whether this is a 90 loss or 90 win season, fans love the idea that if the Twins have a chance to win a game, Perkins can come in and close it. This puts hope in our hearts and butts in the seats. Trading Perkins would send a terrible message to Twins fans everywhere.

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

I think, for good or for bad, Perk is here for the long haul.

#6 Boone

Boone

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

I could not agree with the article more. What it boils down to is this: by the time we are legitimate World Series contenders, Perkins will be a free agent, past his prime, and we should have other viable options to close games. To maximize Perkins's value to the team-- from a win-loss perspective-- he should be traded.

#7 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

I wouldn't trade him.

He agreed to a very team friendly long term deal in order to stay in Minnesota. He is signed under very good terms until potentially 2018, when the Twins very much should be world series contenders by then. (I think they compete in 2015 and have a big run from 2015-2018)

Unless the return is insane (top flight SS or ace type pitcher) I think you absolutely hold onto him. Trading him the same year after he took a team friendly deal in order to stay in Minnesota would look really bad on the org and could hurt them on signing such deals in the future. Glen clearly likes/wants to be here, the Twins clearly like having him on the club. Just keep him. The farm system is deep enough, at some point you need talent on the major league roster as well otherwise you turn into the 1990-2012 version of the KC Royals.

Edited by SpiritofVodkaDave, 22 July 2014 - 07:04 AM.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#8 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

The Twins should sell from surplus to solve deficiencies. Which relief pitcher, here or in Rochester or New Britain, has Perkin's ceiling? We don't have a surplus of this caliber of reliever.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

I don't see a large value difference between Perkins today and Perkins 16 months from now, provided he stays healthy.

I say hold on to Perkins until more information is available. If the Twins magically compete next season (or show signs they will compete in 2016), they'll regret having traded their best reliever, a Minnesota native under a team-friendly contract.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

The Twins should sell from surplus to solve deficiencies.

Agreed. Opening one hole to fill another seems foolish to me, even if I think closers are ridiculously overrated.

Which relief pitcher, here or in Rochester or New Britain, has Perkin's ceiling? We don't have a surplus of this caliber of reliever.

Nick Burdi comes to mind... But having Burdi in the eighth and Perkins in the ninth makes for a shut-down bullpen.

#11 beyondclarity

beyondclarity

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

I'm firmly on the fence here...I believe the turnaround will be faster than you believe, but at the same time I totally understand the value here. Considering this is really a non-talker (since it will never happen). I'll just stay right where I am on this one. ;)

#12 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

You want to give Gardy a heart attack? No proven closer?

#13 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

I can see where it makes some sense but I think there is also a loyalty issue here. Perkins signed that team friendly extension and I believe he most definitely took a home town discount. To trade that guy in the first year of said extension seems like sort of a shady move. May it make baseball sense? possibly. Gotta remember these guys are more than just trading cards, they have families, etc. Glen is a lucky one in professional sports in that he is good enough to play in his hometown, be a star and raise his family in his home state. I have to think he signed this contract with that in perspective.

What would a Glen Perkins trade net? Would it save the franchise? Would it turn everything around? Possible I suppose, Do we trade Phil Hughes too because he won't pitch a meaningful game for the Twins? Brian Dozier is only locked in for four years maybe he should go too?

At some point you need to start keeping your best players and hoping things break right, the Span and Revere trades made a lot of sense as there wasn't really anything to offer hope in the upper minors at that point. Now we have a lot of young guys starting to come up, starting to learn and contribute. My hope is that May, Meyer, Buxton, Sano, Vargo and possibly Rosario and/or Polanco all spend significant time in MLB in 2015 which would put us on track to contend in 2016.

So while I can get the sentiment that it might make sense to trade Perkins, especially if he can net us a pitching prospect with Ace upside that is already in High A/AA. We also have to consider the human element and what message it might send to future free agents/extension candidates if he's traded.

#14 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

Even though I disagree, great post, good topic of conversation.

#15 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

I wouldn't trade him.

He agreed to a very team friendly long term deal in order to stay in Minnesota. He is signed under very good terms until potentially 2018, when the Twins very much should be world series contenders by then. (I think they compete in 2015 and have a big run from 2015-2018)

Unless the return is insane (top flight SS or ace type pitcher) I think you absolutely hold onto him. Trading him the same year after he took a team friendly deal in order to stay in Minnesota would look really bad on the org and could hurt them on signing such deals in the future. Glen clearly likes/wants to be here, the Twins clearly like having him on the club. Just keep him. The farm system is deep enough, at some point you need talent on the major league roster as well otherwise you turn into the 1990-2012 version of the KC Royals.

Great point Dave. He has taken two team friendly deals now. You could argue the last deal was a 30-50% discount. Just out of principal that would be a terrible way to conduct a business.

#16 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

Agreed. Opening one hole to fill another seems foolish to me, even if I think closers are ridiculously overrated.

Nick Burdi comes to mind... But having Burdi in the eighth and Perkins in the ninth makes for a shut-down bullpen.

And if Burdi had performed lights out in AAA for more than a month, trading Perkins would

make a little more sense.

#17 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for all the good comments & discussion.

After I wrote this, something really perplexed me: the 3-team no trade clause. Glen definitely wants to stay for life, and at a very reasonable rate. I'm curious how the parties arrived at that contract term, because it does very little (nothing, really) to protect Perkins. I just thought that was a funny number.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

And if Burdi had performed lights out in AAA for more than a month, trading Perkins would make a little more sense.

That's fair and I'd personally like to see them keep Perkins. However, it does bear saying that relief pitching is frequently one of the most overvalued commodities and the Twins have always been very good at putting bullpens together for cheap.

#19 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,973 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the good comments & discussion.

After I wrote this, something really perplexed me: the 3-team no trade clause. Glen definitely wants to stay for life, and at a very reasonable rate. I'm curious how the parties arrived at that contract term, because it does very little (nothing, really) to protect Perkins. I just thought that was a funny number.

It is a funny number.

But I also wonder about Perkins' absolute confidence that he won't be traded. Just that closer's mentality or is there something else?

#20 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

I do hope they trade Perkins for the reasons you mentioned but they won't. It would be hard to get back equal value.