Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

LastOnePicked

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,959
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    10

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by LastOnePicked

  1. I don't know if they're evil or not. It's hard to judge what's in another person's heart. I suspect it's just more a product of living lives that are fundamentally different and detached from ours. And sometimes even just indifference is bad enough. Ownership here doesn't care about winning. This season has made that fundamentally clear. The Twins are a status accessory for the Pohlads, something that opens doors to deals and keeps them in rarified air. For me, it's still the time I spent with my Dad in 1987 and 1991. It's in my blood. It's a part of who we are together. It's part of what it means to me to be Minnesotan. But I gotta admit, that's fading fast. And it's not even so much the losing. Teams lose big games. Heartbreak is a part of baseball, and a huge part of smaller-market baseball. I get that. What I can't stand is an nearly endless cycle of incompetence and excuses. The Twins are not a serious team. They do not rise to face a challenge. They do not develop championship-caliber players. Honestly, the only things I missed were the articles and comments here and the Gleeman/Bonnes banter. Otherwise, my blood pressure really, really enjoyed taking a long break from Twins baseball. I suspect the next break will be longer.
  2. Basically, since the Twins hosted the Yankees in mid-May, I checked out. I didn't follow the Twins even a bit. No box scores, no standings, no Twins Daily, no Gleeman and the Geek, nothing. It's actually surprisingly easy to forget this team exists when you don't make a point to follow them. On Sunday, I checked back in. Based on a few things I overheard over the summer, my guess was that they were at least in Wild Card contention. And I guess they were, kinda. Here's what I want to say to those who were here the whole time: I'm sorry. You deserve better. We all deserve better. And if this organizational incompetence is too much for you, if you want to finally break away, it is possible for months at a time, maybe even a whole season. I'm not a betting man, but based on what I've read and seen just this week, the future of this organization is not what one could call bright. This is a slow team with undisciplined young players and very little direction or fire. Sounds like the farm system isn't in great shape, either. And while I used to push for a rebuild, I don't think I care enough at this point. I'm just planning on enjoying another Twins-free summer next year. Feel free to join me.
  3. I thought it would take 3 months to come back from an 8 game deficit. Twins did it in 3 weeks. I was wrong. I'd love to keep being wrong about this season.
  4. Season over. Again. Kidding. Try to win or split every series, fellas. Build on the momentum of the last few weeks.
  5. If only Channel 9 were still around and the Twins were on TV every night. What a wonderful streak. Sure, it started against the dregs, but confidence has been built, and a little swagger matters.
  6. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to play at the MLB level. And then to struggle as a young player, to deal with injuries, and then to bounce back and put yourself right back into contention for a starting role? I have a ton of respect for Miranda and his early returns this year.
  7. Nine game winning streaks are fun. We should try a few more of these this season.
  8. This is ... spectacular. It's goofy nonsense like this that loosens a team up, puts a little wind behind the sails and changes the narrative for what was a crash-and-burn start to the season. I love it. May the storied summer sausage take this team to a title.
  9. Hey, good for Miranda for making the most of his return and forcing the club to look elsewhere for a demotion. That's the kind of resilience I really like to see out of young guys on the cusp.
  10. I'm going to petition the Commissioner's Office to see if I can get a few more games against the Chisox and the Angels put into the Twins schedule this year.
  11. Every win while Correa and Lewis are out of the lineup is important. If this team can hover around/above .500 until June, then I might have to soften my stance about the season being over.
  12. "That was a season-saving series" ... is what I would've said if I wasn't already on the record here saying the season couldn't be saved. Hey, they beat who they had to beat. That's step one in getting out of this hole.
  13. Here's what puzzles me - many fans here seem to rule out the coaching staff as even a potential source of the problem, but then they admit (rightfully) that there's enough non-injured talent remaining on the roster to be at least be a .500 team. All that remains is to shake a fist at the baseball gods. No. Failure to live up to expectations, inability to hit with RISP, injuries on low-contact plays, poor defense and baserunning - these are hallmarks of Twins baseball under this coaching staff. There have been instances and stretches where these issues have faded, but when it rains bad baseball with this team, it pours. Ownership didn't set the payroll up for "next-level" playoff success, that's true. The FO didn't make the shrewdest off-season moves, that's also true. But in terms of direction, development, preparation, accountability - in a word, coaching - that's where this team really continues to suffer.
  14. In January, the heat went out in our home. Gas furnace. The fan worked, wiring good, sensors clean. It was a cracked ignitor. Whenever a spark was needed, there was no ignition. Can't think of a better metaphor than that. This team just cannot ignite, and the players needed to stop the spiral just aren't on the field. I watched a bit of the game for the first time this year. Zero heat, zero fire - just no life. Regardless of what happens against the White Sox, I truly believe it's over already. Eight games back? Sorry, folks - with this roster and rotation, it's not going to happen.
  15. Read your post again. You're saying that players with stronger established career track records (5 of the 7 you mention have played the majority of their careers outside of MN) are suddenly struggling with the Twins ... and the coaching staff here has *nothing* to do with it? I'm not sure you're making the case you think you are. I sometimes wonder what folks think "coaches" are actually hired to do. Fill out a lineup card? Take up a spot on the bench? Answer a few postgame questions? Presumably, they might at some time be responsible for player development and performance. Crazy thought, I know.
  16. When the Twins were being predicted as the ALC winner for 2024, that's when I started rethinking any grand optimism I had. When have the Twins - especially Rocco's Twins - ever lived up to high expectations? For some reason, expectations almost seem to create a mental block for this club. They just fall apart, whether it be at the start or at the end of a season. I understand the Lewis and Correa injuries have taken a toll, but come on. This isn't some fluke poor start - this is veering into "total system failure" territory again.
  17. "Organizational enema." Ouch. I guess I like the old term: rebuild. But I agree. We've given this staff, this approach and this philosophy every chance to turn this club into a winner. We got a couple of playoff wins, which were great and fun and mostly against an bad postseason Blue Jays team. We're not at the end of the road, but it's in sight. This team chronically underperforms. It's uninspiring Twins baseball 75% of the time. No more.
  18. I'm sorry, I'm ready to call it. This is 2021 again. It's over, friends. I know it's early, and I think there's every chance of playing +/- .500 baseball through the summer. But this hole is just too deep, too sudden and too demoralizing. You can lose a division in April. It just happened ... again.
  19. Aren't they first-place teams because they've played the Twins? This team might be making the competition look good by comparison.
  20. They did, and it was beautiful. That's the kind of team I want to see at Target Field ... and not just in the visitor's dugout.
  21. Exactly this. Philosophy and execution are two very different things. Popkins has proven to be a weak spot in the coaching staff. The Twins lose nothing from letting him go. If anything, the players may appreciate a sign from the executives that failure of this magnitude isn't going to be tolerated. But then again, these are the Twins.
×
×
  • Create New...