-
Posts
1,959 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
10
Content Type
Profiles
News
Minnesota Twins Videos
2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking
2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
The Minnesota Twins Players Project
2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks
2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by LastOnePicked
-
It seems Falvey/Levine are addicted to trading second basemen. Look out, Julien. Jokes aside, I kinda like this trade. Polanco has been hit with the injury bug pretty regularly recently, and Gonzalez could help offset a SP deal including one of our prominent OF prospects. I hope Polanco has a tremendous year in Seattle. But I like that the FO is willing to take these kinds of calculated risks.
- 336 replies
-
- jorge polanco
- anthony desclafani
- (and 3 more)
-
In Appreciation of the Now
LastOnePicked replied to Matt Braun's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
Uh-oh. TD is already starting to run the "losing-ain't-so-bad," and "we'll-always-have-the-Sonny-Gray-pickoff-play" articles even before Spring Training starts. Can't we have a little chest thumping at the start of the year? Can't we hold out a little hope for a blockbuster-ish trade for a #2 starter? 😀 -
Taking Stock in Center Field
LastOnePicked replied to Cody Pirkl's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
There is not enough wood in the whole of North America to make me feel comfortable starting Buxton in CF again. But I'll knock until my knuckles bleed if that'll help.- 49 replies
-
- byron buxton
- austin martin
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Encouraging update on Buxton
LastOnePicked replied to Major League Ready's topic in Minnesota Twins Talk
I love Buxton. None of this is his fault. But ... we've been here before, gang. Many, many times before. -
It's always amazing what top front offices can do in this game. Sure, there's some luck peppered in, but it usually follows on the heels of good decisions. That's why, more than any single player, I've wanted the Twins to acquire a top-tier front office. What they have now is good, but not outstanding. And they've had enough history here now to make that call.
- 42 replies
-
- delmon young
- matt garza
- (and 4 more)
-
Relax. I suspect Pagan will be available again mid-season.
- 50 replies
-
- emilio pagan
- matt canterino
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Absolutely. I was looking forward to getting all huffy about losing Kiersey. Now what am I going to gripe about?
- 33 replies
-
- rafael marcano
- rafael escalante
- (and 5 more)
-
Is This a Championship Core?
LastOnePicked replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I want to say yes, but they just couldn't get over the hurdle last year. They still seem to be 2-3 players away yet from being a championship-level core. And the core you mentioned has more injury question marks than a Riddler costume. The last four offseasons have been interesting and important, but this one is especially so.- 62 replies
-
- carlos correa
- byron buxton
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
One of your best articles, Nick. Honestly. Even the potential reasons/rationales are well-considered. I'm still kind of hoping for the "under-promise" scenario myself. I seem to recall that they made similar comments at the start of last offseason, and then later Correa was signed. New postseason addict Joe Pohlad could certainly be talked into boosting payroll a bit come February, if a few good deals avail themselves, couldn't he? But we'll see. Maybe this is a new reality. But I think this market is potentially lucrative, and a healthy Royce Lewis could make this a very desirable team to stream.
-
I usually see huge chunks of Twins sky falling , but I really liked this post and I think I agree. It seems like ownership and management have a really good relationship with talent here. That's a big part of the puzzle. Now, it's a matter of making the best moves possible with slightly tighter resources. I can see 2024 being fun regardless of this news.
- 177 replies
-
- sonny gray
- jorge polanco
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
There's a lot of good to say about Baldelli. I'm still left wondering why his teams don't perform in the strongest spotlights, though. Closers have had trouble here. Division leads have often been lost midseason or late season. Twins have often folded in the playoffs under his leadership, despite this year's nice mini-run through the Wild Card series. I mean, I agree with the points made in his favor, but they just can't get over the hump. I did not expect a WS this year, but not getting to Pablo and Game 5 just smacks of all the same old story for this club. They can't make a win happen in crucial situations. Is that managing? Is it roster? Is it something intangible? It's just hard to say. After the WC series win, Baldelli told the crowd that his team had "a lot more to show." They didn't. Was that overconfidence, or just a misread of the Astros strengths/Twins weaknesses? Oh well. Welcome back, Rocco. Let's see what 2024 brings.
