Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Why an Elvis Andrus Trade Will Solve All of the Twins' Problems (Almost)

Elvis Andrus Trade  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Minnesota Twins Trade for Elvis Andrus?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I would like to read a little more before I make a decision

Doc Gast, who else would you suggest other than SWR ?  The Value made him the most logical for me, as the other similar value was Canterino and I REALLY like Canterino.  Perhaps a couple of pitchers with a combined value of 8 to 10 instead of SWR?

Brandon, we would never get Montas AND Manaea...BUT, we could get BOTH Bassitt and Manaea instead of Montas.  This would be "quantity" (and pretty decent quality) over the Blue Chip of Montas, who is younger, better and controlled for more than just the 2022 season.  But the idea of BOTH Bassitt and Manaea  IS interesting if Oakland would part with both to get Arraez and SWR back.  In that case, if I'm the Twins FO I'm monitoring how all my young pitchers perform in 2022.  And I'm also measuring what I'm willing to do with Bassitt and Manaea up to the trade deadline and for 2023.  If the Twins are in the thick of it in the A.L. Central (and with Bassitt & Manaea I'm thinking they WOULD be) I'm deciding which of Bassitt or Manaea I want to offer that 3-year $45 million dollar contract to and which one I either trade, or let walk after the 2022 season.  But the key is, I want ONE of those guys in my rotation for 2023 for SURE.  I want the veteran presence and stability going forward with my host of young guns.  In a dream world, the Twins would be building a young pitching staff like the Baltimore Orioles in the early-mid 60's.  Young pitchers like Bunker, Pappas, Barber, McNally and Palmer, but with savvy vets around like Robin Roberts, Dick Hall and Stew Miller.   In every scenario I'm commenting on, I'm operating under the premise that the Twins are going to compete in 2022.  Otherwise, why sign Buxton ?  The "option" Andrus has for 2023 could be troublesome, but if Lewis shows he's ready, there would be a definite pathway to playing Lewis more in the second half of 2022 and Andrus doesn't get the needed AB's to qualify for making it a player option.  Andrus is really nothing more than a decent stop gap until we know what we have (or don't have) at SS.  he's a means to an end to acquire either Montas or both Bassitt & Manaea.  

But I'm interested in what Doc Gast would offer other than SWR.  I hate giving a pitcher with potential like he has up too, but something has to entice Oakland to give us Montas or Bassitt/Manaea in addition to us taking Andrus off their books.

In looking at some of the other comments where we're discussing if not Andrus, then who at SS ?  I'll admit, Andrus is not high on my list of "I want him to be my SS."  He's only a means to acquire solid, veteran pitching, which the Twins desperately need.  That's the ONLY fascination I have with Andrus.  If I'm the Twins FO I'm looking at Adelberto Mondesi from the Royals as a target.  They have Nicky Lopez, a Gold Glove caliber SS as well as Bobby Witt Jr.  Mondesi has TONS of upside potential, but all he's done is disappoint in K.C.  I'd make a run at him.

My other option would be to talk to the Cardinals about Paul DeJong.  He's a solid glove with power who strikes out too much, but it appears he may no longer be in their plans as Sosa beat him out last year and the Cardinals are rumored to be considering Story.  DeJong is only a 4.5 value and the electric arm of Alex Reyes is a 0.0 value.  If I'm the Twins I offer Valimont or Sands for BOTH.  Again, I've solved my SS problem in the short term and I've added an electric arm that seems to have fallen out of favor in St. Louis.  I actually like this deal better as it's far less risky than the Oakland deal.  I'd still probably circle back to the A's for a discussion because I feel Arraez is "their kind of player" and with a value of 27.9 and Bassitt and Manaea having a combined value of 35.5 I'd still like to see what they'd be willing to do.  Imagine a Twins off-season that added a SS like DeJong and an arm like Alex Reyes as well as veteran SP's like Bassitt & Manaea and the biggest assets you parted with would be Arraez, Cole Sands and Valimont.   I'd feel pretty good about that heading into 2022.  

Provisional Member

Paul Dejong of St. Louis would be a much better trade target than Andrus.  Better bat ( low average but decent power) and better defense, too. Starting shortshop for the past 4 years. Makes " only" $6 million this year, $9 million next year.  Would only cost perhap  Rooker or a double AA pitching prospect.  I'd go only after Andrus if we can expand the deal to get one or more of the A's staring pitchers.    

Verified Member

Topgunn has the right idea. Use your minor league players before you end up finally using in the majors after 5 or 6 years. I like his trade it gets us s.s. better than the one we had. And a starter. And we don't pay a minor league player 8 to 10 mill.a year.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:24 PM, tony&rodney said:

Neither Andrus nor Simmons are reasonable options for the Twins, whether they are hoping to compete in 2022 or are  in a rebuild/lose 90+ strategy phase looking to build toward 2025.

