Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Rule 5 Potential P Prospects

Steve71

Apparently, the Twins need some pitching next season.  Here are some options of players eligible for the (presumably) future Rule 5 Draft, whenever that is held:

Daysbel Hernandez, Braves

Robinson Pina LAA

Garrett Hill Rangers

Tim Cate Nat's

Tahnaj Thomas Pirates

Tommy Doyle Rockies

Shawn Semple NYY

Brady Feigl A's

Manuel Alvarez Guardians

Joey Murray Toronto

Thoughts?  Seems more likely the Twins might take a P vs. a SS in an eventual Rule 5 draft.

Thanks Steve for coming up with these names. I think they are worth looking into. W/o knowing anything about these pitchers but knowing about these teams eye for talented pitcher prospects, I'd 1st look at Daysbel Hernandez, Braves; Tahnaj Thomas, Pirates; Brady Feigl A's; Manuel Alvarez, Guardians;

3 hours ago, Steve71 said:

Apparently, the Twins need some pitching next season.  Here are some options of players eligible for the (presumably) future Rule 5 Draft, whenever that is held:

Daysbel Hernandez, Braves

Robinson Pina LAA

Garrett Hill Rangers

Tim Cate Nat's

Tahnaj Thomas Pirates

Tommy Doyle Rockies

Shawn Semple NYY

Brady Feigl A's

Manuel Alvarez Guardians

Joey Murray Toronto

Thoughts?  Seems more likely the Twins might take a P vs. a SS in an eventual Rule 5 draft.

I can see the Twins going after any of these guys, they all have something the Twins like. I have my preferences, which I don't really like pitch to contact guys, which for me eliminates:

Cate - A 1.32 WHIP but K's less than one (1) per 9. Although he's the only lefty on the list.

Doyle - Had just two innings to go off of last year and they weren't good, but the Rockies pick good pitchers.

Feigl - Again a 1.29 WHIP, but K's less than one (1) per 9

Murray - Not a bad player but coming off an injury that saddled him May and wasn't activated again until October.

Again, just personal preference, but I'd love to see:

Hernandez, Pina and Hill

Wait. I have heard that our pitching pipeline is full to overflowing. Why would we take these guys?  

Seriously this FO does not have a good track record with any aspect of the rule 5 draft. Just sit tight and don’t out smart yourself. 

I think Semple is my favorite, at least after looking them up on Baseball-Reference. Semple had a very good stretch at AA in 2021 with a very strong K/BB ratio, not to mention he had already gotten some AA/AAA experience in 2019. He is 26, but potentially ready for a chance. 

If they end up signing for a couple relievers, I'd be fine not making a pick, but if they're going to have the likes of Cotton and Garza fight for the last bullpen spot, they might as well take a flier on a guy like Semple.

3 hours ago, C_frommn said:

I personally like looking at he SS position more then the pitchers. theres a reason they are unprotected. Plus if you do not keep them on your 40 man roster they go back to their Original team.

you need to keep them on your 26 man roster for the full year. SS or Pitcher, there's a reason for leaving a player unprotected. I don't believe the Twins can take a developmental pitcher (or hitter) in the rule 5. They Twins can't afford to have any players on the 26 man roster who are not active regular contributors.

A super utility guy who never plays because he needs to develop more as a hitter, or a pitcher who needs to fine tune his offspeed offerings is one fewer player who can provide value.

A pitcher who has mix/repertoire issues can be "fixed" on-the-fly by tweaking the pitch selection. If you can identify one of those types in the rule 5, the Twins can afford to have alot of long relievers who only throw a couple good pitches. Many teams may look at these types as not having enough velocity to be a reliever, not having 3-4 good pitches to be a starter and they don't have enough 40 man space to carry another swing man. The Twins might need/have 6 swing men for most of the season and rule 5 could be a good avenue to let their up and comers develop in AA/AAA.   

Ultimately, if a starter, are they better than Jax or Thorpe, in need of a major league job more than barnes of Smeltzer, and show more promise that Strotman. In the bulpen, are they better than Minaya or Coulombe, both of whom the Twins could've kept.

At this point you are looking for someone who can contribute better than any other minor league arm for 2022, and are they deserving of staying in the organization after that.