- 49 replies
-
- rocco baldelli
- max kepler
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'm glad that you posted this, Mike. This helped ease my anger over losing both of those games at home. Thoughtful explanation of Rocco's moves.
-
Internal Options to Replace Sonny Gray
LastOnePicked replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I think this is the cold splash of reality, yes. It was great he came back for the playoffs, but the last time I took a look at pitchers who tried to come back from two Tommy John surgeries, it wasn't a pretty sight. I'll hope for the best, but a lot of question marks are already piling up on 2024's door.- 51 replies
-
- chris paddack
- bailey ober
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
The Best Case Scenario for Byron Buxton
LastOnePicked replied to Nick Nelson's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I don't think there's a lot of hand-wringing, Nick. Fans seem pretty clear-eyed about the situation. Buxton has never been healthy as an MLB player for any real sustained stretch. There's no reason to believe he will be. When in doubt, the trend is your friend. Mauer had an MVP season. Buxton has merely had two player-of-the-month stretches. I'm sorry if this annoys you, but fans are rightfully looking for replacements on the roster. If there's more there, great, but I certainly don't see any reason whatsoever to count on more from Buxton. -
Are the Twins Closer to a World Series?
LastOnePicked replied to Cody Christie's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
I agree with what others have said: the hitting side of the game just isn't ready yet for a long playoff run. When you make around 50% of your outs without even putting the ball in play, you have little else to do but hope for the long ball. In the playoffs, the pitchers you face are much less likely to make a mistake pitch. 2024 could be rough. They'll likely be missing a #2 starter, and a large segment of the lineup is due for a sophomore slump. The hope is that Correa is healthier, but I think we have to start admitting that Buxton is out of the picture. Are Lewis, Julien and Wallner ready to elevate their game? Can Jeffers sustain his success? Can Kirilloff ever get a clean shot at a healthy season? Because to go further, you're going to need all of them at or near peak performance. I think we're a lot further off from a WS than most fans think at this point. The weaknesses that were exposed in this Astros series may be difficult to fix in just one offseason. Not sure if there's any payroll flexibility either. But, here's hoping that the hunger inspires a strong returning team in 2024.- 40 replies
-
- royce lewis
- matt wallner
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Sorry, just to clarify - a "big boy" team is a team that can reliably return to the postseason and make LCS noise along the way. Didn't happen for the Braves or Dodgers this year, but they've both recently proven they can make it there. The Twins haven't ... yet. That's the mark I'd love to see them reach.
-
The Immediate Aftermath Anger Rankings
LastOnePicked replied to RandBalls Stu's topic in Twins Daily Front Page News
First of all, fun article, Stu. Your what-ifs hurt my heart. As for this comment, I'm not a Rocco "hater" per se, but here are what would likely be a few rebuttals to your defense: 1) He has had the luxury of talented rosters and the highest payrolls of any Twins manager. 2) He also established the longest playoff losing streak in American sports. 3) This was the easiest division in all of MLB during those years. 4) Arguably, some of those changes don't seem to be getting the team very far in the postseason. I think when I'm frustrated with Rocco's Twins, it's when they're favored to win and just can't/don't come through. Not pulling out a single win at home against the Astros really stings. Is that solely his fault? No. Does he bear shared responsibility? Absolutely yes. But he'll be back. We'll all get to continue this debate in due time.- 15 replies
-
- royce lewis
- byron buxton
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I think you're right. The question I'm left with is probably better left for later in the offseason: Can you actually turn this team into a "big boy"? The Royals had two shots in their window of contention and made the most of both of them. Let's see what this version of the Twins can learn from teams who have bounced back hard the next year.
-
I am 50% with you, all the way. Seriously, I'm good on heartbreak. One of these years, I want to watch a Twins team that snaps opponents' necks. I'm curious for 2024, but this series made it clear that, despite some gains, they're still a long ways off from being one of "big boys" in MLB.