Agree.   Simmons is a better overall player than Andrus at this point......which says everything you need to know about this article.  If the purpose to get Andrus is to get an additional player AND taking the Andrus contact off their hands, then lets just say that.   The Twin's, historically, would be on the OTHER side of that equation

On 1/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, TopGunn#22 said:

Brandon, we would never get Montas AND Manaea...BUT, we could get BOTH Bassitt and Manaea instead of Montas.  This would be "quantity" (and pretty decent quality) over the Blue Chip of Montas, who is younger, better and controlled for more than just the 2022 season.  But the idea of BOTH Bassitt and Manaea  IS interesting if Oakland would part with both to get Arraez and SWR back.  In that case, if I'm the Twins FO I'm monitoring how all my young pitchers perform in 2022.  And I'm also measuring what I'm willing to do with Bassitt and Manaea up to the trade deadline and for 2023.  If the Twins are in the thick of it in the A.L. Central (and with Bassitt & Manaea I'm thinking they WOULD be) I'm deciding which of Bassitt or Manaea I want to offer that 3-year $45 million dollar contract to and which one I either trade, or let walk after the 2022 season.  But the key is, I want ONE of those guys in my rotation for 2023 for SURE.  I want the veteran presence and stability going forward with my host of young guns.  In a dream world, the Twins would be building a young pitching staff like the Baltimore Orioles in the early-mid 60's.  Young pitchers like Bunker, Pappas, Barber, McNally and Palmer, but with savvy vets around like Robin Roberts, Dick Hall and Stew Miller.   In every scenario I'm commenting on, I'm operating under the premise that the Twins are going to compete in 2022.  Otherwise, why sign Buxton ?  The "option" Andrus has for 2023 could be troublesome, but if Lewis shows he's ready, there would be a definite pathway to playing Lewis more in the second half of 2022 and Andrus doesn't get the needed AB's to qualify for making it a player option.  Andrus is really nothing more than a decent stop gap until we know what we have (or don't have) at SS.  he's a means to an end to acquire either Montas or both Bassitt & Manaea.  

But I'm interested in what Doc Gast would offer other than SWR.  I hate giving a pitcher with potential like he has up too, but something has to entice Oakland to give us Montas or Bassitt/Manaea in addition to us taking Andrus off their books.

I sure hope they would not trade any assets with long-term value for ANY player controlled for 1 year.  It's not going to happen because it's really bad asset management unless your only goal is to get to 500 in 2022.  

Oakland has the best winning percentage and the most 90 win seasons of any team with below average revenue over the past 20 years.  Why?  Because they understand asset value.  How did Oakland acquire Bassit and Manea.  The traded a rental (Zobrist) for Manea and 1 year of Samardzija for Bassit and by the way the got Marcus Semien in that deal too.  Now, they are going to flip these two so their return for a half year of Zobrist and a year of Samardjia is 6 seasons with Manea and 6 seasns with Bassit and 5 seasons of Marcus Semien.  Plus, whatever they get if they trade them.  Now, that's how you manage assets and produce great results in spite of being among the lowest revenue teams in MLB. 

The fact they would do this should be a good indication we should not!

On 1/14/2022 at 8:40 PM, Buenos_beisbol said:

I think that the Twins will continue to use Nick Gordon in a super utility role.  He has shown potential in the outfield while filling in for Buxton, and Gordon could still get his at bats filling in when guys need a day off.  Hey, who knows, maybe Gordon proves he can hit consistently and you move him into an everyday role.  Keeping him in a utility role to start the season would keep his doors open to where he could slid into every day.  An Andrus trade isn't going to be a move in a competitive direction, but it will help to make sure Lewis and Martin aren't pressed into action too soon.

I think they will use Gordon as super utility as well. My point is if the question is whether to use Gordon or Palacios at SS or trade for known replacement level veteran who costs $7MM in 2022 and will absolutely exercise his player option at $15MM in 2023, I'd propose Gordon or Palacios. Even if Gordon and Palacios play poorly, they're no worse than Andrus, but they cost $21MM less over the next two years.

On 1/14/2022 at 1:04 PM, Old fox said:

I wouldn’t because I want to keep the Simmons- Woods - Richardson as he is very young, & has outstanding skills. I would make the trade Arraez, Dobnik, Sands, Vallimont, Rooker & Thorp for for Montas, Andries

I like Montas because he is 28 yrs. old &with good stats, with 2 yrs. team control. Andrus is 32 yrs. old, his last couple years stats seem to be deteriorating, he being paid out on 8 yr. contract with a player 1 yr extension that could be expensive.  I think there are 3 ss on the FA list Story, Simmons & Ingeles who are equal or better than Andrus. I agree Story would take a long term commitment & big time money.  When I look at the facts of what Twins/Donaldson contract looked like. Then,  look at facts of signing Story for 5-6 yrs at $23m-$25m per year is reasonable. Twins ownership is talking out of both sides of their mouth.