Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Kevin Correia?

darin617

I just read that the Twins are close to signing Kevin Correia to a 2 yr deal.I hope the second yr is a club option. I feel I would rather have Brett Myers than Correia. Bad choice Mr Ryan, now go sign Edwin Jackson so we can be done with the starting rotation.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read that the Twins are close to signing Kevin Correia to a 2 yr deal.I hope the second yr is a club option. I feel I would rather have Brett Myers than Correia. Bad choice Mr Ryan, now go sign Edwin Jackson so we can be done with the starting rotation.

I'm curious to see the figures. If it's less than half (or around half) of what Blanton signed for... I can take it.

2 years 10 million. He is Nick Blackburn. I had the guy on my fantasy team the year he had a sub 4 era in San Diego. He was a pitcher built for San Diego where the ball doesn't fly. I'm not a big fan of this move either

With the heat down in San Diego, the ball travels better than it does back here. Not a great move by the Twins, but one they clearly needed to make.

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Twins have agreed to a two-year, $10 million deal with Kevin Correia.

The 32-year-old right-hander posted an underwhelming 4.21 ERA and 1.30 WHIP in 171 innings this past summer for the Pirates but should get a nice boost in fantasy value with the move to the more pitcher-friendly confines of Target Field. Correia also drew serious free agent interest this offseason from the Rockies, Orioles, Brewers, Royals and at least one team from Japan.

Related: Twins

Source: Jerry Crasnick on Twitte

Meh. 2013 looks like a punt more and more. Hopefully, the guy becomes a tradeable asset because the contract isn't that bad.

So you defended the take that Baker was overpaid at 5.5M for one year and now defend 2yrs and 10M to Marquis Part II as not too bad?

You call what I said a defense?

My problem with the Baker deal was that there was NO second year. The amount paid was not the issue.

Jon Heyman says deal is done. I'm less than impressed with this signing though it doesn't surprise me. As Aaron Gleeman noted, Correia has the lowest strikeout rate among right-handed pitchers since 2011. Typical pitch-to-contact Twins pitcher.

They might as well just let Blackburn pitch instead of adding another Blackburn for the same goddamn money that Blackburn is making.

proven big league pitcher, pitches to contact, target field big park. inning eater, healthy. worth every bit of 5 million. on another note james shileds was not worth giving up a top prospect meyers is. does kc really think they are playoff contenders. doubtful.

Correia isn't the best choice out there but he isn't awful. If you compare him to Blanton and McCarthy he has the worst K/9 and BB/9 but his GB% is best of the three.

[TABLE=width: 960]

[TD=class: xl65, width: 64]Season[/TD]

[TD=class: xl65, width: 64]Team[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]W[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]L[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]G[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]GS[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]IP[/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 64]K/9[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]BB/9[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]HR/9[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]GB%[/TD]

[TD=class: xl67, width: 64]ERA[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]FIP[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]xFIP[/TD]

[TD=class: xl66, width: 64]WAR[/TD]

[TD=class: xl68]Correira[/TD]

[TD=class: xl69]Pirates[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]12[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]11[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]32[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]28[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]171[/TD]

[TD=class: xl71]4.68[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]2.42[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]1.05[/TD]

[TD=class: xl72]51.20%[/TD]

[TD=class: xl71]4.21[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]4.43[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]4.34[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]0.9[/TD]

[TD=class: xl68]Blanton[/TD]

[TD=class: xl73]2 Teams[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]10[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]13[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]31[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]30[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]191[/TD]

[TD=class: xl71]7.82[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]1.6[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]1.37[/TD]

[TD=class: xl72]44.60%[/TD]

[TD=class: xl71]4.71[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]3.91[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]3.39[/TD]

[TD=class: xl70]2.4[/TD]

[TD=class: xl74]McCarthy[/TD]

[TD=class: xl75]Athletics[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]8[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]6[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]18[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]18[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]111[/TD]

[TD=class: xl77]5.92[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]1.95[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]0.81[/TD]

[TD=class: xl78]40.50%[/TD]

[TD=class: xl77]3.24[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]3.76[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]4.23[/TD]

[TD=class: xl76]1.8[/TD]

[/TABLE]

2 years 10 million. He is Nick Blackburn. I had the guy on my fantasy team the year he had a sub 4 era in San Diego. He was a pitcher built for San Diego where the ball doesn't fly. I'm not a big fan of this move either

With the heat down in San Diego, the ball travels better than it does back here. Not a great move by the Twins, but one they clearly needed to make.

Petco was 26th in runs allowed where Target Field was 10th in 2012, in 2011 Target Field was 21st but Petco was 28th, in 2010 Target Field 19th while Petco was 26th. Petco

]You call what I said a defense?

My problem with the Baker deal was that there was NO second year. The amount paid was not the issue.

Someone said "5.5 guaranteed is excessive" I can post more if you can't remember what you said.

Many on this board were borderline laughing at the Cubs for overspending on Feldman and Baker. We guaranteed Correia almost as much money as they did for both of those players. Or as one high and mighty poster said here....25% of our available FA money for this year plus a guaranteed chunk for next year.

Petco was 26th in runs allowed where Target Field was 10th in 2012, in 2011 Target Field was 21st but Petco was 28th, in 2010 Target Field 19th while Petco was 26th. Petco

Yeah... but Twins pitchers play at target field...

This probably won't be considered a decent move ever but I'm rather indifferent. He's a guy that can hold down the #4/5 spot hopefully. the important thing this offseason is getting the #2/3 starter that at least gives the team some resemblance of a starting rotation.

My initial thought is I wonder if the Twins are really struggling to get anyone to sign here unless they really overpay. This isn't a fantasy baseball auction and these signings don't happen in a vacuum. If I was a free agent and had a couple of options at similar money I would think the Twins would be about last on the list.

This probably won't be considered a decent move ever but I'm rather indifferent. He's a guy that can hold down the #4/5 spot hopefully. the important thing this offseason is getting the #2/3 starter that at least gives the team some resemblance of a starting rotation.

But... Correia IS the 2/3 starter ;)

]You call what I said a defense?

Someone said "5.5 guaranteed is excessive" I can post more if you can't remember what you said.

Many on this board were borderline laughing at the Cubs for overspending on Feldman and Baker. We guaranteed Correia almost as much money as they did for both of those players. Or as one high and mighty poster said here....25% of our available FA money for this year plus a guaranteed chunk for next year.

As always, you are the master of context.

This is what I said:

The Cubs must think he'll have some trade value by midseason, otherwise I don't really get it from their end. 5.5 guaranteed is excessive. The lack of option years is troubling. If this is the deal the Twins gave Baker, I'd hoped we'd be pretty upset.

I'm so out of line.

To clarify, I hope that Correia pitches well enough to have trade value (either at midseason or offseason), just as I assumed that the Cubs signed Baker for a midseason deal. That's not an inconsistency, Levi.

I'm still not sure how much good that Baker deal does the Twins though, because I think he might take a minute to get back to productivity.

My initial thought is I wonder if the Twins are really struggling to get anyone to sign here unless they really overpay. This isn't a fantasy baseball auction and these signings don't happen in a vacuum. If I was a free agent and had a couple of options at similar money I would think the Twins would be about last on the list.

I think you might be onto something, given the similar narrative coming out of Cleveland.