Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread: Jays (Berríos) v Twins (Ober), 5/28 @ 1:10pm

Verified Member

I wonder if Michael Cuddyer could teach Matt Wallner how to play right field at the home park. Cuddy had every little angle covered, and with his arm he could nail almost anybody trying to stretch a single. Wallner has the same kind of gun, and he's got the same kind of athleticism as Cuddyer did. We've seen Wallner's Cannon just a few times so far. I'd love to see that arm for a full season in right field. 

Also, Wallner is much better than just a two-outcome beast. He showed that he can delay his trigger on an off-speed pitch to stroke an RBI single to right center. The man can handle a stick, and he's not too vain to back off the home run swing.

The Twins right now have quietly assembled a roster of guys that each can do a lot of different things to help the team win. This bodes well.

1 hour ago, LA VIkes Fan said:

Also, does anyone have a stat on pitcher's ERA pitching to Vasquez vs. pitching to Jeffers (or some other stat)? Just curious. 

Baseball-reference.com does.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2023-fielding.shtml#all_players_advanced_fielding_c

It says Vazquez's ERA is 3.54. Jeffers's is 3.33.

The last time I remember reading anything about CERA, it was that it's too unreliable to put much weight into.  Certain pitchers have designated catchers, the mix of the starting rotation with the team's catchers isn't uniform, catchers come and go from the roster, leading to small samples, and so on.  CERA tends to fluctuate from year to year enough that a good result one season may not be repeatable.  But what research I know of is old.  Probably there is some meaning inside the raw data, but my assessment is there's too much noise to reliably sift it out.

But, for what little (IMO) it's worth, there you have it. Our two catchers are remarkably even in this regard. I don't necessarily believe it.

36 minutes ago, ashbury said:

Remember yesterday when we discussed whether to let Pablo Lopez continue his start after giving up some early runs?

Well, those incompetents running Tampa Bay have let their starter go 6 full innings today, giving up 10 runs (8 earned) in that span - runs given up every inning except the first and fourth. :)

11-10 tampa in the 8th 

35 minutes ago, ashbury said:

Remember yesterday when we discussed whether to let Pablo Lopez continue his start after giving up some early runs?

Well, those incompetents running Tampa Bay have let their starter go 6 full innings today, giving up 10 runs (8 earned) in that span - runs given up every inning except the first and fourth. :)

It’s the underrated part of a really good pitcher. Things go all to hell but somehow still go 5-6 innings with 4-5 runs and minimize damage to the game and bullpen. Ten runs might be a bit much but the bullpen will thank him.  

11 minutes ago, Jocko87 said:

It’s the underrated part of a really good pitcher. Things go all to hell but somehow still go 5-6 innings with 4-5 runs and minimize damage to the game and bullpen. Ten runs might be a bit much but the bullpen will thank him.  

And Tampa right now might be odds-on to win this debacle after all.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Twins community on the internet.